Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

With Rogers taking the NHL national contract hostage for the next decade and the Ceeb not getting a penny from the games they will be allowed to show while also produced in house by Rogers, what will become of Ron McLean and Grapes? Are they effectively sent out to pasture and left to die?

I'm not Canadian but I always seek out CBC stream during playoff time just because CBC's production values of puck are always really stellar. The Ceeb is really really good at selling hockey hype much better than NBC especially with their creative opening montages.

Does all of this die after the cup is raised this year? I know jack and poo poo about Canadian broadcasting other than Canada's cable racket is nothing short of a legal oligopoly with no end in sight. America's Hat is much further along in that vision than in the States but we are getting there as Comcast continues to gobble up distribution layers. However, at some point Comcast will have to get Ma Belled like AT&T at some point (one would hope). I think Canadian Telcos/Internet/Cable have a much easier path to bleed everyone dry because the CRTC (their FCC) has no teeth to do poo poo other than stupid Can-Con rules.

By no means is the FCC any great thing... they are completely on board with selling the entire radio spectrum to the highest bidder and be done with it. It just won't happen for at least another 10 years.

Jesus, I went off on a tangent.

tl;dr: Is HNIC as we know it dead?

edit: Is Rogers really a flop house of a network?

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

commy gun posted:

I don't know why they don't have Tirico and Brown calling these games. Breen is pretty good and Van Gundy is alright but I think the former work better and, yes, Mark Jackson is awful.

I'd imagine a big reason against Hubie, and certainly Walton, doing playoff games is the travel. It's one thing to get a series where both teams are reasonably close but that's out the windows in the Finals. The NBA went 2-3-2 in the Finals because the travel between Boston and LA was a nightmare back in the 80s.

Side note, would anyone be interested in a Sports Media sheep game? I'm thinking 20 questions, 5 general, 5 written word, 5 spoken word, and 5 :wtc:. If I could get the program that makes organizing the answers easier I'd do it.

americong
May 29, 2013

Skip Bayless is terrible.

Can we say bad things about Skip Bayless? I would love to hear your bad things to say about Skip Bayless.

I don't even like the Heat or Lebron.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One thing I read (I believe in the ESPN book) was about how they tell the analysts to take oppossing views. Kruk talked about how they were going to have a segment on who they think will win the NL Central. Everyone took the Cardinals and they made two of them change their picks to argue an oppossing view. Kruk had to pick the Pirates I guess and had to argue a point he didn't believe in. With that said, I don't always take the opinion of their analysts at face value.

Instead of having some former players/coaches giving random opinions on vague topics, I wish they'd use their expertise for something that requires expertise. Have a show that breaks down film and talks about changes teams made in games or over the course of a season. Show how a team defended a certain player well. There are some YouTube accounts that do this and are popular, I'm surprised ESPN doesn't put together a show like that for the NBA. It seems like it'd be cheap to produce too.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Niwrad posted:

Instead of having some former players/coaches giving random opinions on vague topics, I wish they'd use their expertise for something that requires expertise. Have a show that breaks down film and talks about changes teams made in games or over the course of a season. Show how a team defended a certain player well. There are some YouTube accounts that do this and are popular, I'm surprised ESPN doesn't put together a show like that for the NBA. It seems like it'd be cheap to produce too.

I agree completely. Sportscenter is an obsolete show. Anyone can see scores and highlights anytime. And I think a lot of people have come to realize that a highlight is utterly pointless without seeing it in context of the game. They're clinging to the show because of people who don't like the internet watching it, but that audience will die, or learn to use computers.

They created endless yelling shows to fill the non sportscenter time and espn2, and I think people have grown very weary of them too.

Use the thousand strong team of analysts to actually analyze things. Maybe replay games with the analysts breaking things down in a little window? I assume they'd show lots of weird sports like they used to, if they got ratings.

They should use their position to make better sports fans, not stupider more yelly sports fans.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

In terms of the "Sports Talk Radio on TV" format, it is rather dumb.

I've been honestly quite enjoying flipping to CBSSN and NBCSN lately.

I'm an auto racing fan (surprise, surprise) so I quite enjoy when they show series I normally don't go out of my way to watch on a Wednesday night. I also think it's cool they air stuff that's random like Beach Volleyball and World's Strongest man.

Even just purely as background noise it works quite a bit better than the current "EMBRACE DEBATE" set up that ESPN currently does.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
That coaches commentary they had on ESPNews during FSU-Auburn this years was fantastic and they should do stuff like that more.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

the culminator posted:

That coaches commentary they had on ESPNews during FSU-Auburn this years was fantastic and they should do stuff like that more.

It got awful ratings as I recall.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Well, it was on ESPNews, what do you expect?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

They really should change the name of ESPNews now that it's basically a glorified overflow channel. But there's plenty of other channels that never changed their name in spite of changing formats, so what do I know

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
ESPNews owned during that in between time when Sportscenter was garbage but the Internet wasn't yet the best way to see highlights

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Its useful in that I record SVP & Russillo so if there's nothing on at night during the week I'll just have it on in the background.

So, yeah, ESPN news is the pancreas of ESPN's networks.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ESPNNews was a godsend in the late 90s-early 00s -- that brief period when cable TV finally got ubiquitous but the Internet was still a novelty/luxury. If you just wanted the scores and key highlights, didn't feel like waiting for the newspaper and had 30 minutes to spare, ESPNNews was there.

The channel has definitely outlived its usefulness but I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Benne fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 15, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WEREWAIF posted:

They created endless yelling shows to fill the non sportscenter time and espn2, and I think people have grown very weary of them too.
Isn't PTI still their highest rated show?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vertical Lime posted:

They really should change the name of ESPNews now that it's basically a glorified overflow channel. But there's plenty of other channels that never changed their name in spite of changing formats, so what do I know

MTV of course being the grandest offender.

Did any sports stations ever try to get Phil Jackson as a commentator during his myriad of hiatuses?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Phil hates travel so much that I doubt he ever really entertained the idea of doing TV.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

MTV of course being the grandest offender.

It's The Learning Channel and it's not even close

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Discovery and History aren't too far behind.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ElwoodCuse posted:

Can't argue there...

although the History Channel going from the Nazi Power Hour to Ancient Aliens and Bigfoot is definitely 2nd.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Sports Media Sheep Game is now open. You should come play! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643521

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Can't argue there...

although the History Channel going from the Nazi Power Hour to Ancient Aliens and Bigfoot is definitely 2nd.

Ancient Aliens is technically history.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Sash! posted:

Ancient Aliens is technically history.

Just like this new documentary I've been hearing a lot about, Game of Thrones.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They're Ancient, I don't know what else you want.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Apparently the San Jose Sharks' tv broadcasting deal is so bad that the league has stepped in to intervene.

Also according to that article the situation is so bad that it questions whether or not the Sharks will stay in San Jose though to be honest I doubt it's that bad.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mornacale posted:

Just like this new documentary I've been hearing a lot about, Game of Thrones.

History: There are these vaguely table-shaped tombs all over Ireland, called dolmen that are megalithic sites dating as far back as 6000 years. How they were constructed is unknown and they would be exceedingly difficult to build with modern technology. You probably wouldn't have heard of that if you weren't watching Ancient Aliens right now.

Not-History: Aliens built them.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Apparently the San Jose Sharks' tv broadcasting deal is so bad that the league has stepped in to intervene.

Also according to that article the situation is so bad that it questions whether or not the Sharks will stay in San Jose though to be honest I doubt it's that bad.
Mark Purdy is both an idiot and extremely prone to hyperbole so yeah, it's unlikely it's that bad. Particularly given that the Sharks are owned by a man worth $9 billion.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So that new Sportscenter set just made it's debut

My god it's the future

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

So that new Sportscenter set just made it's debut

My god it's the future
It just looks weird and the anchors like ants in it.

As a graphics nerd though, it means a likely revamp of all the sports graphic packages on the network which will be interesting. The current graphics used by CFB/MLB don't match the new iPad app-looking ticker, so I assume they're gonna change next season. I was always a fan of the red scorebar from the mid 2000s and was disappointed when they switched to the bland grey bars in 2010. Hopefully they have something slicker planned.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 23, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Quest For Glory II posted:

It just looks weird and the anchors like ants in it.

As a graphics nerd though, it means a likely revamp of all the sports graphic packages on the network which will be interesting. The current graphics used by CFB/MLB don't match the new iPad app-looking ticker, so I assume they're gonna change next season. I was always a fan of the red scorebar from the mid 2000s and was disappointed when they switched to the bland grey bars in 2010. Hopefully they have something slicker planned.

Yeah I love the new graphics package but everytime I see the set I just think "people lost their jobs for this"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It looks like a set from some sort of futuresport movie, but not the good kind like Rollerball or Running Man. No, like if they made a movie from that football-like game in Starship Troopers.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll probably get used to the new scroller, but right now it looks like a generic thing you'd see on NBCSN or Pac-12 Network or something. The old red colors and font popped and made the Bottom Line feel like it meant something special, rather than just "every cable network does this so we're doing it too."

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I like the new font. It is easier to read for people like me with poo poo vision.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The new font and scroll bar just screams "default settings" to me

And yeah, good job with laying people off for a crazy new set, the old one was totally why ESPN was worthless for everything except live sports

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Everything about the new ESPN package is visually unattractive. The massive set feels like a dystopian movie. The graphics, from the little things like fonts to the interstital full-screen ones, look like something out of a generic video game (simple, compressed for space). The entire package places so much focus on the new changes that the actual highlights and facts presented are completely overwhelmed. It all feels like a vanity project for no reason, and with no point.

It's ugly as hell.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I also like how even ESPN television is at the point where they say "hey something cool happened, if you want to actually see it use the sportscenter app"

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

I also like how even ESPN television is at the point where they say "hey something cool happened, if you want to actually see it use the sportscenter app"

By the way, ESPN dropped the ScoreCenter app to get everyone to use the SportsCenter app, which is a huge downgrade.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AsInHowe posted:

By the way, ESPN dropped the ScoreCenter app to get everyone to use the SportsCenter app, which is a huge downgrade.

Scorecenter was horrible anyway. Yahoo and especially CBS have way better score apps

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Seriously the Yahoo sports app is pretty much all you need.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Scorecenter was horrible anyway. Yahoo and especially CBS have way better score apps

But do those have scores and recaps dating back to 2003? ScoreCenter did, which was always a great time killer when pooping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

AsInHowe posted:

Everything about the new ESPN package is visually unattractive. The massive set feels like a dystopian movie. The graphics, from the little things like fonts to the interstital full-screen ones, look like something out of a generic video game (simple, compressed for space). The entire package places so much focus on the new changes that the actual highlights and facts presented are completely overwhelmed. It all feels like a vanity project for no reason, and with no point.

It's ugly as hell.

It's like they subconsciously realize that Sportscenter is an obsolete show and cooked up this massive ridiculous studio as a reaction.

People don't care about contextless highlights anymore, they can check exactly which games they care about online and get a comprehensive picture from any of a billion bloggers.

So they turn up the bombast and hope that their aging demographic leaves ESPN on while they're snoring in worn out recliners.