Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Iron Rose posted:

I've a hankering for an open world FPS. Basically Far Cry 3, except I've already played both FC3 and Blood Dragon. No Bethesda games, I'm more looking for a 'gently caress around with folks sorta thing.' I've played GTA, Just Cause 2, Sleepy Dogs and Saints Row, and my computer can't run Watch Dogs. I appreciate I'm kinda burying through the list here.

PC only I'm afraid.

Seriously play some loving STALKER right now.

They're all good but I'd start with Call of Pripyat personally. :shrug:

My advise is to savescum like crazy when you're new, you're gonna die a lot. But it'll be a fun learning process. :unsmigghh: And install all kinds of mods, STALKER has tons of freaking amazing mods.

I find Absolute Nature and AtmosFear to be pretty much mandatory. Lots of mod packages include both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Does Stalker CoP open up eventually? I played it for a bit, but after coming from Far Cry 2, whose map is two vast square slabs of land with no loading zones, Stalker felt really fenced in. Fenced in by both anomalies, and literal wire fences.

Granted, FC2 has nothing of Stalker's NPC and quest density, there's no comparison there, and Stalker is fantastic in other ways, but I want to know if it ever feels open compared to Morrowind, Skyrim, DayZ, etc.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sort of - there are two more maps and you eventually have the ability to travel freely between them via an NPC. It's not as big as FC2 though. The tradeoff is that the individual areas are more unique, compared to FC2 where most of the locations are kind of same-y.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

doctorfrog posted:

Does Stalker CoP open up eventually? I played it for a bit, but after coming from Far Cry 2, whose map is two vast square slabs of land with no loading zones, Stalker felt really fenced in. Fenced in by both anomalies, and literal wire fences.

Granted, FC2 has nothing of Stalker's NPC and quest density, there's no comparison there, and Stalker is fantastic in other ways, but I want to know if it ever feels open compared to Morrowind, Skyrim, DayZ, etc.

I think it does. The scale never quite gets to Skyrim or Farcry2/3 levels; they did kinda split each game up into two or three zones, (though the later zones can be more open) and then as you said there's fences and indoor locations within those zones.

To me though "open" means I can run in any direction I want and stumble into things going on and get lost and then wind up somewhere else, and STALKER has that in spades.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Defiance is a F2P open world MMOTPS that might be of interest; I haven't played it yet, but am installing it now, and I'm looking for the same sort of thing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

I've a hankering for an open world FPS. Basically Far Cry 3, except I've already played both FC3 and Blood Dragon. No Bethesda games, I'm more looking for a 'gently caress around with folks sorta thing.' I've played GTA, Just Cause 2, Sleepy Dogs and Saints Row, and my computer can't run Watch Dogs. I appreciate I'm kinda burying through the list here.

PC only I'm afraid.

A stretch but you might enjoy just loving with people in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, although it's a bit more gated in terms of hitting quest points to unlock doors, populate some areas, etc. It's certainly a lot smaller of a map to explore at a time than the games you've listed but you can create chaos and the game responds appropriately with police etc. The melee animations never get old for me either.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously play some loving STALKER right now.

They're all good but I'd start with Call of Pripyat personally. :shrug:

My advise is to savescum like crazy when you're new, you're gonna die a lot. But it'll be a fun learning process. :unsmigghh: And install all kinds of mods, STALKER has tons of freaking amazing mods.

I find Absolute Nature and AtmosFear to be pretty much mandatory. Lots of mod packages include both.

Since we're on the topic of Call of Pripyat and mods, I'd though I'd throw out a hearty recommendation for Misery. It's got that feeling of scrounging bullets and living in a bleak, radiation filled world that the Ranger modes of the Metro games give off, but in a non-linear setting. Its also possibly the only game where I seriously considered putting a bullet in a nearby passive NPC not because it strikes my fancy, but because there was a high chance that if I didn't, I was going to die.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You might want to check out Space Station 13. It has a few different game modes, but by far the most common one is traitor, which plays very similar to what you're describing (generally the traitor has specific objectives to accomplish, but certain traitor types like Changeling basically want to eat as many other players as possible). The thing that makes it so interesting is the breadth and depth of things you can do as both a traitor and non-traitor player. Read some of the player stories in that thread to get an idea of the insane number of things you can do in that game.

Do you have a link to some kind of guide on how to play? I tried it and I am completely lost. It's not exactly intuitive, and this is from a long time df player.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Can anyone recommend me a game that has lots of unique minor characters? I've recently been playing State of Decay, and what I love most about it is the sheer randomness/individuality of the non-hero characters you encounter. It made me think back to XCOM: EU, with unique characters being given life beyond their dullness through the experiences you go through with them (the constant threat of losing them definitely helps). I love playing games with characters that seem to contribute little-to-nothing to the story, yet are either full of character or are unique enough that I unconsciously fill in the blanks.

My preferences for this kind of request are pretty wide. Besides SoD and XCom, I've enjoyed The Last Remnant/SaGa Frontier (wide range of unique party characters), Crusader Kings (goofy looking people for me to feel bad about murdering), Evil Genius (Samurai/Afroman/Witchdoctor/etc.), and Telltale's The Walking Dead (self-explanatory). These games seem to have little in common, but they have that oomph of character(s) that just spices up the game.

TLDR: Give me games with characters for me to dote on.

Bloody Pancreas fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 12, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Any Fire Emblem game, although the remake of the first (Shadow Dragon) is the worst on this front.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

Any Fire Emblem game, although the remake of the first (Shadow Dragon) is the worst on this front.

Fire Emblem Awakening looks to be the most accessible of the games (definitely up my alley), but it is exclusive to the 3DS. I only have the regular DS so I'm going to have to pass on the series.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Fire Emblem Awakening looks to be the most accessible of the games (definitely up my alley), but it is exclusive to the 3DS. I only have the regular DS so I'm going to have to pass on the series.

If you've an old ds with a GBA slot try and track down fire emblem blazing sword and/or sacred stones. The GBA games are, IMO, a lot more fun than the newest 3DS games, and have a decent story to boot!

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Can anyone recommend me a game that has lots of unique minor characters?

This is a stretch, and a PS exclusive besides... but I think The Last of Us had the best cast of characters I've seen for awhile. It's not exactly "lots" of characters, and they're not randomly generated or anything, but they were well written.

I want a spin-off/prequel starring Tess and her smuggling ring, dammit.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Can anyone recommend me a game that has lots of unique minor characters? I've recently been playing State of Decay, and what I love most about it is the sheer randomness/individuality of the non-hero characters you encounter. It made me think back to XCOM: EU, with unique characters being given life beyond their dullness through the experiences you go through with them (the constant threat of losing them definitely helps). I love playing games with characters that seem to contribute little-to-nothing to the story, yet are either full of character or are unique enough that I unconsciously fill in the blanks.

My preferences for this kind of request are pretty wide. Besides SoD and XCom, I've enjoyed The Last Remnant/SaGa Frontier (wide range of unique party characters), Crusader Kings (goofy looking people for me to feel bad about murdering), Evil Genius (Samurai/Afroman/Witchdoctor/etc.), and Telltale's The Walking Dead (self-explanatory). These games seem to have little in common, but they have that oomph of character(s) that just spices up the game.

Xenonauts is an incredible game and definitely worth checking out if you're interested in another X-Com (thread - check out the goon impressions, they're very positive, this game is pretty stellar). Don't let the Early Access tag fool you, the game is feature-complete and will be officially leaving Early Access in the next couple weeks when the devs finish up some promotional/marketing stuff. Liberal Crime Squad is great for this if you're okay with ASCII graphics and text, it's not as complicated as it looks and it's pretty much entirely about recruiting ridiculous characters in to your Arch-Liberal Crime Organization, giving them code names, and assigning them to tasks ranging from kidnapping and stealing cars to prostitution and murder - the whole thing is very tongue-in-cheek and pokes equal fun at both sides of the political spectrum.

You might want to check out the NWN2 expansion, Storm of Zehir. It gets a bad rap on these forums but I thought it was great and you might like it - it's basically a D&D rules dungeon crawl with a world map that you explore and find random encounters/hidden dungeons/etc, but it's focused on creating your own party of six characters instead of recruiting fleshed-out NPC companions with dialog. Don't expect much from the story or dialog, but if you like D&D combat/character building and like the idea of creating your own adventuring party, it's my favorite game of the type. Temple of Elemental Evil is another great (if you download unofficial patches) game in a similar style, but it can be pretty brutal if you're not familiar with D&D. Icewind Dale 2 (I never played the first) is another great game like this if you want something in the Infinity Engine.

FTL is a spaceship roguelike (with graphics) where you recruit a crew who really have no personality other than being different alien species, and they often die. You can get pretty attached to them anyway.

E: Maybe Cart Life which is basically a Poor Person Simulator where you run a small business like a newspaper stand, you'll have regular customers who you'll get to know by name and you chat with them every day when they come by and learn about them, but they're not the focus of the game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 12, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Given that you liked XCOM and why, the original X-COM and its other descendants (Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance 2, Xenonauts) are obvious recommendations. X-COM and Xenonauts give you randomly generated unique characters like XCOM:EU does, S^2 and JA2 give you a wide selection of pre-existing characters to choose from a la TLR.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Bloody Pancreas posted:

The Suikoden series always has a cast of (at least) 108 characters, half of which are one note padding while the rest are important to the story or have interesting contextual dialogue. Just don't play Tierkreis. 4 is kind of junky too.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
So of my steam games, what's something I can play offline and really engross myself in? I prefer RPGs, not too huge on strategy games. Something with a strong sense of progression would be nice.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Invisible Ted posted:

So of my steam games, what's something I can play offline and really engross myself in? I prefer RPGs, not too huge on strategy games. Something with a strong sense of progression would be nice.

If you're into Action RPGs, I would recommend DX:HR and Sleeping Dogs, which I see you've sunk some hours into. The Witcher also fits that bill. If you're feeling a bit more modern and don't mind the GTA-controls, I'd say give LA Noire a shot. I enjoyed playing detective a lot.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'd like some ww2 fps stuff to sink my teeth into while I wait for the new wolfenstein to lower in price. What's good for the 360?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

lenoon posted:

I'd like some ww2 fps stuff to sink my teeth into while I wait for the new wolfenstein to lower in price. What's good for the 360?

I think Sniper Elite v2 is on 360. It's 3rd person though. I also remember enjoying Medal of Honor: Airborne. I did not enjoy Call of Duty: World at War, though that game does feature Keifer Sutherland and Gary Oldman as main characters.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Danger Mahoney posted:

Do you have a link to some kind of guide on how to play? I tried it and I am completely lost. It's not exactly intuitive, and this is from a long time df player.

Yeah the interface is pretty poo poo - it is not uncommon for new players to end up giving themselves concussions trying to put on shoes. The Goonstation wiki has a ton of information on how the various systems in the game work as well as a good quick start guide to get you up to speed with the horrible interface. It's a lot like DF in that once you get used to it it's not so difficult to work with, but it's incredibly unintuitive to pick up initially.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Okay. This might sound weird, but I only really enjoy games that are game-y and I'm looking for something on the PS3.

My favorite games last gen are Skyrim, Dishonored, Modnation Racers, and Portal. They're games with either no story or just a premise that throw you in the game without interrupting your game or doing it very, very little.

I know this might limit the amount of AAA titles recommended and I'm all for cool indie games, but just in case, here are some games I think are stupid:

The Last of Us, Assassin's Creed series, Infamous series - stuff like that. I'm looking for something that focuses on gameplay without making me stop playing the game to watch lots of cutscenes. I still gotta play Dark Souls, but I think a game like that I would enjoy.

I know this poo poo is kinda vague, but I just want to start getting into some better games I enjoy before I get the newer consoles.

Just so you know, I bought an SNES last summer because I wanted to play games so simple and with so little story because I really hate exhaustive writing in games.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 14, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Are there any games with political intrigue comparable to Crusader Kings 2? I love tv shows like Borgen for their political soap opera & backstabbing. I'm interested in something less military-focused than the Total War games.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Grump posted:

Okay. This might sound weird, but I only really enjoy games that are game-y and I'm looking for something on the PS3.

My favorite games last gen are Skyrim, Dishonored, Modnation Racers, and Portal. They're games with either no story or just a premise that throw you in the game without interrupting your game or doing it very, very little.

I know this might limit the amount of AAA titles recommended and I'm all for cool indie games, but just in case, here are some games I think are stupid:

The Last of Us, Assassin's Creed series, Infamous series - stuff like that. I'm looking for something that focuses on gameplay without making me stop playing the game to watch lots of cutscenes. I still gotta play Dark Souls, but I think a game like that I would enjoy.

I know this poo poo is kinda vague, but I just want to start getting into some better games I enjoy before I get the newer consoles.

Just so you know, I bought an SNES last summer because I wanted to play games so simple and with so little story because I really hate exhaustive writing in games.

The Uncharted series is really well liked on the PS3. I'm not sure which ones in particular are the best though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

The Uncharted series is really well liked on the PS3. I'm not sure which ones in particular are the best though.

I can only speak for the first, but this really sounds like exactly what he's not looking for. Lots of cutscenes peppered by a few mediocre, linear action sequences here and there.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Like Collabo said, Uncharted is very linear and cutscene heavy.

Sounds lime the best fit would be a sandboxy game. In the realm of AAA titles, the obvious ones are GTA V and Saints Row.

Edit: PS3 only. Can't read.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 14, 2014

Laughing_Stock
Jun 19, 2008

Grump posted:

Prototype fits the bill here. Movement is a hell of a lot of fun and the upgrades you get are a total blast. Plus there's something hilarious about eating a random civilian, transforming into a doppelganger of them, then scaling buildings and leaping around like a complete idiot.

It has a lot of stupid cut scenes but they're all very skippable, basically to advance the game just travel to the next waypoint and figure out the most creative way to kill everything or chase something down.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Grump posted:

Definitely keep Dark Souls in mind, as it fits your criteria quite well. I would suggest the Batman Arkham games as well. They have some cutscenes but nothing too much more intrusive than say, Dishonored. It realizes its a game.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I also think that Just Cause 2 might be a good choice.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Just Cause 2 is the most game-y game I've played and it's great.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I like all genres, mostly. Sandbox is a little weird because it really has to fill all the right requirements for me. For example, Infamous is a crappy sandbox because it totally limits the amount of freedom because of the Karma system, meaning you can't kill 2/3rds of the people on the map, missions are really close together, and don't offer any sort of exploration.

Skyrim's good because you can literally do anything.

I'm also looking for some good modern side-scrollers maybe. Some other type of action game, that's different from the Arkham games (I wasn't really a fan). And any other just purely fun game there is. I don't loving know.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Saints Row IV sounds like it might be up your alley. I think it's even on sale on PSN right now.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Saints Row IV sounds like it might be up your alley. I think it's even on sale on PSN right now.

Saints Row IV is up everyone's alley, really. It's probably more fun if you've played the previous games in the series because there's a lot of callbacks, but if all you care about is the gameplay then that doesn't really matter. It's basically the best superhero/villain game out there.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Shadow Complex is a cool 2D Metroidvania on XBLA. SSX is a snowboarding game that is a lot of fun (multiplatform console). The Metal Gear series only infrequently comes out on PC, but had a collection recently released on the 360 (and PS3). The Gear of War series is one of my favourite fallbacks for co-op.

And Red Dead Redemption is fantastic.

These are all very good recommendations. I was literally going to suggest all of these. I'd also recommend Rayman Legends (or Origins) if you like 2D platformers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

1redflag posted:

These are all very good recommendations. I was literally going to suggest all of these. I'd also recommend Rayman Legends (or Origins) if you like 2D platformers.

Just get Rayman Legends. It comes with most of the levels from Origins as unlockable extras.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Are there any other games like the upcoming sim cell which take place on a microscopic or nanoscopic level?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
What are some good 2-4 player split-screen/hot seat games for PC using XBOX controllers? I'm going on a trip with friends and being outside is scary.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Boz0r posted:

What are some good 2-4 player split-screen/hot seat games for PC using XBOX controllers? I'm going on a trip with friends and being outside is scary.

Streets of Rage Remake. Search for SORRv5

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Boz0r posted:

Rayman Legends should do the trick. Four-player platforming co-op goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Boz0r posted:

Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, definitely. Also comedy option, Octodad.