Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shows for regular people.

Nah just kidding, I never really got the use of the term 'genre show' either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It just means "science fiction-y".

And "soon to be cancelled" :smug:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

Nah just kidding, I never really got the use of the term 'genre show' either.

And why do they call them 'chick flicks'? Do you have to show them your tampon at the box office to buy a ticket?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Isn't genre show also used for fantasy? "Period piece" also confuses me because that can be used for anything as recent as the 90s all the way back to Mesopotamia, and they never say which period they mean.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
They're single-cam genre procedurals.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What's the practical difference single-cam and multi-cam?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Kraps posted:

Multi-cam is intended to evoke something akin to a stage production/play, while single-cam veers closer to pure tv production a la hour-longs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kraps posted:

Multi-cam is designed for a wide range of situations whereas wearing Single-cam intended for woodland in the desert is just going to get you shot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, multicam is objectively worse.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I know he doesn't get much love, but Jimmy Kimmel is the best at trolling stupid people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAd80eK2QNk

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

zoux posted:

Also, multicam is objectively worse.
You're not Irish Joe!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sober posted:

You're not Irish Joe!

[insert laugh track]

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Both procedurals and multicam comedies are objectively bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Good Wife owns.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
If you consider any TV good, then you cannot consider any TV bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

I know he doesn't get much love, but Jimmy Kimmel is the best at trolling stupid people.

Coming from you I consider that very high praise. Though I still think you've got the edge.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, in "Heroes Reborn" casting news they've announced that Jack Coleman aka "Mr Bennet" aka "HRG" is back for it. Although I doubt they'll have issues getting anybody back. Seeing as nobody from the show's career is really all that busy. I mean, yeah, Zachary Quinto is Spock but other than that he's not really doing all that much.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Deadpool posted:

Coming from you I consider that very high praise. Though I still think you've got the edge.

I'll miss your biting sarcasm.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GreenNight posted:

I'll miss your biting sarcasm.

There was not one bit of sarcasm there. Irish Joe is the best. Seriously, I think Irish Joe is awesome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Well, in "Heroes Reborn" casting news they've announced that Jack Coleman aka "Mr Bennet" aka "HRG" is back for it. Although I doubt they'll have issues getting anybody back. Seeing as nobody from the show's career is really all that busy. I mean, yeah, Zachary Quinto is Spock but other than that he's not really doing all that much.

And they didn't ask Claire back, who's probably the only one busy. Unless Nashville was canceled.

Plus she's pregnant now anyway, but I don't know when they start filming.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm surprised he never did much of anything after Heroes. Looks like mostly guest appearances on The Office, Burn Notice, Scandal, and Castle. Nothing permanent. He was good on Heroes before the show went to hell.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Oh wow, I didn't even recognize him in Scandal. He was good in it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
"Heroes Reborn" should be set in the dystopian future where Peter left his Irish girlfriend. Anything else is bullshit.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I forgot that Heroes Reborn is a thing. I guess it's cool that they got Jack Coleman on board, but what about Nissan? Have they signed on yet?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Don't worry, they will continue to make terrible cars whether they get show sponsorship or not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jingleheimer posted:

I forgot that Heroes Reborn is a thing. I guess it's cool that they got Jack Coleman on board, but what about Nissan? Have they signed on yet?

Save the Versas, save the viewers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hcreight posted:

Don't worry, they will continue to make terrible cars whether they get show sponsorship or not.
The GTR would like to have a word with you. :colbert:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I am excited to see if the TV show 'Mulaney' is able to turn around the generally accepted (and correct) motion that multicam sitcoms in the 2010s is garbage TV.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kraps posted:

"Period piece" also confuses me because that can be used for anything as recent as the 90s all the way back to Mesopotamia, and they never say which period they mean.
"Period piece" would be a good name for chick flicks. Or "menstrual show."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

The GTR would like to have a word with you. :colbert:

Oh cool, they're remaking My Mother the Car?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Nissan Versa is no more...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Doesn't Hayden Panatierre still have that Nashville show? I thought that was pretty popular.

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Period piece" would be a good name for chick flicks. Or "menstrual show."

Well I just got a terrifying mental image of what would be used as face paint in a menstrual show. :gonk:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Have any of you guys seen this Hotwire commercial? Apparently it's two weeks old but I just saw it on TV and I was amazed that it featured a gay couple and didn't make light of the fact that they were a gay couple at all. Just treated them like totally normal people. I'm proud of you, TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BaOAJsBPRw

So when looking up a clip of it on Youtube I find that of course lovely conservative groups are against it. Why would "One Million Moms" give a gently caress about this kind of thing anyway?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

Have any of you guys seen this Hotwire commercial? Apparently it's two weeks old but I just saw it on TV and I was amazed that it featured a gay couple and didn't make light of the fact that they were a gay couple at all. Just treated them like totally normal people. I'm proud of you, TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BaOAJsBPRw

So when looking up a clip of it on Youtube I find that of course lovely conservative groups are against it. Why would "One Million Moms" give a gently caress about this kind of thing anyway?

Aren't you acknowledging gay couples by choosing to put them in your commercial? "I want these gay people in my commercial." They're simply applying a show don't tell approach to gay people, so it doesn't just seem like they're prostituting equality. But the thing is gay people aren't normal people. Only 1 in 10 people are gay, just as many as the left handed. Clearly if you deviate from the norm, you are abnormal.

And that's why One Million Moms cares about this. Assuming that 50% of America is female, that's 150 million people. According to a census in 1976, 90% of women between ages 15-50 have become normal moms. Discounting females younger than 15 and all the single ladies, that's about 100 million moms with a ring on it.

Now, the 1 million moms that have pledged themselves to hatred out of 100 million total moms is 1% of all mothers. They deviate from the norm, thus they are abnormal, far more abnormal than gays or left handers. They simply wish for the same level of equality that overprivileged gays and left handed people have, and I think that this is a minority that has been ignored for far too long. :colbert:

Ravane fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 17, 2014

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

raditts posted:

Doesn't Hayden Panatierre still have that Nashville show? I thought that was pretty popular.

I don't think it's "popular" so much as "doing just well enough to not get cancelled", but I haven't watched since season 1 mostly because I don't give a poo poo about characters that aren't her's or Connie Britton's.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I don't think this is the first time they've cropped up when an ad showed gay people in a positive light. I think it was print ads before though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Should we throw a parade? Petition Obama to make it a national holiday?

Help me out here, what's the proper response to there being gays on tv?

edit: unacknowledged gays

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 17, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

edit: unacknowledged gays

What are you even trying to troll here Joe?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Irish Joe posted:

(I know it's Irish Joe but since someone else might actually agree ...) The thing that's cool about it is that it doesn't need a parade. Much like the PoI episode featuring the gay couple where one was a doctor, it's just played straight as if it's the most natural thing in the world. Because it is.

But don't worry, we still have Felix on Orphan Black for all the wacky stereotypically gay adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

EL BROMANCE posted:

I am excited to see if the TV show 'Mulaney' is able to turn around the generally accepted (and correct) motion that multicam sitcoms in the 2010s is garbage TV.

Nope, it doesn't. Mulaney was a whiny, unlikable jerk on his own show and Martin Short was just too much. It may get better over time, but it's basically Whitney for dudes.

We watched the pilots for Mulaney and Marry Me, because we love everyone involved, and they were both rather painful. Penny from Happy Endings was great when she was balanced with everyone else's crazy. A half hour of crazy Penny solo was just too much.

We also watched Madam Secretary, which is a calmer West Wing with a splash of Scandal, and it was good high-brow fun. Not as juicy or intriguing as The Good Wife, but a good companion show.

• Locked thread