Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Splatoon!

you're a kid you're a squid you're a kid you're a squid you're a kid you're a squid

The first new IP from Nintendo since Pikmin! A colorful third person shooter game featuring squids and ink that's as much about painting as getting frags.

Basic Information:

Team up and take on other teams in an action-filled battle to cover the level with as much ink as possible. Spray walls to access hard-to-reach areas.

Covering more territory with ink unlocks powered-up super weapons that can be used to attack rivals or cover more turf.

Strategy is everything. Defeat enemies to splatter them in an explosion of ink, covering more turf for your team.

Refill ink tanks, hide from opponents or move faster by turning into a squid and diving into the ink with the tap of a button. You move faster through your ink color and very slow through enemy ink.

Single player campaign, one-on-one local versus, and online multiplayer modes. Online includes both unranked and a ranked mode (to be added after launch in an update).

Single player involves several stages of platforming and fighting octopi enemies followed by large boss fights, similar to Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, or Super Mario Galaxy; except instead of Mario, you're a squid-kid.

Multiplayer is 4v4 and includes modes such as turf war, capture zones, tower control, and more. Team ranked play will also be available after launch.

Your character is customizable and can be a squid-boy or squid-girl. Eye and Skin color can be changed at will, "hair" color changes based on team ink color. Lots of clothing options are available, with many to unlock that grant skill bonuses. Lower level gear can be upgraded to give as many bonuses as high level gear. (Skill bonuses range from faster move speed to increased damage or better ink efficiency or regeneration)

Playable colors:

"color lock" mode lets you set a single color to always be your team, otherwise it rotates as you play single player and online.

Weapons:
Primary weapons, sub-weapons, and special weapons make up your loadout.
Three types of primary weapons: Shooter, Charger, and Roller.
Loadouts cannot be customized.

Shooter guns: Splattershot, Splattershot Jr., Aerospray MG, Jet Squelcher, Blaster, .52 GAL, Splattershot pro
Charger guns: Splat charger, E-liter 3K, Splatterscope
Rollers: Splatroller, Dynamo Roller, Inkbrush
Sub-weapons: Sprinkler, Seeker, Splash Wall, Suction Bomb, Burst Bomb, Point Sensor, Ink Mine, Squid Beakon, Distruptor
Special weapons: Inkzooka, Killer Wail, Inkstrike, Echolocator, Bubbler, Kraken

Tons of free update dlc!

Amiibo:
There are 3 Splatoon Amiibo; Inkling Girl, Inkling Boy, and Inkling Squid. Each unlocks a bonus minigame as well as a challenge mode section where you play single player levels with different weapons in order to unlock exclusive clothing sets such as samurai armor.

Guides:

http://www.rgj.com/story/life/2015/05/29/splatoon-weapon-list-unlocking-guide/28137051/
http://www.ign.com/wikis/splatoon
http://www.primagames.com/games/splatoon/tips/how-unlock-every-weapon-splatoon

Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L54s2m1dPs Announcement Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxcLLFbmJHE Treehouse Gameplay
OST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2mRsZ1C1wk&list=PLLzQ6vUyPeN6usmVaWrwCIzmubfZvM76e

Infinitum posted:

:siren: All squids and/or kids report to #splagoons on SynIRC :siren::getin:
Talk about how Team Cat is obviously the correct choice, and generally shoot the poo poo between rounds!

:mario::krakken: Please submit your NintendoIDs to this automated form! :krakken::mario:

:siren::pcgaming: Document is here :pcgaming::siren:
(If you have posted your NintendoID already, I have manually added it in. If it is not there, please submit the form!)
Cheers to Bread Set Jettison for suggesting Google Forms!

Brands:
The sub skills have increased and decreased chances based on brands.
Firefin - 5x chance for Ink Saver (Sub), 1/2 chance for Ink Recovery Sub
Forge - 5x chance for Special Duration Up, 1/2 chance for Ink Saver (Sub)
Inkline - 5x Defense Up, 1/2 Damage Up
Krak-On - 5x Swim Speed Up, 1/2 Defense Up
Rockenberg - 5x Run Speed Up, 1/2 Swim Speed Up
Skalop - 5x Quick Respawn, 1/2 Special Saver
Splash Mob - 5x Ink Saver (Main), 1/2 Run Speed Up
Squidforce - 5x Damage Up, 1/2 Ink Saver Main
Takoroka - 5x Special Charge Up, 1/2 Special Duration Up
Tentatek - 5x Ink Recovery Up, 1/2 Quick Super Jump
Zekko - 5x Special Saver, 1/2 Special Charge Up
Zink - 5x Quick Super Jump, 1/2 Quick Respawn

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Game looks loving amazing. Reminds me of Bomberman for some reason (maybe the art style?). Best looking next gen shooter to date. Prolly the only one that'll be fun too.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I am way more excited for Squidgirl paintball than I should be. :3:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

For how much they showed this game, I don't recall them talking much about what the release game is going to look like - full retail, or smaller e-shop title?

I think one of my favorite bits from the Treehouse was one of the treehouse guys wondering what was up with the match-end cat - later they asked the dev about it and got the response that it was "top secret" :tinfoil:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Featuring tracks by Guitar Vader. One can dream. We are gonna need all the fan art up in here.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oxyclean posted:

For how much they showed this game, I don't recall them talking much about what the release game is going to look like - full retail, or smaller e-shop title?

I think one of my favorite bits from the Treehouse was one of the treehouse guys wondering what was up with the match-end cat - later they asked the dev about it and got the response that it was "top secret" :tinfoil:

They didn't talk about it much, it sounds like they're still playing with how much content to include.

I think Nintendo has been fair about pricing things like New Luigi U lately, so if this is released mostly as-is it would probably be cheaper.

But I think they're working on testing other game modes (Capture the flag would fit well) as well as lots of other maps, and even a single player mode, which would easily make the game worth full price.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 13, 2014

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah this looks pretty incredible.

edit: Has anyone read anything about local multiplayer? From what I've seen you need the gamepad to play this game, which there is only one per console.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
I'll repost what I wrote in the E3 TVIV thread about this, because I think it's relevant here:

PrBacterio posted:

I gotta be honest here, both Mario Maker and Splatoon are games that have huge potential to be awesome but that, at the same time, I'm awfully worried about. What they've shown so far looks good, but unless they expand hugely on that it'll only end in disappointment :ohdear: Splatoon, in particular, will need a lot of variety in level design and setting, character looks/customisation (while the basic character design looks great, they all look kinda same-ish to me), game modes, weapons, and so on. It needs like, night time and underground levels with neon glow-in-the-dark paint, a variety of game modes (like for example, a domination or ctf mode where you have to/can prevent your opponents from reaching objectives/flags by blocking their path with your own colour ink), customisation and styling options to individualize your character. And it definitely, definitely needs voice chat for team play. If they deliver on all what we imagine for the game right now, it could turn out as one of the best multiplayer/arena shooters ever created, but there's so many ways for it to go wrong.

On the other hand, I don't understand the Giantbomb (for example) guys' resistance to the idea of gyro controls. If it works like it did in WWHD, it seems like that would be the perfect control scheme for a game like this on a console. You do the general, rough aiming/turning with the right stick and then finetune by slight motions of the gamepad to track and home in onto your target.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Game looks loving amazing. Reminds me of Bomberman for some reason (maybe the art style?).

Probably because there was a similar game mode in Bomberman called Panel Paint where you have to bomb as much of the game board into your color as possible in a certain time frame, and you lose all your colored tiles when you die.

If they made this the box art for the game I'd buy a Wii U based on that alone.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 13, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Finally Blue vs Orange is a literal battle.

PrBacterio posted:

It needs like, night time and underground levels with neon glow-in-the-dark paint, a variety of game modes (like for example, a domination or ctf mode where you have to/can prevent your opponents from reaching objectives/flags by blocking their path with your own colour ink), customisation and styling options to individualize your character. And it definitely, definitely needs voice chat for team play. If they deliver on all what we imagine for the game right now, it could turn out as one of the best multiplayer/arena shooters ever created, but there's so many ways for it to go wrong.

I agree, but we've already seen a few other environments from screenshots that we didn't see people playing at the treehouse. I think they have a lot more planned.

I really hope they do some Mario Sunshine levels :3:

They've also already mentioned during the treehouse stream that they're working on customization for your squidgirls.

So yeah, I'm optimistic.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
Since gyro controls were mentioned, it's probably worth pointing out that using the control stick to look is possible, and you can swap between control schemes with a single button.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

This is literally a multiplayer inverse of Mario Sunshine and it looks so adorable and fun and I am so much more excited about this than I have any right to be. :allears:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

More Splatoon fanart. It's really weird.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
I guess i am one of the few that is not really excited about this game. It looks interesting, but i guess ill have to play it to make up my mind. Hopefully they release a demo otherwise ill probably avoid it unless there is overwhelming praise for it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Masahiro Anbe, the guy who created the squidgirl manga/anime (I don't know) apparently just tweeted his support for splatoon with his own splatoon fan art!

Hey Nintendo put an inkling in smash bros please.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Whoops

I am ready for the Inkvasion.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 13, 2014

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I think it looks cool and fun and it's an interesting idea for a shooter but it's also a multiplayer shooter on the Wii U. I don't know if the community will still be there after a month. I mean Titanfall died out quickly, how long will this last?

Also please don't turn this thread into 4chan.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The difference between this and other games with online that dies is that this is actually good, so the online will not die.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
This is over a year away. How much fanart can we possibly post to keep this thread alive?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

mabels big day posted:

The difference between this and other games with online that dies is that this is actually good, so the online will not die.

Counterpoint: (any given) Call of Duty is one of the most-played console online multiplayer games and it is bad.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

How the gently caress is there so much fan art for this game already? :psyduck:

Anyway, I'll echo some of PrBacterio's concerns about it. I think it needs to be built out a lot more before it's a full game. It certainly can be and I hope that it will be, because it has a 2015 release date, but so do a lot of games that Nintendo is working on. Hopefully they devote the energy into making different kinds of weapons, modes, courses and customization with the muliplayer/online options to do it justice. I'm also a little worried, given the Wii U's track record and Nintendo's with online, that it'll be tough to organize a ton of eight player matches, so I hope there's some kind of strategy/campaign mode for playing at home alone or with a few friends.

It looks really innovative, cool and fun, but if it doesn't get a lot of work, it will very much wasted potential. Hopefully they'll devote the resources to build it out, especially since it made such a...

....splash...

at E3.

*horns.aiff*

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Bicyclops posted:

It's a new, completely original Nintendo IP. I'd be surprised if there wasn't fanart by this point.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I'd be shocked if this game gets released early 2015.

Also I watched some doofus with a youtube channel talk about his first impression and somewhere in there he said it will have fully integrated voice chat, which is promising for this game.

I hope we can do custom ink colors

I'm psyched as hell. Calamari dudes!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bicyclops posted:

There was fanart and plushies made of the starter Pokemon hours after they were revealed. Fan art a few days after the reveal of a fun looking Nintendo IP with characters that don't look generic and boring isn't really strange.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Fetishes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

There was fanart and plushies made of the starter Pokemon hours after they were revealed. Fan art a few days after the reveal of a fun looking Nintendo IP with characters that don't look generic and boring isn't really strange.

I guess, but people kind of already know what the Pokemon are. We don't even know who the strange squidcat is or why the squidgirls are competing to graffiti ink up their territories yet, all is mystery in squidland.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I hope there is an canonical database of the squidgirl's extensive backstory so that this fan art won't be weird.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I hope there is an canonical database of the squidgirl's extensive backstory so that this fan art won't be weird.

Hopefully, the offsite wiki will be clear about what aspects of the squidiverse are canon and which are mere fan speculation. I don't want to have to retcon my fan videos featuring the Splatoon amiibos later on because of some damned rumor about the blue ink timeline.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I hope we can do custom ink colors

I want customization, but ink colors seems like a bad idea. The current ones are great for a lot of colorblind people.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is it only squid girls? I'd love to play this game if I ever get a Wii U, but I can't see gender from goo hair and glaring squid eyes. :confused:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Is it only squid girls? I'd love to play this game if I ever get a Wii U, but I can't see gender from goo hair and glaring squid eyes. :confused:

No, there's definitely boy characters too - the devs referred to the characters in general as "inklings"

e: Or at least I assume the one on the far right is a boy

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This looks pretty cool but I'll be a lot more likely to buy it if it has local multiplayer. Which, given the push to give it some good Gamepad features, seems up in the air. Not that taking advantage of the Gamepad is bad.

Also the art style reminds me of Despicable Me, which I really liked so that's another point in its favor.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I for one like that even people like me who can't aim for poo poo in console shooters will still be valuable contributors to the team effort. The art style is cute and it looks like there are a lot of mechanics that should keep it interesting. Does anyone know if the various weapons like the ink nuke, roller, or bazooka things that you pick before the game or are they picked up during a match?

Man, after this E3 I'm basically out of excuses for not owning a Wii U.

And if they allowed custom ink colors I'm certain you'd be seeing a whole lot of brown.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Crabtree posted:

Technically everything we've been shown has been androgynous.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

C-Euro posted:

This looks pretty cool but I'll be a lot more likely to buy it if it has local multiplayer. Which, given the push to give it some good Gamepad features, seems up in the air. Not that taking advantage of the Gamepad is bad.

Also the art style reminds me of Despicable Me, which I really liked so that's another point in its favor.

I can't speak for the future, but I think they could easily do a 4 player split screen (probably with notable fps drop though like in Mario Kart) if they kept a translucent minimap in the center of the four screens. I know some other games have done this, and the map doesn't have to be particularly detailed - the only thing that matters is the color and your teammate's positions. You'd have to macro the "jump to a teammate" command to a button, but that could be as easy as making it so when you hold down left trigger and press one of the four face buttons you warp to the respective player's position.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

PrBacterio posted:

I'll repost what I wrote in the E3 TVIV thread about this, because I think it's relevant here:

It's weird that people are worried that there isn't going to be any content in this game. It was an E3 demo for a game that's a year away. Bayonetta 2 has only shown a couple of areas and it releases in October. Does that mean it's going to only have two environments? They aren't going to sell you a 60 dollar game with one game mode, one map, and three guns.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I can't speak for the future me, but the past and present me really appreciate this game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Its hard to say and I think that's the point. The ones with the long pigtails are clearly female. The ones with ponytails could be male or female, its intentionally non-sexual.

For a shooter game, that's absolutely unheard of and I think its pretty great. :)

chumbler posted:

I for one like that even people like me who can't aim for poo poo in console shooters will still be valuable contributors to the team effort. The art style is cute and it looks like there are a lot of mechanics that should keep it interesting. Does anyone know if the various weapons like the ink nuke, roller, or bazooka things that you pick before the game or are they picked up during a match?

Man, after this E3 I'm basically out of excuses for not owning a Wii U.

And if they allowed custom ink colors I'm certain you'd be seeing a whole lot of brown.

They mentioned something like the super weapons spawn in the map, and only if you control a significant majority of the ink color in a certain region. So there'll be like a sniper spawn room, and whoever gets that room to 75% their color gets the weapon, something like that. The details are pretty sketchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

chumbler posted:

Also white and yellow.

I'm perfectly fine without custom color ink, honestly.

• Locked thread