Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

raditts posted:

Have any of you guys seen this Hotwire commercial? Apparently it's two weeks old but I just saw it on TV and I was amazed that it featured a gay couple and didn't make light of the fact that they were a gay couple at all. Just treated them like totally normal people. I'm proud of you, TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BaOAJsBPRw

So when looking up a clip of it on Youtube I find that of course lovely conservative groups are against it. Why would "One Million Moms" give a gently caress about this kind of thing anyway?

Its called marketing dumbass and it looks like you bought it hook line and sinker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hcreight posted:

Don't worry, they will continue to make terrible cars whether they get show sponsorship or not.

If Nissan is your idea of a "terrible" car I can only assume you have never driven anything made by Chevrolet after 1980. Or Ford.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VorpalBunny posted:

Nope, it doesn't. Mulaney was a whiny, unlikable jerk on his own show and Martin Short was just too much. It may get better over time, but it's basically Whitney for dudes.

We watched the pilots for Mulaney and Marry Me, because we love everyone involved, and they were both rather painful. Penny from Happy Endings was great when she was balanced with everyone else's crazy. A half hour of crazy Penny solo was just too much.

That's a real shame, as those are my 'these two shows have people I really like in them, but I'm worried...'

Was Mulaney essentially a love letter to Seinfeld? That's the only reason I can imagine him making a MC sitcom in 2014. Either that or someone told him he's more likely to get viewers that way, and make decent money after a few renewals.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

scary ghost dog posted:

Its called marketing dumbass and it looks like you bought it hook line and sinker

So what if it is, what the gently caress does that have to do with anything? That Cheerios commercial with the interracial couple that idiots poo poo themselves over was marketing too but I liked that one as well, do I need to check in with you for a list of what is and is not suitable to enjoy on TV because they might be trying to sell me something?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

raditts posted:

So what if it is, what the gently caress does that have to do with anything? That Cheerios commercial with the interracial couple that idiots poo poo themselves over was marketing too but I liked that one as well, do I need to check in with you for a list of what is and is not suitable to enjoy on TV because they might be trying to sell me something?

Just keep enjoying commercials for no reason other than being planted firmly in the target demographic

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

scary ghost dog posted:

Just keep enjoying commercials for no reason other than being planted firmly in the target demographic

I know being a dickhead about absolutely everything is the hot new thing for everyone to do around here and all and I don't even know what you're trying to rage against here, but if the target demographic is "people who are pleasantly surprised at seeing different types of people on TV that are not painted as wacky stereotypes" then yes I will keep enjoying them, thank you :)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

raditts posted:

I know being a dickhead about absolutely everything is the hot new thing for everyone to do around here and all and I don't even know what you're trying to rage against here, but if the target demographic is "people who are pleasantly surprised at seeing different types of people on TV that are not painted as wacky stereotypes" then yes I will keep enjoying them, thank you :)

Scary ghost dog is a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone at all times. Don't take it personally, he likes to try being a tough dude.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Steven Soderbergh directed all 10 episodes of The Knick. A hospital drama starring Clive Owen. It's great when Soderbergh un-retires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_xvw-_YJSo

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

I don't even know what you're trying to rage against here, but if the target demographic is "people who are pleasantly surprised at seeing different types of people on TV that are not painted as wacky stereotypes" then yes I will keep enjoying them, thank you :)

Look, if this guy is more entertained by a Cheerios commercial because it has a bunch of gays on it than, say, Game of Thrones for being an exciting, well written and expertly produced drama, more power to him. His tastes might be the equivalent of a baby fascinated by shiny objects, but by god, they're his tastes. And nothing you, I, or anyone says will change that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Irish Joe for mod.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Irish Joe posted:

Look, if this guy is more entertained by a Cheerios commercial because it has a bunch of gays on it than, say, Game of Thrones for being an exciting, well written and expertly produced drama, more power to him. His tastes might be the equivalent of a baby fascinated by shiny objects, but by god, they're his tastes. And nothing you, I, or anyone says will change that.

I just want to frame this post and put it at the top of the forum forever.

:golfclap:

e: oh, and thread for Rectify 2: Rectify THIS

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643961

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey assholes, just let the guy enjoy the commercial he likes. Jesus. You bring up interesting points about it that do have merit but nobody really cares because you're acting like assholes about it. So maybe just don't be assholes. Just a suggestion.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

They're more entertaining than any given episode of 2 Broke Girls, that's for drat sure.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
What scary ghost dog is (as far as I can tell) trying to say is that Hotwire didn't go with a gay couple by sheer coincidence. They specifically picked a gay couple because it would trigger exactly the reaction that you displayed in your post. Most people would think it was completely inoffensive. Some would share it with their friends/readers because it features a gay couple, as you did. Most importantly, conservative groups would flip a poo poo, and other media outlets would report on their outrage, causing people to watch the ad without Hotwire having to pay for it. It's purely a marketing tactic.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

In Boardwalk Empire final season news: What.

:psyduck:

They should have gotten more seasons :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nevertheless, people think that what they see on TV is what real life is, and showing gay couples just being around and normal and unremarkable is a step towards normalizing gay couples in society so while it there are sinister capitalist motives behind it, it is a net benefit to society.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Nevertheless, people think that what they see on TV is what real life is, and showing gay couples just being around and normal and unremarkable is a step towards normalizing gay couples in society so while it there are sinister capitalist motives behind it, it is a net benefit to society.

Precisely this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I know it's not been very long since people last freaked out over Rectify in here, but seriously you all should watch season 1 on Netflix and come join us. It's one of the best dramas in years.

And precision and zoux are right on the money about the ad.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I enjoyed Season 1 of Rectify, but goddamn was it a slow burn. I hope things pick up a little more this season.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hcreight posted:

I enjoyed Season 1 of Rectify, but goddamn was it a slow burn. I hope things pick up a little more this season.

For me the slow burn is a big part of the appeal, so I don't agree.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For better or worse, the (seemingly very spoilery) preview for season 2 looks like things are going to get pretty crazy and not be very slow at all. Of course, it could be typical network misleading promo #1,009,238. At least there are 10 episodes instead of 6 this year so we should get quite a bit more progression in the overall story as well.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

JohnSherman posted:

What scary ghost dog is (as far as I can tell) trying to say is that Hotwire didn't go with a gay couple by sheer coincidence. They specifically picked a gay couple because it would trigger exactly the reaction that you displayed in your post. Most people would think it was completely inoffensive. Some would share it with their friends/readers because it features a gay couple, as you did. Most importantly, conservative groups would flip a poo poo, and other media outlets would report on their outrage, causing people to watch the ad without Hotwire having to pay for it. It's purely a marketing tactic.

Well no poo poo, it's a commercial so of course it's a marketing tactic. Is the fact that things you see on commercials are designed to sell you things a secret to anybody here? Regardless of the motive, it's a nice thing to see, and it's certainly no reason to get all smug and surly and dickish about it.

zoux posted:

This guy gets what I was trying to say.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You know, considering how completely loving impotent they are, I am starting to wonder if One Million Moms might actually be a sham group created to drum up attention- and so good PR- for when companies acknowledge that gay people exist.

I mean, it's still good for the companies to do so because it's an indicator of larger social change, but I'm trying to remember if OMM have ever done anything besides complain about commercials.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maxwell Lord posted:

You know, considering how completely loving impotent they are, I am starting to wonder if One Million Moms might actually be a sham group created to drum up attention- and so good PR- for when companies acknowledge that gay people exist.

I mean, it's still good for the companies to do so because it's an indicator of larger social change, but I'm trying to remember if OMM have ever done anything besides complain about commercials.

They're a spinoff project from the anti gay hate group American Family Association. I presume they exist primarily so the AFA can lead its campaigns without being directly tied to the hate group label. Kind of a "softer arm" of the group that can focus on Ellen and commercials making your kids gay while the AFA is busy telling people Hitler and the Nazis were a gay group.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 17, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Lugaloco posted:

In Boardwalk Empire final season news: What.

:psyduck:

They should have gotten more seasons :smith:
Don't think they'll start with the time jump but being their last season, it kinda sucks on the same level of what Rome probably had to do and condense the poo poo and time jump the gently caress out of everything in its last season.

That is actually a super huge time jump, which sounds depressing as gently caress. I mean going 5 seasons is good regardless, but I'm hoping they save that for the finale stretch or something.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Bitching about commercials is their niche. The hate groups love to specialize, and remember there's BIG money out there to back these oxygen thieves in all their endeavors. But if we're tossing out weird theories, I often find it hard to tell if the people making bank running them are true believers or just amoral mercenaries.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ravane posted:

Now, the 1 million moms that have pledged themselves to hatred out of 100 million total moms is 1% of all mothers.

The group is called One Million Moms, but from the last terrible news I remember hearing about them their membership is around something like 15,000. They're a branch of crackpot group The American Family Association, a group noted for hilarious and sad poo poo like this:

edit: dang, didn't notice the post above

quote:

In August 2012, AFA Director of Issue Analysis Bryan Fischer compared the children of gay parents to slaves, tweeting that "we need an Underground Railroad to deliver innocent children from same-sex households".

AFA California leader Scott Lively is a co-author of The Pink Swastika (published 1995), which claims that all of the major leaders in the Nazi regime were homosexual, a claim which is rejected by historians.

On April 16, 2007, following the Virginia Tech Massacre, the AFA released a video titled The Day They Kicked God out of the Schools, in which God tells a student that students were killed in schools because God isn't allowed in schools anymore. The video claims that the shootings at Virginia Tech and Columbine, among others, are in part the result of: decreased discipline in schools; no prayer in schools; sex out of wedlock; rampant violence in TV, movies, and music; or abortions.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Time jumps is my favorite plot device in TV, but it kind of stinks to have one spoiled.

A time jump after dexter season 4 could have saved the show.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Fooz posted:

Time jumps is my favorite plot device in TV, but it kind of stinks to have one spoiled.

A time jump from season 4 to the last episode of Dexter, where he dumps his sister in the ocean and starts his life anew as a lumberjack would be perfect.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fooz posted:

A time jump to it not being on anymore? From what I've heard from people that watched it that would've been the only way to save it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fooz posted:

I can't think of a show where a time jump has been done well. It seems to be the go-to device for "we've written ourselves into a corner and have no idea where to go from here, so... FIVE YEARS LATER!"

Eureka took it to a whole new level with a cross-dimension jump, where a few of the main characters got sent to an alternate dimension which rebooted every other character into alternate roles and brought several back from the dead, basically rendering the entire show up to that point moot.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Fringe was weird too. The time jump wasn't really out of nowhere IIRC, but they should've ended the preceding season with the invasion or what have you rather than "and that was that" if you ask me.

Mad Men also time jumps inbetween seasons but I guess that's mostly the virtue of not having to recast Sally and occasionally Glen (going back to the earlier seasons is really weird with them).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eureka just seemed determined to confuse the poo poo out of you with all the weird time and dimensional jumps. I still don't loving know the deal with Carter and Zoe passing themselves on the road. Eureka was the darkest, most twisted, and confusing "light" and friendly show I've ever seen.

I miss it.

Supernatural does routine small time jumps like Mad Men that usually work out fine. But they're mostly there to just cover up some story time, not to try and change up the game.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

raditts posted:

I can't think of a show where a time jump has been done well. It seems to be the go-to device for "we've written ourselves into a corner and have no idea where to go from here, so... FIVE YEARS LATER!"

Lost, Fargo

Hopefully Parks n' Rec.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 18, 2014

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
BSG, 24 to some extent, most definitely Alias, Six Feet Under, Christ even True Blood. And that's off the top of my head.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I definitely would not add 24 or Alias to any list of examples of "good" time jumps. Didn't Alias do it to distance itself from the previous season, because the previous season was just that bad?

Time jumps in 24 serve mainly to pass enough time between seasons for the next friend or relative of the Palmer family to become President, because democracy seems to work wildly differently in the 24 world.

I've never actually seen Six Feet Under, I guess I should fix that some time.

STAC Goat posted:

Eureka just seemed determined to confuse the poo poo out of you with all the weird time and dimensional jumps. I still don't loving know the deal with Carter and Zoe passing themselves on the road.

And you never will, because dimension jump.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 18, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Six Feet Under had like 8 time jumps

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

raditts posted:

I definitely would not add 24 or Alias to any list of examples of "good" time jumps. Didn't Alias do it to distance itself from the previous season, because the previous season was just that bad?

Time jumps in 24 serve mainly to pass enough time between seasons for the next friend or relative of the Palmer family to become President, because democracy seems to work wildly differently in the 24 world.

I've never actually seen Six Feet Under, I guess I should fix that some time.

Alias's time jump actually happened after the best season of the show, and everything went downhill after the time jump.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

Remember the first episode when random rifts open up in space time because of a defective time machine thing? So that rip in space time causes a window effect to appear between the old Carters and the new ones. So they get a glimpse of themselves five years into the future of an alternate dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

hope and vaseline posted:

Alias's time jump actually happened after the best season of the show, and everything went downhill after the time jump.

I would say 3 was mostly great, but yeah. Things went off a cliff a bit after that. I wouldn't blame any of it on the time jump though, which actually did some interesting things.

• Locked thread