Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Fraction posted:

My rats have free access to a homemade mix of grains, and then most days they get a rat-sized portion of what I have. I eat spaghetti bolognese, they get ratty spag bol. I eat bacon, they get some bacon fat. They're going strong with no health issues yet at ~2, their fur is great and they love it.

I do that too. I tend to share my dinner with them. My little girl is healthy and happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
I feed mine high-quality, low-protein dog food (the top shelf stuff) and table scraps, mostly.

Someone from my vet once commented how fat and happy all my rats are. v:shobon:v

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I feed mine a different grain every other day. Then they get a veggie or meat. I then feed them Chex as a treat.

Oh, and chocolate chips. They (as in mine) love them.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

My rat Milli had a mammary tumor removed today on her leg. The assistants at the vet said that she immediately tried pulling out her sutures so they put an e-collar on her. She's absolutely miserable with it on and constantly trying to pull it off. She's a pretty obsessive groomer with herself and her cage mate, so I'm unsure if it's safe to put her back in the main cage (with or without the collar). Any tips regarding this? I'm at work most of the day and I don't like the thought of leaving her to constantly tug at the collar or pull out her stitches.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I want to buy another rat but all the places are selling females, when I got two males at home. Is it possible to have a female socialize with a male without them loving? I would keep them separate except to play, and I don't want to buy two rats. Or should I just wait for some males to pop up?

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I want to buy another rat but all the places are selling females, when I got two males at home. Is it possible to have a female socialize with a male without them loving? I would keep them separate except to play, and I don't want to buy two rats. Or should I just wait for some males to pop up?

Wait for some males to show up.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Wait for males or get a female and have her spayed ASAP. Spaying might be prohibitively expensive depending on your area though.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Unfortunately, rats only need 5 seconds to do the deed.
Have you looked for breeders in your area or just pet shops?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Just pet shops. I live in a small town so my area is limited. There is a rat vet in the area though so they might know. They helped me with Ratigan. :unsmith:

I'll wait for a couple to pop up. The pet store near me is getting a new litter in ten or so days. I kinda was getting a liking to having a rat named Rita though. :smith:

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

Invalid Octopus posted:

Wait for males or get a female and have her spayed ASAP. Spaying might be prohibitively expensive depending on your area though.

FWIW, my vet it's better to neuter the males as it is a less intensive surgery and has better recovery time. I would assume it would cost more because it would be two rats instead of one, but it might not because spay surgery is an abdominal surgery. I was looking into neutering my two boys so that I could house them with my girls, and I may do that at some point, but right now, we're content with our setup.

But yeah, least expensive option and the route I would probably go if I already had one sex of rat would be wait for more of that sex.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Also, sometimes the pet stores will accidentally get a mix up in and they may have some males somewhere even if they're not out on the sales floor. Can't hurt to ask. Craigslist is usually full of baby rats, too.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

You can name a boy rat Rita :colbert:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I totally agree.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

CompactFanny posted:

Also, sometimes the pet stores will accidentally get a mix up in and they may have some males somewhere even if they're not out on the sales floor. Can't hurt to ask. Craigslist is usually full of baby rats, too.

Fun fact: this is why I have males in the first place. I went to buy the last two females at the pet store and it turned out one of them was a male. And the only female was preggers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't really understand how you can mix up males and females at all. I mean, their balls are nearly as large as their heads, or is that just something special about my guys?

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I think it's more that the rats are really young, so balls are less noticeable, and the people sorting them aren't spergy ratladies and are just being careless.

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008
Isn't it also nipples = female and no nipples = male? I don't recall seeing nipples on my hairless male (I don't think my PEW would like me messing around on his belly.) I know it's that way in mice and makes it easier to sex them especially when they're still young.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

CompactFanny posted:

I think it's more that the rats are really young, so balls are less noticeable, and the people sorting them aren't spergy ratladies and are just being careless.

That and one of the most common ways to sex rodents and other small animals at pet stores involves lifting their tails, which on rats makes the balls recede a bit.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED

I have only had these guys for a few weeks, Still getting used to them but i must say i love them way too much.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

New caaaaamera :dance:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
One of my rats has gotten into the habit of climbing into the highest corner of the case and nibbling on the cage bars while bruxing loudly. What could be the reason? I figured either a need to chew on something or just boredom, but neither seem to be it. I've tried giving him some dry noodles, which he'll eat with all signs of enjoyment, as well as watched him after he has been out to play for the day, but in both cases he'll keep doing it. Any ideas?

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

DerVerrater posted:

I have only had these guys for a few weeks, Still getting used to them but i must say i love them way too much.
Agouti! Aww they are adorable.

So are yours fraction! Beautiful photos.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Cardiovorax posted:

One of my rats has gotten into the habit of climbing into the highest corner of the case and nibbling on the cage bars while bruxing loudly. What could be the reason? I figured either a need to chew on something or just boredom, but neither seem to be it. I've tried giving him some dry noodles, which he'll eat with all signs of enjoyment, as well as watched him after he has been out to play for the day, but in both cases he'll keep doing it. Any ideas?

Only time one of mine has done that was when they were desperate to come out. Tried something harder like rawhide chews or bones, though?

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

My PEW does the same thing, and like Big Bug Hug's, he does it when he wants out.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Cardiovorax posted:

One of my rats does this too. If I'm not trying to sleep, I'll open the cage, and she'll lick my hands all over before she comes out to be held. She always acts really happy and affectionate when I play with her after she starts bar-chewing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hmm, weird. My little guy will actually run away and hide when I try to take him out while he's bar-chewing. No idea what's up with that, then. I'll try to get some more chewy stuff and take him out more anyway, though.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
So I got two rats from the pet store (no breeders here and the closest shelter with rats is a ways away, too) on the 23rd of May. They are both doing great, however one of them has been sneezing some since he came and has some slight poryphrin discharge. Should I take him to the vet now or assume it's just acclimating to a new environment?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I finally got two new rat babies to be company for my 1.5years old rat who's been alone for 2-3 months now, ever since his brother died.

I introduced them to each other and it seems like they're getting along fine except that my older boy seems to be afraid or unwilling to stay in the cage now, that babies are there too, and he wants me to put him on my bed like we used to do sometimes.

I just can't persuade him to stay in the cage but I don't want to force him since I see that he's uncomfortable. Is there anything I can do about that?

EDIT: drat, it even goes so far that my old boy starts chewing cage bars. He never did that before.

Xeras posted:

So I got two rats from the pet store (no breeders here and the closest shelter with rats is a ways away, too) on the 23rd of May. They are both doing great, however one of them has been sneezing some since he came and has some slight poryphrin discharge. Should I take him to the vet now or assume it's just acclimating to a new environment?

Are you using cage bedding made of some kind of tree byproduct? If so, throw it the gently caress away as soon as possible.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 11, 2014

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

My 1 year old died of an heart attack of Saturday. One minute she was chilling by the window side (which is then connected to my couch) and enjoying the summer breeze, the next she was running to me in panic, with her mouth open and doing this weird jump thingy. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on, and at that moment we both knew what was going to happen. I petted her softly, telling her everything was ok in a soothing voice until she took her last breath.

This all happened within two minutes. I am devastated. I have had many rats in my life, but this girl was nothing like the others. She was my best friend as I was hers. I know rats don't live that long, but this death as sudden. At least with my other rats I knew the time was near and I was mentally ready.

This is going to take a while to heal. I never knew a rat could have so much effect on me. Hack, even my mother cried was she came out of the shower and saw her on couch, dead.

Do me all a favor, cuddle you rats right now! Tell them you love them. Their lives are short but my god can you make it amazing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DrNewton posted:

My 1 year old died of an heart attack of Saturday. One minute she was chilling by the window side (which is then connected to my couch) and enjoying the summer breeze, the next she was running to me in panic, with her mouth open and doing this weird jump thingy. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on, and at that moment we both knew what was going to happen. I petted her softly, telling her everything was ok in a soothing voice until she took her last breath.

This all happened within two minutes. I am devastated. I have had many rats in my life, but this girl was nothing like the others. She was my best friend as I was hers. I know rats don't live that long, but this death as sudden. At least with my other rats I knew the time was near and I was mentally ready.

This is going to take a while to heal. I never knew a rat could have so much effect on me. Hack, even my mother cried was she came out of the shower and saw her on couch, dead.

Do me all a favor, cuddle you rats right now! Tell them you love them. Their lives are short but my god can you make it amazing.
Holy poo poo that sounds horrible :( Stupid, but I never thought about that being something that, well... could happen. At least it was quick, but the suddenness must be awful. Hope you're alright.

What I came to post, and hopefully something to cheer you up a bit:
Following her sister's death in February, Chimay has become the most ridiculously codependent rat. She just wants nothing more than to sit on my lap and brux happily. I generally repay this kindness by flipping her on her back and blowing raspberries on her belly until she gets annoyed, claws the poo poo out of my hand/chin and hides under my girlfriend's hair.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can 6 weeks old babies eat too much?
I'm used to having food out for my ratties all the time so they can eat whenever they feel like it but my new babies just keep eating and trying to steal my food as well. Obviously they don't eat all the food or they'd explode but I'd still like to know if I should be concerned or not.

EDIT: Also one more thing. Is buck grease dangerous in any way?
One of my ratties is obese and he can't clean himself properly. I put him on a proper rat diet but he isn't losing weight very fast.
I wondering if it's important that I bathe him or not because he is incredibly afraid of water.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 15, 2014

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Weedlord your rat is super sweet. I like the loving look in her eyes :D

Jack, There is nothing harmful about buck grease :) if I ever bathed my rats (boys), I would come out covered in scratches.

And I've had babies that ate and ate and ate too. I think it was because they liked the food I was giving them more than what they had before. I was giving them veggies and grains and different little things to try and they were very excited at the variety. Babies are pretty active, I wouldn't worry.

You might be more successful getting the fat boy to slim down if he gets more exercise. Does he get out of the cage much?

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 15, 2014

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Big Bug Hug posted:

Jack, There is nothing harmful about buck grease :) if I ever bathed my rats (boys), I would come out covered in scratches.

And I've had babies that ate and ate and ate too. I think it was because they liked the food I was giving them more than what they had before. I was giving them veggies and grains and different little things to try and they were very excited at the variety. Babies are pretty active, I wouldn't worry.
Thanks for the info.
I never had babies this young before and I was really surprised at how restless they are.

My babies are running circles around the room for hours and are literally crawling up the walls just to sniff the clothes on the top shelf. It's insane.

Big Bug Hug posted:

Jack, You might be more successful getting the fat boy to slim down if he gets more exercise. Does he get out of the cage much?
I don't close the cage. My ratties are free to roam their rat-safe room.
My boy just doesn't like to be active and really just prefers to sleep, eat and cuddle all day. I don't really know what I can do to engage him and make him lose some weight.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Im having some trouble with my little darlings just now, Ive tried to tempt them into interacting with me but they just take the food and run off into a corner of the cage. Recently also when removing their litter tray thing one of them bit me out of nowhere which came as quite a shock and i must admit has made me somewhat more nervous around him.

Any advice on how to deal with this.

Also a picture of miscellaneous cuteness from the more friendly of the two.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DerVerrater posted:

Im having some trouble with my little darlings just now, Ive tried to tempt them into interacting with me but they just take the food and run off into a corner of the cage. Recently also when removing their litter tray thing one of them bit me out of nowhere which came as quite a shock and i must admit has made me somewhat more nervous around him.

That's how I started with my first pair of rats too. Give them treats and let them run off if they feel like it. Let them get used to a giant hairless ape living next to them. Every now and then you might want to give them yoghurt as a treat. Rats love yoghurt and you can dip your finger in it which will "force" them to stay close to you for longer periods of time.
Also I know it's tempting but you want to avoid forcefully picking them out of the cage until they're comfortable with you. It'll make them feel better if they have a safe place where they think you can't "get them". Patience is important.

Are you sure that the ratty bit you out of fear? 99% of the times rats bite you because your finger looks like something edible.
If they keep doing that constantly you can try making a loud squeek (I'm serious) every time they do, which rats understand as "don't do that". You should have to do that though, they should figure it out on their own.

I only ever had two pair of rats though, so that might not be the best advice but it worked for me in the same situation.

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008
I have a crappy SuperPet Multi-Level Cage for my guy rats. Here in the past few weeks, I've found Winston asleep like this:

Does anyone have an explanation for this, or is he just an odd ball?

Also, I found a hard lump on the back my PEW boy (Buddy). I'm going to take him to the vet as soon as I can, but I also kind of would like to have an idea ahead of time. My mind can't keep from thinking the worst, especially since this is a recent development. Any thoughts?

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

It's normal weird rat sleeping behavior. I love it when they do that.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

DerVerrater posted:

Basically echoing what Jack Trades said, give them treats but do it while making some sort of sound (I did clicking with my tongue). This will eventually train them to come when called and also not to accidentally nip you when you don't have treats for them. Try to squeak the moment they nip. Once they understand that nipping is bad, I would use forced socialization (basically take them out whenever you can) and they should get over it pretty quickly.

RubySprinkles, that's really cute. They usually just sleep on their heads for me. What a silly boy. :3:

As far as your other concern, I don't want to feed your anxiety but hard lumps are never good news. Hoping for the best for you and Buddy.

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

buffybot posted:

RubySprinkles, that's really cute. They usually just sleep on their heads for me. What a silly boy. :3:

As far as your other concern, I don't want to feed your anxiety but hard lumps are never good news. Hoping for the best for you and Buddy.

I kind of figured that hard = not good. My dog had a lump on his chest before he passed, but it was just fatty tissue. I can definitely feel a difference between the way that mass felt and the one on Buddy's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
My wife just said one of our rats has suddenly started losing her balance. She was showing a tiny bit of porphirin for the last two days but we found no URI going on. She is getting in touch with our rat vet now.

Seems like the options are maybe stroke, brain tumor, or ear infection. She is 1 1/2 years old, which I'm not sure but am guessing is old enough that stroke or tumor is a likely possibility?