Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

hcreight posted:

I um

So how about that Orphan Black?

Donnie motherfucking Hendrix :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So uh, apparently this is how Rick & Morty started? This is :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbTlK3perdI

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 15, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

So uh, apparently this is how Rick & Morty started?

Might wanna :nws: that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Josh Lyman posted:

So uh, apparently this is how Rick & Morty started?

Well that was completely terrible and unfunny and makes me glad I don't watch this show that's based on it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Deadpool posted:

Well that was completely terrible and unfunny and makes me glad I don't watch this show that's based on it.

It loses a lot without the context: Roiland was making a cartoon called House of Cosbys and he had to shut it down because of legal threats from Bill Cosby's estate, so the dude got pissed off and vented by going out of his way to make something that would piss off some corporate lawyers. In this case, making a cartoon where Marty licks Doc Brown's balls and jerks him off.

Justin Roiland is a very strange man but that was almost a decade ago. It's like deciding not to watch Community because Dan Harmon made Laser Fart.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 15, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the show is much funnier and cleverer than that.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Josh Lyman posted:

Every time I see it- I still can't believe it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

I grew up watching Hey Dude and Salute Your Shorts, so far be it for me to throw stones at kids who watch the Boy Meets Girl revival.

I'll give you that because I loved Hey Dude as a kid and when I saw it again for the first time in 20 years on that Nick 90's block I wondered what the gently caress I was thinking back then. But at least those shows didn't have a laugh track after literally every single line. Laughtracks to Disney sitcoms are like whipcracks to Johnny Test.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't watch Rick and Morty, now I don't want to watch Rick and Morty.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

Channel 101 was pretty loving hot garbage in general. There was also a very short-lived TV spinoff in the mid-2000s called "Acceptable.TV" where they had a bunch of lovely unfunny shorts and you were supposed to vote for which ones got a new episode the next week. I didn't know who Dan Harmon was back then, but knowing it now between those and The Sarah Silverman Program I have no idea how he gets people to keep letting him make TV shows.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Justin Roiland is a very strange man but that was almost a decade ago. It's like deciding not to watch Community because Dan Harmon made Laser Fart.

http://youtu.be/6rTetlYeZ18?t=1m51s

Also, if you want to associate Harmon with some bizarre pre-Community thing, you should make it Heat Vision and Jack.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yeah Rick and Morty is really good. You don't need to use Doc and Mharty to feel smug about not watching it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, the IRC tricked me into watching an episode of it, it was a dumpster fire of unfunny garbage.

Rarity posted:

Donnie motherfucking Hendrix :rock:

Helena. loving Helena. :black101:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Deadpool posted:

I recommend watching the actual show, especially "Love Potion #9" and "Rixty Minutes"

Oh and watch "Something Ricked Comes This Way" just for the ending alone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VEyVamLjYY

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Posting Family Guy-esque snippets of R&M is not really helping your case, guys.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I watched Rick and Morty. It was ok. Nothing special.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh rad now R&M is the new show it's cool to not watch. What'll be next? Are we all going to start hating on B99 in September?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bown posted:

Oh rad now R&M is the new show it's cool to not watch. What'll be next? Are we all going to start hating on B99 in September?
I will fight anyone who dares to.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bown posted:

I know nothing about that show except that video I quoted. But yeah I'm definitely a cool kid now because I don't watch it.

Here's a little tip, just because some people don't like the show you like it doesn't mean they're trying to act cool by not watching it. Some people just have different taste and that's the end of it. This is a thread where people can talk about shows they either like or dislike in order to make recommendations or tell people to stay away from shows. If every time a couple people say they don't like a show the fans of that show start whining about people not liking the show this thread would go to poo poo in a hurry.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

I recommend watching the actual show, especially "Love Potion #9" and "Rixty Minutes"

Oh and watch "Something Ricked Comes This Way" just for the ending alone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VEyVamLjYY

The guy they're beating up at the very start of the clip is literally the Devil.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Bill Cosby's estate

RIP Bill Cosby.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Whenever there's backlash against a one season show it's just people giving it a chance because of word of mouth. They weren't drawn in by the initial concept. Finding out that it in fact isn't your kind of show isn't a huge criticism. I enjoy Rick and Morty, but it isn't universally lovable television.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a difference between just mentioning you don't like a show and basically tripping over each other to mention how they might have liked it but well I thought it was bad, which tends to happen in this thread a whole bunch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Here's what I think happens. A show debuts or starts to make waves. A few poster speak up about it. That encourages a few more to check it out. A groundswell starts to form. The show now has a small fanbase in here and it becomes vocal. This draws the attention of even more posters who check it out. Eventually if enough people check it out due to the buzz some of them are going to dislike it. Just like the positive buzz might have taken a few people to spark it a negative buzz works the same way. After a lot of people praising the show someone says "I didn't like it." Now someone else feels safer saying "I didn't like it either" when they've been sitting on that because they didn't want to be a buzz kill. Then a third voice kicks in. Now you've got the counter.

Its not some "too cool for school" desire to break against the new cool thing. Its just that new cool thing won't be for everyone and just like you have people praising it you'll eventually get the equal and opposite reaction. Call it NeTVIVon's Third Law or something. When you get a string of people "tripping over themselves" to say they disliked something its probably just because they're responding to a string of people tripping over themselves to praise something.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 16, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I've watched Rick and Morty, and liked it, so I showed it to my sister, and she liked it, but my mom did not like it, even though she likes the Aeon Flux cartoon and has blue hair, while my sister is boring and does nothing cool.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

achillesforever6 posted:

I had never seen this show before now, and even though the clip I just watched wasn't particularly funny, it did however feature DMX so that automatically gives it a pass in my book.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
My girlfriend and I just ran through The Neighbors in the past couple weeks. It really had no right to be an enjoyable show, but it was. We're pretty disappointed it got canned.

Edit: Also, Jackie Joyner-Kersee was fantastic. Hopefully she gets some more work.

tk fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 16, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I enjoy Rick and Morty, but it isn't universally lovable television.

Its also an incredibly uneven show. Some episodes are brilliant. Some are merely average. And the pilot is unwatchable.

That said, anyone who likes old-timey adventure games needs to check out the Rick and Morty game on Cartoon Network's website. Its like Monkey Island, but funny.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is Friday Night Lights good? I keep hearing good things but they're completely non-specific. I just can't understand why there's so much acclaim for a high school drama (ugh) centred around american football (ugh)?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

VagueRant posted:

Is Friday Night Lights good? I keep hearing good things but they're completely non-specific. I just can't understand why there's so much acclaim for a high school drama (ugh) centred around american football (ugh)?

I think Division Post may have liked it, I'm not sure.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

VagueRant posted:

I'm not saying you'll be one of them, but plenty of people in your shoes have been knocked on their asses by FNL. You'll just have to watch it for yourself; I'm not saying you'll be impressed with the plot or anything, the core of it is very familiar and there are definitely moments of :rolleyes: teen drama :rolleyes:. But it carries itself with a certain verisimilitude that makes the show impossible to deny for most people, and everything hits harder as a result.

There's a reason why every producer in Hollywood was after Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton when the show was over, and why everyone flipped the gently caress out when Chandler got a surprise Emmy at the end of the show's run.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 16, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FNL is very good at tugging on your heartstrings. Not one of those shows you just throw on or watch while you're loving around on your phone or something. I recommend it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's an episode where they go to Mexico and try to bribe a cop. It can be a fun show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Whole lotta shows either coming back or premiering in the next several weeks.

Dominion (Series premiere on June 19th on Syfy)
Defiance (Season premiere on June 19th on Syfy)
Falling Skies (Season premiere on June 22nd on TNT)
The Last Ship (Series Premiere on June 22nd on TNT)
Tyrant (Series premiere on June 24th on FX)
The Leftovers (Series premiere on June 29th on HBO)
The Strain (Series premiere on July 18th on FX)

EDIT: Yep, had totally forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder, hollylolly.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 16, 2014

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Gonz posted:

Also Defiance season 2 on Syfy on June 19th.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gonz posted:

Defiance (Season premiere on June 19th on Syfy)

EDIT: Yep, had totally forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder, hollylolly.

Every one of those save one is a genre show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Strong Belwas, and Coldhands, and Lady Stoneheart, and all your favorite characters, in the books, and you yourselves show watchers."
Luke 13:28

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

VagueRant posted:

All I can tell you is that I tried watching the pilot right when the CTE news was really heating up a few years back and it made it basically unwatchable. Even taking that out it was scattershot at best. Maybe it picks up after the first ep? Like you I've had it endlessly breathlessly recommended to me (except for season 2 which everyone pretends didn't happen) so maybe I was expecting too much.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The pilot sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Every one of those save one is a genre show.

As opposed to?

• Locked thread