Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why? Workout you pussy. Why are some of these guys such primadonnas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

jimcunningham posted:

If he has a promise from someone he likes (which is typically the case in these situations) then why bother?

C. Everett Koop posted:

I don't get how Charlotte takes McDermott unless they play him and Biyombo at the same time 6 on 5 and claim that together they make one NBA player.

Would taking Rodney Hood at 9 be a decent pick for the Hornets or is that too high?

It would be a pretty huge reach. And I don't know why you'd want him and not McDermott, he's even more one dimensional and isn't even as good at that one thing as McDermott is.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

jimcunningham posted:

It has nothing to do with the physical activity, it's just a get drafted where you want strategy.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

jimcunningham posted:

He supposedly has a Marinovich-esque father who controls everything and really wants him in LA or NYC.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I imagine there are some practical reasons to not do workouts if you aren't sure you're going to come over, even if you don't have a promise.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Has any player been promised and then been screwed over? Would there be any recourse for a player who had a promise from a team who then reneged?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

roundmidnight posted:

Has any player been promised and then been screwed over? Would there be any recourse for a player who had a promise from a team who then reneged?

From what I understand unfilled draft promises, or what players/agents take as promises are pretty common.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
edit: wrong thread.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

roundmidnight posted:

Promises are all handshake deals and totally under the table (unless they're being used as leverage) and there have been plenty of players who have gotten hosed over with no recourse; Jeremy Lin had a promise from the Lakers to draft him, for example.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Is there any chance the top 3 picks will not be some combination of Wiggins/Embiid/Parker? I'd love for one of them to fall to the Magic and I'm not sold on Exum.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

The Zack posted:

Is there any chance the top 3 picks will not be some combination of Wiggins/Embiid/Parker? I'd love for one of them to fall to the Magic and I'm not sold on Exum.

The Cavs have the first pick. So yes, there's a chance.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Unless a medical red flag comes up on one of them probably not.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I feel like I read somewhere that the Bucks could take Exum but it was more of a "consider all viable options just to be safe" kind of thing.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Name pool gets weaker as Kristaps Porzingis exits the draft believing he can get a better spot in 2015.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Saric waited until 10 minutes before the deadline, but he's staying in the draft.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

chunkles posted:

Name pool gets weaker as Kristaps Porzingis exits the draft believing he can get a better spot in 2015.

In related news, the Thunder may now be forced to a draft a player that is interested in playing in the NBA in the next decade.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He supposedly has a Marinovich-esque father who controls everything and really wants him in LA or NYC.

It's LA or Boston allegedly. No one wants their child to be a Knick.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Redgrendel2001 posted:

MourningView posted:

It's LA or Boston allegedly. No one wants their child to be a Knick.

Philly is a important city too. We have lots of history and stuff. Why does no one ever want to demand to play in Philly?

:(

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

DOOP posted:

Philly is a important city too. We have lots of history and stuff. Why does no one ever want to demand to play in Philly?

Maybe Wiggins/Parker+Noel+MCW will change that :)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Philadelphia has had decent teams when their owners have spent a lot of money but either they haven't or they've been in situations like now where there's not much to spend the money on.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's interesting how different the Lakers and Sixers are handling this, the Lakers made a big public display, had competitive scrimmages (other than Randle who just agreed to a workout this week), and put as much film and media up as they thought they could get away with and the Sixers are having closed workouts without releasing the names of who they're working out (other than the obvious ones).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DOOP posted:

The fans.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Come to Philadelphia and recreate the Allen Iverson Experience

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Shamsports starting a mega draft board with Centers

http://www.shamsports.com/2014/06/centers.html#more

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Shamsports starting a mega draft board with Centers

http://www.shamsports.com/2014/06/centers.html#more

Man they wrote a lot of words about guys who mostly won't get drafted.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Come to beautiful Philadelphia where we still wear blackface whenever the Flyers play the Habs

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Ford's mock draft today has the Sixers getting Wiggins and Randle. If only...

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ty1990 posted:

A starting lineup of MCW/Wiggins/Lebron/Randel/Noel

:smuggo:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ailene Voisin: Kings GM Pete D'Alessandro, Mike Bratz and Chris Mullin meeting with prospects Doug McDermott and Nik Stauskas right now in Chicago.

The Kings are probably giving strong consideration to these guys at #8. I think their draft board is probably something like:
1) Vonleh (Bratz raved about him)
2) Gordon (Bratz thinks he'll come in as a 3 yikes)
3) McDermott
4) Stauskas

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mks5000 posted:

That looks nearly identical to the Sixers teams I run into the ground in 2k14 to pick up Lebron in FA the next year.

What's everyone's opinion on Rodney Hood? He seems like he has the skillset and the physical ability to go much higher than I'm seeing him slotted at.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah Saric's dad is an egomaniac who said that he wouldn't let his son be part of rookie hazing and Saric's own agent has buried his dad so he's one hell of a red flag.

Ahahah I just googled about dad drama and apparently the Dad refused to speak with him after he signed with the Croatian team back in 2012, now he's involved and micromanaging again. Sounds like a good relationship.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 17, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Doltos posted:

What's everyone's opinion on Rodney Hood? He seems like he has the skillset and the physical ability to go much higher than I'm seeing him slotted at.

He tests a lot more athletic that he actually plays. On the court he's just a shooter, albeit a very good one. He's a mediocre ball handler who doesn't get to the basket or draw contact much. He's also a horrible, lazy defensive player. He's going exactly where he should.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Randle I think would work great with Noel but who knows who Noel is anymore. We haven't seen him in forever and he is much bigger and can shoot a little apparently.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

He tests a lot more athletic that he actually plays.

This is an important distinction that will end up getting lost on people anyways.

euphronius posted:

Randle I think would work great with Noel but who knows who Noel is anymore. We haven't seen him in forever and he is much bigger and can shoot a little apparently.

Noel could focus on shotblocking and help defense and Randle would be focusing on rebounds and going to work in the low post. Noel's offensive game comes mostly off-the-ball anyways and that's likely how the Sixers would bring him up. He could develop into something more but at the very least he should be able to provide something complementary to Randle and vice versa.

E: Also developing a jumpshot would only further help him play alongside Randle

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Declan MacManus posted:

This is an important distinction that will end up getting lost on people anyways.

Yeah Harrison Barnes showed how important it is.

Also my dream scenario for Noel is Tyson Chandler.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Inside Outside posted:

I feel like I read somewhere that the Bucks could take Exum but it was more of a "consider all viable options just to be safe" kind of thing.

They brought in Exum as well as Emb/Wig/Park for a look, but I'm thinking they'll take Parker, unless he's gone in which case they grab Wiggins. I think they pass on Embiid.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

Man they wrote a lot of words about guys who mostly won't get drafted.

They are insane.

Paul Zuvella posted:

It'd probably be good eventually but man that would be a rough first season.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Ty1990 posted:

The 76ers are putting insane pressure on themselves by coveting Wiggins so highly so openly.

Apparently Embiid's failed medical was a clever ruse by the Cavaliers to acquire picks and still draft Embiid: http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/17301146-embiids-medical-red-flags-could-be-a-smokescreen-by-cavaliers

So I guess he's good to go and will be the #1 pick?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The 76ers are putting insane pressure on themselves by coveting Wiggins so highly so openly.

Apparently Embiid's failed medical was a clever ruse by the Cavaliers to acquire picks and still draft Embiid: http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/17301146-embiids-medical-red-flags-could-be-a-smokescreen-by-cavaliers

So I guess he's good to go and will be the #1 pick?

That's basically a Bleacher Report article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

morestuff posted:

That's basically a Bleacher Report article.

It's the only article I could find that talks about Embiid's Cavaliers medical-physical results, of which there were reports of red flags.

• Locked thread