Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Jack Bauer killed like 3 presidents. And his own dad.

1 term presidents...pussies. That's like a slap fight between Mike Tyson & Jimmy Carter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If you're like me and you loved the old My Year/World of Flops column, Nathan Rabin has a column at The Dissolve called Forgotbusters where he talks about movies that were the top-grossing films of their year yet failed to leave any lasting imprint on pop culture. It's pretty rad.

Awesaome, thanks. Their new column for 1 season wonders is ok. http://www.avclub.com/search?feature_types=one-season-wonders-weirdos-and-wannabes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watched the first episode of Girl Meets World and it's... something. It's probably just like other Disney shows I've not seen, but the opening sequence is especially nuts. Also makes me feel super old.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's a part of me that wants to watch Girl Meets World for old times sake but I mean, I know its not for me. Its a show for teenage girls and I'm not going to become one of those goons watching a show not meant at all for them and complaining the whole time like it should. Every tv show on the set doesn't owe itself to cater to me. Even if Cory and Topanga make the nostalgic part of me sad this isn't one of the ones that does.

I watched the opening. Just looks like Disney Channel to me. I'm guessing Boy Meets World would look similar to me if I went back and rewatched it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Watched the first episode of Girl Meets World and it's... something. It's probably just like other Disney shows I've not seen, but the opening sequence is especially nuts. Also makes me feel super old.

The fact that you're not saying "Oh God why did I do this it hurts so much" is interesting. Granted, it's possible that you meant to imply as much, but I might have to give it a try and start a pool on how long I can make it through.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DivisionPost posted:

The fact that you're not saying "Oh God why did I do this it hurts so much" is interesting.

I think I refrained from that because I know that it's not aimed at me in the slightest, and might be loved by it's audience. I can see they want kids and parents to watch it together, as there's a pretty big reference at the end of the episode that kids won't get at all. I can't imagine many parents will enjoy watching it though.

While Boy Meets World aired over here, it was on a station that I couldn't pick up so I didn't see huge amounts. My memory of the show has it feeling very different to the new one though, but naturally all kids shows have moved on.

I kind of felt like I was in a fever dream for most of it. The dialogue is just super weird to me as an adult, but I don't watch any kids shows that a lot of posters here are I to.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I mean, not that I expect it to be a legitimately good show, but what is the point of it if it didn't make some attempt to appeal to the people who grew up watching Boy Meets World?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

How decrepit is Mr. Feeny in 2014?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

IRQ posted:

How decrepit is Mr. Feeny in 2014?

I watched the episode, he is literally a ghost in his cameo.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

hcreight posted:

I watched the episode, he is literally a ghost in his cameo.

Now I gotta see this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hcreight posted:

I mean, not that I expect it to be a legitimately good show, but what is the point of it if it didn't make some attempt to appeal to the people who grew up watching Boy Meets World?

If you've ever seen a Disney Channel sitcom then you know that whoever watches that poo poo will literally watch anything. Throw in name recognition and nostalgia and you can only go up from there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're a creep you can watch the first episode for free on iTunes

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

If you've ever seen a Disney Channel sitcom then you know that whoever watches that poo poo will literally watch anything. Throw in name recognition and nostalgia and you can only go up from there.

I grew up watching Hey Dude and Salute Your Shorts, so far be it for me to throw stones at kids who watch the Boy Meets Girl revival.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

Now I gotta see this.

It's like a 5 second cameo. And yeah, the episode itself was pretty bad, in the vein of other live action Disney and Nickelodeon shows. They're not even being subtle about the fact that the titular character and her best friend are effectively female Cory and Shawn. I don't intend to watch any more of it. But that's fine, as people have already said, it's not meant to be for us.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Irish Joe posted:

I grew up watching Hey Dude and Salute Your Shorts, so far be it for me to throw stones at kids who watch the Boy Meets Girl revival.

Yeah, I mean I have tween age nieces and the poo poo they are watching is objectively better than 99% of what I had at their age. On every conceivable level. I wouldn't have the balls to make fun of their stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hcreight posted:

It's like a 5 second cameo. And yeah, the episode itself was pretty bad, in the vein of other live action Disney and Nickelodeon shows. They're not even being subtle about the fact that the titular character and her best friend are effectively female Cory and Shawn. I don't intend to watch any more of it. But that's fine, as people have already said, it's not meant to be for us.

My cousin has told me before that she really dreads watching those Disney shows with her daughter because they are excruciating to sit through. She said the acting and writing are pretty much bottom of the barrel stuff and hit you over the head with the lessons of the story in a way that would make any adult go insane watching them. I never watched the original show but as far as I know it was still geared toward a general audience and not a strictly child audience like the Disney stuff. So that may be why all of you are not liking the new version. Remember the old show aired on broadcast TV in primetime so the new one would be trying to get completely different demographics I'm guessing.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I watched it. It wasn`t terrible. For it`s demographic, I think it`s ok.

Calling him a ghost is incredibly misleading.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

That was mostly a joke in response to IRQ.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Really, though, the oppressive laugh track is the only truly objectionable part of Disney's live-action output.

I mean, I love a good rape joke as much as the next guy, but the gales of childrens' laughter afterward just makes it weird.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

Really, though, the oppressive laugh track is the only truly objectionable part of Disney's live-action output.

I mean, I love a good rape joke as much as the next guy, but the gales of childrens' laughter afterward just makes it weird.

No, no, I don't think that was a rape joke. The theme is Christmas and she said, "Okay, who was trying to wrap me?". Nevertheless, it wasn't even moderately funny and the laugh track really does make it weird.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Irish Joe posted:

Speaking of Hey Dude:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/11/showbiz/hey-dude-reunion-25th-anniversary/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

haha

quote:

"I bought the DVDs and showed them to my children, but their eyes glazed over," recalls Galkin. "They did not think it was funny."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Somebody get on the Joe Torres mystery and track him down.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Man you guys are watching a lot of children's shows.

I mean I watch last airbender stuff so i have no legs to stand on though.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Fooz posted:

Man you guys are watching a lot of children's shows.

I mean I watch last airbender stuff so i have no legs to stand on though.

Last Airbender is pretty different from a Disney sitcom but that's neither here nor there. A few years ago I watched a lot of The Suite Life on Deck and liked it a good bit.

Kraps fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 15, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yo I have to post about this because if I don't make a record of this, somewhere, I won't believe it actually happened

So I was in the gym shower after working out and a dude walked in with his loving chest hair shaved into the shape of a loving cross

Already a great story but not the best part

The best part was this dude connected his chest-cross to his pubic hair (which honestly seems a bit sacrilegious to me but w/e)

His pubic hair was completely unshaved

So essentially this dude made a giant loving arrow pointing straight to his cock and balls, and if there was ever a more succinct metaphor for the role of religion in society I have not seen it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Yo I have to post about this because if I don't make a record of this, somewhere, I won't believe it actually happened

So I was in the gym shower after working out and a dude walked in with his loving chest hair shaved into the shape of a loving cross

Already a great story but not the best part

The best part was this dude connected his chest-cross to his pubic hair (which honestly seems a bit sacrilegious to me but w/e)

His pubic hair was completely unshaved

So essentially this dude made a giant loving arrow pointing straight to his cock and balls, and if there was ever a more succinct metaphor for the role of religion in society I have not seen it

I love everything.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of grown adults watching shows for children, season 2 of Gravity Falls starts August 1st. Hopefully this time it won't take them over a year to air a single 20-episode season.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I um

So how about that Orphan Black?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hcreight posted:

I um

gently caress, I never watch it live, and I just know that one day it's going to bite me in the rear end. If that's your reaction, it sounds like that day has come.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

My cousin has told me before that she really dreads watching those Disney shows with her daughter because they are excruciating to sit through. She said the acting and writing are pretty much bottom of the barrel stuff and hit you over the head with the lessons of the story in a way that would make any adult go insane watching them.

I dunno, I've been guilty of watching a random episode of Drake and Josh from time to time. I mean, the jokes are phoned in as all hell, and the parent characters don't seem like real people, but instead constructs assembled by some computer algorithm that is like 90% of the way of making a real human being, but I've been known to chuckle while Drake and Josh go to great lengths to sabotage their little poo poo of a sister's salsa recipe or whatever is going on that week.

I wouldn't touch anything like iCarly or Victorious or any of that with a 25 foot pole though. Talk about creepy adult audiences ruining it for normal people, Bronies ain't got poo poo on the adult male audience of Nickelodeon teen girl shows.

[Edit: gently caress the Bronie documentary, I want a doc about the creeps that post on the sordid depths of poo poo like /r/MirandaCroscrove (god I hope that isn't a real subr--oh, who am I kidding, :reddit:) and how they were arrested and sent to jail and all that.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 15, 2014

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

hcreight posted:

I um

A lesser show would have had that as the season finale.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lelandjs posted:

I dunno, I've been guilty of watching a random episode of Drake and Josh from time to time. I mean, the jokes are phoned in as all hell, and the parent characters don't seem like real people, but instead constructs assembled by some computer algorithm that is like 90% of the way of making a real human being, but I've been known to chuckle while Drake and Josh go to great lengths to sabotage their little poo poo of a sister's salsa recipe or whatever is going on that week.

I wouldn't touch anything like iCarly or Victorious or any of that with a 25 foot pole though. Talk about creepy adult audiences ruining it for normal people, Bronies ain't got poo poo on the adult male audience of Nickelodeon teen girl shows.

[Edit: gently caress the Bronie documentary, I want a doc about the creeps that post on the sordid depths of poo poo like /r/MirandaCroscrove (god I hope that isn't a real subr--oh, who am I kidding, :reddit:) and how they were arrested and sent to jail and all that.]

Dan Schneider, the guy behind live-action Nickelodeon sitcoms since Keenan and Kel, is such a creepy loving weirdo that I wouldn't be surprised if tales of Bryan Singer-level :pedo: debauchery were released tomorrow.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Dan Schneider, the guy behind live-action Nickelodeon sitcoms since Keenan and Kel, is such a creepy loving weirdo that I wouldn't be surprised if tales of Bryan Singer-level :pedo: debauchery were released tomorrow.

So

uh

:staredog:

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

...of SCIENCE! posted:

So that's what Dennis Blunden is up to. Time to hit up google and find out where Arvid went.

If you guessed "nowhere," you are correct.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The photo next to the word "cretin" in the Oxford English Dictionary.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

...of SCIENCE! posted:

THAT'S what David Archuleta is up to these days? Huh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jon Benjamin has a smallish cameo in 22 Jump Street as the college football coach and I just read an interview with Lord & Miller where they admit that yes, they cast him in that part because of Home Movies.

Edit:
Also the Lucas Brothers are in it and I was only aware of them from their cartoon so I did not realize that yes, they actually look like that in real life.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 15, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this? posted:

Jon Benjamin has a smallish cameo in 22 Jump Street as the college football coach and I just read an interview with Lord & Miller where they admit that yes, they cast him in that part because of Home Movies.
Hahaha that's awesome. I had a hunch that that's why he was in there but I wasn't sure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

muscles like this? posted:

Also the Lucas Brothers are in it and I was only aware of them from their cartoon so I did not realize that yes, they actually look like that in real life.

They also have a show that lasts a few minutes per episode up on CC.com. That's awesome they're in 22JS, the Lucas Brothers rule.

• Locked thread