Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I well remember Lew Pulsipher's articles, especially one of my favorites, the "be aware, take care" article from Dragon Magazine, where he gave the kind of advice you'd expect from one veteran mercenary to a newbie to try and keep him alive more than the first day.

I also think there needs to be a little MORE of that thinking returning to the table - not to the "insane paranoid" level of "checking all coins in a hoard for numismatic value" or "prepare poison and smoke powder for the wizard to save spells through the power of suggestion" - but so many groups have been raised on the "guided tour" philosophy that if you present them with the smallest mystery, or one of the old Gygaxian puzzles like the circular stone holes with splinters in them from the AD&D 1 DMG, many players go blank, and just stop thinking.

Many, many, MANY parties of players i've seen wont even talk to form a coherent battle plan, they go in, each pick a separate enemy, and do their own thing, sometimes even getting in each others' way. Pulsipher in the Dragon Mag article used example of a group of fighters who charge into a grassy field to the enemy, another subgroup of the fighters and thieves sneaking in the grass, and a group of magic users who turn invisible and move around shooting fireballs. In his words, without communication, or even setting code signals or rendezvous, the enemy could leave the field and the party still might have friendly fire losses. I've seen this level of cooperation in actual play, and it's disappointing! For goodness' sake, even Monopoly needs more system mastery than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

It's worse in the unmoderated wilds of social media. There's some pretty nasty stuff out there!

quote:

Holy cow are you not kidding. I followed a guy with some cred in a certain gaming community on G+ for literally a single day before the comments following something he posted turned into the most foul-mouthed, hair-raising group ad hominem in absentia against All Games Not My Game And The [Plural Expletive Deleted] Who Participate In Them. It was chilling, at least considering the venue. I mean, you'd expect this stuff from a political community, or possibly a group of white supremacists.

Or, conversely, perhaps the moderation on the forums you are used to has shielded from you the reality of what people at large really think about 4th edition.

I've been surprised myself at the level of vitriol and hate expressed by people who are not even anonymous and yet not shy at all to share their opinions about how much they hate this new stuff generally.

I'm more moderate but that's tempered by the knowledge that there is a way to progress beyond the original D&D system, and keep the good it had but get rid of the bad.

For instance, I think vancian is fine, but automatic scaling of spell damage or range was a give-away. I like bounded accuracy but think they need to implement bounded HP as well, and treat HP as purely wounds, which increase very slowly simulating getting tougher via the rigors of adventuring.

Calling people who hate 4th ed similar to white supremacists betrays your own inability to accept criticism and an inherent bigotry which is bordering on personal attack.

Don't insinuate that people who like classic D&D better than modern iterations are similar to white supremacists EVER AGAIN. Otherwise you and I are going to have a big problem here.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

I don't think he was making that broad a generalization. I think he was pointing out that the vitriol in the comments section of...wherever he visited...was of such a nature that it seemed radically out of proportion to the nature of the subject matter, in support of Morrus' observation on the contents of social media.

No, he compared his gaming preferences getting mocked (presumably for non-OSR games), to being persecuted based on his race by white supremacists.

That is a whole other level of "you need to get out of your parent's basement if you think people having different gaming biases than you is in any way similar to you being discriminated against".

That shows a fragile ego, and a complete lack of perspective on what real discrimination feels like. Having your game dissed doesn't count, sorry. It's posts like these where I'm frankly ashamed to be a part of any gaming community.

Get out of this forum. Live more, read more, talk to people, experience life a bit. People not liking 4th edition doesn't make them similar in any way to white supremacists persecuting you. It's high time somebody called out such outrageous absurdity. It's a level of abstraction from reality that can only be accounted for by being coddled by a cadre of dittoheads isolated and living in a bubble.

I'm not even an OSR gamer, and I feel it's slander. And before anyone dares call my response to his edition warring, let me remind you, I did not compare 4vengers to white supremacists. I was called a terrorist on the Wotc forums for not liking a particular game rule and wanting it removed, it's up to the mods here at this website to show they are any better by deleting that vile slander. If 4vengers can call others white supremacists, or compare them to that, without any repercussions, that betrays a complete double standard. One which I've never seen OSR gamers use in any post on Facebook, G+ or anywhere else. They usually simply say, "I hate 4th edition, it sux. Anything later than 2e/3e is dumb". That's the extent of it. To then take that to this forum and slander the entire community like that, in such a backhanded fashion, must be responded to.

Stop it. Immediately.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Reminder: the guy said "I got a ton of hate for being supportive of 4e." THat's what this guy is so pissed about.

~*~

This is slander. Tarring OSR gamers through guilt by association.

Would it be acceptable to refer to OSR gamers on Enworld as terrorists or nazis? Probably, "white surpemacists" is just a slightly less inflammatory slur.

If this isn't rectified, I'm not posting here again. Shame on this DMZ guy, this is well beyond edition warring. Since I'm new here, I don't feel the need to hold back. I don't want to be a part of a community where it's okay to call others who disagree with you such things anyway.

If it were, I would unleash hell in retaliation, trust me. Spoiled children with zero life experience and thus zero perspective on anything, would be the least thing I might start with. And that would be me being very polite.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I feel like posting shadzar is the same kind of cheating as posting 4chan, but I post 4chan so gently caress you.

quote:

quote:

quote:

In the interest of "rules transparency" that people love today, where is the cap and when does the DM tell it to you since 2000?

quote:

3rd edition D&D didn't cap AC

quote:

if the left-handed can do things just as well as the right-handed, then why should a southpaw have to do things right-handed?
A more accurate comparison would be using a command line on a computer instead of a graphical user interface. The command line can do anything the GUI can, and if you're already used to the command line you can navigate it well enough for your own purposes. However, GUIs are much more intuitive and easier to learn. Someone new to a computer program can generally learn a well-designed GUI faster than a similarly well-designed command line interface.

In 3rd edition, bigger numbers are always better. That little bit of consistency makes it easier to learn. BAB and ascending AC also reduces the number of steps required to resolve an attack roll, especially since addition is faster than subtraction. That makes using ascending AC in newly-designed games a no-brainer. It's not worth going back to convert all the existing material "just because," but there's no reason other than nostalgia for new material to use THAC0 either.

a problem is that the picture can say 1000 words, but not always does everyone know what those words mean, like Windows 8 is to the terrorist alert system, what the hell does level orange mean? it is no good if you cant remember all the little strangeness of the iconography. and still a GUI uses command lines interpreters anyway.

the whole "addition is faster than subtraction" poo poo never worked to well as an argument because cheap calculators have existed prior to WotC D&D editions. now with iPads, smart phones, etc. you just fondle the minus sign instead of the plus sign. it doesnt even take any math skills, just button mashing skills to do it. also with the whole Project Morningstar, and the fact that someone could make an attack app, you don't need to do anything but put in the things being used and let the app handle all that math for you. again a case of a GUI for basic math, so addition and subtraction doesnt mean poo poo.

the point is THAC0 is the same drat thing as BAB, and i cannot understand the fear of subtraction. just use a calculator like everyone was doing in the 70s. even when it required P&P instead of tablets and laptop/notebook computers, people didn't sit doing longhand addition and subtraction or using slide rules for this poo poo.

it is only a hangup and a non-existent problem since PEOPLE, the players are not doing the math, but a calculator is, either a device made solely for doing math or some other computing device.

how many people here play D&D or any other RPG and do the attack math with a pencil and paper?

then end result is you are still just comparing two numbers to find if your roll produced the bigger number. thus they are the same thing, even the math has been shown by a 3rd edition player to be the same math just with AC starting at 10 going up, not down. still just a number line.

they are functionally identical.

"Windows 8 is unintuitive so gently caress it. Now, here's why THAC0 is just fine…"

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

help im cant stahp

quote:

quote:

Incidentally, Harbinger Gandalf deals with the Balrog by condemning it in Heaven's name, provoking unnatural weather to enhance his attack with crackling lightning and striking down the Third Circle Demon. He then collapses, his last gasps choking from his lungs, before burning his identity on joss paper and returning with new tools and skills (and a raise) as Gandalf the White, sometime later when his "death" has expired. Twilight Gandalf deals with the Balrog by cutting it down with a blade infused with holy Essence, casting it from the mountain and falling into a coma from which he can heal his grievous wounds. When he awakes, he calls on his faithful steed Shadowfax, with whom his bond transcends space and time, and is borne down from the mountain to aid his friends.

OT but Balrog was equivalent of a Second Circle at best.

Body-double Charm leaked.

quote:

Okay. Yeah. Uh. Read the Charm. Don't like it. Ever for someone who has a basic at best grasp of Exalted mechanics as is I can already see multiple problems with the Charm.

That said, I'm not gonna go on a rant because as mentioned many many many times before this is a leak of a very outdated version of playtesting so it might not be in there and it may be an untypical sort of Charm. Whatever.

BUT

If it is in the final release. There will be a rant. A rant to end all rants. A rant so epic it will be submitted for participation for the Rantlympics, where it will defeat all the other rants and proceed to be submitted to the rant hall of fame, because this Charm is a thing that is an extremely toxic thing to have not just in Exalted but RPGs in general.

One of the most annoying, disruptive trolls in Exalted fandom…

quote:

The fundamental problem with the leak is what we see here: indignant martyrs throwing themselves onto the pyre of hyperbolic internet outrage and public derision, convinced that they understand the truth, and that out of the hundreds of testers that have been involved with everything, taken from all levels of mechanical competence with the systems, not a single one of them had the ability to notice problems they could see in a smattering of seconds.

People's perceptions of the game are being colored by the handful of spoiled powers those who like to share are displaying, and they're extrapolating from these handful of effects to the set as a whole despite what's been revealed being an extreme small minority of what's available.

I assure you: none of you are any better than the people in the playtest. You do not possess the true sight where they lack and are found wanting. There has not been a single comment on a single forum that hasn't already been brought up by the people who are actually looking at everything as a whole, together, and seeing how it interacts.

Cool your tits. They are unnecessarily hot. We've managed to avoid drooling on ourselves long enough to note the obvious as well as you and pass it along.

…was allowed to be a playtester I guess. And now he's out doing PR!

quote:

quote:

That is no excuse for you to join this forum purely to act smug in our faces over how your part of the playtesting and we are not, thus invaliding any opinions on what we have been shown. Please, and I'm trying to be polite here go away if that is all you are going to do. I am a little annoyed at Omnicron for the same reason, but at least he contributed on other things here since he joined.

It's not that I'm smug, you're just autistic.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Show me the sidebar in the DMG where not murdering defensely kobold children with Divine Smite despite your paladin's vow of Justice prohibiting killing the weak, has a mechanical impact, and we'll talk.

Until then, in 5th ed, one needs to houserule good = good, because otherwise evil = good or whatever else you get away with.

I've seen several selfish murder hobo paladins in Encounters. Having no rule to support your vows is akin to giving players free reign to demand that for RAW-aligned DMs, there is no such thing as good and evil, lawful or chaotic, because even if there were, there is no mechanical repercussion for a paladin acting CE despite having LG on his sheet. There isn't even a way for a DM to alter alignment based on their character's actions. That is totally absurd and ridiculous. Alignment is a mere suggestion, of course, because the designers have decided that morality doesn't actually exist. That's a strong statement and one shared by many intellectuals. If so, why have alignment at all? Why have Oaths if you can violate them willy nilly? Why design a class based on receiving different abilties based on a divine oath or other, when there is zero reason for a character to actually follow that Oath? I could play an Oath of Vengeance paladin, who is un-vengeful in the extreme. Is that good roleplaying? Is ignoring the "flavor text" of 9/10th of the class description a good reason to spend pages and pages and hours and hours designing it?

I submit to you that it's not only unreasonable to have a class based on Oaths without consequences for violating them, but it's completely unreasonable to have any form of alignment mentioned anywhere in the PHB if there is no mechanical support. It is just fluff. I don't need a PHB to tell me what good or evil is, what a lawful character is. If I did, I would want to know why I can pick a class that used to be based on having a certain alignment no longer requires an alignment, and what it means, if anything, to have taken an Oath of Whatever when there is "whatever" shoulder shrug response from the DM when your character is the most selfish and petty at the table. I've seen it quite a bit.

Paladin players are the trolls of D&D. They want those kewl abilities but no penalties for hitting below the belt. They want to swagger in to town as the hero on shining armor after having acquired their celestial mount as a result of murdering a bunch of defenseless captives who had surrendered. This is the kind of game they've created here.

I simply can't play a class that's so ill suited to D&D. You need mechanics for alignment if you build an alignment based class. Perhaps one for each alignment, fine, but there should be an LG paladin who loses his powers if he commits an evil act, in D&D.

I bet they won't even have that in the DMG as an option. It seems we have options for mages to fuel their spells in various ways, but paladins can't actually have their code of ethics be supported by the rules.

I'm not impressed by some munchkin who has a level 9 paladin that he got there by chasing loot and acting cowardly or selfishly. D&D Next is supposed to be supporting parties consisting of characters of various levels within the same group, so if there are two paladins, both LG on paper, and one plays him like a real scum bag, but the other plays him well, I expect one to advance faster than the other.

The only thing I find really surprising is that on a website dedicated to roleplaying, that the idea that good roleplaying would be rewarded in the rules and bad roleplaying penalized, is the least bit controversial. Games have reward conditions for playing them well and fail conditions for playing them badly. A roleplaying game with no rewards or penalties for good/bad roleplaying is simply poorly designed.

The original D&D was exquisitely designed compared to some of this modern stuff. By the time the DMG comes out, I won't be surprised if there's just a sidebar for atonement, or even none, because of all the murder hobo / moral relativism the designers read about on the forums. D&D without alignment is less D&D than it should be, it's missing its heart and soul. Paladin atonement being present or absent, I've noticed is a fair indicator of what type of players will play the game, and as a result, what kind of tables where I will inevitably be seated with greedy paladin murder hobos where the DM can't sanction them directly via their god because they are prohibited by organized play rules to roleplay the paladin's god effectively. The quickest and simplest way for deity to sanction their errant knights is to ex-communicate them, or keep the ever-present threat of ex-communication looming over their every move. In practice, this is how real morality often plays out. And in the end, I don't really care if a paladin acts good because they are inherently good or because they are obeying their deity's dictates, what I care about is that I'm not stuck in a group with a sadistic murderer in shining armor who absurdly gets rewarded with such supernatural and divine abilities like "detect evil" or laying on hands (when the last 5 times it was used was to sustain some kind of evil act or its aftermath).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Tom, Sick and Sally is a very polite way to describe the variety of actions that I've witnessed paladin players commit over the years.

Human kind simply doesn't seem to respond to only having carrots. You really need a stick sometimes. It's part of our animal heritage. That stick is, of course, losing your abilities if you're a paladin. Otherwise show me how a D&D god could punish a D&D paladin in an effective way, that remains plausible given that the simplest and most direct way for a god to control his champion is to take away that champion's status as a champion.

Without that ability, D&D gods are neutered, and impotent. Putting paladins in the game at all requires an effective alignment system if it's really to make any sense. Unless gods in your pantheon are so starved for combat-worthy champions that they are willing to put up with anything so long as they pretend to be doing their bidding. Key word, pretend. But nobody is really being fooled.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

quote:

So in the generic TOME setting description of orcs, they're low a low INT nuisance that dwells in lovely unfarmable land, yet their populations swell somehow and they pour out until enough are killed to drive them back into the mountains.

And yet, post-Roman Empire to pre-Americas Europe was in much the same state. Low INT population that can't put together public works projects, has mostly lovely armies with a small collection of superbadasses that still manage to get their asses kicked, farming yields so low that they get worse results than pretty much any post-Tigris and Euphrates civilization that discovered literacy, and kept wallowing in the mud by their lovely god and lovely priests who stop them from reaching their full potential.

loving beautiful.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

quote:

The continued handwringing about this issue, which ranges from e.g. comparing Jack Chalker (who wrote about transformation fetishes) to Marion Zimmer Bradly and her husband (who, apparently, raped kids), to the continued insistence on the part of the SomethingAwful forum and certain portions of RP Open that anyone who wants to put sexual content in an RPG must be an awful pervert deserving of nothing but contempt and derision, continues to anger me, although really that just means I haven't got my pilot light on yet.

EDIT: My larger point here is that regardless of whether fetish content in fiction is "okay" or not, you can't take it out. You can't go to Jack Chalker and say "Okay, some of these ideas are good, but could you do it a bit without the fetish content informing everything?" That's like trying to make a circle with a different value of pi.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
So a document from the in-development 3E Exalted leaked recently. Some folks are mad, because this could cause delays and someone violated an NDA, some folks are happy we actually have something to look at for the game, but gently caress either of those reasonable opinions, let's have some good old fashioned :godwin:.

quote:

Whoever leaked this is, you are an idiot of the utmost magnitude. That you didn't stop a single moment to think about how your actions could potentially impact the gameline as a whole is frankly appaling, and I prefer to think it was the case, because should your percieved ignorance actually be malice, you would be an rear end in a top hat rivaled only by the likes of Hitler and Lisa Minnelli.

Please rest assure of my utmost contempt for you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
For a thousand years the Urlanth Matriarchy has controlled vast swathes of known space, demanding tithes of money, soldiers for its legions and total obedience. The Urlanth waged a constant war of expansionism as the males of the species tried to prove their worth to be taken as a husband and father by one of the ruling female elite.

The Urlanth Matriarchy was only the most recent of many empires that have taken control of huge areas of space over the aeons and, like all the others, it was only a matter of time until it fell. Would they suicide en masse like the Korgat? Perhaps they would fall to a hungrier, younger race as the Urlanth had displaced the Xanian Commonwealth that came before them? In the end it was a civil war that broke the Urlanth rulership. The Empress Caldo was assassinated by members of her inner guard and no clear successor to her position was obvious. The ninety-nine daughters of Caldo fell into immediate and bitter infighting, splitting and dragging the forces of the Empire with them into balkanised regions of mutual hate.

Guilds and corporations took the opportunity to reassert their own power and rebellious systems grasped eagerly at the chance to throw off the Urlanth that they had chafed under for so long. Even elements of the Urlanth fleet rebelled under a form of radical masculinism and turned against their former mistresses in the name of male liberation.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

quote:

I wanted to share something I noticed with my usual Pathfinder group. Succubi, who are immortal soul-beings that use sex as a weapon, aren't immune to disease. Let that sink in for a moment. More likely than not, most succubi die of incurable sexually transmitted diseases.

In fact, most outsiders probably do, especially evil ones who are generally good at spreading diseases but crap at curing them (there's a few evil outsiders that can use things like wishes to mimic a remove disease or heal spell, but they are few and often quite limited).

This means a succubus who is old and powerful is likewise probably long since completely insane due to things like syphilis destroying her mind and body. In fact, if they're not antipaladins, it's likely that most succubi who are actually good at being succubi and contacting other people's bodies are probably walking cesspools of things that you definitely do not want.

On the plus side they're immune to poison. Or it would be a plus side. I'm pretty sure lots of succubi likely regret this, since it means they can't just kill themselves after they've been turned into a walking colony of STDs and their fingers are falling off from leprosy. (>_<)

Or maybe that's how they cure themselves. Go a seducin', then go and drink 20 gallons of bleach and start over?

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

quote:

[19:01] <+AJofUniversalHorizons> HI, I’m AJ Schmidt. I have been RPGing since 1978. Ten years ago, I had the pleasure of introducing my son to the world of role-playing with organize-play living worlds.

[19:01] <+AJofUniversalHorizons> We hosted conventions, wrote adventures, and ran events supporting that system… until it all changed. The company came out with a Fourth Edition and forbade us to continue the campaign we all loved.

[19:01] <+AJofUniversalHorizons> Moreover, the new edition resembled miniature gaming more than role-playing. We enjoyed the game for a while, but it left us longing to share the same types of experiences we had growing up.

[19:01] <+AJofUniversalHorizons> Myself and life-long gamer John Teske always tweaked ‘house rules.’ Our friends encouraged us to do more. We wrote a multi-genre skill-based tabletop RPG. After six years of development and three years of play testing, we published UNIVERSAL HORIZONS PLAYERS’ HANDBOOK months ago.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

I tend to feel that the hate for this game and it's themes is unjustified and blown out of proportion in every thread.

The game is going to try to push your buttons. That's kind of the point. If people aren't comfortable with it they just shouldn't play Cthulhutech.

There are plenty of fun things you can do with Cthulhutech especially if you are willing to explore some grimdarkness.

quote:

quote:

I feel there's an important note to make here.

Grimdark is a phrase that refers to what happens when horror and tragedy gets overblown so that it's impossible to take it seriously. It is not possible to explore grimdarkness, except as an exercise in comic absurdity.

I suspect that's not what you meant, which is why it's ironic that I agree with you - Cthulutech, in addition to its gender and race problems, is very grimdark.

Serious and grimdark are both valid playstyles but the term gets thrown around so much it is hard for someone to know it's meaning (and I read the forum every day so take that for what you will). Personally I think that it would be okay to use it to describe a game that is run in a soul-crushingly depressing and hopeless way but if not please give me a proper word for this playstyle because although it is very niche and not many people would want to play this way, there are some that do. My friends know me and they know that I read a lot of Lovecraft so they don't want to play any game with Cthulhu in the title because they know it is not going to be a happy stroll in the park or a power fantasy for them.

Either way comedic absurdity is a way that you could run the game but I would tend to (try to) make it dark and disturbing myself in a moderately believable way. It is sort of absurd that it would be difficult to run a group with characters of conflicting styles/power levels but I guess people love other games for this very reason, it would just take some work on the GMs part.

I don't think that Cthulhutech is deserving of it's bad reputation though and I feel like people only give it one because it's trendy to trash a game for things that some people might consider flaws and others might consider them features. Certainly some of what's in the game could be considered distasteful but the people who don't like it aren't going to play the game either way. I feel like many games come with the assumption that you are the hero by default. It's not that you can't be heroes in Cthulhutech but the insanity system supports characters that are potentially deeply flawed or disturbed (or end up there). I could find things comparably offensive as what's presented in Cthulhutech in the Cthulhu Mythos but since Call of Cthulhu the RPG has been around for so many years people take everything as a setting assumption and it doesn't bother them a bit.

Damning the game for it's mechanics is another thing entirely which may or may not be warranted.

Hmm.. Sorry if I got away from the original topic, don't know where I'm going with this as I'm very tired.

In any case to the OP if the game appeals to you try it out as long as you are okay if the book briefly touches on sexual themes in places and the adventures are perhaps especially guilty of this. The Corebook and Vade Mecum are good for art and inspiration even if you don't use it for anything else.

If I were to run Cthulhutech I think that I would go for an X-Files type game with it but there are a lot of different ways you can go.

Comedic absurdity.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

quote:

This next issue is close to my heart. Something that stood out to me was the complete remove of almost everything ninja /shinobi in the game. The Crane lost the Daiodoji Harrier (really the only other ninja in the book) and it has been replaced with a barbarian like crane which is the complete opposite of what the harrier is. Even the Shosuro lost the title shinobi and that has been replaced with Infiltrator. The name now sounds silly to me. Why would you change the name from shinobi to Infiltrator? Was Shinobi to hard for people to pronounce? Even the Goju ninja school has been removed from the spider clan. It was like the Development team called for an "Order 66" and wiped out all the ninja. It's really frustrating and uncalled for.

won't somebody please think of the ninja

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Should have known going to the Paizo forums would be a mistake.

OP is a 3.5 player and asks to be "sold" on PF.

quote:

WotC... no. Just no. If Paizo is McD, WotC is Denny's.

quote:

Some of the selling points for me when I made the transition:
A huge problem with 3.5 was the martial VS caster disparity. In Pathfinder, it still exists, but the divide is much smaller.
•All the classes in general got a nice upgrade too. There are pretty much no more "dead levels" where you don't get anything.
•Combat maneuvers (grappling, tripping, disarming, etc.) are now no more complicated than making regular attacks.
•A continual line of modules and full campaign adventure paths for those who want such support.
•Comfortable pacing on new releases. D&D 4E tried to drown their customers in new content. Paizo releases ~4 quality, play-tested books each year, which helps budget management and makes for a better overall game. (And you know who does much of the play testing prior to release? WE, THE ONLINE COMMUNITY DO.)

quote:

I don't think you'll find many defenders of Wizards' product support program in these parts. 3.5 fans, 4E fans, 4E Essentials fans... they're all feeling the cold, clammy, indifferent slap of the wet washcloth of Hasbro.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
This guy continues to be super terrified that his players will PULL A FAST ONE and will play a paladin...without intended to play a paladin!!!!!

~*~

Oath of Freedom paladin, CG would be a character I'd love to play, but it would end up being similar to a slavery-hating, law-breaking barbarian-rogue in temperament, if not abilities which would be more magic based. But those are still interesting mechanical and philosophical differences even among CG characters, which I like.

However the Oaths need repercussions for acting contrary to your Oath. Maybe a temporary disconnection to the magical powers granted for the Oath itself, would be fine. It's not so much a power balancing mechanic as a roleplay enhancing one, and I just don't believe in people taking Oaths with their fingers crossed behind their backs and still getting rewarded for that, and treated like they are still following the path. I would even go so far as to say you can't progress along the Oath. There should be a way to switch your Oath with a ritual or a lengthy change of religion. People do it that quite a bit, I don't see why D&D gods or magic need their followers to keep following them until they die, even over their objections. Others might jealously seek vengeance. Like if you betray a vow and go from paladin to anti-paladin, that's more serious than going from a champion of justice to a champion of freedom. I think changing along the good-evil axis is worse than the law-chaos one.

People who are chaotic often do have an internal compass or vow or code or mission, it just isn't rigid, or dogmatic in the same way. A rogue could take a vow of lawbreaking, and say he needs to steal something every day, and as a paragon of that type of Oath, gain appropriate abilities that assist them in achieving that objective. Lots of interesting characters are possible, and they all depend on Oaths being taken and not broken. Take your Oath seriously, no matter what it may be, it needn't be alignment based but a LG paladin of justice should exist, and lose his powers (even temporarily) if he breaks his Oath.

They need to add optional rules for that, to make the entire purpose of the class make sense again. Right now the class makes no sense, because Oaths are often merely treated as fluff to gain tha goodiez you want for your murder hobo du jour. Oaths are not fluff.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The whole idea of "no take backsies" screams player entitlement to me. Why shouldn't a god have the ability to remove that little spark of the divine he gave you, if you're constantly and seriously throwing it in his face?

And an intelligent player can easily hide his misdeeds from the public view or scrunity (who will tell on him from the depths of the dungeon? Probably not his teammates, who aren't under any oath). But nothing escapes the eye on the sparrow, neither deed nor even base thought or desire.

A subclass is about a third of a classes' features. If you violate your oath by committing an evil act, your oath becomes void, and you are then free to choose another one or atone to regain entry into this one.

I hope this becomes an optional rule, because I don't think it's up to a god's followers who conveniently are never around to bear witness to his misdeeds, to discipline his champions. If a god is the source of his spells and lay on hands and other magic, then it's just a matter of turning off the faucet until the paladin atones. I just do not buy it that a god can't sever a tie, temporarily or permanently. They are gods, treat them like gods. PCs are puny pawns, and not independent agents free of consequences. The only punishment for the paladin cannot be that his god mutters impotently at his misdeeds, unable to stop further misdeeds done in his name and with his power.

I'm fine with it being an optional rule to enable this, but I do not for one second buy the gameplay or fiction reason why there shouldn't be a severe punishment for Oath violation. Oaths aren't pillow talk. They are serious business, from serious powers (what's more serious than a God in D&D? The DM only, and those are effectively the same thing anyway).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Whatever the solution is to a paladin acting poorly, it can't be "do nothing".

If the paladin is off on his own, and goes to loot the tomb of the fallen king for his magic armor or sword, and he comes back to his group and says it was handed to him by his God, who is to deny him? Since the god is an absentee landlord in the model of "you're only punishable if you get caught", presupposes very weak D&D gods, and that I find unbelievable. A weak, impotent, blind god with strong champions who are abusing his good will and there's nothing he can do about it (in the rules). Yeah, I've seen that happen lots over the years. The only reason I've seen people complain about having to atone are specifically those problem paladin players who want to literally get away with murder and thievery.

I don't think it's interesting playing a game where my god permits me to lay on hands and detect evil creatures, while still giving me enough leeway, that, so long as I'm not witnessed by anyone, can murder a prisoner in cold blood, or eat the last piece of bread of a dying old man.

Sounds like the kind of knights in Game of Thrones, secular ones, and servants of all-too-human kings and queens. Knights who pretend to pray, while being sinners.

If a paladin's god not only can't take away his powers, but can't even order his other followers to hunt down and kill him and bring him to justice, we do have to laugh at such meager gods, and scratch our heads at why anyone would pledge their lives to be their champions.

I agree with imaro, the class doesn't make sense without gods having at least some control over their followers.

The only thing we're even debating now is why we would want DMs to have in the DMG an optional rule to have classic paladins. But those of us who want them, are not going to stop wanting them because some people we've never met, nor will ever play with.

We've heard the arguments for years and years. To my mind, they are all variants of "let the players do whatever they want, because otherwise they will whine". I've never seen, not once, a paladin player who actually played the class well, I mean roleplay wise, even risk having to atone, unless it was deliberately because they were stuck, or it was part of their character. In that case, being a fallen paladin adds character to the character, and makes the overall story better, not worse.

Living in a world where there are paladins but they are all perfect specimens and therefore there are never any fallen paladins, tells me the gods are asleep at the wheel, and perhaps aren't even real. Certainly not gods of justice and decency, when they are so inept and powerless to even censure their own champions who are committing evil acts and never getting caught let alone stopped.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

In real life, people break oaths because keeping to them is demanding.

But it is not demanding for a player to keep his/her PC to an oath, because in the context of an RPG it is no more demanding to declare action X for my PC than to declare action Y.

So why are the players in your games not playing their PCs as keeping to their oaths?
Woosh, that's the sound of a crucial difference flying right over your head.

Let's say, in real life I take a vow as the captain of a ship, to go down with the ship, and I don't. I take the first life raft off and say so long, suckers. That might end up with me facing some kind of legal or personal repercussions after I end up on the shore.

Let's say, as a paladin, I take a vow to my god to defend the kingdom and the king from demons, with my life, but when the time comes, I run away from said demons. In exchange for my vow, I am given powers which ordinary men do not have access to and do not possess.

In this context, since the player is controlling his PC, and choses to make his PC act like a coward and thereby break his Oath, his god should punish him by at the very least, removing his powers and severing all ties to himself. Are you seriously saying that the gods in your worlds can't end a contract which has already been broken? And allow such PCs to continue acting as earthly representatives of their will when they break solemn vows to them, for which they were given tangible rewards and benefits?

You see it as me wanting to punish PCs for playing their characters poorly, I see it as creating a class where it's a pleasure to take on such vows, and I would gladly play my paladin in such a way.

That's not to say that I only want LG paladins because I don't. I want other types, including anti-paladins aka deathknights or blackguards as well as champions of freedom and whatever else people can come up with. But if you're a champion of freedom, and you put someone in chains, yes, same thing, you deserve to lose your god-given powers because in D&D, gods are real and they bestow real powers, and it is beyond absurd to imagine that the gods can't or wouldn't remove those powers.

The fiction is there for a long time, fallen knight, fallen paladin. I'm not even asking for it to be in the Basic Rules, but for people to imply that it shouldn't be in the DMG either, or that there aren't very good reasons why we want it there, is just missing the point entirely.

Lots of people want paladins with alignment restrictions, and see the class as missing its soul without it. But I don't have a twitter account and have no intention of creating one.

If someone else would mention something like "Paladins should have optional rules for atonement / fallen after breaking their Vows", that would be much appreciated. But twitter, no I just can't.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

kingcom posted:

I wanted to share something I noticed with my usual Pathfinder group. Succubi, who are immortal soul-beings that use sex as a weapon, aren't immune to disease. Let that sink in for a moment. More likely than not, most succubi die of incurable sexually transmitted diseases.

In fact, most outsiders probably do, especially evil ones who are generally good at spreading diseases but crap at curing them (there's a few evil outsiders that can use things like wishes to mimic a remove disease or heal spell, but they are few and often quite limited).

This means a succubus who is old and powerful is likewise probably long since completely insane due to things like syphilis destroying her mind and body. In fact, if they're not antipaladins, it's likely that most succubi who are actually good at being succubi and contacting other people's bodies are probably walking cesspools of things that you definitely do not want.

On the plus side they're immune to poison. Or it would be a plus side. I'm pretty sure lots of succubi likely regret this, since it means they can't just kill themselves after they've been turned into a walking colony of STDs and their fingers are falling off from leprosy. (>_<)

Or maybe that's how they cure themselves. Go a seducin', then go and drink 20 gallons of bleach and start over?

This doesn't seem groggy to me at all. If anything, seems like a good candidate for the Murphy's Rules thread. That's genuinely hilarious.

Now, is this grog? I'm not sure. Feels like it. A new publisher called Universal Horizons attempted to patent the process of converting a character from one system to another. It got shot down. They've been deleting comments, too.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I don't think STDs are in the SRD. Please don't correct me on this.

quote:

There are twelve ability scores in DragonSpawn. That’s right, twelve. Why so many? The better question is why do other systems offer so few. One of the other systems has a single category, charisma, that deals with the physical beauty of the character as well as such intangibles as leadership and social compatibility. What a crock. I’ve known lots of people who were stunningly handsome/beautiful; who could stop traffic. Of course after two minutes talking with them, you’d want to get away as quickly as you possibly could. Yet, the authors of this other system seem to say that this is impossible, that if you are good looking, you must also be great at socializing with others. Maybe this is a reflection on the social life of those authors, since the opposite case seems to be well known. Hmmm…

quote:

Choosing a gender as a human is simple. Male or female. Since the game is masculine centric, choosing a female character will require a few adjustments to ability scores to reflect the differences between men and women. Those changes are given below:
code:
Ability Score 	Modification
Brawn		-1
Stamina		+1
Knowledge	-1
Thought		+1
Now don’t write me letters about the decrease in the knowledge category. This is to reflect the fact that the game takes place in medieval times, when it was uncommon for women to have access to knowledge. It also provides for a little game balance. The other numbers are generally regarded to be true through empirical evidence. Women tend to be less brawny, yet have more stamina then men. Women also tend to be better at problem solving.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The number of people on ENWorld admitting that they literally cannot roleplay paladins without there being mechanics for it is kind of amazing. Literally "I cannot roleplay a good guy unless punishment hangs above my head."

~*~

In 3e I tend for the most part to play them within the tenets of the class... sometimes because that is what the character would do but sometimes because there are consequences which the character weighs against the importance of his actions. In 4e this never arises when I play a paladin, so for me a character who is struggling with the tenets of paladinhood in 4e... has no reason, IMO, not to take a ride on the dark side when necessary or convenient since there are no consequences... In 3e it has to be pretty important since the consequences are (again IMO) much greater.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
If playing a Paladin, ordinarily I would not break my oath. But if circumstances were such that my character had a chrisis of faith, it might be interesting to play that out, however I would like to know what might be the consequences of such an action. I would not want to immediately put the rest of the party in jeopardy by losing all healing abilities right when they are counting on it. But if we are not in a critical situation, the loss of that healing, while it will matter, would not endanger the other characters right away. Then it becomes another challenge to overcome.

If DMing, it is easier on my players if they have it spelled out ahead of time what can happen to oathbreakers. It would be very unfair if the consequences came out of nowhere.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

Yes, because heaven forbid players actually role play their characters. Would you have your paladin break his oath DDNFan? If not, then why do you need mechanical consequences.
Without any type of mechanical consequences... I probably would (it's why i don't play paladins in 4e), if it was convenient... saved my character's life... gave me an advantage during a challenge and so on I'd break my oath. I mean don't get me wrong I'd play the paladin role when it was easy but why would I keep it up when and if I didn't have to? With no consequences there is no such thing as a fallen paladin and thus anything I do would be ok for a paladin... Of course at this point I'd consider myself just a divinely imbued fighter?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Seriously paladin chat is the best, it inevitably turns into sociopaths trying to argue that everyone is inherently a criminal, and only fear of the law stops them from being monsters.

~*~

We have John, the Paladin. If he truthfully lives by his paladin code, his deep connection to his god will reward him with powerful abilities, like the power to detect the presence of demons, cast divine spells and smite his opponents in combat. The problem is: beginning with 4E, if he fails to truthfully live by his paladin code, this won't be a real problem, because he'll be able to detect demons, cast spells and smite opponents just the same. Either his god doesn't care (and in this case we should ask why he was given powers in the first place) or those powers are coming from somewhere else, and this paladin (or cleric, or druid, whatever) is just an arcane caster with a different spell list (which I believe is ok, as I have said earlier, just not that interesting to me).

If those powers are truly a gift from the gods, a moment should come where those gods decide to take them away because John is not living up to his responsibilities as someone bound by a sacred oath. In fact, even if we take the approach where it's John's faith, not the gods, that give him power, we'll arrive at that point where someone will ask: "look, if you really believe in the teachings of Torm, why are you acting like a blackguard in the service of Bane?".

Obviously, I'm describing what suits my own game better. I've run D&D for the last 20 years in its various incarnations, and only taken away the powers of a PC once (a 2E ranger that was chaotic good in the character sheet and chaotic evil everywhere else), but I believe it's an important tool, one that I'll certainly houserule back into my 5E game, if I need to.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 18, 2014

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

quote:

Shardminds? Yeah, gently caress Shardminds. Doesn't have to eat, drink, or sleep? Great. Can teleport once per encounter? loving awesome. A friend of mine played a Shardmind Monk in a 4e campaign that I ran and I'll tell you I murdered the poo poo out of his character.

There are the most UNBALANCED AS gently caress race in 4e

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I'm going to risk being downvoted to hell and be honest for a second.
I pretty much hate all the races introduced after AD&D 1st edition. I find that they're used as replacements for character building, and too many(read: forgeborn, dragonborn, shardmind) are incredibly overpowered and become frustrating to other players in the group. Their introduction marks a turning point where, as I see it, D&D became much more about being a badass than playing a game.
I understand feeling incredibly satisfied when your character becomes a badass, but it seems incredibly hollow when they start out as some semi-mythical creature. Human, dwarf, elf, orc and halfling all have very balanced starting points and they're considered quite standard in D&D, but dear god, why is these this need to demystify everything now? Did players really get to interested in dragons that they needed an option to play as a dragonborn? Do we really need to replace GM ingenuity by creating a class made of crystal, or a special subtype of dwarves that are super special?
D&D was inspired by a host of strange, interesting and altogether wonderful fantasy fiction. It was created to be a game that encouraged people to explore that weirdness, to create their own strange adventures and races and backstories. It's fallen to pieces in 3.5 and 4.0 because Wizards of the Coast decided it needed to hold everyone's hand and create aesthetically pleasing, powerful and ultimately childish races, and the vast majority of D&D players ate it up.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
A paladin losing his powers from committing an evil act IS an in-game consequence for an in-game action. He enters into a contract with his god, not with the DM. The DM roleplays the god to the best of the description and alignment of that god, and judges his followers accordingly. As the giver and taker, he should have the power to giveth and taketh away.

Don't mistake metagame player punishment for in-game roleplaying. It's quite possible that a paladin starts out honorable and idealistic and over time, gets corrupted and loses his way. This is terrific roleplaying opportunity, since he can seek the help of a mentor, or ask his god himself, whether his acts are noble or malign, and if he alters his behavior accordingly after doing so, either atones or even avoids censure entirely. A story arc where there is a fall from grace and then atonement and rebirth is as old as dirt. Batman the Dark Knight, to the Dark Knight Rises, is just one recent example. You can't have an atonement story without a fall, and only varying the rate of rising is a boring straightjacket, it's monotonous and undramatic to only ever improve and never stumble along the way. Heroes stumble on the way to greatness. I've seen many terrific atonement stories play out as players learn to navigate their characters better.

It's a roleplaying game, there should be rules for roleplaying. This is more a hard rule than a soft one, but it's the only class that's predicated on that, and not even in the basic rules any more due to the incessant complaining to take out this iconic thing. It's limiting to have only champions of one type of ethos or alignment or Oath, but that's not what we have. We have many to chose from, and even rules to define your own subclass, so it should be easy any pitfalls of playing the group's police officer or morality police, or be "lawful stupid". Pick what subclass you want to play, and live and die by its code.

It is simply not a serious proposition or idea to have a sworn Oath to boundless metaphysical beings that have extreme intellect and knowledge and who wouldn't take interest in their champion's activities. These aren't squires or altar boys, these are the best of the best, out there spreading his will. It would be totally ridiculous if gods didn't scrutinize them closely.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm going to risk being downvoted to hell and be honest for a second.
I pretty much hate all the races introduced after AD&D 1st edition. I find that they're used as replacements for character building, and too many(read: forgeborn, dragonborn, shardmind) are incredibly overpowered and become frustrating to other players in the group. Their introduction marks a turning point where, as I see it, D&D became much more about being a badass than playing a game.
I understand feeling incredibly satisfied when your character becomes a badass, but it seems incredibly hollow when they start out as some semi-mythical creature. Human, dwarf, elf, orc and halfling all have very balanced starting points and they're considered quite standard in D&D, but dear god, why is these this need to demystify everything now? Did players really get to interested in dragons that they needed an option to play as a dragonborn? Do we really need to replace GM ingenuity by creating a class made of crystal, or a special subtype of dwarves that are super special?
D&D was inspired by a host of strange, interesting and altogether wonderful fantasy fiction. It was created to be a game that encouraged people to explore that weirdness, to create their own strange adventures and races and backstories. It's fallen to pieces in 3.5 and 4.0 because Wizards of the Coast decided it needed to hold everyone's hand and create aesthetically pleasing, powerful and ultimately childish races, and the vast majority of D&D players ate it up.

Screw you dude. I'm playing a griffin in 3.5(savage species rulebook) and it is by far one of the most interesting and difficult characters I've tried. Maybe they've added too many subspecies(aquatic elves? :what:) but the unique races like dragonborn and such? Yeah, no, I'm in favor of keeping them.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the grog tax is me for using savage species. I'm told it wasn't that good of a book, but I found it interesting.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 18, 2014

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

quote:

She fell when the party attempted to negotiate with a balor who had taken another PC's family hostage. The demon had just begun to explain its demands - which, if she'd let him finish, involved foiling the plans of a rival demon lord and were perfectly acceptable for a paladin to perform - when she got that look in her eye.

Pally: "I summon my mount as a swift action [Feat] and charge with my lance!"
Me: "Really?"
Wizard (in character): "Hold, friend! Those demons ex-"
Pally: *rolls a nat 20, confirms with an 18*
Wizard: "-plode."

The poor balor never had a chance - she took the Great Smiting feat several times, had Spirited Charge and Dire Charge, and was using a valorous lance. The resulting blast left her mostly unscathed, but the wizard's family was dust. She ended up falling hard and spent the next few in-game months doing atonement quests - mostly hostage rescue, culminating in taking a level of gray guard so she could sneak/bluff her way into Dis and rescue wrongly imprisoned souls. We ended up with a paladin who was just as angry at the world... but willing to be subtle about it sometimes.

What is with the idea that paladins should fall if they unknowingly do something bad, the code of conduct listed in 3E explicitly states that they gotta willfully do something evil or grossly violate the code in order to fall.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Winson_Paine posted:

- Must post grog. This is the big one. Your post can certainly comment on some funny grog, but the last thread was overwhelmed with low effort slackers riding the jocks of the real grogposters. Don't post grog, something bad will happen to you. Commentary on previous posts is fine, or discussing grog, but you gotta bring a pie to the buffet if you do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Regarding a dude that killed a 3-year-old (what the gently caress) in a fight because of Confusion:

quote:

I think it's pretty clear cut- he loses all his abilities until he seeks atonement. The longer he whines that it's not his fault and the longer he isn't sorry for what has happened, the longer he loses his powers.

You also might want to point out that whether the player is sorry or not, his character must be truly repentant for the spell to work, as per first sentence of spell.

Just show him the rules AND show him how to fix it. He may whine but you've shown him the way and all he has to do is follow. He can use the money saved from the Atonement to pay for a Raise Dead- also a 5th level cleric spell.

And then this little gem pops up in a different thread

quote:

So my player is running a Paladin, he's a pretty nice guy. Does a lot of good for the community, but I know he could be doing more. And this makes me angry since he's not living up to the perfect standards of what I believe for the class, so I've got a bit of an axe to grind.

So he's scouting for the party in the woods, and ahead of him is a pretty well hidden pit trap. He doesn't spot it, so he can't avoid it. The reflex save is DC 25, and he in total gets a 25.

So I came here to ask you people of the boards: Did this paladin fall...into a pit and take 2d6 falling damage?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Should Palladium include GBLT characters in future books?

quote:

I voted No, not because of any issues with the gay or lesbian communities but because:

1. It is unnecessary to state an individuals sexuality in an RPG. if you would like to introduce Gay and Lesbian characters into your game simply assign NPC's or characters an additional stat and be done with it. You could include nightclubs communities and other facets of the gay community if you like.
2. It generates an unnecessary churn in an already scarce market.
3. What makes a gay character different from any other character generated? Are you looking to perpetuate stereotypes of what "Gay" is or do you just want to be inclusive, I feel gaming is inclusive enough already because you can do absolutely anything.

quote:

I say no. Some of the older books written back in the 80's and 90's may mention husband and wife. Some of the newer ones may too. It's not needed, it's all about the GM and what they are comfortable with. I had a GM who ran some of the villains out of Villains Unlimited as a gay group. They may not have been written that way, but that is how he saw them.

Put the power into the GM's hand, don't take it away.

And games like Rifts - it's post apocalyptic. Who cares what sex, orientation, or even race you are... You are Human or D-Bee... that's all that matters. They traded one set of groups for another. You still have the angst over my group is better than yours... it's just placed in a different way.

quote:

Absolutely not. Right now RPG's in general, and Palladium Books specifically, are under the radar on this issue. Let's not expose them to the crazies on either side of the issue. The last thing PB needs right now are protests or wild denunciations by people who'd otherwise have no interest in the company or its games.

quote:

I think it Should be Up to the Players to make ther Character Gay or Not.
Palladium should Not Impose Gay Npcs.Players should be the only Ones that have the Right to make Characters who are Gay.

quote:

It's already been done
LGBT are already represented. While not OVERTLY stated as an NPC, (I agree with others that it doesn't need to be spelled out, let the GM make it however they want) they are alluded to/hinted at with the Changeling and Dwarvling (in PF) and the Pleasure Bunny (in AtB2). All 3 of those are able to swap gender at will, which lends perfectly to the possibility of a same sex coupling (Bob the changeling becomes Mira the saloon girl to seduce Sheriff Tja'akir to find out where his brother is being held prisoner).

Stating it out right (in my opinion) isn't promoting equality, it's calling attention. Which do they want, Equality or Special Attention???

quote:

How many NPCs in Rifts are even described as having a hetero relationship?
There can't be many...
Rifts doesn't really exclude LGBT relationships so much as it doesn't bother writing about relationships at all - mainly because it isn't a teen drama show and doesn't need that level of detail. If there are such relationships described in Rifts (and I am sure there is at least a couple) it is because it is there to help establish plot.

quote:

If it were printed out as a character option say as a random table bit in the Rounding out your character section, (y'know where birth order, land of origin and such is) then you'll have someone come along and say "See it IS a choice, you get to choose to be LBGT or not" and on the flip side someone else is going to say "You can't put that in there as an OPTION, it isn't Optional we ARE that way." And now PB is in the middle of Drama it didn't need.

quote:

Honestly, this is a non-issue IMO. I honestly don't care either way. At my table, NPCs I want to be gay are gay, those I want to be straight are straight, and those that I want to reproduce by taking Japanese Schoolgirls and filling them with tentacle goo reproduce that way. That's power that every GM has, and every player has the ability to make their character gay, straight, or otherwise.

So, I ask this- why bring it up? Why MAKE it an issue?

quote:

I do not dislike GBLT people. I disagree with their lifestyle choice, (I believe it is a choice, that is my right. If you do not, that is your right.) but I do not dislike them as a group. I like or dislike people on an individual basis. I know people who are gay and am friendly with them. We're not best friends, but we're not bitter enemies either. To say that I dislike an entire group of people based on a single defining characteristic is to accuse me of discrimination and bigotry.

Is that what you're doing? I hope not; that would make you an @$$h0!e, and then I would dislike you.

EDIT: IF I were forced to choose something I dislike about the GBLT community as a whole, it would ostentatious flamboyancy.

quote:

Let's play the demographic game for a minute. I'm a 30+year old heterosexual, protestant, white male from the midwest that primarily votes along conservative republican lines. I make less than $30,000 annually. I don't own any firearms, don't smoke, rarely ever drink, I do not use any type of recreational drug, nor do I abuse any prescription drugs or other controlled substances. I enjoy many genre's of music (mostly country because it's easiest to sing along with.), television, film, and literature.

That's me. That's about as narrow a point as you can put on me without getting to specific and retain any sort of internet anonymity. Now I want to ask you Mr. Inclusive, am I being hurt by not having my own "this demographic" history month? Am I being hurt because I'm not represented as a character option in a game of make believe?

NO, I'm not. I am who I am and like what I like REGARDLESS of whether or not anyone recognizes me/includes me. No damage comes to me personally, socially, economically, religiously, ethnically, or otherwise because I (my specific demographic)didn't get written in/recognized in an RPG, Book, TV show, Movie, Video Game, Etc.. Maybe I need to hold a parade and a rally and get some lobbyists so that Chubby, Middle-aged, Under-employed, White guys can get the recognition they deserve!!! We demand EQUAL REPRESENTATION!

quote:

LGBT people can get married in many places now and that number is growing pretty quickly. They already have the same rights as everyone else - the battle has been won. Congratulations.
Now they seem focused on trying to take rights away from other people just like in this thread. Demands are being made of the writers and the publishers to instead print what they want to and have been printing but instead print what the LGBT community wants them to print. They are trying to take away the right of free speech to suit their own needs.
The time to shut up has come and passed already and everything post victory just seems to be counterproductive - tampering with the rights of others or trying to get more rights after equality has been achieved can only result in inequality.

Edit: I'm only halfway through the thread, folks!

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 18, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

A thread is started asking if the Empire is still sexist after FFG releases many cards / ships with Imperial ladies.

A white middle aged dude decides to weigh in on the Bechdel test:

quote:

I've never heard of this test, or any of the related tests before this.

They are all idiocy.

If I had any of these tests regulating what I can and can't watch, read, or otherwise enjoy, I'd be living a seriously limited existence.

I'll never understand the need of large numbers of people to find "someone like me" in every bit of media they consume.

If I followed their example, I'd never have enjoyed Alien(s), Hunger Games, or any number of other stories and properties.

People certainly limit themselves with the ways they label themselves.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Darwinism posted:

What is with the idea that paladins should fall if they unknowingly do something bad, the code of conduct listed in 3E explicitly states that they gotta willfully do something evil or grossly violate the code in order to fall.

I've yet to see a Paladin story where a Paladin fell because the player was trying to take advantage of the system. Even that one you posted made the Paladin sound like a wreckless badass who just got really unlucky with regards to balor's exploding in close proximity to NPCs.

OTOH....

quote:

The party had just been teleported thousands of miles away to find an artifact hidden in an ancient tomb. The teleporter gave us the name of the person the tomb was for and then teleported us 'to the tomb.' We landed in the middle of a patch of farmland... needless to say we were all quite confused. So, we went to the nearest town and began asking questions.

Bad news: The tomb we were looking for was swallowed up in an earthquake centuries ago...

Less bad news: We figured that it was probably still around maybe, so began thinking about ways to get in.

Our conclusion was to ask one of the little kids where really good hiding spots for. So we got the nine year old to show us the way to the ancient forgotten tomb of powerful artifacts and dooom.

So once we got to the caverns and such to where the temple is hidden, I told the kid that he needed to go back home, because now the big tough adventurers needed to go into caves to find the ancient forgotten tomb of powerful artifacts and dooooom.

Kid says no.

I tell the kid that his parents probably are worrying about him by now.

Kid says his parents suck.

Thief in the party (who is secretly evil and thinks my falling will be hilarious) says if we can't get him to go home, he should at least be equipped properly and hands the nine year old two completely ordinary daggers.

I tell both of them that that isn't enough, and the kid needs to go home.

Kid takes two swats at me with the daggers. Nat 20, nat 20...

I sigh, and say alright fine, buy stay close to me.

Kid leads us through the caves to the ancient forgotten tomb of powerful artifacts and dooooooom.

I look around for the kid, saying "Ok kid, stay close to me now, this place is dangerous."

Kid runs off before I finish speaking, runs up the stairs, where the Gargoyles flanking the steps jump up, and tear the nine year old kid, that I just let run into the ancient forgotten tomb of powerful artifacts and dooooooooom, to shreds.

I look at the Gargoyles, look at the pool of blood, look at the DM, and say "I'm not a Paladin anymore are I?"

DM: Don't you feel like a Paladin?
Me: No
DM: Then probably not.
Thief (and DM):
Most of them are like this: specifically traps set up by the DM and/or another player for no reason than to dick over the Paladin player. If Paladin falling mechanics only come into play because of a concerted effort to troll someone then I think maybe they can be left out.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Chaltab posted:

Most of them are like this: specifically traps set up by the DM and/or another player for no reason than to dick over the Paladin player. If Paladin falling mechanics only come into play because of a concerted effort to troll someone then I think maybe they can be left out.

Only Paladin falling story in my group:

Demon Prince: Do you have any wishes?
Paladin: A Holy Avenger please.
Demon Prince: As you wish. *vanishes and comes back with a Holy Avenger attached to a still bloody arm wearing plate mail belonging to the last Paladin who'd owned it*

(The demon prince was in no way disguising its nature as a demon prince; the entire table including the player of the Paladin considered that to be the Paladinly equivalent of a Darwin Award).

Grogtax:

quote:

So first we had Swine Pseudo-artistry, the white-wolf crowd going around trying to subvert gaming (and ultimately destroy all the parts of gaming they didn’t like) by claiming that RPGs have to be “works of art”, sophisticated sensitive and brilliant.

When that tactic failed, eventually they moved on to the Swine Pseudo-intellectualism: seeking to subvert gaming by claiming that RPGs had to be academic exercises, based on “Theories”, that rejected all the “incoherent” games that were merely about having fun, and that demanded that gaming be re-invented to suit the agendas of the self-styled intellectual elite at the Forge.

That has now fallen to pieces for the Swine as well. And I’ve been predicting that its only a matter of time before some creative Swine figure out some new angle that they think will win them that long-desired control, subversion, and destruction of all that’s good about the gaming hobby. I think that we may be seeing some of the Swine currently trying one of these angles out, in the form of Swine Pseudo-activism.

The Swine Pseudo-artists tried to mainly focus their assaults on the aesthetics of the game, on the setting, on things like product (with metaplot, etc), and the “fashion” of the game. When that failed, the Swine Pseudo-intellectuals put their primary focus on assaulting the foundational systems of the game, not just game mechanics but also the baseline mechanical assumptions of what defines an RPG, trying to change those definitions to suit their agenda. They were repulsed.

Now, they are going to try to subvert gaming by attacking neither setting nor system nor underlying definitions, but by attacking the social structures of the hobby; by accusing the hobby of perpetuating crimes against “social justice”, in other words the dominant morality as defined by a group of self-styled paragons of sensitivity in certain highly restricted bubbles of quasi-intellectual feminist-marxist liberalism; ironically, they’re taking something straight out of the Pat Pulling playbook by claiming that RPGs are immoral, these people who claim to love gaming. Strange way to show it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Hey, remember where we asked...

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Should Palladium include GBLT characters in future books?
Here's more answers! :haw:

quote:

writing in an LGBT relationship accomplishes nothing. I'm not saying, "don't do it", I'm saying, "why are you doing this?" Is it to further an agenda? Is it because of some kind of guilt? Or is it because a group is specifically lobbying you to support them?

And if it is, perhaps your priorities need to be examined. And the same exact reasoning goes for when a writer purposefully writes in a heterosexual relationship.

Basically, if you feel you have to consciously do something because you think you're not being inclusive, or are being coerced, then you're over-thinking it or doing it for the wrong reasons.

quote:

I would say that this should be in the same category as RW Religions. Unless its really necessary don't bring it up. There are few valid reasons I can see to explicitly make an issue of sexual orientation, and most of those would relate to making someone dislike the relationship and seek to scuttle it. Which then creates the issue of making what ever stance is 'the correct' one to solve the plot, the 'morally correct choice' Which is not something that is, in my view, desirable. Palladium so far has avoided discussing inter-religious relationships, inter racial, and inter species relationships, there is no need to wade into one of societies current social hot topics. There is nothing to gain, just things to lose.

quote:

The only book LGBT material belongs in is the same book regarding Heterosexual relationships. KS already wrote a small piece regarding relationships between Humans and D-bees. Personally I Believe with some it should be allowed and in our campaign it is. Back to topic however, Perhaps in the Future, PB Will follow the path of D&D and Forge a Carnal knowledge book ....other than that it should be personal and Campaign Bound.

quote:

I vote for Steve the Transvestite Crazie to be npcd in a rifter. Lol. Just dont forget the pink Mohawk and snake skin nails. Lmao

quote:

There is a difference between being called a christian and BEING a christian.
You will know them by their fruits. If they inspired hate towards anyone then they were not christians.

I am also sorry that you think that there are homosexual christens, but there are none. There are Christens that have troubles with homosexual urges, Yes. However, those who claim to be both Christian and homosexual are just fooling themselves and others. This is another thing about the difference between being a Christian and being called a christian.

Accepting those who sin as people is much different from opposing the sin they chose to do.(Note: Everybody has sinned so I'm not leaving anybody out with this one.)

Civil Rights is one thing and is not what is being talked about here. And will not be dragged into it by your posted link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Yes, odd to even have Temp HP when HP now apparently means a character's stamina.

What is Temp HP used for? Battlemaster giving away temps to allies? If Battlemaster actually heals his allies without magic I'm done with 5th. Too bad we won't find out until the PHB comes out. If Wizards had any integrity they would just tell us which way they ruled instead of letting it leak out like this and waste our time following this news.

If fighters can instantly heal fallen, unconscious allies by shouting at them from across the room, without magic, it will be the quickest refund I've ever shipped back to Amazon. Even if we end up playing the game, I'm not paying for that level of stupidity.

I want magic to feel magical and the first step to doing that is to make the mundane seem physically and logically possible.

• Locked thread