Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Phylodox posted:

Right now all I want in life is for Batman's reverse beatdown to look exactly like this.

I am happy to report that it does look exactly like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I'm excited for the game but considering how quickly the last one went on sale on Steam (literally like 2 - 3 months) I am just going to wait this time. Game was released on October and was on sale for the Winter Sale with a significant discount.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If a game franchise makes three games in a row that I love the gently caress out of, I wouldn't have any qualms about pre-ordering it. Only other series this applies to: anything Metal Gear, and I'm gonna say anything Half-Life as well because I would probably pre-order Half-Life 3 and feel it was a safe purchase.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm excited for the game but considering how quickly the last one went on sale on Steam (literally like 2 - 3 months) I am just going to wait this time. Game was released on October and was on sale for the Winter Sale with a significant discount.
Origins doesn't count.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Origins doesn't count.

Origins wasn't THAT terrible. It was fun albeit samey. It could have been a lot worse, but it managed to have several of the best boss fights in the series, because let's be honest and accept the fact that the boss fights in AA and AC were mostly totally poo poo. :colbert:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Did AO bomb in sales or something?

Anyway, I actually enjoyed AO a little bit more than the previous two games though there are certain gameplay aspects, like upgrades, that were inferior.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

AO didn't bomb, it sold pretty well overall, especially in the first few weeks before word got out that it was full of gamebreaking bugs. At a guess, I'd say it dropping price so early for the Winter Sale was to try to salvage sales after word had spread about the bugs and people had soured on it, even though those initial bugs had been patched out.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The only thing that bugged me about Arkham Origins were the indoor environments. They seemed fairly complex, leading you through vents and various other scenery, but if you stopped and observed what you were doing, you'd realize you were essentially being funneled down one long narrow corridor. I guess the previous games were just better at disguising it.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AO's combat sucked. Too many combo breaking enemies, which Batman targeted automatically when you couldn't see them because of the lovely camera. Add that to not being able to counter once you press attack, and the whole game had me afraid to punch people.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Discendo Vox posted:

My primary combat concern is the interaction of different enemy types in the freeflow combat structure. There have always been certain enemy types that just sort of don't mesh with the system and can occasionally give you a surprise combo breaker- this was especially bad in AO, where that was seemingly half of the enemies. I'm hoping this doesn't occur in AK.
It was probably WB Montreal to "blame" for that. There were a lot of moves that in AC just didn't bump up your combo but if you did in AO will cancel you out. Examples are like batarang-ing enemies that will shake it off.

Don't know why they changed it but hopefully Rocksteady decides to go to the AC solution they had, because honestly you don't always have control of what a quickfire gadget will hit, so when it cancels you out in AO it's a little frustrating (especially when it decides, say, a batarang decides to skip the three thugs right in your face and flies at an armoured enemy) and I would have to guess it was an intentional change by WB Montreal for I don't-know-why reasons.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
As much as I enjoyed Origins, I think it would have been better as a comic book instead of a game. But then again if it was a comic, we wouldn't have gotten the Slade fight, so there is that.

(the slade fight is really good i think)

EDIT: My primary problem with Origins combat was that countering was super tight and if you didn't have loving ESP and see it coming before it actually appeared, there was no way you were going to counter a dude. In the other games you always got enough time to get an extra punch or two in before you had to react, but in Origins if you don't push triangle THE MOMENT you see the attack icon appear, tough poo poo get hit. Maybe this was because I was playing on hard, but combat on hard in Asylum and City never felt like that.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 14, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I enjoyed the Slade fight but I guess I can see that the fight itself is actually kinda lame if you break it down mechanics-wise. I'm not sure how else you can do a 1v1 melee fight in Arkham that doesn't involve QTEs.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

kalonZombie posted:

As much as I enjoyed Origins, I think it would have been better as a comic book instead of a game. But then again if it was a comic, we wouldn't have gotten the Slade fight, so there is that.

EDIT: My primary problem with Origins combat was that countering was super tight and if you didn't have loving ESP and see it coming before it actually appeared, there was no way you were going to counter a dude. In the other games you always got enough time to get an extra punch or two in before you had to react, but in Origins if you don't push triangle THE MOMENT you see the attack icon appear, tough poo poo get hit. Maybe this was because I was playing on hard, but combat on hard in Asylum and City never felt like that.

I felt that the countering problem wasn't as much as pressing the counter button the moment that you saw an attack coming in, but instead that you could not counter in mid-strike. So after every strike, I had to wait 1/4 of a second to see if I needed to counter any potential threat instead of just punching another dude.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's interesting, I didn't even notice these changes to the combat system, I suppose because it was months in between playing City and Origins. Up until this point I thought it was exactly the same.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's interesting, I didn't even notice these changes to the combat system, I suppose because it was months in between playing City and Origins. Up until this point I thought it was exactly the same.

The thing is that this reception is not actually consistent. I played the game and am able to counter effortlessly mid-combo and never have had targeting problems. There seems to be some glitch which causes this or some version difference. (A lot of people who complain are PC players and I played the PS3 version.)

I've never actually seen video proof of these problems but they're widespread enough that I'm sure they exist. It's just very hard to figure out what the cause is.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I'm having a pretty decent time with AO but none of those things are my least favorite thing. I've been playing about 10 hours now, doing a decent amount of collectible hunting, about to track down the Executioner, and I STILL can't get access to the weapon destroying special. Coming from AC, I really hate that I'm facing all sorts of gun, shield and knife wielding enemies and have to force my way through the main story to unlock the side mission that gives it to you.

It also stops me from wanting to do any challenge maps yet. The unlocks being gated behind side quests at all is just poor design IMO.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FadedReality posted:

I'm having a pretty decent time with AO but none of those things are my least favorite thing. I've been playing about 10 hours now, doing a decent amount of collectible hunting, about to track down the Executioner, and I STILL can't get access to the weapon destroying special. Coming from AC, I really hate that I'm facing all sorts of gun, shield and knife wielding enemies and have to force my way through the main story to unlock the side mission that gives it to you.

It also stops me from wanting to do any challenge maps yet. The unlocks being gated behind side quests at all is just poor design IMO.

Get ready for the long haul, it's the last sidequest in the game.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

There was an interesting theory put forward in the GT hands-on that I thought sounded cool, and I wanted to know if any of you found it likely - basically, the idea that for its finale, AK will pull a Shadow Moses and have the end of the game take place at Arkham Asylum.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that this reception is not actually consistent. I played the game and am able to counter effortlessly mid-combo and never have had targeting problems. There seems to be some glitch which causes this or some version difference. (A lot of people who complain are PC players and I played the PS3 version.)

I've never actually seen video proof of these problems but they're widespread enough that I'm sure they exist. It's just very hard to figure out what the cause is.

On the other end, I've experienced all of these problems, but have seen videos where the problem doesn't seem to exist. It's very weird.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

It was definitely because you were playing on hard. Hard mode speeds everything up by a lot even in Arkham City.

BreakAtmo posted:

There was an interesting theory put forward in the GT hands-on that I thought sounded cool, and I wanted to know if any of you found it likely - basically, the idea that for its finale, AK will pull a Shadow Moses and have the end of the game take place at Arkham Asylum.

The last area of Arkham Origins seemed to be a callback to Arkham Asylum, for what its worth.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

ayn rand hand job posted:

Get ready for the long haul, it's the last sidequest in the game.

:psyduck: I don't understand this decision at all. It's not like it makes sense in the story or anything. Yes, I can see it now. It was just before dawn on Christmas when Batman was still new to the streets of Gotham. He was pretty tired, having fought a shitload of enemies including a new, extra crazy guy called the Joker and an 8 foot tall Mexican wrestler named Bane. Except instead of tired, he got PUMPED AS gently caress and started bending STEEL PIPES YO. BATMAN :black101:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

FadedReality posted:

:psyduck: I don't understand this decision at all. It's not like it makes sense in the story or anything. Yes, I can see it now. It was just before dawn on Christmas when Batman was still new to the streets of Gotham. He was pretty tired, having fought a shitload of enemies including a new, extra crazy guy called the Joker and an 8 foot tall Mexican wrestler named Bane. Except instead of tired, he got PUMPED AS gently caress and started bending STEEL PIPES YO. BATMAN :black101:
I've been struggling to decide if I want to play Origins or just wait for Knight but I think this has killed it. Not having Disarm and Destroy on Catwoman/Robin/Nightwing was the second most annoying thing about City for me (the most annoying was that pressing the D&D button when nobody had a weapon just did a takedown as Batman but nothing at all as the other 3 characters, which meant you couldn't really rebind it for convenience :argh:).

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Pilchenstein posted:

I've been struggling to decide if I want to play Origins or just wait for Knight but I think this has killed it. Not having Disarm and Destroy on Catwoman/Robin/Nightwing was the second most annoying thing about City for me (the most annoying was that pressing the D&D button when nobody had a weapon just did a takedown as Batman but nothing at all as the other 3 characters, which meant you couldn't really rebind it for convenience :argh:).

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it a good deal other than this. Though when the last thing you do playing Arkham City is FINALLY beat Joker's Carnival after an absurd number of tries, playing without the Disarm and Destroy definitely feels like a part of the usual arsenal is missing. For the $12.50 I paid for the game and season pass on GMG, I can look past a handful of dumb rear end design decisions for what feels like Arkham City round two.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FadedReality posted:

You do get a bit of an alternative before that. It won't permanently remove weapons, but it is an unblockable attack that stuns enemies and will cause them to drop anything they're carrying. Works against all types of dudes as well.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Sleepy Owl posted:

It was definitely because you were playing on hard. Hard mode speeds everything up by a lot even in Arkham City.

I might have to give the game another go on normal then. If that's the case then a lot of my complaints about the combat are solved simply by not playing on the dick-waving difficulty.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

FadedReality posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it a good deal other than this. Though when the last thing you do playing Arkham City is FINALLY beat Joker's Carnival after an absurd number of tries, playing without the Disarm and Destroy definitely feels like a part of the usual arsenal is missing. For the $12.50 I paid for the game and season pass on GMG, I can look past a handful of dumb rear end design decisions for what feels like Arkham City round two.

The best part is, you get Disarm and Destroy after a sidequest which ends in a very particular location where many, many people have fallen through the world and been unable to get back out, permanently ruining your ability to do anything else on that save file except for challenge maps.

So if Disarm and Destroy isn't literally the very last thing you do in the open world, you might not get to do anything else.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Man you guys are hatin' all over Origins. I never expected that response after I played it. Unless you're really into nitpicking things you will enjoy Origins. I don't care if I don't get Disarm and Destroy at whatever time, I'm reading you guys complain about it and I don't even remember it being an issue that I noticed. Guys with guns can be dealt with in other ways than "Press button to deal with gun guys"

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Man you guys are hatin' all over Origins. I never expected that response after I played it. Unless you're really into nitpicking things you will enjoy Origins. I don't care if I don't get Disarm and Destroy at whatever time, I'm reading you guys complain about it and I don't even remember it being an issue that I noticed. Guys with guns can be dealt with in other ways than "Press button to deal with gun guys"

I enjoyed Origins on the whole, honestly, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about the things I don't like about it. I complain about things I don't like in the other games, too, like a desert of decent boss fights (before slade came along the only good boss fight was mr freeze), rooms with dumb/annoying gimmicks (the killer croc room in asylum, the frozen pool in citys museum), and Harley Quinn's outfits (just dress up like you did in the animated series stop being suicide girls fapbait aaaaaaa).

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

kalonZombie posted:

I enjoyed Origins on the whole, honestly, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about the things I don't like about it. I complain about things I don't like in the other games, too, like a desert of decent boss fights (before slade came along the only good boss fight was mr freeze), rooms with dumb/annoying gimmicks (the killer croc room in asylum, the frozen pool in citys museum), and Harley Quinn's outfits (just dress up like you did in the animated series stop being suicide girls fapbait aaaaaaa).

They didn't dress her up like TAS Harley to seperate the Arkham games from the animates series. That being said, her AC outfit wasn't the worst, but they all did suck.

Origins is my favorite of the series since it feels the most like an actual Batman game where you go around Gotham as opposed to an asylum, prison, or super-prison like in the other games. You even got a batcave! The combat wasn't bad, but was extremely aggressive and focused A LOT more on spacing (a good thing) rather than thinning out everyone ASAP and just wailing on them which created very different strategies for different fights. The freeze goons in the DLC were the worst about this but weren't too bad when you realized how to approach them.

My biggest complaint to this day is why a silent takedown cannot be used on armored goons. Armored or not, squeezing the neck will still cut off blood flow. I can understand if the animation was longer and you couldn't do a quick takedown during the animation but not allowing it at all is kind of lovely, but understandable.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
There a lots of things I liked about Origins, but most of them got overshadowed by the bugs, unnecessary design changes, and the overall samey feeling of it. But I will say that the way they integrated challenge maps into the story campaign was brilliant. Getting XP from the challenge maps and putting maps under the guise of training simulations in the Batcave is something I'd like to see again in Arkham Knight.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Arkham Origins wasn't my favorite, but I think I liked the additions they added since we actually have boss fights that don't suck and I loved fighting the martial artists. I don't care how good the Mr. Freeze fight was in AC, the final boss fight was poo poo.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

There a lots of things I liked about Origins, but most of them got overshadowed by the bugs, unnecessary design changes, and the overall samey feeling of it. But I will say that the way they integrated challenge maps into the story campaign was brilliant. Getting XP from the challenge maps and putting maps under the guise of training simulations in the Batcave is something I'd like to Arkham Knight.

Most of the bugs were fixed and Origins is the definition of a "safe sequel" so I don't know what you mean by that since we knew Rocksteady had some kind of Batman game around the corner before the game was even announced. I do agree about the design issues to a point. Not having disarm/destroy limited you, but forced you to think differently which is a good thing.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

I really don't like having to deal with a riot shield or knife more than once in a big group fight. In Arkham City the ability was only locked by preceding abilities which is a dumb change among a bunch of good changes.

While we're talking about the worst franchise in gaming history, let me also say that I don't like the change to interrogating a Riddler informant guy. I don't like that I have to hit him a time or two extra at the end of the fight instead of just grabbing him.

Verdict: 7 out of 10 do not buy

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

kalonZombie posted:

(before slade came along the only good boss fight was mr freeze)

You forgot to mention Ra's al Ghul. :colbert:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You forgot to mention Ra's al Ghul. :colbert:

Ra's was not a good fight.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Also, as much as it was a rip off of Heart of Ice, Cold Cold Heart was an pretty drat good DLC. Much better than Harley Quinn's Revenge.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

Ra's was not a good fight.

Ra's is an okay fight, but completely forgettable. In fact, I DID forget about the Ras fight the second time I played it and I was like "Wait what is even happening I don't remember this at ALL".

blackguy32 posted:

Also, as much as it was a rip off of Heart of Ice, Cold Cold Heart was an pretty drat good DLC. Much better than Harley Quinn's Revenge.

I've been meaning to get both, actually.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

kalonZombie posted:

Ra's is an okay fight, but completely forgettable. In fact, I DID forget about the Ras fight the second time I played it and I was like "Wait what is even happening I don't remember this at ALL".

Man, seriously? It's utter insanity; Batman is tripping balls the whole time. I love that fight, and was looking forward to it my entire second play. Seeing a hundred mooks hurl themselves at you and you have to spam counter... well, it makes you feel like a real badass, even though it's all a hallucination.

Meanwhile, I had forgotten all about the (lovely) final boss and only remembered when I saw an action figure for it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Man, seriously? It's utter insanity; Batman is tripping balls the whole time. I love that fight, and was looking forward to it my entire second play. Seeing a hundred mooks hurl themselves at you and you have to spam counter... well, it makes you feel like a real badass, even though it's all a hallucination.

Meanwhile, I had forgotten all about the (lovely) final boss and only remembered when I saw an action figure for it.

Clayface wasn't that lovely (it's been years. If you haven't played AC yet, your fault) but he wasn't that great either. He sure was better than roid-joker though. Most of the bossfight problems come from the limitations of the combat system, and with the exception of both freeze fights, Deathstroke, AO Deadshot, and MAYBE AC Joker (I liked it but I can see why others don't) they all sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Personally, in terms of boss fights, my favorite from each game would have to be

Arkham Asylum: Scarecrow. The rest are either too samey (Bane, Titans) or drag on for too long with little variation (Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Titan Joker).

Arkham City: Ra's al Ghul. I dunno, maybe it's just seeing Batman countering 30 guys at once, but I really liked this fight. The "spam the REC" segment was probably the only weak point. Mr. Freeze is, of course, my next favorite. Joker's would be third, by virtue of being pretty good, albeit with some annoying stage hazards. Grundy and Clayface, however, were pretty lame and boiled down to gadget spamming.

Arkham Origins: Firefly. Odd that he'd be my favorite, considering I hated the other gadget spam bosses, but I don't know. I guess I just liked the choreography of the fight and the shifting from one end of the bridge to another. It helps that I really wanted to see Firefly in an Arkham game for the longest. From there, Deathstroke would be my next favorite and then Deadshot. Aside from those three, the rest of the bosses weren't terribly interesting.

• Locked thread