Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only thing about stuff like that annoys me is that it shows that D+D have a very disconnected opinion on what most people who like these books, even in their awfulness. It's a shame when the people who are making the adaptation of them seem to be hell bent on not including iconic moments like that, or changing things for little reason because the show is the only version most people consume because a lot of people treat reading a book as if it's going to give them cancer if they do it.
It's not like "only Cat" is the only thing they've changed slightly but changes something iconic in the books. "The Lannisters send their regards" for example.

I'm not even sure if it's annoying, it's more disappointing than anything.

e: The show's version of the Bloodraven is :effort: as gently caress.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

It's either an iron price twist or another Quentyn-like story but this time as a vehicle to deliver the dragon horn to Dany so she can finally control them. Maybe both?

Coldhands is Bloodraven warged into a wight.

ok that is pretty cool.

equity posted:

I guess tyrion doesnt hate jaime lol

yeah that totally hosed my whole theory up. And there was no continuation of the bug speech... which makes that bug speech even loving dumber. I thought at least it was set up for something...

syscall girl posted:

I will carve "Only" on Benioff's face and "Cat" on Weiss' but backwards so there will always be a suspicion that they did it themselves in a mirror and are really loving dumb.

Man, I wiki'd Morton Downey Jr. - he's been dead for like 10 years.

Aurain posted:

Does emoticon mean not enough effort? or you are mocking someone for making an effort?

I'm guessing the first, cuz that dude just looked like an old man leaning against a tree.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 16, 2014

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Aurain posted:

Bloodraven is an old man sitting on a tree.

Jaime and Tyrion- bros for life, with no tragic conflict.

Tysha? Actually a whore, I guess.

Catelyn? Of course she's dead, why wouldn't she be?

And with Davos at the wall, we'll probably never see cannibal king Rickon.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

For Davos, I'm thinking that early in season five, the Mannis will send him to White Harbor. He's been such an integral part to Stannis' story, that I think D&D thought that it'd be a better moment to have him at the Wall.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TequilaJesus posted:

Bloodraven is an old man sitting on a tree.

Jaime and Tyrion- bros for life, with no tragic conflict.

Catelyn? Of course she's dead, why wouldn't she be?

ok cool - didn't want to think I was the only one who was underwhelmed by that poo poo.

You know the best part of about the changes? no more "Where do whores go?". I'm ok with that.

Those skeletons were like pirates of carribean or some poo poo. And how the gently caress does bran loving learn all these mad fighting skills just by warging into Hodor. You'd think he'd be even MORE clumsy and poo poo, not suddenly get all MATRIX I KNOW MACE-FU.

Fireballs were stupid, and I couldn't stop thinking about LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT! LARP video.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

It's nice to see Things finally happening on this show, but so far as I remember from the books this is the last time Things happen anyway.

RIP my old Hound. :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kcroy posted:

Does emoticon mean not enough effort? or you are mocking someone for making an effort?

I'm guessing the first, cuz that dude just looked like an old man leaning against a tree.

Yeah, because it's literally just a regular old man sitting on a tree.

I'm guessing that they'd argue that Bran knows how to fight because he wanted to be a knight. A knight who can't shoot a bow.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Skeletons? Fireballs? What?

I didn't see the episode. You're telling me Hodor was battling skeletons and hurling fireballs?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fhate posted:

Skeletons? Fireballs? What?

I didn't see the episode. You're telling me Hodor was battling skeletons and hurling fireballs?

One of the children of the forest or whatever they're called threw fireballs.

Then Brienne and the hound beat the poo poo out of each other. Which, I didn't know what to expect there so I kinda enjoyed it because it was so unexpected. I though they'd resolve things peacefully or something but nope.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

TequilaJesus posted:

That was already dead in the water. Show-Rickon went to Last Hearth.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Why does Bloodraven have a thousand eyes and two? I can pseudo get behind the children of the forest looking like actual children instead of 4 fingered cat looking fuckers. I was able to move past them throwing grenades at skeletons. I just cannot get past that loving old man having two perfectly fine eyes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lycus posted:

That was already dead in the water. Show-Rickon went to Last Hearth.

That doesn't mean a lot though. Osha could easily have thought "oh, I'll take him to cannibal unicorn murder island. It's probably safer than Bolton ruled North" and never took him there anyway.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think it means more than people just hoping that Skagos is happening.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TequilaJesus posted:

I'm really glad they streamlined this, actually. It was honestly needlessly convoluted the way it appeared in the book. Tyrion, as he appears in the show, already has enough angst to make him compelling anyway.

I really liked this season finale. I was a little surprised that Jojen bought it, but it's pretty clear from his visions in ADWD that he's doomed in the books anyway. I also thought that Brynden's appearance was a little bit underwhelming, but we'll see. Maybe I'll be more impressed next season. Good fight between Brienne and Sandor.

Also great foreshadowing about the Mountain getting Frankensteined.

e: Oh, also, anybody whining about Jaime and Tyrion parting ways on good terms is the worst type of grognard babby. Tyrion hating Jaime because of the Tysha thing was terribly written and added precisely nothing to the story or either characer. It was angstyness for angstyness' sake.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 16, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

TGG posted:

Why does Bloodraven have a thousand eyes and two? I can pseudo get behind the children of the forest looking like actual children instead of 4 fingered cat looking fuckers. I was able to move past them throwing grenades at skeletons. I just cannot get past that loving old man having two perfectly fine eyes.

I think it's a metaphor or something.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Bloodraven reveal was lame as gently caress. I was expecting this:

Not a spry Deckard Cain-like who looked mildly inconvenienced by some roots.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Octy posted:

I think it's a metaphor or something.

Yeah, those "eyes," in my reading, are his ability to see through the weirwoods/heart trees.

This is a pretty cool picture of Brynden that fits my image of him in the books:

e: The pic in the post above me is also pretty badass.

e2:

mythicknight posted:

I think I'm finally done with the show. Between no tysha, dark souls spoopy skeleton attack, literal magic fireball throwing, jaime knocking away the white book to gently caress cersei, etc etc I'm at my limit.

Should have done this after the house of the undying poo poo.

I'm kind of bewildered by posts like this. What was it about the books that you liked, that the show has failed to provide? I mean, I don't think the show's perfect by any means, but I'm still having fun with it.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 16, 2014

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

theDOWmustflow posted:

It feels really loving weird seeing good ASOIAF fanart.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

theDOWmustflow posted:

I was expecting to see roots like loving intestines, holding his broken and rotted body together.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even if he's not got the roots going through his body to the point where he and the tree are essentially one in the same like he basically is in the book, he should really look a lot more decript and ancient than "regular old man".

This Bloodraven looks he could have gotten up and gone for a wander around Westeros on himself. Hopefully they pull a ~*~Daario~*~ and change it between seasons when the budget is back.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is pretty cool:

Read this from the wiki: "An albino, Brynden had milk white skin, long white hair, and red eyes."

Sorry friend, but there is only room in my heart for ONE albino, red eyed, warrior-sorceror.

edit: man after thinking of elric I had to go re-read the first chapter. Loved this description of the singing:

[quote=""""]
From the galleries, the music grows louder and more complex as the slaves; specially trained and surgically operated upon to sing but one perfect note each, are stimulated to more passionate efforts. Even the young emperor is moved by the sinister harmony of their song which in few ways resembles anything previously uttered by the human voice. Why should their pain produce such marvellous beauty? he wonders.
[\quote]

That was some pretty dark fantasy writing for those days. oh found the first chapter online if you haven't read it before: http://www.litmir.net/br/?b=127157&p=1

kcroy fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 16, 2014

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
Good finale overall. I felt Tyrion's part was really really rushed. I would have likes to see more motivation for Jaime to let Tyrion out of the cell. It was also odd but understandable that Tyrion had some Solid Snake skills.

I swear if Arya killed the Hound I was going to turn the show off. The fight made sense though because Brienne needed an rear end kicking and Biter was dead. Also it leaves The Hound less "what just happened?!?!?" And more open to still live.

Glad they cut out about 90% of Brienne's chapters though!

Arya's Creed begins with her finding a beautiful white Shadowfax in the middle of nowhere was a bit odd. I actually liked the scene with her and The Hound though. I'll miss their chemistry.

My only gripe was how the hell did Stannis pincer the Wildlings? You're telling me he landed on the east shore and sent thousands of men around to the west UNNOTICED by one hundred thousand men? I was kind of confused by that.

Dany was Zzzz as usual. Glad they didn't end the season with her dumb poo poo. Did the dragons look smaller to anyone else?

Oh and gently caress whoever directed the Hound/Brienne fight. Every two seconds the camera shifted and I couldn't tell what the gently caress happened sometimes. There was one point the camera cut away like five times in rapid succession so it looked like a camera guy fell over and rolled around. I loved the Hound's oval office Kick though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Hunky Joe posted:

Did the dragons look smaller to anyone else?

I think it's just Drogon being quite a bit bigger than the other two, and he was one she was laying with in the premiere.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They do change scale of these CGI animals a lot though. The direwolves are worse for it.

Hell, Summer changed colour a couple of times over the seasons.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I remember when I went to see Watchmen in theaters. It was, barring the ending, very much a movie replication of the comic. The thing that struck me? THAT MADE IT FEEL OFF. It worked fine as a comic, but this close replication of it made the movie just feel...wrong. There was just something you couldn't quite put your finger on in regards to the pacing and the setup as a result, and the movie was weaker for it. Now yes, that doesn't meant I would have preferred some of the earlier scripts which had stuff like the setting being changed to post 9/11 and Ozymandius' plan being to kill Dr. Manhatten which would have reset the universe to where the characters just existed in a comic book, but that offness was still there for me.

This is why I don't complain about changes unless they're absolutely huge and sweeping: the reading and visual mediums are very different and you cannot perfectly move one to the other, or vice versa, and if you try, what's being shifted will suffer for it. This thread has mocked for years the whole 'American Tolkien' thing and buried it under fat pink masts and field-making GBS threads a thousand times, but I always felt that blurb applied to how both Tolkien and Martin, in their books, really felt like they'd built an entirely different world that we were stepping into, instead of just a series of props and set-pieces that characters interact with. But that sort of thing just doesn't translate to TV, so things have to be changed. So really, complain over Littlefinger nearly getting himself killed by Cersei, that's a good point. But stuff like 'Only your sister', no Tysha, even stuff like no Strong Belwas, that's just inevitable and not worth complaining over.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I was digging The Mannis, actually liked the skeleton battle, was willing to accept the fireballs, was at least hoping that the Children would have cat eyes when we got a close up next season, and was SUPER disappointed in Bloodraven.

He could've been a physical prop that barely moved and would've been more true to the books than 'Saruman leaning on some roots'.

I actually liked Dany in this episode. We finally got some real emotion and no more overacting. Clarke even seemed to be digging the compliments from that old tutor. Much better than the Star Wars Prequel poo poo we've been seeing up to this point. Plus the show fixed the pacing, with the dragons being shackled following her going back and allowing micro-slavery.

That would've not been such a bad solution if they created a legal template that had anti-abuse clauses and protections. Would've been more free than the servants in Westeros IMO.

I hope to god Daario stays gone in the show.

I'm jumping on the hate train for the way the Lannisters were handled. D&D seem hellbent on ruining Jaime. Here's how to fix the scene: when Cersei enters, Jaime stands and walks towards her because she looks nuts and is babbling about how everything's going to be ok. She forces him into a different seat at the table, and starts blowing him/kissing his gold hand (was genuinely nervous we were going to see Nikolai's dick). Jaime gets a boner at defying his father and contemplates voting Ron Paul until he opens his eyes and sees the White Book. Scene ends with him staring at the book and feeling confused.

I actually agree with the Tyrion scene. Hating Jaime gave him the anger and hopelessness to act in the book, but as another poster said he was angry enough to at least confront his father. Seeing Tywin not only loving Shae but being 'her Lion' was more than enough to get him to reach for the crossbow by itself.

Hound vs. Brienne is a great change and everything about those scenes was great. I loved that at the end, the Hound was genuinely protecting Arya. His arc is definitely complete and Cleganebowl isn't happening.

Arya got Brienne's horse; it wasn't random.

EDIT: fun fact about this episode--the mega wierwood is the Whomping Willow that the HBO crew took from Warner Brothers, now that the HP films are done.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

visceril posted:

Arya got Brienne's horse; it wasn't random.

I think it was just the horse that Arya got in the premiere. Arya and the Hound just had their horses secured off-screen.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Brienne and Pod's horses ran off. Arya gets a white horse after the "loving chicken" scene in episode 1 of the season. It was her horse, probably. I forget if they lose their horses in the season.

The problem with Jaime in the show is that they can't decide what to do with him, even though it's cut and dried in the book. They can't decide if they want to make him go full redemption or actually still a bit of a prick by putting Cersei first despite him knowing better.

Cleganebowl is definitely happening, I'd go as far as saying it's confirmed and recommending that you get hype.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aurain posted:

Brienne and Pod's horses ran off. Arya gets a white horse after the "loving chicken" scene in episode 1 of the season. It was her horse, probably. I forget if they lose their horses in the season.

The problem with Jaime in the show is that they can't decide what to do with him, even though it's cut and dried in the book. They can't decide if they want to make him go full redemption or actually still a bit of a prick by putting Cersei first despite him knowing better.

Cleganebowl is definitely happening, I'd go as far as saying it's confirmed and recommending that you get hype.

What if they cut out Jaime's "wandering" in AFOC and they deal with Jaime and Cersei together for the whole next season. They can focus on Jaime's moral arc, and skip all that world building bullshit. By the time Brienne shows up, Jaime will be totally loving ready to leave crazy cersei's side.

and yeah. get hype.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Some more incest rape, surely.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Some more incest rape, surely.

It's not rape

if you didn't escape!

And Incest is best

When youre in the West

Eros

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Aurain posted:

I forget if they lose their horses in the season.
They didn't, but some people made a thing out of them not having horses in the Bloody Gate scene, which probably just means that the Vale guards make people dismount before approaching the Gate.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Weiss on Cersei/Tywin's scene in episode 10 posted:

It’s a huge gamble on Cersei’s part. You need to be steely and tough as hell to pull a move like this on a person like Tywin. She goes up against him and she wins. She wins with the one thing that she holds over him, which is his family legacy. She has a piece of information that could destroy the most important thing in the world to him, the thing he’s worked on his entire life. And I think that Tywin looks in her eyes and when she tells him the truth he realizes that she is someone who will do exactly what she claims she’ll do. She’s very much her father’s daughter in that way.

In this alternate universe where Tyrion is successfully executed and Tywin lives on to react to that, how exactly would this end at all well for Cersei?
One thing we know as a guarantee is that nothing would stop Tywin from carrying on the Lannister dynasty and he needs Jaime to take up the seat at Casterly Rock.
All she would really have accomplished is giving Tywin leverage over Jaime by forcing him to become his heir once more by threatening the life of Cersei over it. She has little value to Tywin outside of being Loras' wife and if she won't do that, she's worthless to him.
He'd just force Jaime to take Casterly Rock or she'd end up dead, and he'd have further influence over Tommen and in the end, the Lannister's rule would be stronger without her.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So did they put off Stoneheart or what?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Shoehead posted:

So did they put off Stoneheart or what?

If they ever start talking about Freys mysteriously getting killed in the riverlands we could get started with the Stoneheart hype all over again, but for now we can just assume it was decided that it wasn't worth the screentime.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

kcroy posted:

It's not rape

if you didn't escape!

And Incest is best

When youre in the West

Eros

'Families that sleep together stay together' - GRRM

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If they ever start talking about Freys mysteriously getting killed in the riverlands we could get started with the Stoneheart hype all over again, but for now we can just assume it was decided that it wasn't worth the screentime.

gently caress this show

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Maybe they just want all of the Stoneheart scenes to be in the same season so they could shoot all of Michelle Fairley's scenes at once rather than call her up for consecutive seasons.

Who knows.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It wouldn't have been hard for them to film Stoneheart during season 3 and just not use it until now.

Then they can bring her back when she has scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I thought the episode was good overall, but am kinda bummed about a few things along the lines of what several posters have said here.

Tyrion's "whitewashing" was really strange. Guess his character's gonna change from how emo he was in the books from this point on.

I was really hoping that the Children of the Forest would at least look a little more non-human in a Skyrim's-depiction-of-elves way, and let down that all we got was an extra from The NeverEnding Story. Also what the gently caress was up with Bloodraven just being an old Kung Fu master? I pictured the entire weirwood burrow being a lot more Alien/Giger-esque with the halls being almost fleshy, not just a bunch of random, weak roots. Maybe Bloodraven was just doing some "this isn't even my final form" appearance-magic bullshit for his first meeting with Bran, and we'll get to see just how really hosed up he looks next season?

I'm also pretty sure that the lack of Lady Stoneheart this season doesn't mean they've cut her character. She's a pretty important part of the books and the North Remembers plotline in general. They probably just didn't want to pay Fairley for an appearance in one episode this season. (fake edit: woah just beaten by three posters saying the same thing)

DrPop fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 16, 2014