Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Nobody posted:

What I don't like is that the girl is one traffic jam away from suicide.

It's a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation. People with depression can have that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The only thing about that scene that bothers me is that iirc Geoff Johns beat him to it in JSA with the Kingdom Come Superman.

Do you know what issue because I really need to see that, maybe it will help me appreciate the All Star version a lot more.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Mister Nobody posted:

It would be weird if you did like it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The only thing about that scene that bothers me is that iirc Geoff Johns beat him to it in JSA with the Kingdom Come Superman.

All Star Superman #10 came out in May of 2008 but it was finished for a while, Johns had read it. His version of the scene was intended to be an homage.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Thinking about I guess she makes a good counterpoint to Lex's niece who seems obsessed with death but it's all just window dressing to make herself seem cool to her uncle.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
All-Star Superman is so god drat good.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You don't know her back story any more than the rest of us. She obviously was at a critical phase which is why she was ready to end her own life. ZOMG SHE'S GOTH SHE WANTS TO DIE is an idiotic observation to make.

You're an idiot. The artistic shorthand of goth = suicide was a complaint being made.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Potsticker posted:

You're an idiot. The artistic shorthand of goth = suicide was a complaint being made.

It's a loving idiotic complaint to be made and he also complained about how she was just one traffic jam away from suicide so you can get stuffed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

It's a loving idiotic complaint to be made and he also complained about how she was just one traffic jam away from suicide so you can get stuffed.

Stop being such a baby you aren't even morrison jesus christ.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are the Thunderbolts books right after Siege where Luke Cage takes over the team any good? I don't know that I've read anything by Jeff Parker before.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Are the Thunderbolts books right after Siege where Luke Cage takes over the team any good? I don't know that I've read anything by Jeff Parker before.

Yes Jeff Parker is really good.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

I liked them quite a lot. Boomerang and Satana and Mister Hyde had great, fun personalities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes Jeff Parker is really good.

And then that goes right into the Charles Soule, correct? Which I've also heard is very good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

And then that goes right into the Charles Soule, correct? Which I've also heard is very good.

No there is an awful Way run.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Less idiodic than the guy who said it wouldn't have made as much impact for him if she dressed in a less "alternative" style. Because people who are depressed don't matter if they aren't qt goth girls, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Potsticker posted:

Less idiodic than the guy who said it wouldn't have made as much impact for him if she dressed in a less "alternative" style. Because people who are depressed don't matter if they aren't qt goth girls, right?

I made no such implication. Every criticism of the scene that has been posted on the last few pages of this thread are all terrible and pulled from thin air.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This guy you idiot.

prefect posted:

I don't think he's saying "all kids who dress like this are depressed". I actually like that it's an "alternative" kid that Superman is helping -- if it had been a polished and popular kid, I would feel less sympathy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

zoux posted:

As much as we would like to pretend, no, Thunderbolts' single bad run was between the two.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Potsticker posted:

This guy you idiot.

What are you even arguing at this point?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rhyno posted:

What are you even arguing at this point?

That you have an inability to read posts, leading to you arguing with a guy who shared your views and then again with me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Potsticker posted:

That you have an inability to read posts, leading to you arguing with a guy who shared your views and then again with me.

I never denied that either. You obviously don't know poo poo about engaging me in conversation.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mister Nobody posted:

Im not trying to ruin it . I'm sorry if I offended you.

The point of the scene was to directly show that Superman cares about and believes in everyone. A big point of the book is Superman as loving, capital G God, and the book gets a ton of credit for doing that with the minimum amount of schmaltz.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'd argue that the scene is more effective because she's dressed as a goth, but any outsider subculture would do. The point isn't "haha goths kill themselves amirite", it's "Superman loves you and wants to help, even if you're an outsider".

I really didn't think that needed explaining.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Potsticker posted:

I'm sorry if I offended you; that wasn't my intention.

CapnAndy posted:

I'd argue that the scene is more effective because she's dressed as a goth, but any outsider subculture would do. The point isn't "haha goths kill themselves amirite", it's "Superman loves you and wants to help, even if you're an outsider".

I really didn't think that needed explaining.

Thanks for explaining it better than I did. :tipshat:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mister Nobody posted:

Do you know what issue because I really need to see that, maybe it will help me appreciate the All Star version a lot more.

Somewhere in that arc in JSA volume 2 where Kingdom Come Superman comes to the mainline DCU.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

HitTheTargets posted:

Morrison dropped out after only one or two issues. He was doing it concurrently with Batman and I think Final Crisis (edit: it was 52). They got Keith Giffen to finish the planned 12 issue run, and even had the gumption to call it The Lost Year.

That said I don't really remember it. Maybe I never read it? I know I read the Midnighter solo stuff and that was a little uneven in my eyes.

It wasn't anything exceptional, but Lost Year was a decent read. It was about the team trying to get back home and instead bouncing back through different realities and having to fight their way out. From what I recall they were:

- A reality that appeared to be the "real world" where there were no powers and they existed as comic book characters. Turns out there was some cosmic parasite syphoning away Earth's energies, which was why superheroes didn't exist.

- A world where none of the other Wildstorm heroes ever existed. Nobody kept them in check, so the Authority got too powerful for their own good and soon went to war with themselves. The world was split in two: magic vs. science and Midnighter was the wild card. Jenny Sparks was still alive because of a spell via the Doctor that kept the date December 31, 1999 at all times.

- A goofball world where the Authority are a bunch of joke superheroes written by Giffen and DeMatteis. Midnighter and Apollo are always trying to make a buck and keep insisting that they are NOT GAY SHUT UP! If anything, read these two issues.

- A world where the Authority took over completely and locked up all the other superheroes. They became super corrupt and over the course of the story, started turning on each other out of paranoia. I don't remember much about it except for a really creepy bit where they showed how that world's Authority dealt with their Doctor (the original, white one) when they had no need for him, yet didn't want to kill him because that would create a new Doctor to worry about.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Better or worse than a Bendix keeping his soul in a jar?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not goth, that's emo. Do you guys even watch South Park? God!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I've always wondered why comic covers are almost never drawn by the interior artist these days. Is it just a time thing or is there a lovely business part involved? I bet it's cheaper to pay a guy for 22 pages then another guy as just a cover artist who does multiple books a month.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

HitTheTargets posted:

Better or worse than a Bendix keeping his soul in a jar?

Worse because it involved locking him in an apartment, constantly drugged to the gills and with Fairchild and Freefall (never mentioned by name or at all) equally strung out and presumably there for him to gently caress. I seem to recall him having Habib in the apartment somehow and telling him something along the lines of, "Hey, I killed this world's version of you at one point. Would you mind killing me, please?"

Then again, it's been a long time since I've read it so I might be getting the details wrong.

On the subject of the Authority, I consider Dream War (DC vs. Wildstorm) to be awesome because it was like a total deconstruction of "____ would totally kill _____ in a fight!"

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Aphrodite posted:

That's not goth, that's emo. Do you guys even watch South Park? God!

This is the gold standard of emo, fyi

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You're one to talk Jughead.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good piece of software to catalog comics? I've seen Comic Collectorz pop up a lot online, and it seems pretty good, but figured I'd see if anyone else had anything. Doesn't need to be free.

Prefer that it's stored locally (I've seen a few web based versions) and ideally the ability to scan a barcode with my phone to add to collection would be fantastic. I'd like to start cataloging my collection but I've got about 20 long boxes and hauling them up to the computer is not ideal.

*edit* The main thing I don't like about the Collectorz is the annual subscription

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I did this quick and dirty in paint.

...I'll see myself out.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 17, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Unmature posted:

I've always wondered why comic covers are almost never drawn by the interior artist these days. Is it just a time thing or is there a lovely business part involved? I bet it's cheaper to pay a guy for 22 pages then another guy as just a cover artist who does multiple books a month.

From everything I understand covers and interior pages are billed separately, so it's not necessarily cheaper. Also the cost of getting a big-name artist to do the cover is a bargain compared to having them do the interiors, and is more likely to catch a reader's attention. Not matter what you have on the interior, getting a buyer to actually pick up and look at a comic is the biggest hurdle to selling it. It's vastly more likely to sell if you can get somebody to physically hold a book in their hands. This is part of why gimmick covers became a big deal in the 90s, at least until the market became so saturated with the drat things they lost all impact.

On the artist side of things, covers pay much better, generally speaking, for the amount of work involved. For artists in high demand, it's a better way to make money than doing interiors, which are a pain in the rear end comparatively. A guy like Adam Hughes can make a living just doing covers and pinups and gently caress all else. It's disappointing to see somebody like Amanda Conner focus more on cover illustrations, but it's hard to blame her given the economics of it all.

There's also time considerations as well; there are artists like Art Adams that will never, ever hold down a regular book, but getting them to do a cover or single issue is more viable. Some people in the cover art biz just aren't fast (or reliable) enough to have them do interiors, and find doing covers just to be a better way to work at their own pace.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 17, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Reading my way through X-Statix and have a couple of geography questions.

One of the characters mentioned "51 states" in respect to America. It was really off hand and confused me.

Also, why do the characters keep saying "Europa". I'm assuming they were talking about Europe?

Couldn't really find anything via Google.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't know about X-statik but Europa is one of Jupiter's moons. It is most notable for having an atmosphere of oxygen and is almost entirely covered in ice. The theory that that leads to is there is water under the ice and that it could be a place where life has been in the past or currently is. The non batshit crazy conspiracy theories are that the life found there, or evidence of past life, would likely be similar to life found in the deep ocean on Earth.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 17, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uthor posted:

Reading my way through X-Statix and have a couple of geography questions.

One of the characters mentioned "51 states" in respect to America. It was really off hand and confused me.

Also, why do the characters keep saying "Europa". I'm assuming they were talking about Europe?

Couldn't really find anything via Google.

I haven't read X-Statix (I know, I know; I am shamed), but they're celebrities, right? They could be dummies who don't know how many states there are, and they could be pretentious jerks who think "Europa" is a fancy way to say "Europe". But I'm guessing. :)

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

From everything I understand covers and interior pages are billed separately, so it's not necessarily cheaper. Also the cost of getting a big-name artist to do the cover is a bargain compared to having them do the interiors, and is more likely to catch a reader's attention. Not matter what you have on the interior, getting a buyer to actually pick up and look at a comic is the biggest hurdle to selling it. It's vastly more likely to sell if you can get somebody to physically hold a book in their hands. This is part of why gimmick covers became a big deal in the 90s, at least until the market became so saturated with the drat things they lost all impact.

On the artist side of things, covers pay much better, generally speaking, for the amount of work involved. For artists in high demand, it's a better way to make money than doing interiors, which are a pain in the rear end comparatively. A guy like Adam Hughes can make a living just doing covers and pinups and gently caress all else. It's disappointing to see somebody like Amanda Conner focus more on cover illustrations, but it's hard to blame her given the economics of it all.

There's also time considerations as well; there are artists like Art Adams that will never, ever hold down a regular book, but getting them to do a cover or single issue is more viable. Some people in the cover art biz just aren't fast (or reliable) enough to have them do interiors, and find doing covers just to be a better way to work at their own pace.

In addition to this, "almost never" is a pretty huge over-statement. While it's common for big two books to have different cover artists, I think percentage wise they'd still break down as a minority of cases, as it's still pretty normal for the interior artist to also do the cover pencils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know about X-statik but Europa is one of Jupiter's moons. It is most notable for having an atmosphere of oxygen and is almost entirely covered in ice. The theory that that leads to is there is water under the ice and that it could be a place where life has been in the past or currently is. The non batshit crazy conspiracy theories are that the life found there, or evidence of past life, would likely be similar to life found in the deep ocean on Earth.

In this case, Europa sure looks a lot like generic "England" and is home to a pop celebrity. Though the moon explanation did pop into my head at one point.