Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Excellent news, glad to see a new post and progress in your thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
How much would you have charged someone to do this stuff? Or quoted them if you knew everything in advance?

I am terrified to pay someone to start on my house because I am sure a lot of it looks like the insides of your house.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Far, far too much.

I don't really operate on normal person psychology when it comes to this stuff.

If it was a friend? Buy the beer, hand me tools. Stay out of the way unless you know what you are doing. No payment necessary.

For anyone else? gently caress. No. I would have to think long and hard about the amount of money that would persuade me to go through this bullshit on anyone else's house and I am sure it would be far over what a regular contractor would charge.

Of course, I've used that kind of math before and actually quoted someone and they thought it was reasonable and wanted me to do the job. I was kinda pissed about that, one of those "dammit I don't want to do this at all, but I will drown my sorrows in hundred dollar bills tonight" things.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

kastein posted:

If it was a friend? Buy the beer, hand me tools. Stay out of the way unless you know what you are doing. No payment necessary.

I like you. We are friends right?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Every time I read this thread I remember that you are not actually that much older than I am, and I get the urge to finish the ripping-my-apartment-apart job that I've started. Shame it's always gone midnight when I think that.

This thread rocks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I turn 28 in about a week. Not sure how the hell that happened.

Midnight isn't too late to start, get your rear end in gear!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Got the new sill plate in when I got home last night. It sits level and seems to seal against the foundation reasonably well with the foam in place. Good enough for me!

Guess I will plan on splicing the studs and dropping the house back onto its own feet tonight when I get home from work.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

kastein posted:

Got the new sill plate in when I got home last night. It sits level and seems to seal against the foundation reasonably well with the foam in place. Good enough for me!

Guess I will plan on splicing the studs and dropping the house back onto its own feet tonight when I get home from work.

We're both 27 and doing sill replacements in century-old buildings. We should be friends.

poo poo looks great though, you're an inspiration to us all.

\/\/ An inspiration to quit is still an inspiration \/\/

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 8, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Dragyn posted:

you're an inspiration to us all.

And/Or a potent cautionary example. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You can take your potent cautionary example and stuff it up your rear end :v:

New sill beam is in and the studs have been fixed. Might not be up to code, but I put at least two feet of new stud sistered up with each old one and will be putting more on the other side of each. It was holding up with the bottoms rotted off, this can't be worse than that.

You're next you fugly rotten rear end piece of poo poo

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kastein posted:

You can take your potent cautionary example and stuff it up your rear end :v:

New sill beam is in and the studs have been fixed. Might not be up to code, but I put at least two feet of new stud sistered up with each old one and will be putting more on the other side of each. It was holding up with the bottoms rotted off, this can't be worse than that.

You're next you fugly rotten rear end piece of poo poo

How does the carpenter-ants feel about about this much violent territory-gain by the Jew Shack? Do you negotiate at all?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well seeing as I am Russia and the squirrels outside are Germany in this exercise, that leaves them as Poland and they don't really have a whole lot of say here.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kastein posted:

Well seeing as I am Russia and the squirrels outside are Germany in this exercise, that leaves them as Poland and they don't really have a whole lot of say here.

Is it true that you've been experimenting with Uranium-235 and Plutonium-239 while researching the foundation of the ant-swamp?

Edit: We own and worship the same cleaving axe. My odds just changed to 1:50 for you against the ants.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 10, 2014

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Glad to see more people with real man splitting mauls.

I always feel better with mine in the woods, like I could be OK fighting a bear with it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I split a couple cord of red oak with that thing a while back. It works pretty well, I'm happy with it.

In this case I just needed to boot the new sill plate back inward a little bit with a little weight on it so that it would settle in exactly the right spot. That was the closest implement at hand.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kastein posted:

I split a couple cord of red oak with that thing a while back. It works pretty well, I'm happy with it.

In this case I just needed to boot the new sill plate back inward a little bit with a little weight on it so that it would settle in exactly the right spot. That was the closest implement at hand.

I just split a couple of pavement ants open with mine. Just to stay sharp. Touch it up with a 30 degree edge and I'll change my odds to 1:20 for you against the ants.

Quick reference chart:

Ants:

Not ants:

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 11, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Stick a fork in it, we are done here

Haven't torn this one out yet, but definitely need to. It is pungry and rotten as gently caress even on the top. This is one of the ones I was considering not replacing back in january...

Tore sheathing and such off today and picked up demo debris with a shovel and pitchfork in preparation. I have a cleaned out working area now, so tomorrow all I have to do before getting medieval with it is drive supports under the relevant joists in the basement and sweep the living room floor of plaster fragments so they don't get ground into the floorboards.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Crosspostin'

Here is what happens to a perfectly good 1890 house when 120 years of loving muppets and JAFHOs own it. And don't believe in silly things like maintenance or replacing failed roofs.

Water flows downhill. Guess where it ends up if your roof fails?

This entire wall was converted from weight bearing to non weight bearing by neglect, rot, and carpenter ants. The end of that cut sill beam looks solid but is almost entirely rot and powder.

This structural kind of damage is the one thing I didn't want to deal with in a house. Oh well, guess it was bound to happen.

E: groverhaus, structural sillsoil, etc etc.

This all has to go, along with the entire wall over it and part of the next. Where is my whiskey. Christ loving almighty I want to kick the previous owner of this place into next millennia.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

That's a really wimpy girl-crowbar, but I agree with the Husqvarna.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Sir Cornelius posted:

That's a really wimpy girl-crowbar

The gloves are off

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

SHOTS FIRED SHOTS FIRED

Don't worry, I have two of them. :getin:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kastein posted:

SHOTS FIRED SHOTS FIRED

Don't worry, I have two of them. :getin:

One for each tit? Is the other one pink?

Actually I'm a bit impressed. Few people would be able to attack that much rot and structural damage and stay relatively sane.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

The Canadian Olypmics are so much cooler.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Picked up pressure treated 3/4 ply today to use for sheathing on the lowest 2 feet (as luck would have it, I removed exactly 2 feet of sheathing boards to replace the sills! A single 4x8 will handle this wall because of this) of the walls on this side of the house. Since the bottom of the wall ends up only about 4 inches off the ground, I figured it would be wise to do.

This is why modern houses are built further up from the ground... cement doesn't rot. Wood does.

Also picked up conduit and boxes to install in this wall for comms cabling since it will be easier with the wall mostly apart still.

Half the new sheathing is already up. Starting to feel like an enclosed house again... kinda.

Monday I need to call the local lumberyard about 16 foot roughsawn 2x4s and a roughsawn 4x6 to repair the combo ant and rot damaged areas of the frame. It is balloon framed or I could use 8 footers... don't worry, I will be adding fireblocking while it is apart.

E: as for me vs the ants, I am the one second from the right in the chart under "not ants", so you might want to adjust your odds a bit. :haw:

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 8, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Realized that glaring balefully at my rotten sills wasn't working and got down to business today.

Time to play house jenga.

I feel like I have done this before. load bearing air, ants, R Kelly songs, yadda yadda yadda.

Another two short pieces (only one of which is still load bearing, so the other is practically cake!) And then the 16 foot section along the east face of the living room (two full 8 footers) and I am done with this bullshit! Then I get to repair the rot and ant damage in the load bearing walls OVER the sills. One corner (the no longer load bearing corner) is real bad and I strongly suspect the 16 foot section of living room wall is as well.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 9, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I swear this house project rivals kevbarlas' campervan for sheer determination and Ship of Theseus status.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I sure hope not, because it will take me a long time to build a house rotisserie like his. All the water will pour out of the toilet bowl if I have to use it, too.

E: the ship of theseus point is pretty close to valid, however... running total of the things I will NOT be replacing:
the kitchen sink, maybe
The front door
the kitchen outside door, maybe
The living room floor
about 75% of the frame (hopefully)
about 80% of the foundation.

Everything else has been or will be replaced. I was using the water heater but it failed a year and a half ago and was replaced under warranty.

kastein fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 9, 2014

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

kastein posted:

I sure hope not, because it will take me a long time to build a house rotisserie like his. All the water will pour out of the toilet bowl if I have to use it, too.

E: the ship of theseus point is pretty close to valid, however... running total of the things I will NOT be replacing:
the kitchen sink, maybe
The front door
the kitchen outside door, maybe
The living room floor
about 75% of the frame (hopefully)
about 80% of the foundation.

Everything else has been or will be replaced. I was using the water heater but it failed a year and a half ago and was replaced under warranty.

This is what happens when you have a predilection for basket cases.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yep, got me there :sigh:

On the plus side I called up the local lumberyard today to ask about some true dimensional lumber to fix the carpenter ant damaged walls.

Holy poo poo I love this company :aaaaa:

6x 16' 2x4s and a 16' 4x6. They don't have 16 footers on hand, but called me back a few hours later with a quote.

$57 for all of it. :vince:

I literally can't buy 6 16' poo poo-tier warped twisted knotted modern dimensional 2x4s at home depot for that much, and they don't even have 16 foot 4x6s.

They're cutting it all to spec for me and it should be ready to pick up by next Saturday, which is at least a week or two before I'll need it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Holy poo poo am I ever jealous.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kastein posted:

They're cutting it all to spec for me and it should be ready to pick up by next Saturday, which is at least a week or two before I'll need it.

Are they gonna deliver it?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Nah, they probably could but the dirt road to my house would piss them off. And I got 14 16-foot 2x12s home in one trip by ratchet strapping them to the roofrack of my crapcan jeep (with extra support beams across the rails and ratchet straps through the interior, not using the stock wimpy cross rails!) so this shouldn't really be an issue.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Wow. So jealous. The only decent lumberyard near me closed a few years ago :(

It was the same one my grandfather bought from through his entire career as a general contractor.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Bleached the mold off the sistered sills for the living room floor behind the latest section of sill I tore out. They were solid, but covered in mildew and mold from being in a corner with lovely drainage and failed siding too close to ground level.

Just cut the last sill (in this corner...) back as far as I could and found solid wood! First good news in a while. So now it is time to shopvac up a bunch of debris, move rocks out of the way, and begin rebuilding the foundation in this corner.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Whoops, just disassembled the foundation down to ground level for about 5 or 6 feet, guess it is a good thing I bought 320lbs of mortar mix!

I really would like to redo the foundation from scratch... but time and budget do not allow this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bleach kills mold on the surface, so it works well on tile and stuff like that. However, it does not penetrate, so it's not effective on porous materials such as wood. That mold is likely to grow back. You might want to look into some kind of penetrating mold killer or something that can protect against mold long-term.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I couldn't find anything like that at Home Depot. I may well do that, however, I think I got some at Lowes last time.

I used a LOT of very concentrated bleach - well above the concentration they recommended. It turned the surface of the wood white in minutes. And I'm not washing it off, it's staying in there...

Foundation goes back together tonight if I get home in time.

e: here's the mess as it stands right now:

Hard to tell but the foundation's torn down to ground level from the end of the new sill plate on the left to the corner on the right. Somewhat below ground level in a few spots, actually. It's all a rubble foundation (i.e. it looks great from the outside and the inside, but the middle is just sorta haphazardly stacked/piled bits of fieldstone with no mortar) and I hate that. So I'll be packing mortar in until it stops taking it, then rebuilding it from there up to sill level.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 17, 2014

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Is there a livable section of this house?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Other end of the yard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

c355n4 posted:

Is there a livable section of this house?

As a single bachelor with a high tolerance for dusty environments and roughing it/camping out in my own house? Yes. Barely.

As anyone else? Hell loving no.