Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

smackfu posted:

To prevent future anguish, the freebies are announced in the monthly store calendar, which is usually released a month early. Here's the July one, which is pretty crummy in my opinion. A minifig with $75 purchase?

http://www.bricksandbloks.com/july-2014-lego-store-calendar-deals-promos-events/

Yeah, I think the problem was that I jumped the gun and ordered the ecto-1 right when it became available, which was a few hours before midnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

If it hasn't been shipped yet you could try calling them and asking whether they could add it to the order, might be lucky.

Also, does anyone know how to build a continuous diagonal slope without gaps in the height of the pieces? Every combination of pieces I am trying leaves a jagged edge in LDD, because I can't find a slope piece that has a starting height of a plate. I can get close by putting two headlight bricks in each other, but there has got to be an easier way.

Ika fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 6, 2014

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

smackfu posted:

To prevent future anguish, the freebies are announced in the monthly store calendar, which is usually released a month early. Here's the July one, which is pretty crummy in my opinion. A minifig with $75 purchase?

http://www.bricksandbloks.com/july-2014-lego-store-calendar-deals-promos-events/

Thank you....you've just made my wife happy because I have no need to spend $75 in July (TMNT is not my thing).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well if there's something strange in the neighbourhood, don't call me. Took ages with the Ghostbusters set. I am terrible and need numbers on my bags.

Most complicated minifigures ever. Not so much the guys but the Proton Packs. Also I may have got hair mixed up at first.

Some really interesting parts uses on the Ecto-1. And I like all the silver. Actual printed blocks as well, very nice. And I now have a finer appreciation for all the gubbins on the roof. I always liked that design but never really thought about just how much junk is up there.

Anyway, if you like Lego and you like Ghostbusters, I recommend it very much. And if you don't, what's the matter with you? :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

xzzy posted:

The VW bug is like that too, small angle changes like that are just really hard in lego I guess.

I've never been able to do it, and apparently master builders can't do it either!

Tell me about it. It took an hour and a half to conjure up this "rounded" nosecone for the ship so that it didn't fall off at the slightest provocation.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

McDragon posted:

Well if there's something strange in the neighbourhood, don't call me. Took ages with the Ghostbusters set. I am terrible and need numbers on my bags.

Most complicated minifigures ever. Not so much the guys but the Proton Packs. Also I may have got hair mixed up at first.

Some really interesting parts uses on the Ecto-1. And I like all the silver. Actual printed blocks as well, very nice. And I now have a finer appreciation for all the gubbins on the roof. I always liked that design but never really thought about just how much junk is up there.

Anyway, if you like Lego and you like Ghostbusters, I recommend it very much. And if you don't, what's the matter with you? :v:

The silver pieces are by far my favorite bricks from the build. I would buy an entire set made of just those.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
So twice a week my 5 year old nephew comes over after school and here's what we've been building for the last few months.

Have since done a few more classic space sets as well. (not picture is all the 'not-space' lego we've built also).

full size image here http://imgur.com/g7pcgwU

Also gotta love kids, because about 20 seconds after taking this photo, he fell over crushing half the pictured sets.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

Copper For Lyfe posted:

Have since done a few more classic space sets as well. (not picture is all the 'not-space' lego we've built also).

Your old white Lego is remarkably white!

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Yea, theres a few peices that have gone all beigey/creamy, but 99% of it is in pretty remarkable condition.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

VaultAggie posted:

You lucky bastard, I'm pretty sure it was this set.

http://brickset.com/sets/6195-1/Neptune-Discovery-Lab

Just picked this up on eBay! £65 + delivery, 100% complete with box and instructions. Yay :3:

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Just picked this up on eBay! £65 + delivery, 100% complete with box and instructions. Yay :3:

This was my first purchase when I found bricklink. I had a few of the other Aquazone sets but always wanted this one. I bought an incomplete set that was missing around six pieces and I happened to have all of them from my old pieces. Best purchase ever. It looks fantastic on the shelf and my nephew loves playing with it when he visits.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Copper For Lyfe posted:

Yea, theres a few peices that have gone all beigey/creamy, but 99% of it is in pretty remarkable condition.

I have a nose bit like on that white ship with the space logo.. it's gone completely tan. I have no idea how that's possible, it's not sun damage because even the underside has changed color. The rest of my white bricks are mostly fine, it's just that one that decided to change. :iiam:

Good job having a TV antenna and space flag in one piece after all these years. :v:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

There's a reseller who put up his collection on ebay. Certainly has enough modulars to do a SimCity build.

HairSlut
Nov 29, 2011

Dogen posted:

Went to my local store today and they had the Ultra Agents stuff, but no SPACESHIP yet :(

Edit: does anyone have the Coruscant Police Gunship and know what the thing mounted on the door of the weapons storage compartment is? Some kind of portable shield generator? Is it even meant to be detached? Also the rear facing laser is kind of lovely. I mostly bought it for the amazing canopy pieces anyway, so whatever:

yeah its a little probe droid you can detach, there is no stand made of clear bricks included but it fits snugly inside with some of the blasters sticking straight out on te other door, the gunship is pretty cool, gets better when you have spare clones to put in

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A few more images of my build so far, I haven't had a chance to work on it again since the last image, but it has a fully fleshed out interior that will likely never be seen by anyone but IT'S THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

A few more images of my build so far, I haven't had a chance to work on it again since the last image, but it has a fully fleshed out interior that will likely never be seen by anyone but IT'S THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS!

Looks really part-dense. Are you going to have enough SPACESHIP!s left to build the rest of the ship?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am using two entire SPACESHIP x3 sets to build this, which is nearly 2,000 pieces. I haven't even gotten into the wings, wedges and slopes yet, and there's still plenty of plates left. I also likely have more than enough panels to cover up every visible stud, there's so goddamn many panels in SPACESHIP x3.

That assembly I'm holding is probably about ~300 pieces, if that. The bulk of it are the ship hull parts, which won't be very important to the rest of the build, and I wanted to find a place to use them.

edit: it's actually probably more on the 200 piece end. The hull parts really do make up a huge amount of the mass of it.

SPACESHIP x3 has tons and tons of useful parts.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 7, 2014

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

You lucky bastard, I'm pretty sure it was this set.

http://brickset.com/sets/6195-1/Neptune-Discovery-Lab

I wanted this so badly as a kid. Seems it can be bought for not much more than the original price, too.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Was there someone who wanted the balloon cart set from this months $75? I got one with my Ecto-1's and I don't need it, be happy to sell it off.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If anyone is still looking to swap Simpsons minifigs, I have two each of Homer, Marge, Maggie, Grampa, Milhouse, and Krusty. I've also got a balloon cart poly bag if you want that. I need Apu, Flanders, Ralph, Nelson, Wiggum, and Scratchy.

Built the Ecto-1 today. Looks absolutely fantastic and the minifigs are great. It really needs a Slimer to be perfect.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If anyone is still looking to swap Simpsons minifigs, I have two each of Homer, Marge, Maggie, Grampa, Milhouse, and Krusty. I've also got a balloon cart poly bag if you want that. I need Apu, Flanders, Ralph, Nelson, Wiggum, and Scratchy.

Built the Ecto-1 today. Looks absolutely fantastic and the minifigs are great. It really needs a Slimer to be perfect.

I will buy one of those Milhouse figs off of you. Unfortunately I don't have any of those trades you need.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I need some opinions. As some probably guessed, I'm building a 2,000 piece Vic Viper out of two Benny's Spaceship sets, as a Nnenn tribute, even though it's not Nnovvember(I couldn't wait to bust open those big boxes :v: ). I was originally going to make the two parts sticking out the sides of the assembly in the previous images into turrets, but Vic Viper wings wouldn't really fit well alongside those, so instead I made them into supports for the wings themselves which will allow them to be angled slightly downward in the final assembly if all goes well and allow for very rudimentary articulation.

Initially I was going to make them about 5 plates thick, to give them a little more visual weight than just being huge flat surfaces. Unfortunately this led to the realization that not only would they easily weigh a pound each and not be supportable by the former turret hinges, but also use up an unacceptable amount of pieces including all of the wing parts which I'll need at least some of for the future main hull, rear wings, tail fin and engines.

Instead I've taken a more visually ugly route that from above looks great, but below doesn't. It's just not possible to create that much surface area and make it pretty both on top and below, so I've sacrificed the less visible part's aesthetics for the whole of the build. I've attempted to make it less terrible while still being structurally sound, and would like to know what folks think of the wing design before I go ahead and assemble the opposite side.

I've still got a good amount to do for greebles and finishing touches, this is just to see if people like the basic layout of the wing and such. I'll probably put more detail on the wing-mounted rocket as well. I feel it's sufficiently "classic space"-ey enough, but I'll be putting some panels on it to make it mesh more with the central hull, hopefully still retaining that feel as a hybrid of old and new design.

Some more pictures of the front hull at different angles, too:

Also, if you see these cases and are serious about building stuff and want to save a shitload of time, buy them(I can't remember where I got them, pretty sure it was some non-Lowe's/Home Depot hardware store chain). Like half a dozen of them if you can. They're awesome, each section can be taken out easily, dumped out, then when you're done looking for the piece you need, pick them up and put them back in and slap it back into the case. It's made building this thing a breeze so far.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The Rage posted:

Was there someone who wanted the balloon cart set from this months $75? I got one with my Ecto-1's and I don't need it, be happy to sell it off.

Sent you a PM.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I am looking for a Mr. Burns if anyone has one, can trade a Nelson or Itchy

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I know you guys are really excited about the new sets but I wanted to share a project I tackled over the last few weeks. The Salt Lake County Library got in touch with ULUG a few months ago to see if they could do a display for the Library to celebrate 75 years of library services. Since the library wanted a long-term display, it was decided that they would order some Lego rather than anyone in the club using their own collection, and I got in touch with them in May to get the Lego ordered. The total order was 13,000 pieces, and I manged to use 11,000-12,000 pieces for the final sculpture. I started building on May 29th and finished on June 5th, taking up 20-30 hours of free time. It's currently on display at the Viridian Event Center in West Jordan, and will probably be traveling to other Salt Lake County Libraries until the end of the year.

Now I know those Sterilite shoeboxes hold about 3,000 1x2s. Handy!

The initial curve I was making for the 5 was too small so I started a new one.

Emmet has a nice view at least!

And here it is installed on Friday:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Beautiful! The curves on those pages are really quite excellent.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Very nice!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

InfinEight posted:

I know you guys are really excited about the new sets but I wanted to share a project I tackled over the last few weeks. The Salt Lake County Library got in touch with ULUG a few months ago to see if they could do a display for the Library to celebrate 75 years of library services. Since the library wanted a long-term display, it was decided that they would order some Lego rather than anyone in the club using their own collection, and I got in touch with them in May to get the Lego ordered. The total order was 13,000 pieces, and I manged to use 11,000-12,000 pieces for the final sculpture. I started building on May 29th and finished on June 5th, taking up 20-30 hours of free time. It's currently on display at the Viridian Event Center in West Jordan, and will probably be traveling to other Salt Lake County Libraries until the end of the year.

What does 13,000 pieces cost if you're in a LUG?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Sockser posted:

What does 13,000 pieces cost if you're in a LUG?

Unfortunately Bricklink doesn't give discounts to LUGs, and the library paid about $1000 to acquire the pieces.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

It's cost an arm and a lug. I'm sorry tart was horrible. On a side note, has anyone seen the arctic icebreaker in stores yet?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DrChud posted:

It's cost an arm and a lug. I'm sorry tart was horrible. On a side note, has anyone seen the arctic icebreaker in stores yet?

I saw it in a Lego store here in London.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

InfinEight posted:

Wow. Love the folding of the 'paper'.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I like how you did the curve of the paper, without even resorting to technic beams.

Also, I came up with some handrails for the CMF stand. Just ordered the parts, gonna test how well it works out in practice. I might make the red part a plate thicker.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Today I managed to get myself an 8037 set on Craigslist for $40:

I'll probably build it once, then tear it apart and use pieces for other things since it looks ugly as sin.

In looking at its listing in Brickset, it says that the R2 head and body pieces are unique to this set:

Is this true? I'm no expert, but that looks like the regular R2 pieces to me. What makes them different?

Fake edit: So looking at other Star Wars sets, it looks like there's several different R2 variants. Just yearly revisions?

Real edit: Man, so only now do I realize how sketch-tastic my transaction was when I bought this. The guy lived sort of in the ghetto. I mean...we live in a nice town, but it's the closest thing to a ghetto we have. I get some poolice update emails, and if you see one relating to drug-dealing, or domestic abuse, 80% chance it's from the area this guy (...and I...) live in.

So I drove up to the parking lot to a random convenience store that probably does 90% of its sales in forties. He walked out of his apartment across the street, I handed him a wad of 5's, took a quick peek inside the box, then went back to my car and drove away.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 10, 2014

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is this true? I'm no expert, but that looks like the regular R2 pieces to me. What makes them different?

Fake edit: So looking at other Star Wars sets, it looks like there's several different R2 variants. Just yearly revisions?

The mini R2-D2 from my UCS R2-D2 is different from the R2-D2 that came with the UCS Sandcrawler - the top has a silver tint on the new one while the old one is just a glossy grey

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The new shiny dome R2 is with the Anakins Interceptor and Sandcrawler so far

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Guardians of the Galaxy sets:
76019 is a decent little set for $20, you get a pretty cool little squiddy lookin fighter, a guy who I choose to believe is John C Reilly (nova officer), Star-Lord (with cool new guns and some kind of alternate battle helmet hair), and a rinky dink badguy ship with ok badguy fig. The badguy also has a sweet new ugh mold that reminds me of the plasma rifle from Halo.

76020 is very blah, though I don't care for the crummy playsets you often get in action themes anyhow. It is the only way to get Rocket Racoon (with crazy brick built cannon) and to a lesser extent Groot and blue alien enemy(?).

76021 is great. I love the interior space use, cockpit chair which is similar to quinjet, brick built stereo. On the outside it's a cool model, particularly the wedge shape and the ailerons(?) and the window in back.

I know nothing about the comic, but after seeing the latest preview in front of Edge of Tomorrow, I am pretty excited.

Edit: playing around with it some more, I just noticed the Milano has a good amount of interior clips for weapons (6 counting the one for the fire extinguisher), which I had thought would be for canopy support. If only there was a place to store Rocket's blaster thing.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 12, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Hello random folks that I don't know, Target has the Simpsons house for 200 bucks right now and I thought you might like to know.

http://www.target.com/p/lego-71006-the-simpsons-house/-/A-15211082#prodSlot=medium_1_5

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
I finished the Ghostbusters set last night. Good detail, neat construction, I like it a lot. It makes the Delorean look like crap. The only thing I don't like is Venkman's hair. It just doesn't look right. I bought all the Star Wars microfighters (except for the prequel poop) and love them. Each one is a simple build that only takes 15-30 minutes to build, but for 10$ each they're worth it. I did find it odd that there is a TIE interceptor instead of the much more iconic TIE fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Got my Aviation Adventures today. That is one badass plane, a great build and a steal for $42 on amazon. I would buy a ecto-1 but I have a feeling that will be a father's day present.