Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still haven't seen a double combining super robot, where each part of it is made of multiple smaller robots that are already combined.

Dairugger! AKA: Vehicle Voltron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still haven't seen a double combining super robot, where each part of it is made of multiple smaller robots that are already combined.

edit: nested robots like Gurren Lagann are awesome though. I have a robot so big it fits over my other robot.

Dairugger XV is basically this, 3 combining robots each of which are made of 5 combining mecha.

edit: didn't see the new page :/

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kanos posted:

Both statements amount to "In order to get the Banpreios ready on the quick, they scrapped the separate units/combination functionality and fixed the thing together to rush it out in time to actually fight the Balmar/STMC/Buff Clan".

Your focus is fragility, mine is time. I agree it doesn't really matter though so I'll drop it.

That said, I would be happiest if we never saw or heard of Banpreios again, which rather tells you my opinion of it.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: nested robots like Gurren Lagann are awesome though. I have a robot so big it fits over my other robot.

Dairugger XV? I can't link it from my phone.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Broken Loose posted:

Dairugger XV is basically this, 3 combining robots each of which are made of 5 combining mecha.

I would hardly call the three terrain vehicle configurations mecha though. They're pretty much vehicles stuck together to make something that's sorta vehicley, and they're mix-and-matched from the actual combination so they have to disassemble if they want to make Dairugger anyways.

I think the idea was more along the lines of 'so what if we got all the Obari robots together where the Dancougars were the legs, the Gravions were the arms, and Dangaioh was the torso - it would admittedly be pretty drat awesome.

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Would Ultimate Gravion count? It's the combined form of the Sol Gravion and God Sigma Gravion which, while piloted solo, is still made up of Sandman's Gran Sigma and a second set of unmanned Gran Diva vehicles.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's one you might have forgotten.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

HitTheTargets posted:

Man, that is not a question you want to apply real-world logic too. That combination that adds more moving parts and less structural integrity? Yes, it makes the robot stronger. This is what we choose to believe.

Of course it's stronger, with a combination it can decombine, have Rai and Aya attack, then recombine for Ryusei's attack. That's way more damage than just Ryusei attacking! :v:

KoB
May 1, 2009
Gravion is a combination robot in the same way that Dancouger-Big-robot-puts-on-a-hat-and-shoes is kinda not really combined from smaller robots. Its one robot with some accessories slapped on.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

KoB posted:

Gravion is a combination robot in the same way that Dancouger-Big-robot-puts-on-a-hat-and-shoes is kinda not really combined from smaller robots. Its one robot with some accessories slapped on.

All of the accessories are autonomous units with their own pilots and full functionality, though, it's just that one of them is robot-shaped pre-combination. It's like saying Combattler isn't a combiner because it's composed of random drill cars and poo poo.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Kanos posted:

All of the accessories are autonomous units with their own pilots and full functionality, though, it's just that one of them is robot-shaped pre-combination. It's like saying Combattler isn't a combiner because it's composed of random drill cars and poo poo.

I didnt say its not a combiner, Im saying theyre not mutliple robots combining into a larger robot like they were talking about (SRX), theyre more like a single robot that gains armor from the vehicles. Its one main robot that is enhanced from the combination and not multiple robots completely transforming into parts for a larger robot.

Theyre both combiners, just different types.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
FINE, JESUS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyqPwmshOn4

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

As someone who loves Neo, I'm ashamed I forgot about the Eldorans.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

As much as I like the more experimental SRW games I wish we could get a game with sprite versions of the Eldran shows.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...IMO I wish UX had kept the style of the DS games instead of going halfway to the more Z-like artstyle. I find something about the DS ones appealing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Watched some SRW Z attack videos on a whim today, and I only just noticed that

they got the GX's Satellite Cannon wrong on the attack animation,

but get it right in the MAP attacks, both the Z1 sprite and the Z2 cut-in. That's... how does that even happen? :psyduck:

EDIT: If you're not a massive Gundam X nerd like me, the GX's solar panels are supposed to move to its right shoulder when it does the Satellite Cannon. It's to allow the cannon itself to even go over the Gundam's shoulder. The GX can open the panels like in the first picture, but that's for flight mode.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 10, 2014

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
As I type this I realize I can probably check by going over allies in the aoe and seeing if they have a hit percentage or not, but is there any way to see if a map attack will hit allied units or not?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EthanSteele posted:

As I type this I realize I can probably check by going over allies in the aoe and seeing if they have a hit percentage or not, but is there any way to see if a map attack will hit allied units or not?

It says in the little MAP attack overview. Z2 example because it's the only one I have handy:

It's the second thing on the last line (lit. Enemy/Ally Distinction). 無効 hits allies. 有効 doesn't.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

generally though, most everything hits allies unless there's a specific reason why it wouldn't. The only MAP attack in Z2/Z2.2 that's ally friendly that I can think of is Kira's.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

generally though, most everything hits allies unless there's a specific reason why it wouldn't. The only MAP attack in Z2/Z2.2 that's ally friendly that I can think of is Kira's.

I just looked it up; the only ones that have it in the first Z2 are Super Dragoon, the Leviadamon's Lightning Burst, and Geiltiran's Infinity Nova.

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!

Please let this return in Z3.2.....

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Endorph posted:

I remember being absurdly careful with Cyflash in my first playthrough of OG1 because I was sure it would hurt allies. I'm honestly still not sure why it doesn't.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BlitzBlast posted:

I remember being absurdly careful with Cyflash in my first playthrough of OG1 because I was sure it would hurt allies. I'm honestly still not sure why it doesn't.

Because it didn't in SRW2 and it's been like that forever since because tradition.

It's just part of Cybuster and Valsione.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Because it's literally magic.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Eternal Volfogg posted:

Please let this return in Z3.2.....

Final Obari special with it, God Sigma Gravion and both Dancougars.

I'd also really like vanilla Aquarion back. I know that EVOL makes that impossible, but Apollo and crew are infinitely more tolerable than Amata's gang.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TheManSeries posted:

Final Obari special with it, God Sigma Gravion and both Dancougars.

I'd also really like vanilla Aquarion back. I know that EVOL makes that impossible, but Apollo and crew are infinitely more tolerable than Amata's gang.

Amata's crew are infinitely more likeable, interesting, and developed as characters than anyone in the original Aquarion, with the exception that Apollo and Silvia were a drat sight better than Amata and Mikono.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kanos posted:

Amata's crew are infinitely more likeable, interesting, and developed as characters than anyone in the original Aquarion, with the exception that Apollo and Silvia were a drat sight better than Amata and Mikono.

EVOL doesn't have Pierre, meaning you are wrong.

(I've never seen EVOL, mind, Pierre is just awesome.)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

I thought in MK1 they just said thats how they made cyflash, because it was such a huge pain in the rear end that every other masoukishin would hit allies with their map attacks.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man whoever it is that does these translations is so hilariously bad haha

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hellioning posted:

EVOL doesn't have Pierre, meaning you are wrong.

(I've never seen EVOL, mind, Pierre is just awesome.)

Andy is almost literally Pierre except with actual character development.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Andy has more development than Pierre did. The original Aquarion crew pretty much didn't have much character development at all outside of the core trio. Also the guy that got turned into a weird angel-cyborg-hybrid I guess.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Man whoever it is that does these translations is so hilariously bad haha

I figure they took the translated captions and just replaced the katakana gibberish with english terms.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So, in the end, did anyone here play all the DLC maps for Z3-1? Are any of them particularly worth getting (I have 700 yen sitting in my account), or is it pointless unless it's all of them?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I bought them all with spare PSN yen. There's no narrative thread between them, so don't worry about cherrypicking. The only one I'd recommend for entertainment value is the late game one where everybody discusses their love lives. That one has some nice short conversations, like Aoi hitting on Takeru.

Otherwise, just pick whatever overpowered item you want to buy 1 more of.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmwueiCiPn8

Z3.1's mission 57 has been subbed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Ba'al is bad, but being 14 years old forever is even worse!!" is the most Evangelion of lines.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
warning turn your audio way down for anyone who watches this

ouch

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The mental image of Gendo Ikari being a tsundere is disturbing. :stare:

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Rascyc posted:

warning turn your audio way down for anyone who watches this

ouch

It does say to turn your volume down at the 23 minute mark in the description.

That sequence was great though, it's like some kind of Rube Goldberg machine of plot devices.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So, who has played Dark Prison? Is it worth the price?

I was at the Book-Off here and town the other day and saw the Whatever Battle/Dark Prison double pack used for $40, and considered it before I remembered that the Dark Prison part is just a download code and would almost certainly have been used already, but it did remind me that that is a recent SRW game I haven't played yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hm, nobody huh?

Well, maybe I'll put down the 3000 yen or whatever and try it.

• Locked thread