Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

Thats probably because the only reason to go to westside is a companion quest.

And i hate you for not helping arcade until your third playthrough.

You monster.
There's also some NCR sidequests in that area but yeah that area can be a little anemic for reasons to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Mean Sonovabitch is reason enough to visit westside. There's some decent quests there otherwise too for such a small place. The office park on the other hand? I had no loving clue about that place until a couple hundred hours sunk into the game.

And I love Arcade but I don't know if you can say you really ever "help" the guy. He ends up at least somewhat unhappy in every single ending, that poor idealistic bastard. :unsmith:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

There's also some NCR sidequests in that area but yeah that area can be a little anemic for reasons to be there.

And they're fairly minor NCR sidequests at that. you basically have to go talking/opening/reading everything in McCarran to find it. Arcade's quest directly goes there, and since he's the best (human) companion, why wouldn't you do his quest?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Der Kyhe posted:

I also managed to put 100+ h into the game before finding "the third part of the city", Westside and sewersystem.

... There's a sewer system?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Open world games in general seem to have a problem with in-game economies. Even Just Cause 2, which avoids a lot of bullshit that other open-world games fall to, still has weapon drops and vehicle deliveries that cost more than most missions pay out.

The cache (money) in Saints Row IV is really annoying because of how little of it you get compared with what upgrades cost. Experience points (unlocking higher level upgrades) and clusters (upgrading super powers) are fine, but there are a lot of weapons and they're all basically useless without upgrades, so if you want to try out a variety of them (which you do) then you're stuck waiting for cache.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

LoonShia posted:

Yup, and its not exactly a small one either: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/New_Vegas_sewers

Has an entire subculture of prospectors and a fight club going on, while connecting the friendly NPC-occupied areas of New Vegas (Freeside, Westside, Office Park, Caravan centre and clinic and NCR Farms) together.

...Of which most of the people miss most of them since it is absolutely possible to miss an entire city block/region with the map being what it is.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Vampire Bloodlines's fan-patch gets updated a dozen times a year, to help fix the bugs made because the product was rushed. It's too bad no patch or mod can stop the last third of gameplay being utter poo poo. I know a lot of games stumble a bit near the end, but I don't know any games outside this and System Shock 2 where the last act is so inexorably bad.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Jun 15, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

LoonShia posted:

You have sex down there. For some reason.
Forgive me, Fisto. :qq:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Vampire Bloodlines's fan-patch gets updated a dozen times a year, to help fix the bugs made because the product was rushed. It's too bad no patch or mod can stop the last third of gameplay being utter poo poo. I know a lot of games stumble a bit near the end, but I don't know any games outside System Shock 2 where the last act is so inexorably painful.

Bioshock's last third is pretty terrible.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

scarycave posted:

You have sex down there. For some reason.
Forgive me, Fisto. :qq:

Fisto is my one-and-only.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

LoonShia posted:

There's a unique lead pipe called The Humble Cudgel!

Lord Lambeth posted:

The funny thing about Westside and North Vegas is that there's not a lot sending you there but once you're there there's actually a decent amount to do. Like Westside has some colourful characters, a brothel and a little farming community and food market, and North Vegas has this cool urban western feel with the locals who are proud people who don't need no NCR, and they're being menaced by people literally called Squatter Bill and Greasy Johnny.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

2house2fly posted:

The funny thing about Westside and North Vegas is that there's not a lot sending you there but once you're there there's actually a decent amount to do. Like Westside has some colourful characters, a brothel and a little farming community and food market, and North Vegas has this cool urban western feel with the locals who are proud people who don't need no NCR, and they're being menaced by people literally called Squatter Bill and Greasy Johnny.

That makes me think of Markarth in Skyrim. The Reach is a beautiful part of the world, there's tons of cool caves and dungeons, Forsworn are fun enemies to fight, but there is gently caress-all bringing you out that way compared to Riften or Windhelm or even stupid lovely Winterhold.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

The cache (money) in Saints Row IV is really annoying because of how little of it you get compared with what upgrades cost. Experience points (unlocking higher level upgrades) and clusters (upgrading super powers) are fine, but there are a lot of weapons and they're all basically useless without upgrades, so if you want to try out a variety of them (which you do) then you're stuck waiting for cache.

Ammo is the bit of it that throws me, because it's one of the few real constraints on you and there aren't any pickups for it- you have to go and recharge everything.

Fortunately there is the auto-cache generation upgrade.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Movies has a system for the popularity of genres that fluctuates in the decades, decided by news events that change the public mood. These are basically comedy-tweaked versions of real news events, like the microchip age, home video, the first Iraq war, etc. In terms of just scripting movies it has no real effect- you can make a "Romance" that's entirely fight scenes with robots- but certain stars work better in certain genres. Sci-fi movies become popular in the late 70s, that sort of thing.

But there are a number of problems. Horror rarely gets any boost, and is actively penalized in at least a couple of periods where it historically did kinda well (the mid-to-late 60s when Hammer was going strong and there was still a bit of a "monster" craze, the late 80s/early 90s when Gothic horror started to infiltrated the market). It's also a little confusing as to when these events go into effect, because you get the news bulletin well before meeting the icon on your timeline. (It also seems to be effected by the movies you yourself make, in that the public will get tired if you do too much of one thing in a row.)

It's an interesting mechanic but it really needed tweaking.

Then there are Entourages. Once the stars get to a certain level they want assistants hanging around them to boost their egos. You generally take these from other departments. Which is a problem because you still need crews and extras and builders and janitors and so forth. The game is really bad at providing enough personnel to cover your needs, you can only hire new people when they stand in line at your buildings. Play it wrong and you start running short of builders to maintain the lot, janitors to pick up trash, etc. It creates a huge mid-game hump because it's hard to push stars up without entourages, but it's really hard to find people to fill those roles.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ammo is the bit of it that throws me, because it's one of the few real constraints on you and there aren't any pickups for it- you have to go and recharge everything.

Fortunately there is the auto-cache generation upgrade.

Why are you guys using guns? You have super powers. I never remember ammo ever being a concern in that game. Because literal super powers.

And the dubstep gun. Why arent you using the dubstep gun?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

SpookyLizard posted:

Why are you guys using guns? You have super powers. I never remember ammo ever being a concern in that game. Because literal super powers.

Well it does take a bit of time before your powers get to the right level- recharge time on my energy blasts is still enough that I can't just spam it.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
As cool as the dubstep gun is, it's really not that great a weapon. :smith:

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Only until you've reached a point where you're the walking personification of Mass Effect cut scene powers and have upgraded the dubstep gun for fast recharge and explosive wubs.

Then it's a great, great, GREAT weapon.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sardonik posted:

As cool as the dubstep gun is, it's really not that great a weapon. :smith:

I've basically beaten the game using only the dubstep gun, so you're wrong. Explosive wubs cure all faults.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Worst thing about SR4 is that you can't fire your weapons while in mid-air. That and that Death From Above is kinda redundant when you can do Stomp in mid-air. I know that DFA can clear the area if you do it high enough, but why not just make that a secondary effect for Stomp?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Action Tortoise posted:

Worst thing about SR4 is that you can't fire your weapons while in mid-air. That and that Death From Above is kinda redundant when you can do Stomp in mid-air. I know that DFA can clear the area if you do it high enough, but why not just make that a secondary effect for Stomp?

Being able to target the ground with DFA was really useful, both for platforming/collecting and for attacks. If anything I would have swapped DFA and Stomp in the order that you unlock things because I was mad when I spent so much time overshooting jumps and missing stomps while collecting items and unlocking things only to get the power that let me avoid that once I no longer needed it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

I like using all the cool weapons; Dubstep gun is just one of many. As well as the awesome stuff like the black-hole gun, the abduction gun, the knife gun, etc. even the more "normal" weapons are pretty awesome. Dual-wielding tommy guns with acid bullets, pistols with explosive bullets you can use to juggle people in the air, the shotgun that sends cars flying... I never had any problem with ammunition, but absolutely none of the weapons is worth using without upgrading.

Action Tortoise posted:

The last two powers, DFA and shield, are obviously just upgrades for existing powers (stomp and sprint) and I've never understood why they're treated as separate like that. But the powers in general, although fun, are just slightly irritating in several ways. There's the no guns in mid-air thing you mention, there's the fact that super sprint makes it kind of difficult to enter vehicles or do super-attacks because you just run into things and send them flying (especially with the tornado upgrade), the cooldown timers on the blast and stomp powers are annoyingly long, it's impossible to do small jumps, like to just clear a small fence or fallen object, and having to switch to a power before using it is irritating. I'd have it like Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, with each power assigned to a different key or button rather than having a single button for "use currently selected power".

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Playing on a keyboard requires you to do quite a bit of finger gymnastics unless you spend a good while rebinding the keys.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Fisto is my one-and-only.

He showed me what love is. To my rectum.
Kind of wish FO3 had more of those silly moments like this.

The republic of Dave was pretty great though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

scarycave posted:

He showed me what love is. To my rectum.
Kind of wish FO3 had more of those silly moments like this.

The republic of Dave was pretty great though.

There was that one Vault, where all the inhabitants were all called Gary.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Tiggum posted:

I like using all the cool weapons; Dubstep gun is just one of many. As well as the awesome stuff like the black-hole gun, the abduction gun, the knife gun, etc. even the more "normal" weapons are pretty awesome. Dual-wielding tommy guns with acid bullets, pistols with explosive bullets you can use to juggle people in the air, the shotgun that sends cars flying... I never had any problem with ammunition, but absolutely none of the weapons is worth using without upgrading.

The last two powers, DFA and shield, are obviously just upgrades for existing powers (stomp and sprint) and I've never understood why they're treated as separate like that. But the powers in general, although fun, are just slightly irritating in several ways. There's the no guns in mid-air thing you mention, there's the fact that super sprint makes it kind of difficult to enter vehicles or do super-attacks because you just run into things and send them flying (especially with the tornado upgrade), the cooldown timers on the blast and stomp powers are annoyingly long, it's impossible to do small jumps, like to just clear a small fence or fallen object, and having to switch to a power before using it is irritating. I'd have it like Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, with each power assigned to a different key or button rather than having a single button for "use currently selected power".

What would have worked for Sprint is if you could toggle that ability on and off. That way you can still tear through the streets like a hurricane and be able to hijack cars when you just wanna cruise around the city.

The other thing I didn't like was how the alerts spike from cops to aliens after like two levels. It should either go gang members (a random pool between all the gangs from past games) > cops > aliens or cops > gangs > aliens.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

The other thing I didn't like was how the alerts spike from cops to aliens after like two levels. It should either go gang members (a random pool between all the gangs from past games) > cops > aliens or cops > gangs > aliens.
My ideal version of the game would have had different amalgamations of various gangs from past games in different locations around the city and aliens only showing up at notoriety level 4, and no wardens outside of scripted events. Like, maybe the eastern island is patrolled by Carnales, Brotherhood and Morningstar and at level 3 they're joined by the cops, then at level four all antagonists turn into aliens, and aliens in flying vehicles, marauders and murderbots only show up at level 5. You could have special zones, like, Arapice Island is still full of zombies and the island where the Saints' penthouse used to be has FBI and STAG instead of gangs and cops.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

Tiggum posted:

My ideal version of the game would have had different amalgamations of various gangs from past games in different locations around the city and aliens only showing up at notoriety level 4, and no wardens outside of scripted events. Like, maybe the eastern island is patrolled by Carnales, Brotherhood and Morningstar and at level 3 they're joined by the cops, then at level four all antagonists turn into aliens, and aliens in flying vehicles, marauders and murderbots only show up at level 5. You could have special zones, like, Arapice Island is still full of zombies and the island where the Saints' penthouse used to be has FBI and STAG instead of gangs and cops.

There is a mod that does almost exactly this, and it's excellent: http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/npc-behaviour-and-spawn-mod.5234/

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's an interesting mechanic but it really needed tweaking.

The Movies in general can be summed up like this. The idea and mechanics are pretty good, but babysitting the actors and their moods/desires was one of those things that constantly sapped my will to play. Because you can't just make one actor happy, because if you do that all the others will be jealous, etc etc.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Then there are Entourages. Once the stars get to a certain level they want assistants hanging around them to boost their egos. You generally take these from other departments. Which is a problem because you still need crews and extras and builders and janitors and so forth. The game is really bad at providing enough personnel to cover your needs, you can only hire new people when they stand in line at your buildings. Play it wrong and you start running short of builders to maintain the lot, janitors to pick up trash, etc. It creates a huge mid-game hump because it's hard to push stars up without entourages, but it's really hard to find people to fill those roles.

This is so annoying that whenever I get the urge to play The Movies, I always download and install The Employees Mod, because it ensures a massive swarm of people at each hiring building.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

LoonShia posted:

There was that one Vault, where all the inhabitants were all called Gary.

Yeah, that too. The vaults were really some of the best places in the games - except for the first two.
Those loving Raiders at the vault with the squatters. :argh:

I really like the whole Vault Tech aspect of the Fallout lore and its kind of a shame that its usually pushed to the side for some political grey vs grey vs Cesar/Enclave thing. I honestly could really care less for the whole power struggle thing between factions I'd rather just explore super hosed up places.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I would've really liked for the Wardens to be either new gangs or take on the personas of the old gang/bosses and/or an amalgamation of both. You'd alternate between doing missions to free your lieutenants, and then do missions to defeat the various gangs and the wardens to get more super powers, find out where your dudes are, and free them, etc etc. It would be much more fitting for the Boss to be tortured by the horrible poo poo that happened, and their past failures to bite them in rear end, or for their successes to be like 'nope that didn't happen.'

Only for those same things to be sodomized with a hadoken and beat to death with their own, weaponized, genitalia.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

I would've really liked for the Wardens to be either new gangs or take on the personas of the old gang/bosses and/or an amalgamation of both.

The wardens are really the one thing in the game that I think didn't work at all, in both a gameplay and a story sense. In gameplay they're tedious and don't even present a real challenge. Even on the highest difficulty they're hard to beat maybe the first couple of times you see them, but after that you've upgraded enough to be able to blow them away with ease. In story terms, Zinyak tells them "The world is yours to toy with. Ravage it, indulge in your basest desire, it makes no difference to me... just leave the prisoner alive." but literally the only thing they do is try to kill you.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

The Movies in general can be summed up like this. The idea and mechanics are pretty good, but babysitting the actors and their moods/desires was one of those things that constantly sapped my will to play. Because you can't just make one actor happy, because if you do that all the others will be jealous, etc etc.

This is so annoying that whenever I get the urge to play The Movies, I always download and install The Employees Mod, because it ensures a massive swarm of people at each hiring building.

Ooh, thanks for this!

I'm playing through it a second time just to see if I can not be totally overwhelmed the way I was at first, and I'm doing slightly better, but for the most part I'm in it for Sandbox.

It's really very much a Lionhead game in that its reach vastly exceeds its grasp, but what it accomplishes is still pretty fun. I'm disappointed nobody has tried to really follow up with a slicker version of the same premise.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

On some occasions the map is really useless and does not give any sense of scale or access direction. On most places, I found the backdoor first and had to circle around looking for open doors.

I also managed to put 100+ h into the game before finding "the third part of the city", Westside and sewersystem.

Westside I found on playthrough one, but I just discovered North Vegas Square.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I am playing through Anarchanox for the first time and it is an amazing experience, however, the inability to change out party members without going back to a specific spot on a single planet, is not. :argh:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I finally got a WiiU, and I'm enjoying playing WW, but I'm a little disappointed that they didn't implement the ability to write nots on your map like PH did. There's a bunch of interesting facts that the Fishmen tell you, and I always forget them but I refuse to keep a pile of bait just to hear whatever funny or useful thing they have to say again.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

The hitching and jerkiness of Telltale's games like The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us after you make a conversation decision and/or when the screen transitions. They have a great art style but graphically I would have thought my 360 can handle WAY more than what those games are doing. I have finished TWD Season 1 and I am playing through TWAU right now and it has been frustrating.

Also the QTEs in TWAU seem really fast already, and the stuttering really makes it worse.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
All of the telltale console ports have performance issues. Wouldn't be surprised if they're running on emulation.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

owl_pellet posted:

The hitching and jerkiness of Telltale's games like The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us after you make a conversation decision and/or when the screen transitions. They have a great art style but graphically I would have thought my 360 can handle WAY more than what those games are doing. I have finished TWD Season 1 and I am playing through TWAU right now and it has been frustrating.

Also the QTEs in TWAU seem really fast already, and the stuttering really makes it worse.

Surprisingly from what I've seen it looks like the best performance is on iOS (i say this after playing it on only ps3 and ipad/iphone)
where the awkward transitions are minimised.
That said, the controls for movement and camera are almost identical and that does get irritating in a few scenes when walking somewhere jerks the camera about slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Telltale makes great games but their tech is a little lacking.