Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

dscruffy1 posted:

One beefy ammo bag usually takes me through either two thirds or three fourths of the safe deposit boxes in bank heist. My sawing must be sub-par if you're getting through in one bag.

I usually have ammo in it to spare. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Can the aced Martial Artist skill save you from being jumpkicked to death by a Cloaker on any difficulty? It's the only reason I can think of to take it.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Three of us doing missions... leading to a pubbie taking the fourth spot. We were prepared for doom when we found out that our pubbie fourth had no ammo bags, no medic bags.. but two sentry guns. Thankfully, his skills in game were much better then his skills in making build and life decisions

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 17, 2014

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Makky posted:

I recently started playing this game again after a long hiatus (the last time I played was when smooth talker and dominator were highly desirable for stealth). I'm still unsure of how the stealth mechanics have all changed. On some missions, killing guards seems to bring in more. Is there a threshold to this? Is it only on certain maps? I'd like to know which jobs I should avoid killing guards on and which ones I can safely kill guards on (I know the bank heists and the jewelry/diamond store ones don't respawn).

I'm the same - can anyone give an overview on how to do stealth with these revised pager and respawning guards stuff?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr Beens posted:

I'm the same - can anyone give an overview on how to do stealth with these revised pager and respawning guards stuff?

My pleasure. If you have any questions after reading this, or want to run a map you're having problems with, just let me know or hit me up on mumble.

Mechanics changes:

Pagers: There are now 4 pager responses for all players- no skills required. However, a guard's pager will immediately go off when they are dominated, making that skill almost useless in stealth.

Bodybags: There are now limited bodybags. You can see how many you have by pressing the tab key and looking in the lower right corner of the screen. Everyone starts with 1 bag- by buying the cleaner skill, players can purchase a bodybags asset that places three more bodybags you can pick up at spawn. Acing Cleaner will make you spawn with a second bodybag.

Smooth Talker: Since everyone can answer 4 pagers, this skill is replaced with the Spotter skill. Basic spotter lets your team do more damage to special enemies you highlight- Aced, Spotter lets you buy an asset on some stealth maps that will highlight some guards in the map at varying intervals. Both levels of this skill are very useful.

Stealth maps are roughly divided into three types:

<5 Guard Maps (Bank Heists, Diamond Store, etc)
These maps have no more than 4 guards. No more guards spawn. As a result, with careful planning, you can lock the map down and be completely safe. These operate much the same way they did before the updates.

Check-in Guard Maps (Big Oil 2, Framing Frame 1 and 3, etc)
These maps have way more than 4 guards- there's no way to completely lock things down. In addition, once you kill a certain number of guards (usually 3), a special guard I call the "check-in guard" will appear. Bain will talk about additional security arriving when this happens. The check-in guard will spawn from some unique place in the map and follow one of several paths through the map, periodically calling in to confirm that everything is all right. This path usually includes areas other guards don't check, particularly areas near the sapwn, so you have to watch out for this guard! Despite their frequent calls home, it's safe to kill and bag this guard just like any other. Eventually, the check-in guard will leave the map, but be warned! They will periodically come back and retrace some of the first parts of their route.

Weird Maps (Firestarter 2, Big Oil 1, Shadow Raid)

A couple maps have different guard spawn rules. Infamously, Firestarter Day 2 will spawn 2 additional guards from the elevators for every guard you kill! Big Oil 1 involves dealing with criminal enemies, who don't have pagers. Even though there are way more than 4 guards, there are no pagers to answer so it's possible (but difficult) to clear the map. Shadow Raid has a ton of normal guards, plus there's a 50% chance of a spawn about 5-6 minutes after entering the facility that will flood the area near the security room with 4 additional guards.

The Bottom Line: Aced Cleaner is now always a good idea for stealth. On maps with four guards or less, cleaning out the map is fine- on higher level maps, this is impossible, so killing a guard is a decision you should weigh carefully. In maps with more guards, stealth is now less about opportunistic killing and more about getting around without being seen. This is easier to do in the more recent maps, Election Day and Shadow Raid, because they were built with this approach in mind. earlier maps, especially Big Oil Day 2 and Framing Frame Day 3, are somewhat more frustrating to clear in stealth, although it's still doable and mostly skill-dependent. As always with Payday, a great deal of your success in stealth boils down to learning the quirks of individual heists, and finding strategies that exploit those quirks.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 17, 2014

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
i love the ragdoll in this game

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

Discendo Vox posted:

Big Oil 1 involves dealing with criminal enemies, who don't have pagers. Even though there are way more than 4 guards, there are no pagers to answer so it's possible (but difficult) to clear the map.

Not as much as you'd think! It's very quick and simple to pull off once you know how it works. Maintaining stealth relies on no loud weapons going off, which is to say that if you or an enemy fire an unsuppressed weapon, the cops get called immediately and the stealth part of the mission is over. This also has the side effect of making the saw alert the cops. There's not all that many people in the house (unless you get the drug deal event) and there's never more than a few in any given room, so it's just a matter of getting the drop on them and being able to take them down before they can let off any shots. The bikers are unique in that they have 80 health, and so it's the only heist where I'd recommend using a stealth AK. I only recommend this if you have the parts to get the 7.62 up to 40 damage while silenced, which'll let you kill any biker in 2 shots if they spot you and you lose the damage buff against unaware enemies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saAA5iZqQ1E
(This is going just based off of overkill difficulty experience and not death wish.)
e: Oh, the only increased threat on deathwish is just 3 guards outside and increased chance for a drug deal to be going down. Just ran through it a few times and 3 more guards isn't that bad.

Thank You Card fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 17, 2014

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Can the aced Martial Artist skill save you from being jumpkicked to death by a Cloaker on any difficulty? It's the only reason I can think of to take it.

Probably not, the Cloaker jumpkick doesn't do damage so much as it puts you into a special downed state

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Discendo Vox posted:

Stealth maps are roughly divided into three types:

<5 Guard Maps (Bank Heists, Diamond Store, etc)
These maps have no more than 4 guards. No more guards spawn. As a result, with careful planning, you can lock the map down and be completely safe. These operate much the same way they did before the updates.

Just want to add that Ukrainian Job, while using the Jewelery Store heist as a base, can in fact have five guards on Overkill. Luckily we were able to C4 the tiara and escape before the van drove off.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Steam store updated. DLC is out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
DLC is out to buy as of now, but the actual update/patch hasn't gone live quite yet.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I own this now.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

DLC is out to buy as of now, but the actual update/patch hasn't gone live quite yet.

It patched for me and a few other people.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

King Vidiot posted:

I think they've released it as of 11:32 AM Eastern Time. I've got a 706 mb patch sitting in my download queue (that is stopping and starting with annoying frequency).

But I too own this now.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Acquire Currency! posted:

I own this now.

I do as well. Honestly, I wouldn't pay 7$ for DLC for most games. But Paydays been very fun for me these last few months, and I got everything else really cheap from sales.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The achievements don't appear to be live yet? I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to make my FAL look rad as gently caress so this is important

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Can someone post the in-game stats for the FAL? I want to know how disappointed I should be.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I await the dlc reviews from y'all.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Really helpful stuff man thanks. One question though, when you say 'four pagers for all players' does that mean four pagers BETWEEN all players, or four pagers PER player?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Pierson posted:

Really helpful stuff man thanks. One question though, when you say 'four pagers for all players' does that mean four pagers BETWEEN all players, or four pagers PER player?

It's the first one. Four pagers maximum. The 5th even if answered is an automatic alarm.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Jumpoff posted:

Can someone post the in-game stats for the FAL? I want to know how disappointed I should be.

It's nearly identical to the SCAR-H/Eagle so it's pretty good

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bolow posted:

It's nearly identical to the SCAR-H/Eagle so it's pretty lovely

ftfy

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Bolow posted:

Really, it looks like it has better damage and stability than either the Eagle or the Car. Lower accuracy and ammo capacity though. Guess I'll need to see how it can be modded.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Bolow posted:

That is a huge disappointment.
I'm interested to see if the mods can make it worthwhile (minus ammo concerns) but at least it starts out with good damage.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is the goon group still populated? I'd love to try some of the new stealth stuff and heists but gently caress pubbies.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Pierson posted:

Is the goon group still populated? I'd love to try some of the new stealth stuff and heists but gently caress pubbies.

Just jump into the Mumble and see if anyone's there, most of the time you can find someone.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Really, it looks like it has better damage and stability than either the Eagle or the Car. Lower accuracy and ammo capacity though. Guess I'll need to see how it can be modded.

It is drat versatile which is the FN FAL's sales pitch. It's heavily moddable. It is like 6 guns for the price of one and doesn't require you to buy weapon parts.

That said, the big bank heist is doable without assets but having assets turns a run of the mill heist to something clean and precise.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It isn't versatile at all. It's a reskin of the Eagle with the same drat limitations. It has a few more pieces to it but that doesn't change the fact that it's still the same piece of poo poo we got before.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

McSpanky posted:

The only reason I have aced Martial Arts is to get to 18 points (or the tier 4 bonus), and it might marginally help in my tanky-ness.

Truant
Oct 23, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Can the aced Martial Artist skill save you from being jumpkicked to death by a Cloaker on any difficulty?

No.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Skoll posted:

It isn't versatile at all. It's a reskin of the Eagle with the same drat limitations. It has a few more pieces to it but that doesn't change the fact that it's still the same piece of poo poo we got before.

So it's perfectly viable for literally anything that isn't Deathwish basically

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Bolow posted:

The problem with the Eagle is that its stats are broken. The + and - stats on the mods never match up with the stats once you add it, so its impossible to know which if any numbers are real. More importantly however I still maintain that the Eagle has dogshit accuracy no matter what mods you put on it. Good loving luck using it for long range. I have mine built for max damage close range.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

quote:

Funding Father
In the Big Bank job, complete the heist while you and your four man crew are wearing one different Bill mask each. Unlocks the Marksman Stock for the Falcon rifle.

:suicide:

Before you ask, no, you don't get one of the maks for buying the DLC.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Bolow posted:

I honestly don't know if they ever adjusted the values to be correct for that skill since they did a hotfix on it so long ago (used to reduce all damage by 50%). It still might be only a 5% reduction in damage which was still somewhat useful before bleed-over damage was implemented.

I'm trying to say it's a bad skill to Ace. Unless I'm flat out wrong and it does the 50% reduction from melee again.

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.
I'm so upset at the TCN mask for existing. Not even putting a new material over it covers up the lovely design. It seriously just looks like someones lovely custom made paintball mask and I'm going to be seriously tempted to kick anyone from my game if I see them using the TCN pattern. Not even ironically.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I would love it if the attachments for guns in this game made some sort of sense compared to real world applications. Like, folding stocks can be unfolded, suppressors removed, and you can just have different sized mags. It would make going from stealth-> loud so much less painful when your gun is not that great.

Then again, I don't think I've ever seen a game where you can actually unfold the folding stock ever. The Laptop Gun from Perfect Dark doesn't count.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 17, 2014

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Thank You Card posted:

I'm so upset at the TCN mask for existing. Not even putting a new material over it covers up the lovely design. It seriously just looks like someones lovely custom made paintball mask and I'm going to be seriously tempted to kick anyone from my game if I see them using the TCN pattern. Not even ironically.

Yeah, it looks pretty bad. Atleast the others looks neat. I quite like Gundam Prime.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Then again, I don't think I've ever seen a game where you can actually unfold the folding stock ever.

7.62 High Calibre! :eng101: Not an FPS, but still.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

OH hey, thank you Mendersilos, ApostateCourier and shooting blank for helping me understand fully how the stealth worked, It's normal but I can't imagine how they would make it significantly harder without more guards because titan camera wouldn't be a big problem.

also, like 12 bags on normal is still pretty good money surprisingly.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Forer posted:

OH hey, thank you Mendersilos, ApostateCourier and shooting blank for helping me understand fully how the stealth worked, It's normal but I can't imagine how they would make it significantly harder without more guards because titan camera wouldn't be a big problem.

also, like 12 bags on normal is still pretty good money surprisingly.

Had a blast, great group to play with. Looking forward to seeing how stealthing it might change on DW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Thank You Card posted:

What the hell is TCN anyways? I don't even know, maybe I'm better off that way. :v:

• Locked thread