Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I was gonna put a stake through his brain but that zombie already has a stake through his brain. So how do you stop them?

By degrading and demeaning them until they decide there's no point in trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

I was gonna put a stake through his brain but that zombie already has a stake through his brain. So how do you stop them?

The next evolution in survival horror: You shoot them in the dick!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

I am not going to lie. I am legitimately surprised there isn't a grindhouse-style game where this is the primary mechanic yet.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

ImpAtom posted:

I am not going to lie. I am legitimately surprised there isn't a grindhouse-style game where this is the primary mechanic yet.

Somehow so am I...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
You can play Dead Space that way, if you really want.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Bulletstorm comes to mind too.

Knock them down however you can, then light a match and drop it on them to burn them to ash. It's the return of the kerosene mechanic from the "REmake," but you can only carry five matches at once.

I played a bunch of Evil Within on the E3 show floor and it's got a lot more Silent Hill in its DNA than I was expecting, because it's explicitly a game about supernatural horror with next to none of RE's science-fiction handwaving.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

The Dark Id posted:

At this point it wouldn't be zany enough

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I played a bunch of Evil Within on the E3 show floor and it's got a lot more Silent Hill in its DNA than I was expecting, because it's explicitly a game about supernatural horror with next to none of RE's science-fiction handwaving.

I heard a lot of people saying they're disappointed it's not a new RE4, but I never thought that was the point of that game? It was first marketed as the return of dark, gritty survival horror. If anything, I always thought it'd be closer to the original RE4, the one with that ghost chain guy in the mansion.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wanderer posted:

Love me some supernatural horror. I'm one of 48 people that were terrified by F.E.A.R.

edit:
vv Goddamn right I do

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 15, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Love me some supernatural horror. I'm one of 48 people that were terrified by F.E.A.R.

That ladder, man. You know the one I mean.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

fffffffFuuuck that ladder.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Hakkesshu posted:

I heard a lot of people saying they're disappointed it's not a new RE4, but I never thought that was the point of that game? It was first marketed as the return of dark, gritty survival horror. If anything, I always thought it'd be closer to the original RE4, the one with that ghost chain guy in the mansion.

Yeah, anyone who's expecting a new RE4 doesn't understand that Mikami isn't out to reinvent that particular wheel at this point in time. If you go in expecting a backstage pass to how action games will work for the next ten years or so, you'll automatically be disappointed.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Mogomra posted:

I finally beat REmake for the first time in years. Now to start my hard play through for Chris and Jill. :getin:

Why don't they make games like this anymore? It's so good! Yeah, it's still ridiculous Resident Evil, but it's still great. I mean, what mansion doesn't need two cemeteries, a piano bar, and multiple death traps?

I just got a used copy of the REmake today, played a little bit of it and am impressed with how it's held up. It still looks pretty nice too, once you look past the eye-gouging jaggies the backgrounds, lighting and character models are pretty good for a 12 year old game. I like how the game has a few bits that deliberately mess with you if you'd played the original, like the dog through the window fakeout near the start of the game (or trying to re-open the main entrance door).

Removing both the Master of unlocking AND Jill sandwich lines is a travesty though :mad:. The voice acting in general isn't comically bad anymore, just kinda average in a boring way.

I got Resident evil 0 too, which I know everyone hates on but I've never played it and I still love the 'classic' RE style. I know the plot is utter nonsense and hilariously stupid but I'd be wanting my money back if it wasn't.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
DOUBLE!!

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 17, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hakkesshu posted:

Agreed, I mean it's not EXACTLY the chain dude but almost the same scenario shown in some of those old RE4 clips happens even in the trailers for the game, what did people think was gonna happen?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It doesn't seem like Capcom had any surprises this E3, unless you count the Dead Rising DLC (correct me if I'm wrong.) Hopefully they'll announce new titles including RE later on.

I think a new RE would be something they announced at TGS this fall either way. Plus due to the cost, I think the days of them throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks, going through various revisions of the game, etc. are over so we're not going to see it until they have something substantial already to go.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
People in this thread talking about REmake got me thinking... I think a new old school style pre set camera angle RE would be amazing. I would really like to see how such a game could be modernized in 2014. Tighten up the dodge mechanics, controls, and aiming. I think it could work as a smaller downloadable game. There are tons of survival horror fans that would jump on it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I just finished my hard run of REmake as Chris, and started a hard run as Jill. I haven't played her campaign at all since I got the game, and I swear I've never noticed how fast she is. It's so easy to dodge everything!

That combined with the extra item slots, the infinite ammo samurai edge I unlocked, and the goddamn grenade launcher to fall back on, I might as well be playing on easy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

F3AR had a similar one which could happen at random. It happened to me during co-op, around midnight, when I'd switched off all the lights and turned up my sound. My co-op buddy was pissing herself with laughter as all she said was me screaming oval office again and again, jumping back from the monitor. :saddowns:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

poptart_fairy posted:

F3AR had a similar one which could happen at random. It happened to me during co-op, around midnight, when I'd switched off all the lights and turned up my sound. My co-op buddy was pissing herself with laughter as all she said was me screaming oval office again and again, jumping back from the monitor. :saddowns:

For all of its faults F3AR had a couple of cool moments that made me wonder about how a real co-op horror experience could work out, ideally one without swarms of not!zombies that give me experience for killing them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geight posted:

For all of its faults F3AR had a couple of cool moments that made me wonder about how a real co-op horror experience could work out, ideally one without swarms of not!zombies that give me experience for killing them.

It's really really difficult to work out co-op horror if just because having another person along inherently dulls the fear. There was a weird PS2 game called Obscure (or maybe it was only Obscure 2, I can't recall) which had a co-op survival horror mechanic and it tried its best but it was just hard to be scared with someone else sitting next to you talking over what to do next.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It's really really difficult to work out co-op horror if just because having another person along inherently dulls the fear. There was a weird PS2 game called Obscure (or maybe it was only Obscure 2, I can't recall) which had a co-op survival horror mechanic and it tried its best but it was just hard to be scared with someone else sitting next to you talking over what to do next.

I think a Dark Soulsy assymetrical multiplayer would work well for a horror game. If you could have an online co-op buddy that can't talk to you I think it would allow horror games to do co-op and still keep the level of tension high.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think a Dark Soulsy assymetrical multiplayer would work well for a horror game. If you could have an online co-op buddy that can't talk to you I think it would allow horror games to do co-op and still keep the level of tension high.

Didn't people get really upset when Resident Evil Outbreak tried that?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The real problem in making a game scary while also giving the player a means of defending them-self. When people think scary game monsters they think Pyramid Head, who's invincible. The moment you give enemies a healthbar they just become another obstacle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

How could you even tell if they were upset?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ImpAtom posted:

I think it was honestly just a little ahead of its time.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Flytrap posted:

The real problem in making a game scary while also giving the player a means of defending them-self.

In my opinion that's RE4-6's main downfall. It's cool that you can aim better and dodge poo poo, but it makes you practically invincible.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Obscure 1 and 2 did not try at all to be scary. They were extremely campy B movie's turned into games, down to the characters being jabs at horror movie teenagers, and the bad guys being silly/spouting nonsense catchphrases. The plot was literally "THE PLANTS WILL MAKE ME A GOD!" mixed in with "TEENAGERS UGH." Co-op multiplayer didn't make this worse, because they never even bothered trying to make it scary in the first place.

On that note, the Obscure games are on Steam, and I know at least 1 is basically RE1-CV gameplay, but set in a high school, with a greater focus on melee weapons ( because you don't get many guns/not much ammo. ). I never played 2, but it wasn't well liked by reviewers. Looking back, it seems to be because they didn't like the camp ( "The racer character is more annoyed by his car getting wrecked then the zombies! THIS ISN'T REALISTIC!" )/RE4 had been out for awhile so "old" survival horror games weren't worth it.

If you want an alright attempt at RE1-CV though, Obscure will probably be cheap during the summer sale, and it's got good gamepad support. I liked 1 because it gave you 5 characters to play as, but if you lost any of them, they stayed dead, forcing you to choose another person to pick up from where they left out ( without their stuff! ). Add in the focus on melee/the fact they don't have much health, and you'd usually lose your favorite character well before the end, and probably a few more if you used them as teammates ( since they'd get themselves in trouble/die to fighting bosses ).

No idea if 2 is good or not though.

VVVV

Whelp.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 19, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rookersh posted:

No idea if 2 is good or not though.

I don't remember much about 2, except that the bad guy actually rapes one of the characters. It doesn't handle it in a great way. He basically does it to establish how evil he is. They could have done without that little tidbit.

If you're one of those guys that thinks the Resident Evil franchise would have been better off if it stuck with tank controls and fixed camera angles, I think you would like the ObsCure games.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 19, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Obscure 1 had perma death also. You game overed if you ran out of characters to get killed.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I believe there's a Let's Play of both of them. I think the LPer said 1 was solid enough and 2 was really bad?

Edit: Here it is.

catlord fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 19, 2014

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Do people play any of the particular dlc modes on re6 anymore? I want to get the pc version because that game is dope, despite being bad

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Honest Thief posted:

Do people play any of the particular dlc modes on re6 anymore? I want to get the pc version because that game is dope, despite being bad

The DLC wasn't included on the PC version until a week or two after its release, so even right when they came out the playerbase was pretty dang low.

It's a shame, because they seemed pretty fun!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
How is the RE4 HD PC port? The screenshots make the lighting engine look terrible.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I never played the original port, but the "HD" port seems to be pretty barebones. I haven't really looked at any comparison shots, but you really shouldn't expect anything other than the bare minimum as far as decent PC ports go.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Anonymous Robot posted:

How is the RE4 HD PC port? The screenshots make the lighting engine look terrible.

It has a lighting engine, so it's already a step up from the initial first PC release. :v:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
RE 4, 6, and Revelations are all 75% off on Steam right now, if you're interested.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

It's the only version that runs at 60 fps, although the old PC version might have done as well, but it used the PS2's horribly compressed pre-rendered cutscenes. Whatever cheap developer they hired for that and Devil May Cry 3 probably only had experience porting PS2 games to PC, and not Gamecube ones.

I've heard that the mouselook isn't great, but it's still loads of fun shooting sickles out of the air and dynamite in people's hands with a controller.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Anonymous Robot posted:

It runs at 60fps, has all of the content from every version, and is the first port since the Wii version to have specular highlights and bump mapping. Main game cutscenes are all in-engine (Ada mission is still pre-rendered as it's always been), it has a new HD texture pack that looks decent as well as the option to use the original textures, and there's a really impressive fan texture mod in the works. There were some issues when it first came out but they've all been ironed out at this point and it's the definitive version now.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
What's the need-to-know to enjoy RE6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anonymous Robot posted:

What's the need-to-know to enjoy RE6?

I bought it at launch and just enjoyed it. Everyone here will be all "treat it like a brawler" yadda yadda but really play how you have fun playing.