Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Any better photos of this mass migration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

redscare posted:

Civilians fleeing violent conflict, you say? Well this is a new and unheard-of development!

Umiapik posted:

"On no account must we think about why ISIS is facing so little resistance in Sunni areas, or why ordinary Sunnis might welcome their takeovers! The only acceptable response to ISIS is to bravely defy them on the internet!"

Can't have his cake and eat it too.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Any better photos of this mass migration?

IOM reported 500,000 total. A lot of them told media in Arbil that they were most afraid of Iraqi army shelling and bombing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Rumors flying about that the Battle of Samara might be happening soon. Reports of ISIS fighters massing to try and take the city.

There's also some reports that Shia Militia men have poured into Samara and replaced the Iraqi security forces there, if ISIS decides tot try and take the city we're definitely looking at a bloodbath in the making.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 13, 2014

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a list of what's supposedly official ISIS Twitter accounts
http://justpaste.it/ISIS_wlyat

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Rumors flying about that the Battle of Samara might be happening soon. Reports of ISIS fighters massing to try and take the city.

There's also some reports that Shia Militia men have poured into Samara and replaced the Iraqi security forces there, if ISIS decides tot try and take the city we're definitely looking at a bloodbath in the making.

Worth checking out this analysis too suggesting that such a move might be in part a feint for a strike on Baghdad. Scary stuff.

http://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/battle-baghdad-scenarios

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp
It seems like these ISIL are organizing and training in Turkey. Why didn't Turkey notice all those guys crossing the border with a truck full of ammunition. This has been going on since the beginning it seems with militia recruiters having tons of control in the refugee camps.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
These people can't really be insane enough to think that they can take the whole of the country, can they? Well, I mean, I'm sure the individual fighters are that insane, but their leadership must have some grounding in reality if they're competent enough to have taken what they have so far, right?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

They're fanatics. I'm sure there are cool heads that will want to consolidate and get some sweet oil money from their territory but sooner or later they'll be pushing into shia territory.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Sucrose posted:

These people can't really be insane enough to think that they can take the whole of the country, can they? Well, I mean, I'm sure the individual fighters are that insane, but their leadership must have some grounding in reality if they're competent enough to have taken what they have so far, right?

Napoleon was an exceptional general but his successes eventually went to his head so even if ISIS leaders are very capable they could have fallen to hubris. Military leaders have to act decisively on limited evidence in short time periods and sometimes if they act brazenly at the right time they can achieve 'impossible' victories. Other times doing the same can lead to disaster and infamy. Now in this case trying to invade Shia areas certainly looks like it'll end very poorly for ISIS but we don't the intelligence and strategy they're working from.

In addition they could be saying they'll take Baghdad so as to get the Iraqi government to dig in rather than counterattack, to maintain their troops morale or for PR reasons to attract recruits and allies or for any number of other reasons. We won't know until it happens.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
What's going on in Iraq is criminally under reported at the moment. The first I heard of this was a mention in the news today that Australia may be sending troops back.

So what's actually going on, has the country fallen into a heap of civil war along religious lines?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Sistani has declared a fatwa against ISIS. Expect the Shia militias to continue growing.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Execu-speak posted:

What's going on in Iraq is criminally under reported at the moment. The first I heard of this was a mention in the news today that Australia may be sending troops back.

So what's actually going on, has the country fallen into a heap of civil war along religious lines?

The Iraqi government/US failed to create a strong, effective/reliable military, and the major religious/tribal players didn't give up their guns when things quietened down, they simply decided to wait out till the US left. The US left.

ISIS start leaning in more from Syria into easier ground in Iraq, and find that multiple divisions of IAR will run away at the sight of a thousand or so milita. Iraqi government are already so scared, they can't get enough people into Baghdad to meet quorum. ISIS exploit this and keep the momentum rolling. The Kurds have been largely sat biding their time for decades for a chance like this, and now largely have their own state in all but name. Iraqi government looks to the the only effective forces it has left available, various other religious militia and begging the US to start shock and awe.

So yeah, things fell back into civil war along religious/tribal grounds as many predicted it would, but I think people are taken aback by just how quick ISIS have accelerated the collapse.

I give the Iraqi government two months, less than a month if ISIS got a big bankroll recently and keep up the city seizing/defector soaking.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Execu-speak posted:

Violence in the country has been picking up for a while now but ISIS has decided it's time to expand to the east having got bored of the stalemate in syria. It's not quite open civil war yet but it won't be long

EDIT:vv okay now it's a civil war vv

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 13, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ayatollah Sistani, the shithead occupation cleric who was the primary reason the Shia stayed mostly quiet against the americans (back when there was a modicum of a truly cross sectarian national uprising back in 2004), has now decided to call on his sect to take up arms against ISIS.

I have nothing but contempt for this old doddering sectarian fuckhead collaborator cleric.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
ISIS has been expanding it's territory and openly challenging the Iraqi state for months now. They took Fallujah back in January and have killed hundreds of Iraqi soldiers since then. It's only in the last few days that the Western media have suddenly woken up and started writing zillions of "who are ISIS??" style articles.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I know this will sound weird, but how the hell did the US plan iraq post the 2003 invasion? how did it slip into sectarianism? was there any effort to create something where all sects/ethnic groups could have a part in Iraq?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Fizzil posted:

I know this will sound weird, but how the hell did the US plan iraq post the 2003 invasion? how did it slip into sectarianism? was there any effort to create something where all sects/ethnic groups could have a part in Iraq?

:lol: There was no planning for the post-invasion of Iraq. Bush apparently didn't even realize the issue of the Sunni-Shiite divide in the runup to the war.

Speaking of Bush, some papers are having making jokes at his expense https://twitter.com/Georg_Heil/status/477356405067120640/photo/1

New Division fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 13, 2014

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

New Division posted:

:lol: There was no planning for the post-invasion of Iraq. Bush apparently didn't even realize the issue of the Sunni-Shiite divide in the runup to the war.

In Imperial Life in the Emerald City there is significant discussion of how complete a fuckup post-invasion "planning" was. Essentially the entire Iraqi army was disbanded and not given new jobs or responsibility for security, state run factories and other businesses had all of their workers given pinkslips, and their foremen were replaced with graduates from Regent University. Obviously, this didn't work well because you can't just replace all your skilled workers overnight, and you can't replace experienced foremen with 20 somethings who spent their college years actively making themselves stupider.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!

Fizzil posted:

I can't think of any other, more complete, thorough and accessible walkthrough of the Iraq War than this documentary by Frontline:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/bushswar/

There are also loads more here, although the above one incorporates elements from a lot of the earlier ones. Still great resources, though:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/gsearch.html?q=iraq&submit=Search+%C2%BB

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I've heard the Iraqi army recieved, at the least, adaquete training from the US military. Problem is, they're badly paid, badly armed, lacking in good leadership, lacking support, and predominately Shiite so they don't get along well with the Sunni population, and dying for a government that many, especially non-Shiites, see as having no legitimacy. Why fight and die for a government that can't even pay you, to defend people that hate you? Training alone isn't going to get people to risk their lives.

At least thats what I've picked up from radio interviews regarding the past few events. Its one side of the story, at least; I imagine the sectarian tensions ran both way enough that the army managed to piss away whatever goodwill they might have started with the sunnis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

In Imperial Life in the Emerald City there is significant discussion of how complete a fuckup post-invasion "planning" was. Essentially the entire Iraqi army was disbanded and not given new jobs or responsibility for security, state run factories and other businesses had all of their workers given pinkslips, and their foremen were replaced with graduates from Regent University. Obviously, this didn't work well because you can't just replace all your skilled workers overnight, and you can't replace experienced foremen with 20 somethings who spent their college years actively making themselves stupider.
They pissed everyone off post-Saddam by that stupid 'de-Baathification' law that forced out anyone with a brain in the government since during Saddam's rule you had to be a 'member' to get anywhere. We created the insurgency.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I remember the press lionizing Sistani as a reasonable elder statesman, it seems he was just biding his time to make a foray into sectarian war.

Also holy poo poo I think Tom Friedman has lost it. I was just minding my own business reading that paragraph then BAM ENVIRONMENTALISTS out of loving nowhere.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Some Internet dude I follow is trying to tie ISIS' ascent to weapons proliferating in post-Gaddafi Libya. That's pretty much bullshit, right? I know they made it to Mali, but have they actually made it east in considerable numbers?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

It's also generally a bad idea to put a bunch of military guys out of work at the start of a decade-long occupation, because they'll walk away from their posts with their weapons and do exactly what they did, which was kick off the insurgency.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I'm studying abroad for another two weeks, but I just picked up on this and I'm not sure how to feel.

On the one hand, I really REALLY really don't want Obama to backpedal on getting out of Iraq. On the other hand, I'm really irritated we did so lovely a job the first time that we've essentially made/let this happen right in front of us.

God dammit, I would poo poo into Bush and Cheney's open mouths if I ever got the chance. How the gently caress did they manage to get our army, which apparently was retardedly managed, across the ocean?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

GuyinCognito posted:

It seems like these ISIL are organizing and training in Turkey. Why didn't Turkey notice all those guys crossing the border with a truck full of ammunition. This has been going on since the beginning it seems with militia recruiters having tons of control in the refugee camps.

I've heard this accusation elsewhere and I have no real idea on this. ISIS apparently occupies a border crossing town with Turkey. The allegation was that the line of advance in Iraq is basically a straight drive. If Turkey is supporting ISIS it seems like a gambit that isn't paying off.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Torpor posted:

I've heard this accusation elsewhere and I have no real idea on this. ISIS apparently occupies a border crossing town with Turkey. The allegation was that the line of advance in Iraq is basically a straight drive. If Turkey is supporting ISIS it seems like a gambit that isn't paying off.

Erdogan's gotten pretty crazy though, to the point that its actually anyone's guess what he will do or say next.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shinjobi posted:

So I'm studying abroad for another two weeks, but I just picked up on this and I'm not sure how to feel.

On the one hand, I really REALLY really don't want Obama to backpedal on getting out of Iraq. On the other hand, I'm really irritated we did so lovely a job the first time that we've essentially made/let this happen right in front of us.

God dammit, I would poo poo into Bush and Cheney's open mouths if I ever got the chance. How the gently caress did they manage to get our army, which apparently was retardedly managed, across the ocean?
There's no way Obama gets involved in Iraq again. He has to know that it's lose/lose for us no matter what we do.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

MothraAttack posted:

Some Internet dude I follow is trying to tie ISIS' ascent to weapons proliferating in post-Gaddafi Libya. That's pretty much bullshit, right? I know they made it to Mali, but have they actually made it east in considerable numbers?

I doubt it but I'm sure at least some of them floated over to the Syrian war and now to Iraq.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Its probably too late to do much about it at this point. We would have to somehow get the shiites and sunnis to back away from the brink, and at least get them to believe that the government of Iraq is going to be impartial in the whole thing and not be beholden to one group or the other. Good luck there.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Its probably too late to do much about it at this point. We would have to somehow get the shiites and sunnis to back away from the brink, and at least get them to believe that the government of Iraq is going to be impartial in the whole thing and not be beholden to one group or the other. Good luck there.

I don't think it would be terribly difficult, actually. Obama cannot really stand to let ISIS develop a state, like at all. It looks like the Shiites' call to arms is largely a creature of necessity rather than a calculated escalation. The Sunnis do not appear to really want ISIS in control out of anything other than necessity. Get rid of ISIS and separate the factions and that'll go a long way to stabilizing things.

Divide Iraq.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Al-Saqr posted:

Ayatollah Sistani, the shithead occupation cleric who was the primary reason the Shia stayed mostly quiet against the americans (back when there was a modicum of a truly cross sectarian national uprising back in 2004), has now decided to call on his sect to take up arms against ISIS.

I have nothing but contempt for this old doddering sectarian fuckhead collaborator cleric.

Calling for political unity and support for the army while condemning the takeover of Nineveh is a bit less than what your inferring. Plus, he's a quietist twelver and the situation was/is more complicated than you make it sound? Despite your irrationally violent rage over a situation your not in, the Americans taking Iraq are hardly comparable to Takfiris swooping down giving promises that they will wipe out all Shiites.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

The Brown Menace posted:

Not incorrect. I mean sure we'd all love to pretend that ISIS is the worst poo poo ever, and they actually are a strong contender, but ISIS is also very good at keeping up (sharia) law and order. They don't just randomly gently caress with people, and many of the freedoms they restrict are ones which the people they govern never used or intended to use anyway. For some, the crazy roaming sharia wannabe-caliphate is a better option than constantly being hounded by thieves and rapists, who effectively get scared away by ISIS' "scary motherfucker" aura.

"The UN said hundreds have been killed - with militants carrying out summary executions of civilians in Mosul, including 17 civilians in one street.

A dozen Iraqi security personnel were also killed and four women committed suicide after being raped.
"

I like how rape is perfectly ok but don't you dare listen to music

Drunk & Ugly fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 13, 2014

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

While the whole country was still in chaos, the foremost concern among the crack team of total novices assembled by Raj Viceroy Governor Paul Bremer to rebuild the Iraqi economy was how to get a stock exchange running. Not power, not finding work for all the people unemployed by the war or shelter to those displaced by it, but the stock exchange. Because a stock exchange is instant win for democracy and capitalism, and you'd have to be silly to think otherwise.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Bait and Swatch posted:

Calling for political unity and support for the army while condemning the takeover of Nineveh is a bit less than what your inferring. Plus, he's a quietist twelver and the situation was/is more complicated than you make it sound? Despite your irrationally violent rage over a situation your not in, the Americans taking Iraq are hardly comparable to Takfiris swooping down giving promises that they will wipe out all Shiites.

this is the report, it's quite clear what he's calling for:-

Oh there is no doubt at all that ISIS are the worst in everything and are horrible human beings in every respect, The situation now is as horrible as it could ever be, if I were a Shiite Iraqi I would definitely fight ISIS with everything I've got.

But let's not forget that in the spring of 2004, the U.S. military found itself with a sudden uprising of BOTH Sunni and Shia Iraqis against their occupation (to the point that mehdi army people actually went to fallujah to participate in the first battle over there) but sistani decided to side with the occupation and used his religious position to that effect, because him and his cronies and pay masters in Iran were the ones who were going to win out of that deal. Of course after that the whole thing turned sectarian, Alqaeda destroyed the Iraqi national resistance from within, and the Mehdi army (along with the thugs of Maliki) turned to mass ethnic cleansing and sectarian death quad behavior. Overall the occupation benefited immensely from Sistani's sectarian agenda and acquiescence, but I think for a short window in 2004 had sistani been someone of greater moral and nationalistic fibre we would be seeing a vastly different Iraq today.

So excuse me, if I happen to have a problem with this 'quietest' dude who did not have any problems with his countrymen getting destroyed by a foreign occupation suddenly deciding that force was a good idea as long as his sectarian agenda called for it.

Also, I am in no way irrationally violent or in 'rage' I'm simply stating my opinion on the tragedy of what's happening on the ground and I am angry at these sectarian killers on both sides, of course I use colorful language because that's what I do, so I would appreciate it if you did not call me things like 'irrationally violent'.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 13, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This was originally from an ISIS propaganda video, claiming they were ambushing Iraqi soldiers on their way to report for duty. They also showed people at checkpoints checking names vs a list, and leading away people on that list to get shot.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I know this is pretty basic stuff, but it's really strange to me watching mainstream US coverage how they use "terrorist" to describe ISIL. They're very clearly engaging in open warfare for territory, and they have aspirations for creating a state: clearly it would be way more descriptive to call them rebels, militants, or an army. On top of that, there's this obsession with tying them to Al-Qaeda - every commercial break teaser has "meet the group that was considered Too Extreme for Even Al-Qaeda", "meet the guy who fancies himself the next bin Laden."

It seems like a really useful tactic to justify re-invasion of Iraq on the grounds of a renewed Global War on Terror. Like, the reactions that the American public has to "a seperatist force of anti-Shia rebels is establishing an independent, islamic state in Iraq" is very, very different to "the Al-Qaeda affiliated terrorist group ISIL, led by a man who fancies himself the next bin Laden, are forming an enclave in Iraq." And cable news, as far as I've seen, has leaned far more heavily toward the latter interpretation than the former. The language being used has seemed to me to be specifically chosen to enflame American's fears about international terrorism.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 13, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Perhaps reading too much into it? American cable news has a tendency to dumb things down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Al-Saqr posted:

But let's not forget that in the spring of 2004, the U.S. military found itself with a sudden uprising of BOTH Sunni and Shia Iraqis against their occupation (to the point that mehdi army people actually went to fallujah to participate in the first battle over there) but sistani decided to side with the occupation and used his religious position to that effect, because him and his cronies and pay masters in Iran were the ones who were going to win out of that deal. Of course after that the whole thing turned sectarian, Alqaeda destroyed the Iraqi national resistance from within, and the Mehdi army (along with the thugs of Maliki) turned to mass ethnic cleansing and sectarian death quad behavior. Overall the occupation benefited immensely from Sistani's sectarian agenda and acquiescence, but I think for a short window in 2004 had sistani been someone of greater moral and nationalistic fibre we would be seeing a vastly different Iraq today.

So excuse me, if I happen to have a problem with this 'quietest' dude who did not have any problems with his countrymen getting destroyed by a foreign occupation suddenly deciding that force was a good idea as long as his sectarian agenda called for it.

That statement from Sistani is shockingly unexpected and different from what I first saw reported on the Karbala prayers.

That being said, why would Sistani call for support of: Sunni fighters who had already killed Bakr al Hakim in 2003 (Zarqawi and his TWJ) and killed 200 pilgrims during Arbayeen in early 2004. Not to mention numerous other attacks. Just because America didn't recognize them for what they were doesn't mean Iraqis didn't.

As for MAS, he had bucked Sistani's advice and was latgely disowned following his establishment of JAM and his issuance of a fatwa saying looting was okay and that everyone could keep what they stole as long as they gave his organization 1/5 of the price as a tax.

Expecting any prominent person in Iraq to stand up and call for attacks on the coalition authority a year in is a pipe dream. No one knew what the next 9 years held and everyone was of the mindset of "surely this can't get worse." Sistani had no reason to call for an uprising when the Shia finally had a chance to gain power. What would the end game have been? The Shia still get power but without CF? We'd be in the exact same situation. Who would have led at that time if CF was pushed out? Jaafri? He's more of an Iranian puppet than Maliki or Sistani. There was simply no reason for Sistani to support the militanta, especially the Salafi and Baathist insurgents, who had no love lost for him or the Shia either.

• Locked thread