Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The new 3 looks way better as a sedan than as a hatch and I hope if they build another MS3 they do it as a sports sedan. There I've said it and I'm not sorry neither. Though it would probably be difficult to justify that with an MS6 also in the offing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
What Mazda needs is to put the rotary engineers back to work. (....And a new MS3)

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I really liked the wagon Mazda 6. Can we get one of those with whatever the MS6 is offering too. Thanks in advance Mazda.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Phy posted:

The new 3 looks way better as a sedan than as a hatch and I hope if they build another MS3 they do it as a sports sedan. There I've said it and I'm not sorry neither. Though it would probably be difficult to justify that with an MS6 also in the offing.

The hatch does look wacky.

I think I am going to keep the Focus until Alfa comes to America and releases some sort of Giulia / GTV Quadrifoglio Verde hatchback of hellish unreliability. Let's go, FCA! (basically, it looks like I am keeping the Focus until the heat death of the universe)

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Dr.Caligari posted:

What Mazda needs is to put the rotary engineers back to work. (....And a new MS3)

Mazda is in no position to gamble with the rotary right now. We'll be lucky enough to get a new MS3.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So this happened.

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 12, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aww, gently caress. Are you OK?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That sucks, but cars can be replaced, hope you're OK.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I'm really surprised that VW is bringing the 5 door GTI to the US before the 3 door.

The website just says that it's coming soon. Is it just me, or is this backwards?

howling_mad
May 11, 2014
I don't understand why people purchase 3 door hatchbacks. Hatches are practical, the least practical thing to do is get one with 3 doors. It seems counter intuitive.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
drat, Sappo... that first pictures makes your car look like a busted up Johnny Numer 5. RIP.

Hope you're alright.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

howling_mad posted:

I don't understand why people purchase 3 door hatchbacks. Hatches are practical, the least practical thing to do is get one with 3 doors. It seems counter intuitive.

the 4 door weighs more. 90% of the time I will only be transporting 1 person in it. 9% of the time i will transport 2 people in it, and the other 1% of the time can climb in the back and not complain about it because i don't want 2 doors that I don't normally use.

the 2 door hatch is still quite practical.

also I think it looks better.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Oh ya I'm fine, other than my pride!

$8500 repair estimate and a 2 week wait, that's the kicker

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I had a 3 door focus and we could fit six people (one in the hatch) "comfortably"

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

Oh ya I'm fine, other than my pride!

$8500 repair estimate and a 2 week wait, that's the kicker

Wowza. What did it run into?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

Wowza. What did it run into?

Back end of a WRX

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 13, 2014

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

howling_mad posted:

This argument comes up on every frigging page of this thread. For every friend-having dog owning grocery buyer who wants a five door; there's a friendless moron who must attack all three corners in his morning commute, who knows that only the lightest, rigid-est girls car will do.

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 13, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

How would you describe the Veloster with it's three actual doors and the hatch? 3 door is taken to describe 2dr hatches, 4 door conveys that it's a sedan, and it doesn't have enough doors to be called a 5dr.

It's the poster child for "screw it, we'll make it both"

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

sadnessboner posted:

This argument comes up on every frigging page of this thread. For every friend-having dog owning grocery buyer who wants a five door; there's a friendless moron who must attack all three corners in his morning commute, who knows that only the lightest, rigid-est girls car will do.

Haha, it just seems odd to me. I rarely cart anyone around in my ST, maybe my wife once a week at best, but still like the ability to utilize my rear seat easily.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
It's totally personal preference.

I like coupés. If the fiesta was available as a 3 door in the states, I would have bought one instead of another project (which in fact is a coupe).

But for some reason the Mazda 2 3dr rubs me the wrong way.

I also have friends and dogs. I do have a wagon for when I need to transport either.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You can put random stuff into a 2 3 door too, I had a big garbage can and box of 6000 napkins in the back of my Mini today...although as I was buying the garbage can I was thinking ":ohdear: I don't know if this will fit." The whole "buy a bunch of stuff before remembering what I drive" thing has actually come up a bunch now that I think about it, but it's always been big enough.

Edit: even with humans! The trick is that they can hold stuff so you can cram things in differently when they're involved.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Bajaha posted:

How would you describe the Veloster with it's three actual doors and the hatch? 3 door is taken to describe 2dr hatches, 4 door conveys that it's a sedan, and it doesn't have enough doors to be called a 5dr.

Three and a half?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A really ugly car.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It took an embarrassing amount of time for me to realize that the Veloster is...whatever it is, and is not sold as both a 3 and 5 door hatch, as I hoped.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bajaha posted:

"A Veloster"

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
A poor design decision

Sorry dawg, that side profile is total garb.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Bajaha posted:

How would you describe the Veloster with it's three actual doors and the hatch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXfNiiG91wc

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

sadnessboner posted:

Five doors are more rigid, add little weight, are less likely to develop rattles and provide better side impact protection while being far more practical even just for tossing poo poo in the back seat on a shopping trip or whatever.

Some three door hatches look better than the five door, such as with the Fiesta, but others like the GTI are simply proportioned better in the five door variants.

It's a pity the video is such poor quality, that would be great for RAM to use in marketing to their target demographic up here.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

There's another clip out there of that one tearing through a park with kids around before this happens, I think the story was a 14 year old took his grampa's car for a joyride and that's how it ended, don't think he managed to kill/hurt anyone thankfully. Another reason to go for the manual option :colbert:

AF posted:

A poor design decision

Sorry dawg, that side profile is total garb.

It's got a little bit of the squatting dog look to it, although not as bad as the crossfire. If you're around it long enough it grows on you.

Anyone here have a CR-Z? I'm not sure if it qualifies as a hot hatch since it's its own thing being a hybrid but it looks pretty neat. Was checking one out a while back and it looked pretty nice, although storage space was definitely lacking from what I saw.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

mafoose posted:

It's totally personal preference.

I like coupés. If the fiesta was available as a 3 door in the states, I would have bought one instead of another project (which in fact is a coupe).

But for some reason the Mazda 2 3dr rubs me the wrong way.

I also have friends and dogs. I do have a wagon for when I need to transport either.

This is basically what it boils down to. I have another car for when other people must come with me. If I do end up getting a GTI after 10 years it will have less than 80k miles on it. It's purely a car for me to go places, and I like the look of the 3 door better.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Bajaha posted:

There's another clip out there of that one tearing through a park with kids around before this happens, I think the story was a 14 year old took his grampa's car for a joyride and that's how it ended, don't think he managed to kill/hurt anyone thankfully. Another reason to go for the manual option :colbert:

Wouldn't it be possible for a good lawyer to turn around at least part of this and have the truck driver faulted for the actual accident? I don't see a stop sign facing the direction that the white car came from... and the truck was on the wrong side of the road.

I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just curious to how this will be dealt with

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Wouldn't it be possible for a good lawyer to turn around at least part of this and have the truck driver faulted for the actual accident? I don't see a stop sign facing the direction that the white car came from... and the truck was on the wrong side of the road.

I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just curious to how this will be dealt with

From what I hear he did it on purpose to stop the joy riding kid, so from a legal perspective I guess he'd be guilty but I don't think anyone would convict a guy who's trying to stop a dangerous motorist.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah you can probably blame the truck driver for the crash itself, but it's kinda moot relative to everything else the kid already did before that. And the entire reason the truck driver did it was cause what the kid did in the first place.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Last I heard it was an off duty cop. Don't know if that was confirmed or not.

Either way the kid was driving THROUGH the park, over the grass and sidewalks and kids had to run out of the way. I hope that shithead kid doesn't drive again for a very long time.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Five doors are more rigid, add little weight, are less likely to develop rattles and provide better side impact protection
Some three door hatches look better than the five door, such as with the Fiesta, but others like the GTI are simply proportioned better in the five door variants.

I'm confused by this. Does a rear door really provide more rigidity and side impact protection than a doorless rear quarter? I would think that side impact protection would also be the same between 3 and 5 door as the location of the B pillar doesn't seem to move that much - the driver and passenger doors on most 3 door compacts aren't dramtically larger. Why fewer rattles?

In other news, I finally heard a 500 Abarth being wound up in the flesh and now I want all my four cylinders to sound like that. What a fantastic sound.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

Bajaha posted:

Anyone here have a CR-Z? I'm not sure if it qualifies as a hot hatch since it's its own thing being a hybrid but it looks pretty neat. Was checking one out a while back and it looked pretty nice, although storage space was definitely lacking from what I saw.

I test drove one a few months ago. One of my local Hyundai dealerships had a used 2013 for a really good deal so I checked it out.

From my brief driving impressions It felt quicker than the numbers make it look. The electric motor gives some good instant low end torque. The 2013+ has a little more power than the older ones. The sales guy let me use the s+ button which gives a small boost when after you hit 20mph or so. I don't think anybody can complain too much about getting up to legal highway speeds.

With the batteries in the back of the car it felt really well balanced. The interior was really unique and looks nice. Probably one of my favorites of cars around the 20k price.

The real problem with the car IMO is that it's never really good at anything. As a sporty car in it's price bracket things like the fiesta, abarth or even civic si are better. As a hybrid the mpg isn't very impressive either. Add that on top of the fact it's a 2 door 2 seater the appeal is very limited. I found the cargo room pretty lacking even with only 2 seats and a hatch.

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass
Are there any other French hot hatch enthusiasts here? That is, people who like to go fast around corners on the way to their mechanic? This one is mine:

Renaultsport Megane 225 Cup

I read somewhere that Renault doesn't sell in the US, is that the case?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Pulling Teeth posted:

Yup, if you say Renault to almost anyone in the US (or Canada for that matter) you'll be met with a blank stare.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Pulling Teeth posted:

We like our mechanics, but not enough to buy Renaults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
Wheeeee.