Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

Going back a bit, it says in the article why. Netflix has the rights to the show and it's the most popular educational show on the service. They see there is a potential demand so they're filling it.

Well I guess I'll eat my words. I didn't know Netflix even got much use as an educational service, which is why I thought bringing the show back on Netflix specifically rather than PBS or... some other distribution I can't think of was silly. But I guess if people actually do use Netflix to show kids educational content instead of regular ol' cartoons, well then good on them for coming back, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not too hyped about it coming back as CGI. With cheap CGI animation you can see the seams a lot more than with cheap 2D.

TwoPair posted:

Well I guess I'll eat my words. I didn't know Netflix even got much use as an educational service, which is why I thought bringing the show back on Netflix specifically rather than PBS or... some other distribution I can't think of was silly. But I guess if people actually do use Netflix to show kids educational content instead of regular ol' cartoons, well then good on them for coming back, I guess.

Some people use TV as a babysitter, and it's easier to do if you can choose what your kids get to watch.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Netflix is funding a new Magic School Bus because lots of parents use Netflix as a babysitter and they probably noticed a lot of kids were watching the original MSB.

As babysitters go, it's better than regular TV because there are no damned ads.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

Netflix is funding a new Magic School Bus because lots of parents use Netflix as a babysitter and they probably noticed a lot of kids were watching the original MSB.

As babysitters go, it's better than regular TV because there are no damned ads.

And less horrifying than:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuUDDllCsRE

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

TwoPair posted:

You're also forgetting that, besides being educational, Magic School Bus was just an awesome show. It's definitely a perfect mix of education and entertainment.

Since we'll have to accept the horrible fact that Lily Tomlin might not be the Friz again, who would be a good substitute? (:rimshot:) My guess? Maya Rudolph.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Sad to hear that Casey Kasem has passed away :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

achillesforever6 posted:

Sad to hear that Casey Kasem has passed away :(

Yeah, sad news but I figured it was a matter of time after that dust-up a few weeks back about how he'd suddenly gone missing (then not) and only his wife knew where he was or something. I had no idea he was in such poor health.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

raditts posted:

Yeah, sad news but I figured it was a matter of time after that dust-up a few weeks back about how he'd suddenly gone missing (then not) and only his wife knew where he was or something. I had no idea he was in such poor health.

I know. It really feels like his work on Mystery Inc. wasn't that long ago.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Cartoon Network is making a new Powerpuff Girls series for 2016.

Not too surprised about this, considering this year's special felt like a test run for new episodes. I liked the special, I'm curious to see if they'll use the same CG art style.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

HorseRenoir posted:

Cartoon Network is making a new Powerpuff Girls series for 2016.

Not too surprised about this, considering this year's special felt like a test run for new episodes. I liked the special, I'm curious to see if they'll use the same CG art style.
They don't say if Craig McCracken is involved and he didn't tweet about it :|

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

El Tortuga posted:

I know. It really feels like his work on Mystery Inc. wasn't that long ago.

That was Matthew Lillard

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gaunab posted:

That was Matthew Lillard
Yeah but his dad was Casey which is a nice casting gag.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Yep. And it seems like the Mystery Inc cast are the new regulars since they're all back for whatever new series is starting up. Of course, part of this is obvious, and that's Frank Welker as Fred. Since he's literally been the voice of Fred in every single piece of Scooby-Doo animation except for "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo". That is a fact that I find loving bonkers.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Frank Welker is loving old yo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

El Tortuga posted:

Yep. And it seems like the Mystery Inc cast are the new regulars since they're all back for whatever new series is starting up. Of course, part of this is obvious, and that's Frank Welker as Fred. Since he's literally been the voice of Fred in every single piece of Scooby-Doo animation except for "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo". That is a fact that I find loving bonkers.

Isn't he also Scooby?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

raditts posted:

Isn't he also Scooby?

Frank wasn't for a long time, but he's been doing it since Zombie Island, I think.

He's also only 68, which is much younger than I expected.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently CN is pondering if they should bring Courage the Cowardly Dog back and are looking for feedback on their site.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/cartoon-network-cartoon-forum/315136-new-courage-cowardly-dog-project-works-2.html#post4258078

https://www.facebook.com/StretchFilms

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/feedback/

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently CN is pondering if they should bring Courage the Cowardly Dog back and are looking for feedback on their site.

This could be nothing but good if the original people are behind it.
Kids need some new Courage to scare them a bit.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't think they need the original people to do it, just people that actually understand the show and keep it weird as gently caress while being on the edge or disturbing (and actually remember to make it silly too).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Remember Danger Mouse? Of course you do.

He's also coming back to TV with a brand new series.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/danger-mouse/30949/danger-mouse-returning-to-television
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27876300
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/17/danger-mouse-cbbc-revival_n_5501905.html

So let's see...Courage the Cowardly Dog (maybe), Magic School Bus, Sailor Moon, PPG, and now Danger Mouse... am I missing anyone?

Things look pretty decent for cartoons.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

But no Bucky O'Hare reboot. There's no justice in this world.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axleblaze posted:

I don't think they need the original people to do it, just people that actually understand the show and keep it weird as gently caress while being on the edge or disturbing (and actually remember to make it silly too).

Gotta mix in a few episodes like the one with the Bunny, the other one with the Hunchback, and of course the space squid one.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Last of the Starmakers is my favorite episode of anything ever

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Babe Magnet posted:

The Last of the Starmakers is my favorite episode of anything ever

That intro scene was loving heavy.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

gumball seems to get better with every episode.

Edit:

http://youtu.be/xRkh1iZFhWo

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 19, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://play.google.com/store/tv/show?id=Yn96dGPM5Dg&cdid=tvseason-b1-QxNH5O44&gdid=tvepisode-2MqcfC9Bfh4

I don't know if it's unaired, but the pilot for Clarence is up on Google Play for free. If you don't have an Android device but you DO have a Gmail account (which is your Google Account), you can still get the episode.

You will still have to put in your credit card, but you are not charged at all. Not even a $0.01 credit. It's pretty much the same as Apple's policy for free stuff if I'm not mistaken.

It also might be up on iTunes.

If you do get the episode via Google Play, you can watch it on YouTube as it's added to your account permanently and is accessible there.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That has a pretty solid 'gently caress it, let's do it live!' gag Uncle Grandpa I'll give you that.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sockser posted:

Frank wasn't for a long time, but he's been doing it since Zombie Island, I think.

He's also only 68, which is much younger than I expected.

I believe Scooby was done by Billy West in Zombie Island (who btw, made a HORRIBLE Shaggy, imo).

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo that Scooby Doo original CN movie came on today and it was just the loving worse.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

achillesforever6 posted:

I think Pup Named Scooby-Doo did that too.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

U.T. Raptor posted:

I think Pup Named Scooby-Doo did that too.
That show was way better than it had any right to be.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That show was way better than it had any right to be.

Sure about that?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Man, my loving DVR just refuses to record Clarence and it's really killing me.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Acquire Currency! posted:

Sure about that?
Red Herring will never not be funny to me.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Red Herring will never not be funny to me.

It's like, the best joke on the show! I always waited for him to show for a quick joke.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
A Pup Names Scooby Doo genuinely tried harder than any other Scooby Doo before it, making it all the more depressing that is still wasn't very good.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
A Pup Named Scooby Doo was awful. Even as a kid with zero critical capacity it and all the other kiddified versions of classic cartoons (aside from Muppet Babies and Tiny Toons) put me to sleep.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A Pup Named Scooby Doo was awful. Even as a kid with zero critical capacity it and all the other kiddified versions of classic cartoons (aside from Muppet Babies and Tiny Toons) put me to sleep.

That, and the Tom & Jerry Kids. Just...

Right, so when I was little, I would get parked in front of the TV, and I would pretty much watch the same channel for hours on end. I had a high tolerance for poo poo, based on my viewing practices and age. But I knew Tom & Jerry Kids and A Pup Named Scooby Doo were bad before I knew things could be bad. They just made me annoyed. What is this? Why is this so terrible? It's colorful, it's a cartoon--shouldn't it be good? Same thing happened with some of the more dire Hanna-Barbera blocks.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

At least a Pup Named Scooby Doo had a good theme song. That was enough to get me watching any awful cartoon back then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In its defense, it was the better half of the hour it aired as opposed to The Flintstone Kids.