Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Not contributing to the World Cup predictions because I'd literally be better picking names out of a hat, but I have 2 contributions.

Rafa Benitez is a wizard:

Raul Ibanez, left fielder:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Another submission, though it's not a gif!

The Special One up to his Special Tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ninzFW4MIo

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Jenner posted:

Argentina is my soccor team of choice because they do well enough but still choke all the time so they'll never win a Cup. I'm glad you're in on my dream. :allears:

Well picking them means that I'll go out of my way to watch all of their matches since I've invested myself. Go... Argy's?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

I would support the Argies, seeing as they are the traditional fucker of England after Germany, but their Malvinas poo poo has gone too far.

So, Deutschland über alles!

Sicke
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly I just wanted a seal picture

My predictions for the contest.

edit: Oh and if my version of FM 14 is correct then the final is England 2-1 Over Aregentina, but no one actually thinks that is possible do they?

Sicke fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 12, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
England beat Belgium 1-0 in this LP back in 2014, so based upon our experiences we should probably start accepting how insufferable the English will be in a month's time. :)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

habeasdorkus posted:

England beat Belgium 1-0 in this LP back in 2014, so based upon our experiences we should probably start accepting how insufferable the English will be in a month's time. :)

The entire Ray Parlour will be gassed, not by the mods, but because the :smug: will be so great they will all choke and die.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

:toxx:

If England win the World Cup, I will literally attempt to eat one of my hats.

This is how unlikely that is.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe

Watching Darvish manipulate a baseball once every five days is pretty much all Texas Rangers fans have left to cling to this year...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Board Vote and Director Applications are now closed.

There are some sweet, sweet gifs, I'm only sorry I have five positions to name.

Prediction contest is still open, and will be until after Monday's games.

ETA:

It was very hard to pick just five gifs, my first pass through I picked close to 20 contenders.

Managing Directors

tatanktonk for RA Dickey's perfect knuckleball:

The knuckleball is my favorite of all baseball pitches. It's only used by a few pitchers in the entire game, and it's close to 30 mph/50 kph slower than the best fastballs. It's thrown with as little spin as possible, which makes the air currents jostle it about like crazy, and makes it unpredictable to not just the batter but the catcher. You can see the catcher flinching away, expecting to get hit by the ball's late movement. Also, because a knuckleballer is all about finesse, they tends to last well into their 40s. Which means that if I went out and devoted the next five years to the knuckleball I might still become a major league baseball player with a six or seven year career.

McGavin for Jaarko Ruutu ending a fight before it began:

Ruutu was a long time right winger in the NHL. He wasn't a brawler, but he got into his share of fights over the years. Here he's seen having words with a Calgary Flames player, and when the opposing player turns around to fight Ruutu, dropping his gloves, Ruutu drops him on his rear end. The best part is that the Flames player also got sent to the penalty box, the player who drops his gloves first in a fight is usually hit with an instigator penalty.

Directors

Geokinesis for the heading seal:

There's a lot less to say about this gif. It's Arsenal's Lukas Podolski heading a ball with a seal. The seal has significantly better balance skills than Pod.

Eifert Posting for why I'm never giving a child a foul ball:

I've been to probably 100ish baseball games in my life. I've never gotten a foul ball. I've never even come particularly close, with my nearest miss being one at Fenway Park in May where I was still an aisle and six seats away. So if I got a foul ball, and some little kid wanted it, I would tell them to shove off and learn that life is pain. Especially since the little brat would probably toss it back onto the field.

Trundel for the screaming line drive:

Anyone who's been a pitcher for a long enough period can sympathize with this. You throw a ball 60 feet at 90 miles per hour (or 45 feet and about 50 miles per hour in my case when I was in little league) and it comes back even faster and directly at your face. In Scott Feldman's case, he had only just started to react and had it been an unluckier circumstance he'd have gotten a trip to the hospital. Happily, the ball didn't really come that close to him:

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 12, 2014

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Apparently I needed to include more propaganda in favour of the Greatest Gif Of All Time, the amazing Rolling Raptor. :argh:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oh, I'm well aware of the Rollerskating Raptor's pedigree. I always thought it was an amusing but overhyped gif. And I am the God-King.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Every year during March Madness I fill out a bracket. I don't really know much about college basketball, but I still like to participate in the betting pools. Since I know if I actually try I'll lose to the people who actually watch basketball on a consistent basis, I like to leave things to chance and flip a coin for every single matchup and see who the fates decide will win. Last year I had 6 seed UMass beating 15 seed Eastern Kentucky in the finals. Needless to say, I lost by a huge margin. It is fun though, so I thought I'd do it again here. instead of flipping a coin for the group stages I used a random number generator.

The coin flip gods have chosen France. Also I messed up and forgot to put in the tie-breaker, so I'd like to say 18 goals

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

I'm boring. :(

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Can you post a full breakdown of the in game 2014 World Cup for comparisons sake? It'd be neat to see how they compare.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh, I'm well aware of the Rollerskating Raptor's pedigree. I always thought it was an amusing but overhyped gif. And I am the God-King.

Well I'm still voting to give you a $90m budget and for you to take a road trip to North America and Australia.

Dick.

;)

P.S., try to schedule a friendly against the Vancouver Whitecaps! I'd love to see my home team lose another game.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Teddybear posted:

Can you post a full breakdown of the in game 2014 World Cup for comparisons sake? It'd be neat to see how they compare.

Spoiler: England won it against Belgium in the final. :psyduck:

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

That's the most American choice of Gifs you could have made :colbert:

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Spoiler: England won it against Belgium in the final. :psyduck:

Still not as weird as the 2014 World Cup in my current game of FM2014, in which Russia demolished Spain 3-0 in the final. Even more bizarre was every single non-European team being eliminated before the quarter-finals.

Also I'm quite sad at getting beaten out to posting Ruutu.gif now. :(

Am I being unsporting by wanting to wait until the very last minute to post my prediction entry, so I'll have the maximum amount of information? :v:

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Viscardus posted:

Am I being unsporting by wanting to wait until the very last minute to post my prediction entry, so I'll have the maximum amount of information? :v:
If Neymar's leg falls off during the opening ceremony, we'll know who to blame!

The World Cup in my current save game (ignore that date, it's the 2014 one). Belgium repeated next year and then France won it in Qatar and, showing that FM does a fine job of simulating FIFA corruption, Morocco.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Camoes posted:

That's the most American choice of Gifs you could have made :colbert:

I didn't include a single basketball or football one!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

habeasdorkus posted:

List invalid. No buttfumble :colbert:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

One would almost think you were a fan of that girls sport, rounders. :smuggo:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Baseball is the most gif-able sport. It is known.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Dammit I forgot the Brandon Knight coffin gif.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
What the hell, I know nothing at all about international soccer other than it's fun to watch.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

tarbrush posted:

List invalid. No buttfumble :colbert:

I watched the buttfumble live. It lost for being played out.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

habeasdorkus posted:

Fair enough.

I'm gonna watch it again a few times just the same.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
Ok, here's my bracket:

Im gonna lose this, but what the hell, I'm never right for the NCAA bracket anyway (especially when my Final Four pic gets knocked out in the first round [gently caress you Tar Heels :argh:])

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So how's Kais Rouissi doing? I remember his tremendous stats as a 14-year old wonderkid in the Football League.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Huzzah! It was a tough choice between that Feldman one and about three gifs of Astros players screwing up royally, but Feldman won out because the longer I looked at it the harder I laughed.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

I watched the replay on ESPN with my grandmother, I'd never seen a 90-year old woman laugh that hard before.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Dreamsicle posted:

So how's Kais Rouissi doing? I remember his tremendous stats as a 14-year old wonderkid in the Football League.

He's 17 and would have been our second best player at any point before we hit the Championship. He'll need a couple-three more years to develop, but he's well on his way to stardom.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

So for anyone watching the first game of the World Cup today, that was a perfect example of a referee straight up being out to get a team from the start. So it does happen in real life as well, the game emulates it quite well!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
To be fair, Croatia's keeper is god awful and they probably would have at most gotten a draw, but yeah, that ref was solidly and blatantly on Brazil's side, and that's two free points (at least) to Brazil and one taken point (at most) from Croatia.

I mean, though, Croatia's keeper got his hands to the ball and didn't have the power to deflect it. Then the third goal was just weak.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, today was a perfect example of how soccer really needs both instant replay for penalty calls and more than one ref on the field. It's always struck me as crazy that an area much bigger than an NFL field has only one guy watching all the action, and no way to challenge or check bad, game changing decisions. Without that penalty call, Croatia likely walks away with at least a point. They got screwed beyond belief.

As I said in the game thread over on The Ray Parlour, we should kickstart a hitman from the yakuza to kill that refs family so he can enjoy his bribe money while burying his family.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Now, now, let's not all just assume that that referee was bribed.

Japan are competing this year. He might have ensured an easy ride for them instead.

\/ Far too boring. Conspiracy theories ho!

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 12, 2014

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Or, more likely, he just had a shocker.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

As I said in the game thread over on The Ray Parlour, we should kickstart a hitman from the yakuza to kill that refs family so he can enjoy his bribe money while burying his family.

That's uh, something Habeas. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sky Shadowing posted:

I mean, though, Croatia's keeper got his hands to the ball and didn't have the power to deflect it. Then the third goal was just weak.

All three goals were pretty weak, a better goalie would've made the saves. Refereeing was atrocious, but as a Brazilian soccer fan I'm used to atrocious and just roll with the punches regardless of who gets screwed, my team or their adversaries. By all accounts we should've tied or lost this match, tho. Except for Oscar, Luis Gustavo and maybe David Luiz (ugh, it hurts me physically to type good things about him) everyone had a shite game.

• Locked thread