Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I really hope the glide speed is that fast in the actual game. I always felt like Batman was taking a leisurely break when you ended up having to glide for a while.

Until you get the grapnel boost. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
At first I thought the glitching was a glitch, but when nobody did anything after the first few times, I just got a huge smile on my face since I knew it was Scarecrow's deal. Scarecrow is my favorite Batman villain ever and I'm glad he's getting such a big role in Arkham Knight after being completely shafted out of City and Origins.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yes, actually.

Until the glitching started making crow noises.

And completely stopped once Scarecrow showed up on screen.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Has Rocksteady said anything about the framerate they're going for? 1080p seems obvious for resolution, but I'm guessing it'll be 30 fps judging from that video?

Also, I hope that some of the actual game developers are at E3. I really like Dax Ginn's enthusiasm, but I'd love to hear more about the technical aspects of the city, gameplay, etc.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
That video glitch scared the poo poo out of me because when I first started using this computer I was having an issue with HD videos freezing and crashing my PC. Well done, Scarecrow.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

They pulled the same thing, even more convincingly, during AA, when one of the Scarecrow sequences (the last, I think) simulated a corrupted disk freeze and a restart.

They completely got me with that. Even on my second playthrough (I'm dumb).

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I've played Metal Gear Solid 2 way too many times for that poo poo to scare me. :smug:

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
The Assassin's Creed IV demo at Sony's conference last year actually crashed, so I really thought the game was glitching out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mogomra posted:

I've played Metal Gear Solid 2 way too many times for that poo poo to scare me. :smug:

I am fully inclined to believe that Scarecrow is at least partially inspired by either Psycho Mantis and/or the ending segment of MGS2.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

I guess it's a bit different in the comics when it's the comic book world, but with Nolan kind of stuff the problem is how Batman is so functional despite being so broken: "I stayed 8 years inside my manor without seeing anybody else than Alfred because my girlfriend died and the instant I decide to leave I'm completely functional human being in a top atheletes body." You can't be hosed up and still put up a top performance physically and mentally and have such a high level of skill and cunning. Basically every iteration of Batman has him suffer mentally on some level and still be plaguede by his parents murder after 20+ years but not counting a couple of lines where he states he sometimes feels bad mental problems don't affect him at all. That's wasted exploration.

You and I must have watched different movies, because the very first thing Batman does when he unretires in that movie is accidentally prevent the police from catching Bane. Like, multiple characters point this out to him.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
He didn't accidentally do anything. The police guy was an idiot who decided that rather than chase Bane, he was going to follow Batman for some reason. Also, the police are idiots in those movies. Holy poo poo, sending your entire force into the sewer is not a great idea

I found it funny that all the tanks he was blowing up were unmanned. I guess that is the go to excuse for using the Batmobile.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

kalonZombie posted:

Scarecrow is my favorite Batman villain ever and I'm glad he's getting such a big role in Arkham Knight after being completely shafted out of City and Origins.

I swear, if Joker shows up to steal the spotlight halfway through the game I'm gonna.... well I'm probably gonna just keep continue playing for dozens of hours anyway, but still!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

blackguy32 posted:

I found it funny that all the tanks he was blowing up were unmanned. I guess that is the go to excuse for using the Batmobile.

I wonder if they're tieing-in/rebooting a HARDAC storyline (ie, the Arkham Knight is a Batman-based robot): http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/HARDAC

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I swear, if Joker shows up to steal the spotlight halfway through the game I'm gonna.... well I'm probably gonna just keep continue playing for dozens of hours anyway, but still!

I'd be really surprised if he didn't show up in a scarecrow fear toxin trip somewhere. :shrug:

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Actually, it would be amazing if a random character reveals himself to be the Joker complete with a monologue about his plan - then 10 minutes later Batman realizes he's been exposed to Fear Toxin and hallucinating it all and the game continues.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
He's probably going to show up, but not necessarily be in there. I think more so in the sense Scarecrow is gonna Batman go on a guilt trip with the death of Joker with hallucinations and what not.

Maybe I might give the writing too much credit, but BTAS was pretty brutal with Batman what he fears the most. Letting Harvey Dent turn into two face and failing his parents.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mogomra posted:

I'd be really surprised if he didn't show up in a scarecrow fear toxin trip somewhere. :shrug:

I'll be fine with that. I really just don't want another interesting potential storyline/character thrown out the window in favor of MORE Joker domination. I don't dislike the Joker character, I think his storylines/character in all the Arkham games has been great - it's just that in the last two games they came at the expense of what looked like potentially great stuff for the likes of Hugo Strange, Bane and ESPECIALLY Black Mask. The last two aren't Rocksteady's fault, of course, but I'm really hopeful they've moved on from having him take center stage.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Guys I'm an awful Bat-fan: I didn't really like the Scarecrow sections :ohdear:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Joe Man posted:

I wonder if they're tieing-in/rebooting a HARDAC storyline (ie, the Arkham Knight is a Batman-based robot): http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/HARDAC

I seem to recall the HARDAC episode scaring the poo poo out of younger me so I am all for it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
drat it, you know what? I just want a straight up B:TAS game.

edit: Is it just me, or is there a shape or something formed by the different screen artifacts on the E3 demo? I think I can make some letters out.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 12, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

ToastyPotato posted:

That video glitch scared the poo poo out of me because when I first started using this computer I was having an issue with HD videos freezing and crashing my PC. Well done, Scarecrow.
I saw the "glitch" coming during the Sony conference. It would've been extra funny if they pumped in coloured smoke or something to be 'pretend fear toxin'. And then see who in the audience freaks the gently caress out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

timeandtide posted:

Actually, it would be amazing if a random character reveals himself to be the Joker complete with a monologue about his plan - then 10 minutes later Batman realizes he's been exposed to Fear Toxin and hallucinating it all and the game continues.

I would actually love that very much.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

I wonder who this dead hero cop is.

Fast terrible theory: He is now the Arkham Knight, brought back from the dead by a chance encounter with a Lazarus Pit, now hellbent on taking Gotham back from these freaks and the even bigger threat that has taken it upon himself to fight back in the very streets of the city, of which one encounter inadvertently cost this innocent man and officer of the law his life. :tinfoil:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

redbackground posted:

I wonder who this dead hero cop is.

Fast terrible theory: He is now the Arkham Knight, brought back from the dead by a chance encounter with a Lazarus Pit, now hellbent on taking Gotham back from these freaks and the even bigger threat that has taken it upon himself to fight back in the very streets of the city, of which one encounter inadvertently cost this innocent man and officer of the law his life. :tinfoil:

Dead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW7KqfSToQU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My guess is he's Azrael dude.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

My guess is he's Azrael dude.
Oh poo poo, I bet you're right.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm wondering if the Arkham Knight might be their version or part of their version of the 3 ghosts of Batman story by Grant Morrison (that was a Morrison story right?) from a few years back. Maybe replace the psychologist from that story who was Simon Hurt if I recall correctly with Scarecrow instead? Or do the Dr Hurt storyline and have him be the mastermind behind all the villains teaming up, that'd be a pretty crazy way to finish out the Arkham games.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Saw a gameplay demo they were holding at e3. Under spoilers for the wary.

Gameplay stuff:

- the city is crazy vertical now
- the batmobile does come with one button, but it certain areas you will need to create ramps for plot reasons to have your batmobile get there
- the batmobile comes with a winch that functions to pull things down like doors
- you can drive the batmobile remotely
- there are Batmobile Assisted Takedowns, which consists of Batman dragon punching a goon into the air and shooting a round into his gut
- environmental takedowns remind me of sleeping dogs; batman put a goon's head through a transformer/fusebox thing
- there are also counter throws
- martial artist types return but with swords this time
- you can go from gliding straight into a vent seamlessly with one button (looks great)
- Fear Takedowns function as mini qtes; you activate fear takedown from a prompt and then press a button to takedown each goon

story stuff:

- Arkham Knight looking for revenge against Batman
- claims to know all of Batman's techniques
-voice sounds a lot like Payback from Batman Beyond
- Defers to scarecrow
- trains army in Venezuela
- whiny and smug
-scarecrow has enough fear toxin to cover the entire East coast

looks unbelievable.

edit: added fear takedown info

hiddenriverninja fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 12, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

story stuff:

- whiny and smug
Jason Todd confirmed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Where'd you see that Arkham Knight stuff at? I didn't see him in any of the demos.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I've been meaning to post how hyped I am about this game but I've been too busy walking around in a shell shocked stupor after seeing the recent gameplay videos.

Just. Goddamn dude. :aaaaa:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Where'd you see that Arkham Knight stuff at? I didn't see him in any of the demos.

WBIE has a theater setup with a rotating schedule: Batman, Shadow of Mordor, MKX, and the witcher 3, in South Hall. Got a sweet batshirt with a flaming batlogo too

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

hiddenriverninja posted:

WBIE has a theater setup with a rotating schedule: Batman, Shadow of Mordor, MKX, and the witcher 3, in South Hall. Got a sweet batshirt with a flaming batlogo too

Any idea what hardware they were demoing the game on?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Any idea what hardware they were demoing the game on?

I didnt see any machines, but iirc the button prompts were PS4.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Discendo Vox posted:

They pulled the same thing, even more convincingly, during AA, when one of the Scarecrow sequences (the last, I think) simulated a corrupted disk freeze and a restart.

Yeah, I know. Once the whole screen freaked out and the stage lights were flashing in rhythm with it I knew what was happening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I got hands-on with Arkham Knight and holy poo poo the combat is fuckin' better in pretty much every way. They really managed to add a bunch of new stuff without making it feel intrusive and the Batmobile is a blast to use.

The demo unit was a PS4 according ot the producer.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In what ways was it better? Faster? More moves? Counter canceling?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

In what ways was it better? Faster? More moves? Counter canceling?

It's faster to begin with.

You now have environmental takedowns, done the same way as regular takedowns but context-sensitive and without needing a bar to fill it up. Instead the combo meter determines how much damage the environmental takedown does to the enemy. You can also do this with the Batmobile's taser gun by throwing enemies up into the air so they get sniped.

You can steal pipes from enemies by stunning them and grabbing it right out of their hands, turnning you into the unstoppable goddamn force that is Batman with a heavy-rear end lead pipe. A lead pipe you can use to do a takedown or a beatdown.

The Batclaw takedown now can be chained into knocking them into the air followed by either a brutal kick or grabbing them out of the air and slamming them into the ground.

Your attacks will now hit downed enemies and you can press R2 to pull downed enemies to their feet.

While glide-kicking you can use gadgets on other enemies besides the one you're locked onto.

Beatdown is faster and even more brutal.

This isn't combat-related but you can chain grapples together or cancel the grapple animation after it starts.

When countering you can now do a regular counter or a throw counter where you grab the enemy and throw them into other enemies.

The item bar is now a pop-up radial menu instead of the annoying-rear end one from the previous games.

I can go on.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 13, 2014

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I can go on.

Out with it, man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Out with it, man!

You can dive right out of the Batmobile to slam into a poor enemy's face in the most hilarious way possible.

There's now a Farcry 3 style "Fear takedown" which lets you pop out of hiding and take down multiple closely-bunched enemies at once.

I didn't get to see any of the new gadgets except for the Sensor Batarang which is kinda cutscene-gimmicky but the controls felt smooth as hell. (And used the Arkham City control setup on the PS4, not the Arkham Origins, which is a big plus.)

The ninja enemies from AC are back but remixed. They can be countered now (Batman catches the blade on his gauntlet) but in exchange they have all sorts of gimmicks. Like they'll leap off each other's backs to come at you from unexpected angles and you can air-counter them. The Bane-like thugs from Origins are back too although they're a bit more smoothly balanced and show up earlier.

You can also use crates and objects in the environment in the same way enemies can now. They're also environmental takedowns and have the same combo = damage design.

• Locked thread