Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Levitate posted:

Haha, it really is a thing. The problem with spaghetti sauce for backpacking is that it's hard to just kind of mix together out of dry stuff because most of the time it calls for tomato paste, and no one's going to take a can of tomato paste in their backpack and there doesn't seem to be a great substitute.

Tomato paste in a tube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

pissboy posted:

So did you cook the spaghetti and dry it and then process the sauce as above?

TIA!

I'd probably just use something like angel hair pasta or capellini that cooks fast by itself

Ropes4u posted:

Tomato paste in a tube

Yeah but then you have to dehydrate that :v:

I dunno if I"ll actually do this for trips or not, I'm just experimenting.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Levitate posted:

I'd probably just use something like angel hair pasta or capellini that cooks fast by itself

Yeah but then you have to dehydrate that :v:

I dunno if I"ll actually do this for trips or not, I'm just experimenting.

I was thinking about just taking that as is, it's small and useful for flavoring pasta...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

LogisticEarth posted:

Every time someone posts a bunch of pictures, I start wondering what camera everyone hikes with.

I just use my iPhone. Photos are ok, not the best, but good enough for me.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Chemmy posted:

I just use my iPhone. Photos are ok, not the best, but good enough for me.

iPhone photos have own prizes, including photos taken by me. But I am going to buy a micro four thirds camera one of these days.

I currently carry and cannon s95 and an iPhone both of which take nice photos for my needs

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

An OM-D with a cameraclip (like this https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capture) is what I like to use. Keeps it on hand no matter what I'm doing (I keep it attached to my backpacks strap, it's comfy even when I'm biking or something similar) and it doesn't flop around like it would with a normal strap or even a black rapid.

I mostly got it because about 3/4ths of the way up this hill I slipped and fell because I was too busy trying to keep the camera from flopping around on my black rapid instead of keeping my balance.

P2220058.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm kind of insane, I almost always pack my Nikon D7000 with two lenses and three filters, my GoPro, and my cell phone. I went caving as a portion of a class, and everyone said I looked like I worked for Nat Geo because I had all that poo poo plus a tripod. But I couldn't imagine not going without it all, just in case. The other photo junkie didn't even bring his camera inside with him at all, because he was afraid it would be too dangerous and he'd wreck it. We have differing opinions about adventure photography, I guess. He was with me in Moab too, and same thing. So many missed opportunities.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If you're really worried about breaking poo poo renters insurance on camera gear is pretty cheap and will cover that sort of thing.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I wasn't getting nearly enough out of a DSLR compared to my P&S to justify carrying it; it always felt pretty cumbersome and I was really bad about missing wildlife shots from having it cased. A better photographer would have more justification for it.

I'm heading to Acadia for the first time next week! Has anyone here been out there and have any recs for trails? I like tough trails, since I'm used to day hikes up the 4000-footers in the Whites, but I'm also interested in places that are just really beautiful. I'm looking at Sargent and the Beehive for sure... probably avoiding Cadillac unless the trail itself is really fun. Seems Precipice and Jordan Cliffs are closed for falcons.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, I almost always carry my 5d ii and 24-105L, but I don't even bring a case for it because if I don't have it out I'm going to miss all the good shots. That said, I am waiting for a great deal on a mirrorless to replace my dslrs for travel use.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Im getting tired of lugging my 50D and 17-50 on backpacking trips so I too am leaning towards something smaller strictly for travel.

Im leaning towards mirrorless due to the manual features but I wouldn't be opposed to a really nice point and shoot. The problem is that I dont want to break the bank doing it and it needs to be compact.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

My fiancee carries a big ol' camera with her when we hike. I ended up getting her a Peak Design Capture Pro so she wouldn't have it smacking against her boobs when she wasn't using it.

Kinda handy since you can attach it to any belt or strap and keep quick access to the camera whenever you need it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Is there such an animal as a good 3 season down bag that is light and not $400.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Ropes4u posted:

Look at the Montbell down hugger 650 #3, I have one of the older versions and have zero complaints about it after 6 years (slightly heavy by ultralight standards, but still good enough to justify the cost).

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

You can also look into quilts, they're usually less $$ than down bags

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Levitate posted:

You can also look into quilts, they're usually less $$ than down bags

I love my quilt, but it's also the single most expensive piece of gear I own and it's not even the high-end company. The good ones aren't cheaper that equivalent full bags.

Granted, CAD<->USD is to blame for a portion of that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Ropes4u posted:

What specifically are you looking for that you cant find? I feel like there are plenty of good down options below $400

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Here's a 750 fill 20 degree quilt for $225 from a company with a good reputation (though I'm not sure what the big difference between duck and goose down is and the goose down is more expensive...weight seems to be the main thing)

http://store.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

:shrug:

e: really there's no way a quilt should cost as much or more than an equivalent rated down bag all things equal as can be since you're generally talking about significantly fewer materials.

e2: As for bag options, it does depend on what your price range is...REI's Igneo is $300 for a size regular bag rated to 19 degrees and just a tad under 2 lbs.

Their Flash bag is $260 for a 29 degree rating and 1 lb 12 oz, etc.

I feel like you have to really define what's "affordable" and what's "light" to yourself since prices are obviously going to slide up and down depending on those factors. Waiting for a REI 20% off sale and getting one of those Igneo's might be a good deal...$240 for a 19 degree bag that's under 2 lbs isn't shabby

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 10, 2014

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Ropes4u posted:

Depends on what you mean by light and what you mean by 3 season. There's the Kelty Cosmic 20 for $160 on Amazon which weighs 2 lb 11 oz.

I'm in the process of making my own quilt, aiming for 20 degrees which means 2.5-3" of loft. That'll require about 1 lb of 850 fill power down (this means an oz of down takes up 850 cubic inches of space - the higher the number the better in this case) which I bought for $140. I spent $70 on the fabric and baffle material so we're already north of $200 and that doesn't include the hardware but more importantly the time needed to make it. I expect it to weigh around 22 oz when I'm done. Sure I could have gone cheaper by getting a lower fill power down but that adds weight. at 550 FP down would add about a half a pound. I could have also gone for a 30 degree bag with less loft and therefore less down but I wanted to make sure I was warm.

A full sleeping bag with the materials I am using would add roughly 50% more down and fabric so you can scale that up to $300 in materials alone. Obviously a big manufacturer will benefit from economies of scale but there's a reason they are so expensive. They can last a long time if taken care of properly and upgrading from a cheap down bag to a nice one can shave some significant weight off you back. Sadly they will cost you.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
E

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thank you for the suggestions,

I think a 20-30 degree bag that's around 2 pounds and less than 250 each would be ideal.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yay, I had a little bit of fun up here today! I managed to get out for about an hour before a BBQ, in Banff at the base of the west end of Mt. Rundle. I just followed random animal trails around and up in the forest by myself while some friends did a trail run. After a while, I encountered some very fresh grizzly bear scat nearing my turn around time, so I decided to head back to the car. When my friends returned, they had found the trail closed due to grizzly activity, and some wardens preparing a bear trap to relocate the animal. Interesting. Another day in the life in Banff.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Ropes4u posted:

Thank you for the suggestions,

I think a 20-30 degree bag that's around 2 pounds and less than 250 each would be ideal.

I think I paid 260ish for my Wm megalite off geartrade.com. If you watch, backcountry will put their returned but unused western bags up there with a nice discount, but you have to be willing to wait.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Canna Happy posted:

I think I paid 260ish for my Wm megalite off geartrade.com. If you watch, backcountry will put their returned but unused western bags up there with a nice discount, but you have to be willing to wait.

I didn't need to see that site, thanks!!

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces
While I love my ultralight backpacking gear, I usually invest the pounds that I carry in camera gear. Right now I'm taking a Canon T3i w/ kit lens or a 50mm prime on a knock-off BlackRapid strap and a neoprene body cover to save it from whacks through the bush. I also got a knock-off Gorillapod on Amazon for like $6 that's tits and saves me from having to carry a full-size tripod.

Not the most pro setup in the world, but it's a nice tradeoff between weight, affordability and image quality.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
The whole reason I buy light hiking/camping gear is so I can bring more/heavier camera gear... Been meaning to put something together about my hiking with photography gear.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Some shots from a dayhike we did at the end of our expedition. We went up from Spanish Bottom on the Colorado River to The Dollhouse in the Needles District of Canyonlands NP.

Hiking to the Dollhouse by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Moab Crew 2014 by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr I'm the chick in the rainbow top in the middle.

Feeling small by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

The Dollhouse by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

The Great Valley? by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

The crack by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
How the hell does Harmony House not have an equivalent in Canada? I mean, I frickin' love this order I got and it's replaced those sodium-heavy meal packs for the summer, but drat do I wish it hadn't cost me nearly double in shipping and duty. It's not like I can just get a freeze dryer either, the things are like $7000.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Rime posted:

How the hell does Harmony House not have an equivalent in Canada? I mean, I frickin' love this order I got and it's replaced those sodium-heavy meal packs for the summer, but drat do I wish it hadn't cost me nearly double in shipping and duty. It's not like I can just get a freeze dryer either, the things are like $7000.

Good grief!! Make your own freeze dried meals. Awe-drat-some! Pity I can't get them before I head to Joffre Lakes next week.

Any particularly good recipes for these?

If you're near the border, look for receiving services just on the other side (for Lower Mainland BC, I use Hagen's of Blaine - http://www.hagensofblaine.com/)

EDIT: Anyone know where I can get strong resealable bags as well (better still if I can cook in them like the Mountain House ones) - EDIT AGAIN: found them on their site

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 15, 2014

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI
A bit late on the camera talk. I went for a 30km overnighter last weekend with my D600, 24mm F/2.8D (nice, light wide-angle), 70-300mm zoom (not so light zoom) and a tripod. All up about 6kg of camera gear. Last time I lugged that gear into the middle of nowhere (minus the tripod and zoom, took a Joby Focus Gorillapod instead) I got some sweet shots of the Milky Way.

No such luck this time, skies were too cloudy at night and my hands got too cold touching anything to do with my camera at night...managed to basically ice the whole thing over. It survived the trip though.

I also take an AW100, although lack of manual controls and image quality let me down a bit, it was the perfect camera when I did the Overland Track in January (photos earlier in the thread) and it basically rained solidly for 4 days of hiking. I'd love to meet halfway and pick up something like an AW1, that seems like it would fit the bill perfectly for hiking.

I also recently picked up some "Ribz" front packs. I've been looking for a way to carry the camera accessibly without resorting to a dedicated toploader on a chest harness. I've got to say, it was great, had a water bottle and a bunch of other things, as well as all my camera gear in them and they were comfortable, didn't feel any weight at all, and made me pull out the camera a lot more than I would have otherwise.

Anyway, photo of where I actually went. I hiked from Honeysuckle Creek, along the Australian Alps Walking Track (probably better known as the Australian Alps Fire Trail...it was mostly pretty easy, albeit steep management road), and then deep into the Orroral Valley. The Valley of a Thousand Kangaroos. And wild dogs who kept me awake.

There is a lot of very cool history in this area. Honeysuckle Creek Tracking Station was the one that picked up the video transmission from the moon of Neil Armstrong leaving the Lunar Lander, and the Orroral Valley Tracking Station supported the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project, as well as the early Space Shuttle Missions.

It's a shame that both stations were completely pulled down in the 90's, and their dishes moved. I can't help thinking how utterly badass a derelict space tracking station complete with rusting dishes would look in the middle of the wilderness (well, they're actually relatively easily accessible...Honeysuckle Creek is a car-camping site), would certainly make for those great "star trails over an observatory/satellite dish because space, get it?" photos if anything.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Wow. What settings for the Milky Way shot?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've been slow at work today so all I've done today is looking at other peoples photos/videos of Pasayten trying to figure out our August trip.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Shrinking Universe posted:

Anyway, photo of where I actually went. I hiked from Honeysuckle Creek, along the Australian Alps Walking Track (probably better known as the Australian Alps Fire Trail...it was mostly pretty easy, albeit steep management road), and then deep into the Orroral Valley. The Valley of a Thousand Kangaroos. And wild dogs who kept me awake.

There is a lot of very cool history in this area. Honeysuckle Creek Tracking Station was the one that picked up the video transmission from the moon of Neil Armstrong leaving the Lunar Lander, and the Orroral Valley Tracking Station supported the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project, as well as the early Space Shuttle Missions.

It's a shame that both stations were completely pulled down in the 90's, and their dishes moved. I can't help thinking how utterly badass a derelict space tracking station complete with rusting dishes would look in the middle of the wilderness (well, they're actually relatively easily accessible...Honeysuckle Creek is a car-camping site), would certainly make for those great "star trails over an observatory/satellite dish because space, get it?" photos if anything.

You could always hike around ACT and see the original dish at the Canberra Deep Space Complex...

I know someone who got a chance to tour the back areas of the Woomera Range when they were down for some NASA liaison work, and according to them there's still tons of old wreckage, abandoned gantries, and other Cold War relics scattered around. Unfortunately its all still closed to the public, that'd be some amazing stuff to hike around in :sigh: .

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Nifty posted:

Took a 2-night trip to California's "Lost Coast" this past weekend. Up in Mendocino County, where they decided not to build the 1 highway as the terrain was far too rough for construction. Surprisingly the trail was pretty drat packed but it honestly had no affect on the experience as there were ample camp sites. Beautiful place! Hiking on sand/beach stone for half the 24-mile trail sucks though

Looks like an awesome hike. I'm making plans to go in September. Did you use a shuttle service to get back to the trailhead?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Anyone got anything to tell me about going to Crater Lake, probably for the weekend? Sites to see, etc.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Anyone got anything to tell me about going to Crater Lake, probably for the weekend? Sites to see, etc.

The Crater Lake main campgrounds are actually several miles from the lake, and have a big mosquito problem during the summer so bring your insect repellent. There's a second, smaller set of campgrounds that are farther down the road, but I never went there. The lake itself is gorgeous and definitely worth walking down to. The water is extremely cold, and it's fun to go watch bikini-clad Californians levitate out of the water shortly after entry. Cell phone service is spotty, and really the only place with reliable service is the old lodge at the Crater Rim (which is miles from the campground).

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI

Picnic Princess posted:

Wow. What settings for the Milky Way shot?

ISO: 1000
f/2.8 (wide open for that lense)
30s shutter

Got some usable ones at 800, f/3.2, 30s as well - shot in raw and boosted the exposure in post. In higher res, you can tell the star trails are beginning to form. Never really done that much of the sky at night, so I will experiment more next time I get a chance.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

You could always hike around ACT and see the original dish at the Canberra Deep Space Complex...

I know someone who got a chance to tour the back areas of the Woomera Range when they were down for some NASA liaison work, and according to them there's still tons of old wreckage, abandoned gantries, and other Cold War relics scattered around. Unfortunately its all still closed to the public, that'd be some amazing stuff to hike around in :sigh: .

Yeah, I love that place. I drag any visitors there. The museum is small but good. Cafe does good hotdogs too. All private land around it so no hiking though.

Wouldn't mind checking out more of the Centennial Trial they've built (well, connected up and signposted) around Canberra. Done most of the trails around Mt Ainslie/Mt Majura. Going to miss having all this in my backyard if I ever move back to Melbourne.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Looks like an awesome hike. I'm making plans to go in September. Did you use a shuttle service to get back to the trailhead?

Yep, used http://lostcoastadventures.com/ and he was friendly and accommodating. We missed a turn on the road there, and he worked with us to still get us on the trail that day. Make sure you pay attention and read the road signs. Also just be prepared to hike on sand and/or big rocks for like half the trail. The shuttle guy can help give you tips regarding the tide for that day too

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Holy poo poo are rental cars expensive in Seattle. Trying to put things together for our Cascades trip in august and apparently SEATAC tacks on a significant fee to make up for their lack of winter tourism so it looks like we will be taking the light rail into the city and picking up from there in order to save $450.

Mid SUV at the airport was around $700/week WITH coupons.
Mid SUV in the city was $250/week WITH coupons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I went out on Sunday to climb up a mountain cause I wanted to check out this giant cairn at the top.

Upon closer inspection it's loving huge.

Supposedly it was built in 1878 but no one really knows for sure. Ended up having to bushwhack far more than I expected, the trails didn't lead anywhere near the summit ridge.