Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

dissss posted:

I think everyone (Koreans included) will start do de-contented, cheaper to produce versions of their cars for the US domestic market.

Isn't that already happening with Hyundai? I thought the confusing mess of cars Hyundai has in Australia is because we get both the US and Euro models. they've got a pair of cars in each class up to medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

dissss posted:

I think everyone (Koreans included) will start do de-contented, cheaper to produce versions of their cars for the US domestic market.

The day this happens, the Earth will spin backwards. BMW, Audi and Mercedes will never stop selling their cars in North America as "premium" offerings with fat margins (or at least, fatter than they get selling a 520d repmobile in the UK).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BabyMauler posted:

Mass didn't get one on RT1 Norwood where the Fiat dealer complex is? Or even down the road at the Maserati/Ferrari place? They have a ton of land! But bumfuck Vermont gets one. More than plenty of jerks with money in the Boston area, what gives Alfa?

I'm amazed that Spokane WA is getting one, but none in Portland :wtc:

With as many 500s on the streets here (not to mention the US's oldest Ferrari dealer, I would have bet good money we'd be in the first round. Spokane is about the same size city, but it's loving redneck bumfuckistan central and most people there drive lovely old hoopties.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MrChips posted:

The day this happens, the Earth will spin backwards. BMW, Audi and Mercedes will never stop selling their cars in North America as "premium" offerings with fat margins (or at least, fatter than they get selling a 520d repmobile in the UK).

I don't mean the premium brands, I mean regular cars. Its already happened for stuff like the Accord and Corolla.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/10/alfa-romeo-4c-priced-53900-gains-342-pounds/

The alfa got fat for america, just like people. only about 200lbs lighter than an FRS now.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Speaking of which I saw a 4C in Atlanta about 3 weeks ago. Looked like a RHD (wasn't able to get next to it to see), but I didn't think it was importable as is. Guess it could have been a US demo with a small driver.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

dissss posted:

I don't mean the premium brands, I mean regular cars. Its already happened for stuff like the Accord and Corolla.

Are the North American Accord, Corolla and others actually downmarket compared to what's offered overseas or are they just fatter to play to American tastes?

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Wheeee posted:

Are the North American Accord, Corolla and others actually downmarket compared to what's offered overseas or are they just fatter to play to American tastes?

IIRC Honda already does this: the Acura TSX is essentially a Euro Accord

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

The alfa got fat for america, just like people. only about 200lbs lighter than an FRS now.

Still gonna test drive one. I have a feeling the dealer mark ups are going to be nuts. Which is fine and dandy since I've been jonesing for the Morgan 3 Wheeler as of late.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

The FRS/BRZ really need more power. They are gorgeous cars.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Wheeee posted:

In some cases, but mostly this is just because cars in general are much cheaper in the US compared to almost every other country including the country where the car came from, and the European car will probably have a 1.3l diesel with 74hp. So basically the US doesn't get all the cool European cars because in the US you can usually buy a Mustang with twice the horsepower for half the price.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In EVO's initial review of the M235i (I think it was the 235?), they were driving a US-spec car, and apparently BMW made a point of telling them they were driving one with a US-spec interior, and that the Euro/UK version would be better.

America has very cheap new cars, so the fact that manufacturers decontent cars and use cheaper materials doesn't surprise me at all. They need to meet that lower price point, and it would appear that people generally don't notice.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

InitialDave posted:

In EVO's initial review of the M235i (I think it was the 235?), they were driving a US-spec car, and apparently BMW made a point of telling them they were driving one with a US-spec interior, and that the Euro/UK version would be better.

America has very cheap new cars, so the fact that manufacturers decontent cars and use cheaper materials doesn't surprise me at all. They need to meet that lower price point, and it would appear that people generally don't notice.

This is hilarious in light of the fact that BMW/Merc/Audi/et. al. don't bring their cheap models here at all. We only barely got the 335d just a few years ago, there's no way they'll sell cheap models like a 120d in North America. They refuse to sell 'cheap' models here because then they'd lose the prestige of being a 'premium' brand (and their ability to overcharge for everything).

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 11, 2014

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

InitialDave posted:

I priced out a BMW M253i as I would like it and it clocked in over 50k. Fifty thousand US dollars for a 2 series BMW. Some people it would be worth it to them but man, that's a high premium for RWD and a straight six.
How much are these things in Euro land?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The M235i has a base price of $60k here.

Edit: US base price is listed as $43k, to put it in perspective.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 11, 2014

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I would like to see a direct comparison of the two cars, I find it hard to believe that in a world where the automakers are moving towards global platforms for everything it would be cost effective for BMW to produce a US only version of a car that will already be low volume. What would they do, put thinner pleather in it?

HotCanadianChick posted:

there's no way they'll sell cheap models like a 120d in North America.

320i is here for ~30k, I'm not sure where you can buy a BMW for much less than that.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 12, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I may have misunderstood originally, or got mixed up with different sources, but I've dug out the EVO article, and the comment they make is specific to interior trim in the sense of the little aluminium trim pieces used for finishing in the interior, not trim in the sense of the interior materials and construction generally.

Looks like I'm wrong on that one.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

fknlo posted:

Still gonna test drive one. I have a feeling the dealer mark ups are going to be nuts. Which is fine and dandy since I've been jonesing for the Morgan 3 Wheeler as of late.

I'll probably do the same but I decided a while ago I'd rather get an F-Type Coupe. I'm I guess a bit less interested in tracking the car than the creature comforts.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt

dissss posted:

sadnessboner posted:

Isn't that already happening with Hyundai? I thought the confusing mess of cars Hyundai has in Australia is because we get both the US and Euro models. they've got a pair of cars in each class up to medium.

The Hyundai Elantra GT sold in the USA is de-contented compared to the Hyundai i30 sold overseas. (Despite different names, they're the same car.)

Things you can't get on the US-spec model at any price:
* No LED Daytime Running Lights
* No Xenon HID headlights
* No adaptive front lighting (lights move as you take a curve)
* No rear fog lamps
* No chrome door handles; no door handle illumination
* No electric folding mirrors
* No active cruise control
* No color HUD in the instrument cluster
* No rain sensing wipers
* No front/rear parking sensors

None of those are deal breakers, but that's a significant list of little things you just can't get here in the States.

Of course, the USA model comes with a 2.0L standard -- the biggest Euro petrol engine is a 1.6L -- and in Australia the 1.8L is standard with the 2.0L only appearing on the SR (sporty) model. Also, the USA gets the premium grille as standard, gets 16 inch alloys as standard, and includes XM Radio, which doesn't seem to be a thing outside of North America.

It's just one car, but it's certainly de-contented compared to its overseas counterpart. I think a big part of that has to do with the role the Elantra GT plays in the American lineup, though. It's positioned as a more "sporty" and "fun" car than an Elantra Sedan -- with a bigger standard engine and other "sportier" bits -- and this is probably because of the perception of hatchbacks in the USA.

Hatchbacks in the US are seen as a more quirky option, and are more popular with car enthusiasts. Whereas in Europe, hatchbacks are the bread-and-butter. Everyone drives them, so they need to scale across the entire buying lineup.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BigBadBrewsta posted:

Hatchbacks in the US are seen as a more quirky option, and are more popular with car enthusiasts. Whereas in Europe, hatchbacks are the bread-and-butter. Everyone drives them, so they need to scale across the entire buying lineup.

I think this will start changing a bit as urban Americans continue to downsize their cars. Also I think that the culmination of this 20 year trend of SUVs -> CUVs -> Mini-CUVs will be a return to hatchbacks and wagons in the US. They just might not be the hot hatches and wagons that enthusiasts claim to crave.

The Prius in all its forms is a hatchback. The Leaf is a hatchback. The Impreza hatchback sells like hotcakes in the PNW, and the Golf/GTI and Mini Cooper continue to be popular, and even the Jetta Sportwagen sells in decent numbers for being fairly niche (in the US). All of those are really popular in my area.

I suppose it really depends on where you live though, because a whole shitload of big trucks and SUVs still get sold nationwide especially in suburban and rural regions.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

BigBadBrewsta posted:

the premium grille

:laffo:

The what now?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kenshin posted:

I'll probably do the same but I decided a while ago I'd rather get an F-Type Coupe. I'm I guess a bit less interested in tracking the car than the creature comforts.

I'd be a lot more interested in the F-Type if the type-S wasn't $80k dollars. And yeah, tracking the car isn't my top priority either. I just want something unique and fun.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt

Nidhg00670000 posted:

:laffo:

The what now?

Outside of the US, there are different front grilles (fascia?) as options. In the US, we only get the "premium" grill, which is considered a higher trim option everywhere else. Seriously.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Guinness posted:

I think this will start changing a bit as urban Americans continue to downsize their cars. Also I think that the culmination of this 20 year trend of SUVs -> CUVs -> Mini-CUVs will be a return to hatchbacks and wagons in the US. They just might not be the hot hatches and wagons that enthusiasts claim to crave.

The Prius in all its forms is a hatchback. The Leaf is a hatchback. The Impreza hatchback sells like hotcakes in the PNW, and the Golf/GTI and Mini Cooper continue to be popular, and even the Jetta Sportwagen sells in decent numbers for being fairly niche (in the US). All of those are really popular in my area.

I suppose it really depends on where you live though, because a whole shitload of big trucks and SUVs still get sold nationwide especially in suburban and rural regions.

Once people get used to high step in/out they won't go back, especially people over 40.

Also there is demand due to with visibility when you are surrounded by Chevy Tahoe's and bro-trucks at every light. I speak for my mid 60's parents who have a Murano/Escape haul a doggie around and have no interest in going back to mid-size sedans or a lowish wagon.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 12, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

Once people get used to high step in/out they won't go back, especially people over 40.

Also there is demand due do with visibility when you are surrounded by Chevy Tahoe's and bro-trucks at every light. I speak for my mid 60's parents who have a Murano/Escape haul a doggie around and have no interest in going back to mid-size sedans or a lowish wagon.

yeah, my other half is the same height as me almost (just under 6'), and she hates getting down into cars. That's why we're probably going to get a CX-5 or similar when we get a car in a few months. We rented one out in Seattle and both really liked it, and though I can come up with a dozen or more different cars I would rather have, a fuel efficient AWD CUV that you don't step down into makes everyone happy. And then I can buy something low and annoying for myself and won't have to worry about her cursing it every time she has to drive it or in it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's official. Tesla has open sourced all of their patents.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ. An "All our base" reference in 2014.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh God, that title...

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

fknlo posted:

I'd be a lot more interested in the F-Type if the type-S wasn't $80k dollars. And yeah, tracking the car isn't my top priority either. I just want something unique and fun.

I don't know why but I've been more interested in the middle-tier model with the 380hp Supercharged V6 than the V8. Probably due to the cost difference. (also it's gonna be a lot more likely that they will have the V6 versions up for lease than the V8)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kenshin posted:

I don't know why but I've been more interested in the middle-tier model with the 380hp Supercharged V6 than the V8.

$77k before any options. That's the one I'd want as well.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Guinness posted:

CUVs are the return of the hatchback in the US. It's pretty apparent that taking a hatchback, lifting it two inches, then throwing on some body cladding will dramatically increase sales. Just look at the Subaru XV Crosstrek: it's selling twice as fast as the Impreza hatchback is. And it is on track to become Subaru's third best selling vehicle, after the Outback (jacked up Legacy wagon) and Forester.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
The 2015 Mustang configurator is up. Performance pack EcoBoost with the 3.55 rear end is 28k. GTs start at 32. No more Grabber Blue though :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Propaganda Bob posted:

The 2015 Mustang configurator is up. Performance pack EcoBoost with the 3.55 rear end is 28k. GTs start at 32. No more Grabber Blue though :(

I was just playing around on this. The Recaros look nice, but $1600 seems a bit steep for either cloth (base Ecoboost) or leather (premium Ecoboost). Fully kitted out GT vert hits $49.3k :aaa:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Something about a 4-banger Mustang just seems so... Contrary to the point. I'll have to test one for myself.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Propaganda Bob posted:

But you can get it in Jag Green. loving sold.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 13, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

KillHour posted:

But you can get it in Jag Green. loving sold.
Guard has a LOT more silver in it than that picture shows and is highly dependent on the amount of sun hitting it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, it's more like a dark gun metal grey with a dark green tint/pearl to it

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Q_res posted:

Yeah, it's more like a dark gun metal grey with a dark green tint/pearl to it

Uh. Yes please.

:gizz:

e: thanks for those links, that thing is beautiful.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 13, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

SouthLAnd posted:

Uh. Yes please.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/ran-into-and-2051.html
and
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/guard-2015-mustang-1350.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

SouthLAnd posted:

Uh. Yes please.

e: thanks for those links, that thing is beautiful.

Is it me or does the back end have something very Porsche-like going on. I don't mean in the sense of "looks like x crossed with y" but more of, this Mustang is closer to proper sports car proportions than pervious generations.