Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God this game sounds amazing.

Also I'm kinda happy to hear that the throw attack has been put back into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

ImpAtom posted:

Beatdown is faster and even more brutal.

This is the single greatest thing I've ever heard. I -- I just can't wait...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mogomra posted:

This is the single greatest thing I've ever heard. I -- I just can't wait...

I am just saying that the first thing I tried when I stole a lead pipe was the beatdown and it was glorious.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God this game sounds amazing.

Also I'm kinda happy to hear that the throw attack has been put back into the game.

It was in AC. Robin had it and it was way funnier.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My primary combat concern is the interaction of different enemy types in the freeflow combat structure. There have always been certain enemy types that just sort of don't mesh with the system and can occasionally give you a surprise combo breaker- this was especially bad in AO, where that was seemingly half of the enemies. I'm hoping this doesn't occur in AK.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

It was in AC. Robin had it and it was way funnier.

I got all the achievements in that game (twice!) and I somehow completely forgot this.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I got all the achievements in that game (twice!) and I somehow completely forgot this.

I just love how he swings the guy like he's playing a game on the playground before throwing him into a group of guys who collapse like bowling pins.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

ImpAtom posted:

I am just saying that the first thing I tried when I stole a lead pipe was the beatdown and it was glorious.

I can't wait to hear a justification for how a thug is "unconscious" after getting a lead pipe beatdown.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

CuwiKhons posted:

I can't wait to hear a justification for how a thug is "unconscious" after getting a lead pipe beatdown.

There will be a newspaper lying somewhere on the ground with the headline: "Eccentric Billionare Bruce Wayne leads new Gothman-wide Rubber Pipe initiative."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CuwiKhons posted:

Massive control.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Let me also add that you can REVERSE BEATDOWN thugs with your elbows when they try to hold you from behind.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
This is already GOTY material and it's not even halfway done. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

hiddenriverninja posted:

Let me also add that you can REVERSE BEATDOWN thugs with your elbows when they try to hold you from behind.

:suspense:

Gonna play this game pretty much forever.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
Day 1 status definitely confirmed. Since I'm pre-ordering it anyway, hopefully there will be some sweet pre-order goodies.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Kaincypher posted:

hopefully there will be some sweet pre-order goodies.

Hopefully not. That entire process needs to stop.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'd wait until 2016 for this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

My primary combat concern is the interaction of different enemy types in the freeflow combat structure. There have always been certain enemy types that just sort of don't mesh with the system and can occasionally give you a surprise combo breaker- this was especially bad in AO, where that was seemingly half of the enemies. I'm hoping this doesn't occur in AK.

I can't speak for later ones but the Combat Masters and the charging thugs both work great.

Charging Thugs are mini-banes but less instrusive. They can't barrel dudes over and can be effortlessly evaded over or batarang'd. They flow really well into combat and the camera was good about showing them.

THe Combat Masters are juts the Ninjas with some upgrades. If you didn't have a problem with the Ninjas, you won't with them because they're very similar but with a few more gimmicks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The Bane-like thugs from Origins are back too although they're a bit more smoothly balanced and show up earlier.

So I guess this confirms Bane. I just hope that he's not a dumbass again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So I guess this confirms Bane. I just hope that he's not a dumbass again.

No, sorry, I'm unclear here. They are Bane-like in that they fight like Bane. They go into corners and charge at you in an attempt to grab you. They have no Venom tanks and are just regular thugs in design.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My faith in Batman has been restored, need to buy Arkham Knight on release.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

holy poo poo game of the year every year

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I was hoping it would make it this year though so that Origins could be a PS+ game in the US. I still haven't touched it yet.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Kaincypher posted:

Day 1 status definitely confirmed. Since I'm pre-ordering it anyway, hopefully there will be some sweet pre-order goodies.

I think Harley Quinn challenge maps are the only pre-order bonus they've announced so far. Good God I can't wait to play this game. I've replayed Asylum and City at least 5 times over, but this sounds dense enough to replay 20 times over.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can't believe they've made Batman more brutal than before.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
This is the darkest, sexiest Batman yet.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man, after the whole shitstorm that was Mass Effect 3 I promised myself I'd never, ever, ever pre-order another video game. Ever.

But this game...this fuckin' game...it is testing my resolve.

Goddammit.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Look at you lot, salivating like Pavlov's dog at the thought of preorder goodies.

My resolve for never pre-ordering remains rock-solid. Poverty is the best panacea for remaining financially frugal :colbert:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Look at you lot, salivating like Pavlov's dog at the thought of preorder goodies.

My resolve for never pre-ordering remains rock-solid. Poverty is the best panacea for remaining financially frugal :colbert:

Given how much I whored myself out for all of the Arkham Origins pre-orders and season passes at full price, another excellent Rocksteady Batman game will be getting all my money for any scraps they want to throw out.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Are there ever any preorder discounts for big titles like this? Honestly, being able to play as the series' most annoying character doesn't interest me at all.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't give a poo poo about pre-order bonuses, I just want the game. Like...I know I should wait. I should wait a year or so until it's, like, seven bucks on Steam. I should just play through my backlog until then. Nowadays I don't buy any game more expensive than $20, but I make two exceptions: World of Warcraft expansions and Arkham games. So...I know I'm gonna go out and buy it as soon as it's available...why not just pre-order it, then?

Then again...I've only ever pre-ordered two games before this: Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3. I don't want my pre-order curse to ruin all you guys' fun.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I can't believe they've made Batman more brutal than before.

I'm hoping - praying - that the sort of mutilation and crippling injuries he inflicts on the thugs will be a plot point. It was touched on in Origins but never really gained any real momentum.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm hoping - praying - that the sort of mutilation and crippling injuries he inflicts on the thugs will be a plot point. It was touched on in Origins but never really gained any real momentum.

I can still remember my first playthrough of Arkham Asylum when you save that goon from falling into the Joker toxin.

"Good job, Batman! Are you gonna carry him to safet-

:stare:"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

I cannot get the mental image of Batman hup-hup-hupping his pinned bent arms back and forth out of my mind.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Batman's just going to look really excited that he's being hugged, pumping his arms up and down really fast like he is. Yay! Hugs!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Well, Scarecrow does bring it up in that one trailer, so it's a possibility.

There's also the possibility that Batman will just be all "No, shut up, I'm Batman." like in Origins too, though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Batman's just going to look really excited that he's being hugged, pumping his arms up and down really fast like he is. Yay! Hugs!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Right now all I want in life is for Batman's reverse beatdown to look exactly like this.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Did they finally get rid of QTE's for opening grates? After like 6 years of playing these games it still bugs me. The video looked super cool though, opening the grate/diving in felt super smooth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lechtansi posted:

Did they finally get rid of QTE's for opening grates? After like 6 years of playing these games it still bugs me. The video looked super cool though, opening the grate/diving in felt super smooth.

I didn't get to test. I instinctively slid through the only grate I saw.

(The Rocksteady guy who was guiding the demo said that everyone at Rockysteady does the same!)

There's a different yank-thing-off-wall part that doesn't have a QTE but looks like it would in an old game but that isn't confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, it is quicker.

• Locked thread