Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Diogines posted:

It was not a hammer, but yes, he still has it, plainly visible. It is a common religious icon, he wears it openly.

Ok then. If the guards aren't honing in on one of Indor's icons in plan view, I doubt they're picking up on our meds (which would have a lesser presence, or the same, I imagine?).

So ditching them seems like a bad plan based on that information alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

FoxTerrier posted:

Ok then. If the guards aren't honing in on one of Indor's icons in plan view, I doubt they're picking up on our meds (which would have a lesser presence, or the same, I imagine?).

I agree

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Wait why are holy relics not allowed in the holy city? The sandals we haven't removed in a decade almost certainly count.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
It really does seem like the best plan is to just soldier on and hope they don't find it - and if they do, claim ignorance as to their true nature.

Just sucks we are going to be even more delayed as we are searched over and over again.

I'll change my vote from E to A; also I'll throw my hat in the ring and suggest we tell the guard our outfit (NOT the sandals) was given to us by a melachim, that must be it.

Who knows? Maybe he'll accept it and we save some time.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
poo poo, gently caress these racist honkeys and their war on drugs magic. Black power!

Actually, maybe they are stopping us just because we a giant black guy with a Minotaur. The potions should not be easily detected when Mount Har's presence is overwhelming everything else. Actually, maybe the guards since something is up and just can't pinpoint it because Mount Har and our own presence is throwing off their mighty radar.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

rex monday posted:

Wait why are holy relics not allowed in the holy city?
You ask Avram. He tells you that "It is uncommon, but sometimes old stones or tools or other things from the Old Tales are dug up in a farmers field, or found beneath old buildings in the city. Most is just old garbage but on rare occasion something more is dug up, something useful or valuable. The House of El has claim upon all such things, the guards watch out for men smuggling out of the city, but that has naught to do with us."

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

The soldiers force you to unpack your entire caravan. They look through it all carefully, poke and prod at the contents of your donkeys and search a few of your common Balls and pilgrims. They do not search you, your pack nor your Mighty Sons.

"Alright" one of the guards says when he finishes searching, sounding vaguely dissatisfied "you may continue on your journey."

You journey on, a short time later Avram comes beside you and says in a quiet tone "Benevolent Patron. Bringing witchcraft to the House of El is unwise, we need to get rid of the goods Indor gave you. Kadmonim sorceries are banned and other such witchcraft. We could..."

1. You..

A. "...bury it someplace safe, far off the road."
B. "...send it to the inn a few days back with one of your other men, just beyond Baitel's border. I know the innkeeper, he would watch the goods while we are in the city for a nominal fee, he can be trusted. Men sometimes leave serfs or other contraband there."

C. Tomorrow, before you reach the tower, give Indor's medicines to Snarls, he will go away from the tower and meet you after.
D. C., but with Paebel instead of Snarls.

E. I don't think it is Indor's medicine. I think it is something else, so I want to take another approach. What? Fill in.

F. I submit to the extended searches, wasting three hours each day.

G. Something else. Fill in.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

FoxTerrier posted:

Diog, can we sense a Presence from Paebel's hammer icon? How does it compare to our medicines or the dagger charm?

Also, A, let Snarls do the digging and the peeing. Somewhere safe, tho.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Wouldn't the person taking the contraband back to the Inn suffer from searches anyway?

Tentatively voting A for now.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
F. My dear chum Avram, I did say I was asking hypothetically, right? No witchcraft here! No sir.

Let's roll the dice.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
D & C send Pabel with snarls so people don't think a loving bear is on the loose and needs killing. Also the we don't offend him by asking him to surrender any charms he has. Just do this once and then we can see if these items are the problem or not before burying them and then finding out it was something else.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
B if they won't be searched on their way out, otherwise A

Send a couple of the Balls who we took on our special hunting trips for Indor, since they know what's up already.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Tomn posted:

Diog, can we sense a Presence from Paebel's hammer icon? How does it compare to our medicines or the dagger charm?
You can no longer detect any of them. You are too close to Mount Har.

I will check my notes when I get home, was I mistaken? I thought Paebel's icon was a mini greatsword.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Wouldn't the person taking the contraband back to the Inn suffer from searches anyway?
One person can easily go off road amd dodge the guard towers if needed.

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe

Razage posted:

D & C send Pabel with snarls so people don't think a loving bear is on the loose and needs killing. Also the we don't offend him by asking him to surrender any charms he has. Just do this once and then we can see if these items are the problem or not before burying them and then finding out it was something else.

I'll vote for this
if we can do this combined vote. I think it has the best chance for us to even see if these are the things causing the problem. We wouldn't want it to be our sandals or outfit and eventually someone confiscates them from us.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Razage posted:

Agreed, if that allows us to get through the checkpoint then we can see about hiding them somewhere.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

B

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
E. Imagine for a moment that you are a highly blooded guard from Baitel. The only people you ever meet are from Baitel or the neighboring cities. Sometimes they are tall, mighty folks with a strong presence. Sometimes they are regular-sized common folk who lack a presence. That is how life has always been for you. You've never questioned why this is the case, it just is.

Although we can't exclude that there are other factors at work that control whether a person develops a presence or not, we do know that our Balls seemed to develop them after they started fighting minotaurs. With two exceptions, all of our Balls, Blooded and unblooded alike, have presences. Maybe they are racist/classicist assholes who truly believe that Mighty Men can do no wrong, but to me it seems more likely they are confused by the presence of our common Balls. They probably think they're smuggling artifacts under their clothes, because to them the idea of an unblooded person having a presence is bizarre.

I don't think this is a thing we can or should fix.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

G - Put the medicine bag in a pile of minotaur poop on the mino cart, tell guards the wrongness is in the beast's bowels

Edit: Changed vote in later post

Aades fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 18, 2014

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Zybourne Clock posted:

E. Imagine for a moment that you are a highly blooded guard from Baitel. The only people you ever meet are from Baitel or the neighboring cities. Sometimes they are tall, mighty folks with a strong presence. Sometimes they are regular-sized common folk who lack a presence. That is how life has always been for you. You've never questioned why this is the case, it just is.

Although we can't exclude that there are other factors at work that control whether a person develops a presence or not, we do know that our Balls seemed to develop them after they started fighting minotaurs. With two exceptions, all of our Balls, Blooded and unblooded alike, have presences. Maybe they are racist/classicist assholes who truly believe that Mighty Men can do no wrong, but to me it seems more likely they are confused by the presence of our common Balls. They probably think they're smuggling artifacts under their clothes, because to them the idea of an unblooded person having a presence is bizarre.

This for me is the most likely theory.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Zybourne Clock posted:

I agree with all this.

I would however still like to E take a moment to focus on the caravan and see if anything seems out of whack.

Just in case.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A Snarls is a smart dog, I'm sure he'll remember where he buried them.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Diogines posted:

You can no longer detect any of them. You are too close to Mount Har.

I will check my notes when I get home, was I mistaken? I thought Paebel's icon was a mini greatsword.

Well, as a reminder then, and since I honestly have no idea where to begin looking in your old posts for this - did Paebel's icon ever display a presence, and how did it compare in the past to the medicines?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Zybourne Clock posted:

I find this persuasive. Ask the next guard if that is the problem

Absum
May 28, 2013

1. B

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

LLSix posted:

I find this persuasive. Ask the next guard if that is the problem

I agree with asking this

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Zybourne Clock posted:

Leaving all the question of how to get the guards to stop searching us aside, do we have any particularly compelling reason to bring the medicines and charms into Baitel given that they do in fact have a discernible presence? I was under the impression that we bought them along for emergencies on the road to Baitel, but now that we're almost here, are we particularly expecting to face dangers that might require their use?

Keep in mind that to use most of the medicines, we'd have to face something dangerous enough to injure our men, but not so powerful as to obliterate them entirely. Further, this danger will need to be passing enough to allow our men time to recuperate later. Are we thinking this is something likely enough that we really need the medicines on hand?

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
The sense that there's something off about our caravan could be coming from several different sources.

As long as we're smart about leaving our magical healing items behind I'm for it. Leaving them at the inn where people are accustomed to such things as a fact of normal business seems reasonable.

It may or may not get rid of the thing that's causing our caravan to be singled out, but it will remove a source of potential conflict anyway.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

B. "...send it to the inn a few days back with one of your other men, just beyond Baitel's border. I know the innkeeper, he would watch the goods while we are in the city for a nominal fee, he can be trusted. Men sometimes leave serfs or other contraband there."

This seems like the simplest solution. The Innkeeper would have to be really dumb to rob the travling band of monster hunters.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Hmmm, if I might indulge the paranoia of Enkidel a little bit, that message. IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH HAMLET? Maybe Tudikya discovered our ties to Indor, or maybe it's apart of a big thing we don't know about yet and that note is a "hey please enslave/murder/steal the blood of Enkidel when he arrives" kind of a secret note.

As for why we are being searched, I don't think it's the potion, we have accepted a lot of travellers we don't know. Who knows what they have?

Still, I vote to A

and then E Begin questioning everyone, politely to see if we can find something 'off'

Who knows, maybe it's us and all the death we sensed? Or just our natural offness.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Tomn posted:

Leaving all the question of how to get the guards to stop searching us aside, do we have any particularly compelling reason to bring the medicines and charms into Baitel given that they do in fact have a discernible presence? I was under the impression that we bought them along for emergencies on the road to Baitel, but now that we're almost here, are we particularly expecting to face dangers that might require their use?

Discernible, but barely so. As we approach Mount Har, we find it increasingly difficult to sense the slithers of Presence emanating from our pilgrims. The same will likely hold true for our potions.

Even if it doesn't, disposing of our goods comes with its own unique set of drawbacks. A freshly dug hole in the countryside might raise suspicion from a passing patrol, and we might also risk not being able to find the goods again. Avram suggests dropping off the cargo at a friend of his, but Agamemnon warned us the merchant is greedy and may double cross us. Our potions could potentially be worth 500 pounds of silver. It would be trivially easy for him to take it all, run for the nearest city, and retire on a pile of wealth bigger than that of the local king.

We have not had any issues with guards so far, except for the three hour delays. I believe it's safer to just hold onto them.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -