Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BobHoward posted:

Yes, the 920 is still a useful CPU, but so is a Core 2.

Yeah. Nehalem was OK, but I really think it's worth upgrading from. Sandy is a different story, and seriously cut down on power consumption compared to Nehalem.

Power consumption/heat/noise alone would make me want to get Haswell if I had Nehalem still, let alone flat out the better performance.

Edit: with the loving exception of a 980X or 990X. They were just badass as hell, and if I had one I'd be pushing that thing for years to come, in the same way someone with Sandy-E or Ivy-E no doubt will also do.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Its a really interesting time we live in considering the processing power of procs isn't really falling that much with respect to apps yet their prices fall considerably with time so you end up flooding the market with totally useable hardware for a fraction of the cost. Probably undercutting the new low end. I mean I'd rather have more cores and more processing power by buying used high end last gen hardware than new low end hardware but thats just me.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

BobHoward posted:

I'm pretty sure you didn't do much legwork making sure your post was factual here because the first benchmarking site I pulled up (Anandtech's "Bench") shows a 4790 faster than a 920 by a ratio greater than 2x in some of the single thread CPU tests. Granted, there's not a lot of tests from 2008 that AT still runs on modern CPUs, but still.

Yes, the 920 is still a useful CPU, but so is a Core 2. Can we stop with the mythmaking? It's over 5 years old, and real progress has actually been made since then. It's time to let go and acknowledge that your pride and joy is obsolete.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7189/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-september-2013

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It reads like some of you get really hung up on clock rate with regards to measuring progress.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Its pretty natural I guess. Clock rate has been hitting a wall for sure. But clock for clock is just as important of course. I'll save the car analogies but there are plenty

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

go3 posted:

It reads like some of you get really hung up on clock rate with regards to measuring progress.

It reads to me like benchmarks show less than 10% difference (for single video cards) between a stock clocked 920 and a 4770K in games. Guess which one overclocks well.

DC might be the first worthwhile upgrade to the 920 simply because of how well DC overclocks, not because of stock clock, the surrounding benefits (better power consumption, better chipset, faster SATA, etc) are just now outweighing the smaller performance gain of the CPU itself.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
An i7-920 system is using double the power of a Haswell i7 system, though. Overclocked, that can easily jump to 4x the power. And that article leaves out one of the most important CPU-dependent gaming metrics: minimum framerate. If you follow articles that measure 99th percentile frame times/minimum FPS (such as on Tech Report), an i7-920 is the kind of chip an FX-8350 could compare favorably against. It's not "bad," in the sense of being unplayable, but there's much stuttering-type badness than a Haswell chip just would not have, and that's not reflected in average framerates.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The number of games you're going to encounter that are regularly bottlenecked by CPU performance could be counted on maybe 2 hands

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

deimos posted:

It reads to me like benchmarks show less than 10% difference (for single video cards) between a stock clocked 920 and a 4770K in games. Guess which one overclocks well.

DC might be the first worthwhile upgrade to the 920 simply because of how well DC overclocks, not because of stock clock, the surrounding benefits (better power consumption, better chipset, faster SATA, etc) are just now outweighing the smaller performance gain of the CPU itself.

Yup, that's essentially what I was trying to say. :)

go3 posted:

The number of games you're going to encounter that are regularly bottlenecked by CPU performance could be counted on maybe 2 hands

Also this.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

Unfortunately Kerbal Space Program is one of them :jeb:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"Devil's canyon" reminds me far too much of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21geIuzTaU0

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FormatAmerica posted:

Unfortunately Kerbal Space Program is one of them :jeb:

Emulation, too.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The first stores are starting to list it as in stock here. Whether it is truly shipping or they just are trying to catch preorders is anyones guess right now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Its happening

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/So...066acd278b9e861

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Yup, they had listed it as available on the 23rd a few days ago when I ordered. I haven't received a shipping confirmation yet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Got my z97 Vii Gene installed and holy crap, full PWM support is amazing. My noctua fans are idling along at 180rpm now. They wouldn't go below 600rpm on my old z77 board. Now TD needs to ship my 4790k.

edit: another site with a 4790k in stock

http://www.atelco.de/articledetail.jsps?ref=13&pvid=4q8lfj50c_hwj5sao0&agid=2850&aid=170309

edit2:

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...%3Faid%3D170309

Someone call and see if its legit

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 18, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Is anyone really surprised that modern video games, designed to reach the largest market by running on consoles and as many existing PCs as possible, are not pushing newest generation processors to the limit?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Is anyone really surprised that modern video games, designed to reach the largest market by running on consoles and as many existing PCs as possible, are not pushing newest generation processors to the limit?

Pretty sure no one in this thread is, why the question?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

canyoneer posted:

It turns out programming for lots of cores is difficult.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 18, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

It turns out programming for lots of cores is difficult.

Clearly chrome has no problem with that...

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

deimos posted:

Multiprocess vs multithread.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

deimos posted:

I have a theory that Chrome does this to obfuscate how hideously bloated its memory consumption has become. Remember back when Firefox would eat upwards of 2.5GB if you had multiple tabs open for too long, and how it caused everyone to drop the browser like a hot rock when Chrome launched? Yeah.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

But you can just use memory mapping to hide your memory usage.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Da Mott Man posted:

Multiprocess vs multithread.
Same thing.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Multiprocess has it's benefits if you don't have inter process data. Like tabs in a browser.

Unrelated but I'm reading up on haswell and it seems that the 4770/4790 both have just 16 pcie lanes. I know that most GPUs don't need all 16 rev3 lanes but is this going to be an issue moving forward what with NVMe and beefier GPUs?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Multiprocess has it's benefits if you don't have inter process data. Like tabs in a browser.

Unrelated but I'm reading up on haswell and it seems that the 4770/4790 both have just 16 pcie lanes. I know that most GPUs don't need all 16 rev3 lanes but is this going to be an issue moving forward what with NVMe and beefier GPUs?

We just need to move the Intel socket to the center of the GPU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Are there any GPUs on the horizon that use more than 16 PCIe lanes?

Don Lapre posted:

Got my z97 Vii Gene installed and holy crap, full PWM support is amazing.
Holy crap that board is $210. Is it worth it for PWM support and that sweet red and black color scheme? Also what is that giant L-shaped thing surrounding the CPU?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 18, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

To plug into what? Is there a 32 lane pci-e slot?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Don Lapre posted:

To plug into what? Is there a 32 lane pci-e slot?
Does using two video cards use up twice the lanes to the CPU?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Cardboard Box A posted:

Holy crap that board is $210. Is it worth it for PWM support and that sweet red and black color scheme? Also what is that giant L-shaped thing surrounding the CPU?

Heatsink for the voltage regulators.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Cardboard Box A posted:

The board also has really nice audio, SATA Express/m.2 support, and, as a ROG board, gives access to a number of Asus's silly specialized utilities and whatnot. Silly stuff like client-side network packet prioritization, odd stuff like a game overlay that turns positional audio data into a sonar map for your FPS-cheating needs, and nicely-skinned run-of-the-mill stuff like RAMdisk software.

It's a luxury and overclocking board. But in that category, it's one of the more affordable models and it does a pretty good job of justifying its price to enthusiasts.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I am anxiously awaiting the mITX Z97 version of the VII that they announced earlier in the month. The miniature sound card is pretty sick. :haw:

Tippiegh
May 15, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Really hoping amazon's june 20 release date is accurate.

No dice.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

I wasn't convinced before whether that series was worth the money (over seemingly similar ~$150+ boards) but recently I've been swayed.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Oh, also the L-shaped thing is the VRM heatsink.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Ever since the Maximus IV GENE-Z, I've felt that the mATX ROG boards have offered some of the best combination of high-end quality components, features, and price. At ~$200 they're still on the high end of cost, but it's really not that much more than good mid-range ATX boards, and for the people who really don't need all the expansion slots of an ATX board (which is most of them), the high-end features make it worthwhile. I did a build for someone with that GENE-Z, and at the time it was one of the cheapest boards with Intel NIC which is something I always prefer to use (I previously just tended to throw in a PCI/PCIe NIC).

I'm actually going to be getting the Maximus VII GENE myself, as soon as Micro Center get the 4790K in stock. When bought as a CPU/MB combo, the board will cost "only" $180, which I find to be very reasonable for what you get.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The Asus ROG Maximus VII HERO is only $10 more than the GENE, and unless you really need the smaller form factor I think you get a better value. It would be interesting to see benchmarks comparing the audio performance of the GENE and the HERO, I'm thinking the GENE would have noticeably worse EMI because of the limited board space to route the audio traces away from noises sources. It doesn't appear to have a physically isolated board area like on the HERO, but they may have been able to come close via efficient routing.

Edit: All that stuff about audio is wrong because I am retarded and didn't notice it uses a dedicated soundcard. I do still think the HERO is a better deal because the difference is $10 and you get some useful connectors, but if you actually value the smaller form factor the GENE is a great board.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 19, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Alereon posted:

The Asus ROG Maximus VII HERO is only $10 more than the GENE, and unless you really need the smaller form factor I think you get a better value. It would be interesting to see benchmarks comparing the audio performance of the GENE and the HERO, I'm thinking the GENE would have noticeably worse EMI because of the limited board space to route the audio traces away from noises sources. It doesn't appear to have a physically isolated board area like on the HERO, but they may have been able to come close via efficient routing.

The gene has a separate sound card it comes with. The sound chipset isn't even on the board.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
The hero is what I want pretty badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Don Lapre posted:

The gene has a separate sound card it comes with. The sound chipset isn't even on the board.

Man I don't know how I missed that. That is pretty cool!