Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just did some chicken drumsticks - about two hours at 148, then rolled them in a mix of flour, cornmeal, chili powder, salt, pepper, and thyme, then browned them off in butter in a skillet. Deglazed with beer, let that reduce a smidge, then mixed in some sweet baby ray's, some sharp mustard, and and a good bit of louisiana hot sauce, then tossed the drumsticks back in to cover them with sauce.

A slightly thicker, crunchier crust would have been nicer, but they were incredibly moist and and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pork in the bag along with a can of diced green chiles and a couple of chipotles in adobo. 12 hours at 167F. Shredded, quick hot fry in a pan carnitas-style, threw in some of the bag juices. Pickled red onions and jalapenos on top.

So good.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

They could add a blow torch so it can sear my food once it's done

ehhh it's really not worth it, a hot pan is way better.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Question: I'm cooking a four pound chuck roast and overnight the water level dropped so around 5-10mm of the bag was exposed. Is this basically 'welp, you're hosed' mode or can I just go on with it? I'm cooking at 145 for what it's worth. Teach me not to have a cooler.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Pork spare ribs done 48h at 63c were absolutely amazing. Like butter, juicy and pink like ham.
They were breaking apart coming out of the bag.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Falcon2001 posted:

Question: I'm cooking a four pound chuck roast and overnight the water level dropped so around 5-10mm of the bag was exposed. Is this basically 'welp, you're hosed' mode or can I just go on with it? I'm cooking at 145 for what it's worth. Teach me not to have a cooler.

It's fine, the top part probably got pasteurized before the water level dropped.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Falcon2001 posted:

It's fine. It doesn't have to be perfectly covered by the water. While we're at it, a few little air bubbles don't matter either (some people really seem to worry about not getting every last bit of air out). Heat isn't just conducted from the water through the bag to the meat, but conducts within the meat itself - a bubble or a small portion of a large piece out of the water isn't going to have any effect. It's not like the center of your giant chunk of chuck is anywhere near contact with the water either.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Alright, thanks!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah it won't matter. You're fine.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
So uhh the Anova people are kinda taking advantage of the "holy crap everyone wants one there arent enough slots for people to back this" thing and introduced multiple cooker incentives (or whatever you want to call them). I couldn't originally get in until like $145 so I just went for the $540 5-pack. If anyone missed out on the earlier tiers and just wants one I'll have 3 or 4 to get rid of cheap :v:

also: recently SVed like 12 pounds of ribeye in 6 bags for a camping trip, just plugged half of a double sink and used that as a cooking vessel, worked great. I don't know why anyone would complain about the cooking volume of an Anova, I'm sure it could keep a goddamn barrel of water hot as long as the barrel isn't metal with fans blowing on it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Straker posted:

So uhh the Anova people are kinda taking advantage of the "holy crap everyone wants one there arent enough slots for people to back this" thing and introduced multiple cooker incentives (or whatever you want to call them).

Yeah 1.5 Million is rather cray cray.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Straker posted:

So uhh the Anova people are kinda taking advantage of the "holy crap everyone wants one there arent enough slots for people to back this" thing and introduced multiple cooker incentives (or whatever you want to call them). I couldn't originally get in until like $145 so I just went for the $540 5-pack. If anyone missed out on the earlier tiers and just wants one I'll have 3 or 4 to get rid of cheap :v:

also: recently SVed like 12 pounds of ribeye in 6 bags for a camping trip, just plugged half of a double sink and used that as a cooking vessel, worked great. I don't know why anyone would complain about the cooking volume of an Anova, I'm sure it could keep a goddamn barrel of water hot as long as the barrel isn't metal with fans blowing on it.

I'd be up for it, absolutely. Keep my name around.

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011

Straker posted:

I'd take one off your hands!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
So the chuck roast turned out amazingly. Only complaint is that I have no idea how I'm supposed to sear something that big so next time I might pre-sear instead of post-searing. I skipped it this time and just sliced it up and oh my god it was amazing. Made a sauce with the drippings and some red wine and a side of mashed potatoes and daaaaaaaaaamn son.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.

Straker posted:

So uhh the Anova people are kinda taking advantage of the "holy crap everyone wants one there arent enough slots for people to back this" thing and introduced multiple cooker incentives (or whatever you want to call them). I couldn't originally get in until like $145 so I just went for the $540 5-pack. If anyone missed out on the earlier tiers and just wants one I'll have 3 or 4 to get rid of cheap

Would also be interested when the time comes!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Straker posted:

Also interested in one if you find yourself with one spare, or if anyone else goes for a bulk pack. I already have an SVS, but I'd definitely like to replace it for a number of reasons. I suppose I'd end up keeping both anyway for multiple concurrent temps, but the SVS is lacking a lot of features for frequent use.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm trying various vegetables to see if anything special comes up. So far my favorites are carrots and shallots. Tried a tomato and some radishes at 83C/182F today. The radishes were not good. They tasted like the boiled vegetables of hospital dinners, very little left of the peppery awesomeness of raw ones. But the tomato was interesting. It tasted similar to canned tomatoes, but more intensely. I suppose the canning process is very similar to sous vide and that the tomatoes selected for canning are of a lower quality grade than the ones sold fresh. Might be interesting to try a selection of fresh ones svizzled instead of canned ones for a stew, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort compared to just chopping them up and letting it simmer slowly. Anyone have any good veggie tips?

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Spatule posted:

Pork spare ribs done 48h at 63c were absolutely amazing. Like butter, juicy and pink like ham.
They were breaking apart coming out of the bag.

Thanks for the suggestion - I did mine at 61.5c and they were amazing! I did a barbecue rub and seared them in lard afterwards and they were some of the juiciest ribs I've ever had.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I've got the Anova unit and love it. I'm soon to be moving into a house with some actual kitchen counter space. And drawers and shelves to keep poo poo in. So instead of leaving a pot of water sitting on the stovetop with the Anova clamped to it, I'd like to get some Cambro or similar and do the dremel trick to the lid.

Anyone have a good idea which size/shape would be a good fit? Since you've only got so far between the max/min fill lines, wider and broader's going to be better than taller and narrower, up to a point.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Save energy and get a Coleman Party Stacker Cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXoRMwP-Cg0

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Anova made their colour stretch goal. $1.8m with just under an hour to go :aaa:

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

Phanatic posted:

I've got the Anova unit and love it. I'm soon to be moving into a house with some actual kitchen counter space. And drawers and shelves to keep poo poo in. So instead of leaving a pot of water sitting on the stovetop with the Anova clamped to it, I'd like to get some Cambro or similar and do the dremel trick to the lid.

Anyone have a good idea which size/shape would be a good fit? Since you've only got so far between the max/min fill lines, wider and broader's going to be better than taller and narrower, up to a point.

I got this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQB63E/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a lid for it. Works pretty well, plus I can store a bunch of other stuff in it when not in use. I need to put a little plastic wrap over the open portion of the lid to let the Sansaire fit, but it loses very little water over long cooks, and it doesn't get hot so you can move it while it's going. If that's your jam.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
10,508 backers

$1,811,321 pledged of $100,000 goal

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

cheezit posted:

I got this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQB63E/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a lid for it. Works pretty well, plus I can store a bunch of other stuff in it when not in use. I need to put a little plastic wrap over the open portion of the lid to let the Sansaire fit, but it loses very little water over long cooks, and it doesn't get hot so you can move it while it's going. If that's your jam.

Seriously, just get a plastic cooler. Cheaper, way more efficient, multi-purposed. There's zero reason to use a cambro or a cambro-type product - they're inferior to coolers in every respect for sous vide.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

a foolish pianist posted:

Seriously, just get a plastic cooler. Cheaper, way more efficient, multi-purposed. There's zero reason to use a cambro or a cambro-type product - they're inferior to coolers in every respect for sous vide.

Better lid, I don't need to find a hole-saw to cover it, doesn't look like poo poo in my kitchen? I took a look at that route, but I like the Cambro.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So I guess Anova doesn't know what to do for their next stretch goal.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TXDR7BG

Wifi? A stand? A carrying case?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Anova ended already. Honestly Wi-Fi seems like the smarter thing to go for if you're going to do a connected device that's plugged into mains anyways, hell, my scale is WiFi connected.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Why does everyone want all their kitchen appliances to have wifi?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Haha, what does a wifi scale even do? Alert your wife that you're cheating on your diet?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Steve Yun posted:

Haha, what does a wifi scale even do? Alert your wife that you're cheating on your diet?

Push your weight up daily to a website/program that makes graphs and charts for you to look at, same reason those health watches have bluetooth.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Upload your weight automatically if you're too lazy to manually enter it, pretty much. Some people use them in weird ways like if they want to record their weight daily but not actually see the value. They also tend to cost several times as much as equivalent non-wifi scales.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Bob_McBob posted:

Upload your weight automatically if you're too lazy to manually enter it, pretty much. Some people use them in weird ways like if they want to record their weight daily but not actually see the value. They also tend to cost several times as much as equivalent non-wifi scales.

It was on special, I regret nothing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Bob_McBob posted:

Keeping up with the Jones'. Coworker lunch talk, "Oh your underwear doesn't talk to your phone over wifi? How old-fashioned!"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bob_McBob posted:

Look honey! I don't have to set the stand mixer's power setting with old fashioned dial anymore! I just take out my phone, press a button which triggers a command to be sent over the 3G network to a web service in the cloud where it takes my ID and the command, matches the ID against the database of stand mixers, queues up the command for the stand mixer, waits for the stand mixer to phone home to its web service and download its command, which it then executes so the bread is now being kneaded at 4 instead 3! Isn't the future amazing?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Look, it doesn't NEED WiFi, but if you're going to do any sort of connectivity for the kitchen while connected to AC power bluetooth is pants in the head retarded compared to WiFi.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I know piling on new technology as terrible is a thing people like to do on the internet for some reason but pardon my ignorance here, with people SVing their stuff for 24-72 hours on occasion wouldn't some kind of wifi accessible status control be useful? That way if there's some kinda critical failure while you're at work or something at least you could know and somehow perhaps salvage it?

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Related:

I bought an Anova (the original), I haven't received it yet but I have a question: what happens if the power goes off for a second or two? Is it basically '...welp'?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

deimos posted:

Look, it doesn't NEED WiFi, but if you're going to do any sort of connectivity for the kitchen while connected to AC power bluetooth is pants in the head retarded compared to WiFi.

WiFi would allow for desktop app integration, whereas bluetooth leaves it primarily in the "mobile app" territory.

FishBulb posted:

I know piling on new technology as terrible is a thing people like to do on the internet for some reason but pardon my ignorance here, with people SVing their stuff for 24-72 hours on occasion wouldn't some kind of wifi accessible status control be useful? That way if there's some kinda critical failure while you're at work or something at least you could know and somehow perhaps salvage it?

Agreed, but how often are we actually changing anything with the cooker? I can't imagine any change other than taking something like brisket, cooking at 180f and then dropping to a hold temperature.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Foodahn posted:

Related:

I bought an Anova (the original), I haven't received it yet but I have a question: what happens if the power goes off for a second or two? Is it basically '...welp'?

Yes, you need to plug it into a UPS if that's a concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

uPen posted:

Yes, you need to plug it into a UPS if that's a concern.

There are very few home UPSes that can take the power spike from a heater, even fewer that won't burst into flames, I wouldn't do that.

The original Anova would restart fine if the power outage was short enough, I think this was a firmware update though so earlier models have a different behaviour.