Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yeah, Firefly, Deadshot, and Deathstroke were all amazing boss fights in AO. Even the Bane fights weren't completely terrible, though still nothing too amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Man you guys are hatin' all over Origins. I never expected that response after I played it. Unless you're really into nitpicking things you will enjoy Origins. I don't care if I don't get Disarm and Destroy at whatever time, I'm reading you guys complain about it and I don't even remember it being an issue that I noticed. Guys with guns can be dealt with in other ways than "Press button to deal with gun guys"

It's not just that, It's that the room right next to the dude you get the Disarm & Destroy combo, has a chance of completely loving up your save by having everything disappear, turning everything into a black void.

Or that time in the underground sewers in the GCPD where i somehow phased into a wall after using a ladder.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I only played through the game once, but I remember actually liking the Clayface fight. I liked AC's bosses in general, really.

I still have yet to finish Arkham Origins sincie the game just feels so... boring to me. I already played this game before in AC, and it was a lot more enjoyable there. I end up getting annoyed at the smallest of things and I just stop playing as soon as I start up the file. Last thing I remember doing was being completely unable to find a control tower to destroy for the Batwing to drop me off in that area whenever.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Aw, man, I got a new computer and when I went and tried to continue my Arkham City New Game+ file from my old computer...none of the story missions existed anymore! Like...I can do side missions 'til the cows come home, but I can't progress the story at all. Is there any way to re-start a New Game+ from the beginning again without having to open up a new save slot?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Man you guys are hatin' all over Origins. I never expected that response after I played it. Unless you're really into nitpicking things you will enjoy Origins. I don't care if I don't get Disarm and Destroy at whatever time, I'm reading you guys complain about it and I don't even remember it being an issue that I noticed. Guys with guns can be dealt with in other ways than "Press button to deal with gun guys"

In addition to a number of writing and game design complaints we've litigated extensively upthread, they never fixed a variety of bugs in the game, especially on its PC build. I and some other players experience problems with the freeflow combat (on any difficulty) that render loud combat supremely frustrating, and most of the combat challenges unplayable.

Phylodox posted:

Aw, man, I got a new computer and when I went and tried to continue my Arkham City New Game+ file from my old computer...none of the story missions existed anymore! Like...I can do side missions 'til the cows come home, but I can't progress the story at all. Is there any way to re-start a New Game+ from the beginning again without having to open up a new save slot?

Are you sure you're not just at a point in the story where there aren't any instructions on where to go next?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

Are you sure you're not just at a point in the story where there aren't any instructions on where to go next?

I started the game up on my new computer, it was in the middle of the bit where Catwoman is infiltrating the museum to get her poo poo back from Two-Face, I finished that mission and switched back to Batman and...nothing. Was that the end of the game? I mean, I know I didn't get that far on my New Game+, it's just...baffling.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
That sounds like you beat the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I started the game up on my new computer, it was in the middle of the bit where Catwoman is infiltrating the museum to get her poo poo back from Two-Face, I finished that mission and switched back to Batman and...nothing. Was that the end of the game? I mean, I know I didn't get that far on my New Game+, it's just...baffling.

That scene is literally at the end of the game. So yes, you beat the game.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I...guess that's an okay glitch. I mean...I know I didn't beat the game on New Game+, so...oh, well.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Batman figured out what Agenda X was without having to get sidetracked by a billion things. It definitely made the AC story better in that case.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
What DLC is worth getting for AO? Is there story DLC besides the Mr. Freeze one?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

What DLC is worth getting for AO? Is there story DLC besides the Mr. Freeze one?

Initiation gets you an extra challenge map character and some okay challenge maps. Mr. Freeze is the only story DLC. The costume DLC is worthless as poo poo unless you really want a specific costume

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I have no idea where this weird-rear end opinion that the Deathstroke fight is good came from, considering it gives you no indication what to do and plays like a lovely fighting game.

Also it just reuses animations from the Ras Al Ghul fight REALLY shamelessly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I have no idea where this weird-rear end opinion that the Deathstroke fight is good came from, considering it gives you no indication what to do and plays like a lovely fighting game.

Also it just reuses animations from the Ras Al Ghul fight REALLY shamelessly.

I have literally no idea how you can say it doesn't tell you what to do. If anything it tells you too much of what to do. Counter-markers pop up, a giant "COUNTER" icon appears when you have to counter him during his weird-timing attack, it flat-out tells you what you need to do. It also plays absolutely nothing like a fighting game. It's more of a trumped-up version of the Martial Artist fights later on.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 15, 2014

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
You mean the fight where he'll counter your attacks with no pattern or warning unless you're aware of the quickfire batclaw trick?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

You mean the fight where he'll counter your attacks with no pattern or warning unless you're aware of the quickfire batclaw trick?

You do know he has attacks where the counter is delayed, right? If he counters your attack you can re-counter it if you wait for the right moment.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ImpAtom posted:

You do know he has attacks where the counter is delayed, right? If he counters your attack you can re-counter it if you wait for the right moment.

To double down on this, the game also explicitly tells you it both during the fight, before the fight, and in game over tooltip screens from the fight. While there are some complaints to be leveled against it in terms of its potential mechanical simplicity, it was the strongest part of the game from a design perspective by a fairly long shot.

vvvvv I don't think this is the case at all! The punishment for hitting counter early, while it functions OK in the Slade fight, was a source of confusion for many- and the altered windows for input in other combat settings were one of the core problems with how combat functioned in AO. I spent a long time beating my head on Slade before I got the counter timing-and a lot of it was still luck.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 15, 2014

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Sometimes people just need to admit when they're loving bad at a game.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I definitely find the AO control complaints odd because I played the game on hard right off the bat (heh), on PC, and never had any issues with counter timing despite having played AA and AC before. I thought the Deathstroke fight was fun but didn't find it particularly mystifying and beat it on the first go. While I can accept that there are some legitimate complains about AO, I don't think it's fair to lay all the blame on the game when you don't do well. Perhaps the control timings are not identical to previous games, but they are internally consistent (as in the game controls the same throughout) so it's just a matter of adjusting if anything. That's no different from transitioning to timing adjustments in Dark Souls -> Dark Souls 2.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

bonds0097 posted:

I definitely find the AO control complaints odd because I played the game on hard right off the bat (heh), on PC, and never had any issues with counter timing despite having played AA and AC before. I thought the Deathstroke fight was fun but didn't find it particularly mystifying and beat it on the first go. While I can accept that there are some legitimate complains about AO, I don't think it's fair to lay all the blame on the game when you don't do well. Perhaps the control timings are not identical to previous games, but they are internally consistent (as in the game controls the same throughout) so it's just a matter of adjusting if anything. That's no different from transitioning to timing adjustments in Dark Souls -> Dark Souls 2.

It appears to be an honest-to-goodness bug effecting some PC rigs, possibly related to how rendering priorities are set up. It may just be attribution bias, but it seems noticeably worse in the city at large than in interior spaces or challenge rooms.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I had a ton of issues with combat timing in AO on my PC. Batman would do things like punch and miss the guy directly in front of him, or do the counter animation and still get hit in the head with a lead pipe. That being said, it was never more of an issue than some mild frustration that I didn't get a huge perfect free flow combo.

I haven't had any off those issues at all in any of the combat challenge maps though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Discendo Vox posted:

It appears to be an honest-to-goodness bug effecting some PC rigs, possibly related to how rendering priorities are set up. It may just be attribution bias, but it seems noticeably worse in the city at large than in interior spaces or challenge rooms.
The difficulty setting is for story mode only. I'm assuming most people who played AA and AC set it to hard off the bat.

If you do challenge rooms there is no "omg teleporting enemies" bullshit because the aggression modifier is not enabled unless you turn it on in a custom game or play a campaign with it. There are exactly the same behaviours that occur when you play the story/free roam on hard. So one can naturally assume that's the real difference in story mode from normal to hard, which is the real cause of certain issues with (specifically) combat. Not all of them, but a good portion of them.

I also have never experienced any issues with counter timings that drastically changed enough to be noticed from AC to AO, unless we are counting that specific modifier being on, in which case, it makes AO challenge rooms act like the rest of AO's story mode on hard. Well, I guess the camera, or just how it behaves in certain combat rooms is kinda BS.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mogomra posted:

I had a ton of issues with combat timing in AO on my PC. Batman would do things like punch and miss the guy directly in front of him, or do the counter animation and still get hit in the head with a lead pipe. That being said, it was never more of an issue than some mild frustration that I didn't get a huge perfect free flow combo.

I haven't had any off those issues at all in any of the combat challenge maps though.

I had pretty much the exact same issue, down to it playing far better in the challenge maps and Cold, Cold Heart than in the campaign. It has to be some weird PC bug, because my friend who has it on the WiiU didn't have any problems with the combat whatsoever (though that seemed to be the most stable and bug-free version of the game anyway? He was super surprised to hear about all the bugs since they didn't seem to affect his version at all, and I've never heard a complaint about bugs from that version).

Edit: I played on Normal, by the way.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I was disappointed Cold, Cold Heart didn't have any Challenge Maps. A lot of the areas in the DLC were pretty amazing to look at.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Sober posted:

The difficulty setting is for story mode only. I'm assuming most people who played AA and AC set it to hard off the bat.

If you do challenge rooms there is no "omg teleporting enemies" bullshit because the aggression modifier is not enabled unless you turn it on in a custom game or play a campaign with it. There are exactly the same behaviours that occur when you play the story/free roam on hard. So one can naturally assume that's the real difference in story mode from normal to hard, which is the real cause of certain issues with (specifically) combat. Not all of them, but a good portion of them.

I also have never experienced any issues with counter timings that drastically changed enough to be noticed from AC to AO, unless we are counting that specific modifier being on, in which case, it makes AO challenge rooms act like the rest of AO's story mode on hard. Well, I guess the camera, or just how it behaves in certain combat rooms is kinda BS.

Not what I'm referring to, although the aggression mods were a bad decision to include.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
My timing issues definitely aren't a PC bug, since I was playing on a PS3. I dunno, to me it seems that the timing was honestly hosed, to the point where I thought maybe it was just me being rusty at Batman games. I decided to play through Asylum again... and not only does it further reinforce my belief that counter timing was tightened, but I think Origins may have actually made me way better at Asylum. I'm about halfway through the game now, and I'm only just considering my first health upgrade. Usually I've gotten at least two by now. It's amazing what learning the critical timing can do. Maybe part of it is that Asylum doesn't offer much variety in enemy types, especially early in the game when all you have to contend with are normal thugs, gun thugs, and knife thugs. Origins loves throwing at least one "special" attacker per medium-sized encounter in, which is both a blessing and a curse.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Having just finished AO for the first time this weekend and now just going around collecting Riddler poo poo, I will say that the lack of D&D until the post game is some bullshit. Having that for the last few big fights of the game would've made things so much more tolerable for me. Just the sheer number of shield and knife assholes makes that skill seem necessary to me.

Also collecting Riddler stuff seems really boring this time around, maybe because it's the 3rd time doing pretty much the exact same thing. And tracking them down in buildings is such a colossal pain in the rear end I almost don't even want to bother.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are like four things you can do to any enemy who has a shield or knife beyond D&Ding them. Heck, shield enemies give you invincibility frames on aerial attack.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The Duke posted:

Also collecting Riddler stuff seems really boring this time around, maybe because it's the 3rd time doing pretty much the exact same thing. And tracking them down in buildings is such a colossal pain in the rear end I almost don't even want to bother.

The fact that interiors in AO are linear tunnels, mostly with one end sealed, makes things so much worse.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Discendo Vox posted:

The fact that interiors in AO are linear tunnels, mostly with one end sealed, makes things so much worse.

Maybe I missed something, but after you clear out an interior and get to the end of the map, is there no way to leave besides going back the way you came? I just cleared out that big hotel on the south side of the map and couldn't find a way out because the door you go through to confront Joker was locked. Pretty drat irritating.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
That's entirely correct. Several of the interiors are like this, although the hotel is especially egregious.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Yeah, the level design in Arkham Origins really falls flat. Having been replaying Asylum, there's a TON of care that went into the level design, although I think that's mostly because Asylum is basically Batman the Dungeon Crawler, and if your dungeon crawl has bad level design why even bother. While City's level design wasn't as good, it was still really drat good and allowed for some fun exploration. Origins really phoned it in, which is baffling considering half the locations you visit were essentially the same places from City.

It's still worth playing Origins for the story, but I still say it would have worked better as a comic book than a video game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Any misgivings about the game are forgiven by the massive beatdown you perform at the end. Fact. :colbert:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Discendo Vox posted:

That's entirely correct. Several of the interiors are like this, although the hotel is especially egregious.

This seems so weird since there's open city around almost every place anyway. The more I read about Origins the more glad I am to have skipped it until it's on PS+ or whatever.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

poptart_fairy posted:

Any misgivings about the game are forgiven by the massive beatdown you perform at the end. Fact. :colbert:

I have to reset the game every time I get to that beatdown because the counter always fails and Joker cuts up Batman like a holiday ham. :colbert:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Question: I'm trying to platinum trophy Arkham Asylum because I'm a shameless filthy trophy whore who wants my platinums to finally read in double digits. All I have left to do is get medals in challenge stages (and 100% the game obviously). Do medals in DLC stages count, or does the game only really track in-game stuff?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Only in-game stuff.

RushJet
Aug 29, 2013

Barfk! Barfk!
:goatdrugs:
It sucks that the PC version of Arkham City has no leader boards for the challenge maps

:iiam:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I think the Blackgate escapees Most Wanted in Origins is bugged. From what I've gathered, you're supposed to get a call from Gordon after finishing the story, doing six case files and stopping six crimes in progress, but even though I've done all that stuff I'm still not getting the call and the markers aren't showing up on the map either. :saddowns:

Speaking of bugs, here's Batman failing to get over some chest-high obstacles:

He just sits there and doesn't want to cross that massive gap between the barriers. Had to drop down between them and walk over those garbage bags on the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

OH NO MAN posted:

I think the Blackgate escapees Most Wanted in Origins is bugged. From what I've gathered, you're supposed to get a call from Gordon after finishing the story, doing six case files and stopping six crimes in progress, but even though I've done all that stuff I'm still not getting the call and the markers aren't showing up on the map either. :saddowns:

Speaking of bugs, here's Batman failing to get over some chest-high obstacles:

He just sits there and doesn't want to cross that massive gap between the barriers. Had to drop down between them and walk over those garbage bags on the right.

I didn't get the call from Gordon till I did all of the case files, so maybe your info is wrong.

• Locked thread