Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Vanagoon posted:

"Netbust"

I still have an old Optiplex and it's got a Prescott Core P4 in it. The stupid thing is annoyingly slow despite running at 2.8GHz.
POS just sits in the closet of junk most of the time. I probably should just bin it but I like having extra computers around.

God that was such a miserable architecture. For some reason my high school had a QuickBASIC course and I tried to take my final project code home (I made a lovely version of the Dragon Quest monster fights where you could bet on them!) and discovered that my AMD Athlon 2800+ ran the drat thing way too quickly. We were required to use timing things in it so it would do some number of operations and it turns out that the numbers I'd used were a couple orders of magnitude too small for the better architecture.

Goddamn hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
... QuickBASIC had proper timing tools...

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Shugojin posted:

God that was such a miserable architecture. For some reason my high school had a QuickBASIC course and I tried to take my final project code home (I made a lovely version of the Dragon Quest monster fights where you could bet on them!) and discovered that my AMD Athlon 2800+ ran the drat thing way too quickly. We were required to use timing things in it so it would do some number of operations and it turns out that the numbers I'd used were a couple orders of magnitude too small for the better architecture.

Goddamn hilarious.

Hehehehehe, this brings back the old days. When There was no Pentium M and if you wanted to build a gaming laptop you had to use Pentium 4 Mobiles which was basically a desktop processor on a laptop package.

http://books.google.com.pa/books?id...0mobile&f=false

These abominations cost more than a Salarian testicle transplant and would probably make you sterile if you set the machine on your lap.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Keiya posted:

... QuickBASIC had proper timing tools...

Look man it was high school and we used what we were told to use, good idea or not, teacher knowing what the gently caress or not.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Saw this while reading Married to the Sea and it made me think of this thread.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Keiya posted:

How is that surprising at all? They had a need for things like a nice, friendly installer, they wrote it, and they offered it upstream if upstream wanted it. That's how basically everything gets done.

Mostly because it seems like it should be an obscure and eventually abandoned project; finding out they've become the educational face of Debian and are still producing generally useful code wasn't quite what I expected.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

TerryLennox posted:

Hehehehehe, this brings back the old days. When There was no Pentium M and if you wanted to build a gaming laptop you had to use Pentium 4 Mobiles which was basically a desktop processor on a laptop package.

http://books.google.com.pa/books?id...0mobile&f=false

These abominations cost more than a Salarian testicle transplant and would probably make you sterile if you set the machine on your lap.

Not as bad as the time period where they tried to put the 9800M into everything as a video card. That card runs somewhere between the heat levels of "Unceasing Hellfire" and "Raging Inferno of the Damned". Pretty much every company was throwing huge piles of money at Nvidia for those things and then the computers they were in would last like a year tops because they would get burned out by how hot the card was. Rumor has it that its one of the things that made them go and make their current generation of mobile cards run so cold and ALSO what drove AMD to make the whole GPU concept.

Heat and laptops don't mix. Not even Apple was smart enough to realize this ("Lets make a computer that has a really hot graphics card and processor and have it use the body as a heat sink!"). But Jobs has had a long history of not caring about heat. One of the early Apples had no fans because Jobs hated fan noise, so it got so hot inside of it that it would warp the plastic and unseat the RAM and other components.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The Apple III

It was designed to follow up on the Apple II, which was a booming success for the company at the time.
It also marked Job's foray into trying to work around annoyances of computer's of the 80's, such as noise so no fan for you!

It even came with an optional Silentype Thermal printer.

The entire case is pretty much a lump of aluminum, that was costly to mill and provided issues with fitting in the motherboard. It was also cramped and despite later models having sinks, the thing turned in to a little desk-heater.

It got so hot that chips started to warp out of their sockets and one story has people finding melted disks upon ejection. The quick fix was to lift the system up an inch, then drop, in the hopes to reseat the chips.

There were more problems, such as deliberately hobbled Apple II emulation and real-time clocks that would fail, and result in the whole unit needing to be replaced as the chips had been soldered directly to the board. It quickly got written off as a failure in which Steve W blamed Apple's marketing department.

The Power Mac G4 Cube.

A fantastic example of form over function It was meant to be an in-between for the iMac and the PowerMac..

New (in 2001) this cost $1799 and had a 450MHz G4 processor, 64MB of RAM, a 20GB hard drive, a DVD-ROM drive, and an internal 56 k modem.
A PowerMac G4 cost $200 less, had the same specs and could be upgraded.

Formwise, the plastic in the early models tended to crack or have mold lines. The flat surface meant it was tempting to put things that could roll into the vent and the convection heating made it a natural magnet for the cat.

It suffered heavily from having the sense of being an overpriced piece of art and despite Apple upgrading it to have a CD-RW and a faster graphics card (that had to be designed to squeeze in) along with bundling it with software it failed to catch on and was "put on ice".

Hackers have had fun with it, upgrading the guts, adding lights and converting it into all manner of things like tissue boxes or fishtanks.

The Mac Mini is widely seen as the successor to the cube, it seems to even share the same footprint.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

On the subject of failed machines, anyone remember this?

The Go-L Mach system.

Appearing in 2004 this pretty much was the wet-dream of any PC enthusiast at the time. It cost between $4000 to $7000 depending on what you ordered.
But what made this was the sheer guff of the advertising surrounding it. All PR was coated with deliciously fancy nonsensical terms; such as it's SuperBios that featured "Intelligent Bios Priority Threading" which was a real-time speed adjustment.

The top-end specs were 4B of DDR RAM, that was coupled to a RAM Drive (called PuRAM powered by something called CacheFlow) for a max of 16GB and powered by an Intel 4, 3.8ghz processor (with Hyper-threading!) and 1TB of storage (some sources go up to 2). Graphics were a ATI Radeon™ 9800 Pro that linked up to a "Grand Canyon View" array of up to 8 monitors.

Apparently it had a fridge system as a cooler that it kept cool at -35c:
"The most spectacular cooling system ever built using vapor compression cycle, is capable of removing CPU's heat over 50 times more efficiently than any air cooling solution."

Or the fact it claimed to come with a fuel cell battery that would give you 24 hours off power.
You could even pick what kind of rock you wanted the case logo to be carved from.

The site is so much fun to read through. It has tons of little animations.

Of course the maxim of "it's too good to be true" became true when the company kept on complaining that Intel wasn't producing the chips required to meet demand. Even more damning was a teardown in MaximumPC.

They were a bit weary as it was lacking many of the bells and whistles, and what it had onboard was not much more than off the shelf components anyone could obtain and a worryingly overclocked CPU. Plus the internals were pretty ramshackle in their assembly.

Then like all good things they just vanished in 2005 with no trace. Who knows how many people dropped $7000 to pre-order one of these. Reportedly it was a one-man deal, complete with threats to reporters.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Well, the cooling system was very real: http://www.trustedreviews.com/Asetek-VapoChill-XE-II-Refrigerated-PC-Case_Peripheral_review but happily CPUs in general turned down the heat, so only nerds and gamers do watercooling :)

and yeah, i remember the Go-L poo poo. the best part was the many forum posts claiming to have bought a system or at the least having ordered it, and then nobody ever followed through.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Hahah So Go-L just used the Asetek case and stuck a little L logo and a swish LED monitor on the front. That case was around $900 new. Makes the PR rubbish even more fantastical.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Computer viking posted:

the educational face of Debian and are still producing generally useful code

Nothing related to Debian has ever produced useful code.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Not as bad as the time period where they tried to put the 9800M into everything as a video card. That card runs somewhere between the heat levels of "Unceasing Hellfire" and "Raging Inferno of the Damned".
Was that the one that got so hot it would desolder the processor?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

WebDog posted:

The site is so much fun to read through. It has tons of little animations.

As I was looking around, that site layout seemed really familiar. Then I looked it up and yep:

https://web.archive.org/web/20031202030033/http://www.apple.com/powermac/

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
About to give my last revision PowerMac G5 to my mate. Reading all the hype again makes me want to keep it a bit, but it's a bloody dog compared to an i5.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Ron Burgundy posted:

About to give my last revision PowerMac G5 to my mate. Reading all the hype again makes me want to keep it a bit, but it's a bloody dog compared to an i5.

I decided to go hog wild when I switched to a Mac and bought a G5. I got the dual 2.5 which was the top of the line at the time. Those things were monstrous. It probably weighed about 50 lbs. Liquid cooled with about ten fans in it. It served well as a space heater. Unfortunately it aged pretty quickly and loved to burn up the huge and expensive proprietary power supply often.

I gave up on it after the third power supply. I still have the case around somewhere. It really was a beautiful piece of hardware and I'd like to put some modern PC guts in it someday. Has anybody ever attempted that? There's a lot of really thick metal in there that needs to be cut away in order to mount a different mobo.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Was this posted? The P38 can opener.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Has anybody ever attempted that? There's a lot of really thick metal in there that needs to be cut away in order to mount a different mobo.
A mate of mind did just that. It requires a fair bit of sawing to fit in the motherboard, which won't line up out the back correctly, as well as rewiring all of the ports. Someone's done a very good pictorial on what you have to do to get it all to work.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

indoflaven posted:

Explain.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Possibly "the best" as despite it being obsolete with MRE rations, it's still a fantastically rugged design that still works well?
In Australia we had the Church Key style which were a bane on any camping trip as they usually were combined into this monstrosity.

It's a little wonder why early tinned food had people desperately stabbing it with bayonets or in some cases trying to shoot them open.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

?

:confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A lot of canned food doesn't have the ring for two reasons:

1) It's cheaper to make without the ring.
2) They haven't been making ones with the ring for all that long and a lot of canned food is old :eyepop:

Bonus: The ring sometimes comes off if the can is handled roughly.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I would be willing to bet :10bux: that when you're making enough canned food for 12.2 Million people (probably more, if you include allied armies and civilian relief), that making cans with a regular lid and including a p-38 for each crate is a more efficient use of steel.

Sure, now it's obsolete with modern thermoplastic packaging, but pull-tab rings are not the reason.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

WebDog posted:

Possibly "the best" as despite it being obsolete with MRE rations, it's still a fantastically rugged design that still works well?
In Australia we had the Church Key style which were a bane on any camping trip as they usually were combined into this monstrosity.

It's a little wonder why early tinned food had people desperately stabbing it with bayonets or in some cases trying to shoot them open.

OK, really? A can opener?

Guys check out this piece of poo poo:

It's like looking into the loving stone age!

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

indoflaven posted:

The Australian version called a Field Ration Eating Device or FRED has a spoon at the end.

Not surprisingly it is often jokingly referred to as the loving Ridiculous Eating Device

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

GWBBQ posted:

Was that the one that got so hot it would desolder the processor?

I dunno if it could desolder anything but it definitely burned through all the thermal grease on my friends Asus laptop. That laptop was a piece of poo poo (the G50V) it had a false fan on the bottom of it, and pretty much every problem with the drat thing could be solved by drilling some holes through the false vent. I'm not sure why Asus didn't do this themselves, since, uh, THE MAIN FAN FROM THE loving PROCESSOR BLOWS DOWN RIGHT INTO THE FALSE VENT. It also had terribly inefficient heat piping in it where it redirected all the heat to the fan that was supposed to be exhausting heat from the video card. His 6 year old daughter used to put her stuffed animals right next to the vent because it would heat them up to like ~100+ degrees and the fan exhaust once melted a bag of whoppers that was about six inches from the computer into a solid lump.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The Thinkpad X Series Tablets that I've scrounged up have all had this black tape covering some of the vents on the bottom and it's also stuck all over the loving motherboard. I looked at them carefully when removing the boards, didn't see anything that looked like it would short out and ripped out every bit of that crap and I haven't had a bit of problem with them.

That and the giant sticker on top of the Intel Wifi Cards, what is this poo poo? What, are we trying to make the wireless card overheat on purpose?

You wouldn't believe the mountain of tape and stickers I removed from the inside of these things. drat it, Lenovo. I get about a 10 degree reduction in temps from doing this alone.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Ron Burgundy posted:

The Australian version called a Field Ration Eating Device or FRED has a spoon at the end.

Not surprisingly it is often jokingly referred to as the loving Ridiculous Eating Device

Looks like you'd stab yourself in the face with every spoonful.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

indoflaven posted:

I used to keep one on my keychain. One day it opened in my pocket when I pulled out my keys. Ripped the pocket out of my pants and made a 2" gouge in my thigh.

No more P38's for me.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looks like you'd stab yourself in the face with every spoonful.

The sharp bit folds down on that style of can opener, so it would be flat against the handle while eating. You still have to be careful because it doesn't exactly lock in place. Anyone who attached a P-38 to their dog tag chain is very familiar with that. :gonk:

Fake edit: ^ See what I mean?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

As I was looking around, that site layout seemed really familiar. Then I looked it up and yep:

https://web.archive.org/web/20031202030033/http://www.apple.com/powermac/

Wow, Jon Rubinstein in the intro video and everything.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Dewgy posted:

Is the screwdriver older than the can opener?

I'm not going to look it up just yet, anyone care to throw their thoughts in?

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Dewgy posted:

It really is. The only good thing philips screws are good for is drywall because you want it to strip out. It is probably the worst screw design there is. At least flat blade, or standard or slot, looks somewhat nice if external and can be operated with just about anything flat. They should be obsolete but people still loving use them.

Robertson has been around for over 100 years and is better than any screw type there is, without getting into cap screws. I would love to never have to use a philips or slot screw again.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Computer viking posted:

Skolelinux lives on, and is these days also known as Debian Edu. More surprising, they did a lot of the original code for the current debian installer (and a fair bit of work for the linux terminal server project).

Well, I'll be damned. I still don't like it very much. Too many bad experiences, even though it was fun to gently caress up other students.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

DocCynical posted:

It really is. The only good thing philips screws are good for is drywall because you want it to strip out. It is probably the worst screw design there is. At least flat blade, or standard or slot, looks somewhat nice if external and can be operated with just about anything flat. They should be obsolete but people still loving use them.

Robertson has been around for over 100 years and is better than any screw type there is, without getting into cap screws. I would love to never have to use a philips or slot screw again.

Ditto, hell, Phillips were literally designed so that they'd strip if there is too much torque. Fine if you need a one-and-done screwdriver; not so much if you need to take stuff apart and back together again.

Slot screws have the problem of being easy to slip out of the groove and only working if it's sitting at the right angle (versus the screw or driver naturally guiding you to the right angle), but it won't strip so drat easily.

Robertson is where it's at, get on our level USA. :canada:

Now if only consumer products could use them...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Flat is also good for opening paint. Phillips is loving abysmal at everything, Robertson forever.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

WebDog posted:

A mate of mind did just that. It requires a fair bit of sawing to fit in the motherboard, which won't line up out the back correctly, as well as rewiring all of the ports. Someone's done a very good pictorial on what you have to do to get it all to work.

That's about what I was imagining. I may have to attempt it in the near future. My present PC is almost worthy of this thread. I'm still sporting a 2.6 dual core and an old 9600gt. Its showing its age in a bad way. Its noticeably chuggy these days and modern games are pretty much hopeless. Still runs tf2 like a champ though.

Philips screws won't give you as much grief if you use a proper sized, good quality screwdriver. By that I mean the sort with the grippy ridges down in the slots. Less slippage = less stripped screws.

Grumbletron 4000 has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Jun 18, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Flat's also pretty good for shivving.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sir_Substance posted:

I'm not going to look it up just yet, anyone care to throw their thoughts in?

Yes, it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Sir_Substance posted:

The can was invented like a hundred years before the can opener. You had to stab them with whatever was handy, which might have been a screwdriver.