Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

43 cars for 43 spots at Sears Point for the second year in a row with exactly one road course ringer - Boris Said in the #32. Kind of surprising since we saw five or six drivers make their Cup debut here in 2013. Alex Kennedy makes his second start of the season in Circle Sport's #33. Randy Humphrey's #77 team is skipping the race, which is too bad - I wanted to learn more about those guys. BUT we do get the DogeCoin car for Josh Wise and Michael McDowell makes his first start since the 600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirborneSpore
Mar 2, 2014

That one bounced.

LASTCAR posted:

BUT we do get the DogeCoin car for Josh Wise and Michael McDowell makes his first start since the 600.

Best $26.00 I spent on Nascar this year.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.

LASTCAR posted:

43 cars for 43 spots at Sears Point for the second year in a row with exactly one road course ringer - Boris Said in the #32.

Woo! SaidHeads unite. I'll keep my eyes open for you Sunday.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Carlos Contreras is in the 44 for Road America sponsored by 38 Special.

Is that .38 Special the band?

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Carlos Contreras is in the 44 for Road America sponsored by 38 Special.

Is that .38 Special the band?

38 Special filtered cigars. Kind of confused as to how that is an allowed sponsor yet cigarettes and dip aren't allowed.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's complicated, but only the signatories to the master settlement have to obey some of the advertising rules. I think the FDA banned smokeless tobacco advertising completely, regardless of brand, but cigars are still ok? Its weird.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Furniture Row needs to pick up a weed store associate sponsor

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Exi7wound posted:

Woo! SaidHeads unite. I'll keep my eyes open for you Sunday.

I'm all for a good run for Boris but is there any doubt the #32 will be in the garage somewhere around the halfway point with transmission failure or something like that? I just don't see it happening for Boris anymore, or any "roadcourse ringer" for that matter. There are too many good drivers that are good on these lefty/righty tracks as well as full time guys like Ambrose and Allmendinger that are basically ringers in their own right. Judging from the entry list it looks like a lot of teams feel the same way. I think the roadcourse ringer is dead, at least in good equipment at the top level.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah there's no point. Is Said as good as Smoke, Gordon, Kyle, Kes, or some of those other guys? Smoke almost won the 24 in Daytona overall his first try out.

That poo poo was dumb in its heyday, they used to just get spanked by Earnhardt, Rudd, Wallace etc back in the 90's too. It's just a waste of a seat.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Boris Said sucks rear end.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Yeah there is no real success for any of the roadcourse guys but I remember there were like 2 years there where Boris was getting like top notch Roush equipment to try and win one for services rendered in teaching the Roush guys how to turn right and even then he couldn't really come that close to winning one.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Like anyone can actually make money being a professional sports car racer anyway. Is Paul Menard going to buy two seats instead?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

LASTCAR posted:

43 cars for 43 spots at Sears Point for the second year in a row with exactly one road course ringer - Boris Said in the #32. Kind of surprising since we saw five or six drivers make their Cup debut here in 2013.

Be in poo poo equipment and no chance to win at Sonoma or have a chance in great equipment at Road America with lesser drivers to boot. Makes the decision easy. That and just less ringers. Only Justin Marks, Alex Tagliani, and Carlos Contreras that I could count as ringers.

VikingSkull posted:

Smoke almost won the 24 in Daytona overall his first try out.

2002 was Stewart's first run and yeah did well when the car didn't crap out on them. 04 yes he almost did. :eng101:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Was 04 when he was leading and the suspension broke, and they fixed it with a 2x4? If so, my mistake.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Boris Said sucks rear end.

This, quoted forever. gently caress Boris Said, he is loving garbage.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Boris Said owns, hes got stupid hair and he crashes into poo poo and pisses regulars and old boys off. That rules.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Cygni posted:

Boris Said owns, hes got stupid hair and he crashes into poo poo and pisses regulars and old boys off. That rules.

Yes, this.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Boris Said almost won at Daytona once and I'm infinitely sad he did not.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Was 04 when he was leading and the suspension broke, and they fixed it with a 2x4? If so, my mistake.

Yeah 2004 was that year. He did 2002 in a prototype and was actually a bit fast.

http://www.racing-reference.info/race/2002_Rolex_24_at_Daytona/GA

You'll also notice several other NASCAR drivers like Harvick in this race.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Priorities.jpg. I have a very understanding wife.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Which one of you is Jim Noble from PRN? Because you just trolled the poo poo out of some dumb redneck on SiriusXM who was arguing that Mario Andretti should be in the HoF because he was the first foreign driver to win a Cup race, and that several others should be in on the same grounds.

Cygni posted:

It's complicated, but only the signatories to the master settlement have to obey some of the advertising rules. I think the FDA banned smokeless tobacco advertising completely, regardless of brand, but cigars are still ok? Its weird.

Then how does Smoky Mountain Herbal Snuff get away with being a sponsor in Trucks?

VikingSkull posted:

That poo poo was dumb in its heyday, they used to just get spanked by Earnhardt, Rudd, Wallace etc back in the 90's too. It's just a waste of a seat.

I think Ron Fellows finished second to Gordon once at the Glen in NEMCO equipment & again in DEI gear to Smoke in 2004.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 17, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CBJSprague24 posted:

Then how does Smoky Mountain Herbal Snuff get away with being a sponsor in Trucks?

Honestly don't know, i used to pay way more attention to all that stuff when the tobacco companies were still in racing. I do remember in like 2010 or something the FDA banning the 'smokeless tobaccos' because Red Man was still sponsoring in Nationwide.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

devmd01 posted:

Priorities.jpg. I have a very understanding wife.

You aren't bringing her with you?

At least you're not having to work on your anniversary on a weekend for 12 hours. That's way more fun to try and get understanding on.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Slickdrac posted:

You aren't bringing her with you?

...she'll be 39 weeks pregnant at that point too. :v:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Gotta start em out early

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Anyone else here going to Elko to watch some ARCA short track mayhem this Saturday?

e: hey SRA are you racing at Elko? Don't see you on the entry list.

gret fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 17, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Gordon's Panasonic sponsorship is official. He'll run the paint scheme at Sonoma and Atlanta.

So what the hell will be on the 24 at Dover and (I think) NHIS? HendrickCars.com?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Can't wait to see King Hiro at a Cup race. This will be great.

(Hiro owns, he basically pays for all this stuff out of pocket)

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Which one of you is Jim Noble from PRN? Because you just trolled the poo poo out of some dumb redneck on SiriusXM who was arguing that Mario Andretti should be in the HoF because he was the first foreign driver to win a Cup race, and that several others should be in on the same grounds.

I think Ron Fellows finished second to Gordon once at the Glen in NEMCO equipment & again in DEI gear to Smoke in 2004.

Smoky Mountain Herbal Snuff is tobacoo free dip. So it's obviously allowed.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

"I..UH..GOTTA BE HONEST WITH YOU...THAT UH..CHOCALATE MEYERS...HE'S A REALLY BAD COHOST I TELL YA WHAT. I UH..DIDN'T LIKE GOING TO JAPAN FOR NASCAR RACING.."

They've got some really bad hosts on there. Dave Moody is a propagandist for NASCAR to the worst degree. He's Skip Bayless-level troll, except at least Skip Bayless occasionally criticizes the sports he covers. The poo poo he said about Willy T. Ribbs proves how much of a douche bag he is.

He indirectly insulted LASTCAR two years back as well.

Also Mario Andretti is too cool for that place. As is Gurney, Foyt, and Parnelli, etc.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 18, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

To be fair, the caller was irritated Wendell Scott made the HoF, and Noble's perspective was that his record wasn't impressive, but what he did in the face of the poo poo he had to put up with (being a black driver in a Southern sport in the 1960s, let alone making friends with drivers and winning) made him worthy.

He also thought JPM and Franchitti should be eligible because they came over from Indy to NASCAR.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Anybody who thinks the HoF is relevant this many years in without Smokey in it is retarded.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

Gotta start em out early

I went to an outlaws race when my mother was pregnant with me. I was brought up right.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Gordon's Panasonic sponsorship is official. He'll run the paint scheme at Sonoma and Atlanta.

So what the hell will be on the 24 at Dover and (I think) NHIS? HendrickCars.com?

Probably either AARP or Axalta will do something. That or DC Comics has planned out a scheme for each team and Dover will be where Gordon gets his car.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Anybody who thinks the HoF is relevant this many years in without Smokey in it is retarded.

quoting this.

That and like every member of the France Family is in it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
if they had any balls they would have put Big Bill and Smokey in together so they can throw hammers at each other in the afterlife

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

FuzzySkinner posted:

The poo poo he said about Willy T. Ribbs proves how much of a douche bag he is.

What did he say?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bhester posted:

What did he say?

Ribbs was very critical of NASCAR because they kind of treated him like trash.

(The story goes he wasn't given a ride at the 600 in 1978 because of a "traffic ticket", the ride was then given to a young Dale Earnhardt. Also apparently he was treated like poo poo in the truck series)

Moody responded by calling him a "Nobody", which is incredibly thick headed when you consider his success in Trans Am.

I do really think guys like Moody are a part of the problem with NASCAR.

AirborneSpore
Mar 2, 2014

That one bounced.
Ribbs had every right to be critical. Nascar did everything they could to get rid of Ribbs.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Often Imitated, Never Duplicated World of Outlawwwwws are on CBSSN right now.

"Yard Sale" said by Dave Rieff. :lol:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Often Imitated, Never Duplicated World of Outlawwwwws are on CBSSN right now.

Kerry Madsen is the Will Power of WOO.

Follow up, I had no idea Australia had WOO. Badass. I seem to recall the aforementioned power posting something about his dad running dirt tracks, but I didn't take it very seriously.

• Locked thread