Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

AxeManiac posted:

"Who Jackie?" is such an incredible hollywood bullshit story, this dude was a paid writer on a show for two years and he didn't even know one of the main characters. It's amazing.

I remember hearing some story about a writer for the Simpsons pitching something for Bart and referring to him as "Doug".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

"I took 6 months off for a bit"

"It didn't work"

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

"Who Jackie?" is such an incredible hollywood bullshit story, this dude was a paid writer on a show for two years and he didn't even know one of the main characters. It's amazing.

It ain't bullshit though. Mitch Hurwitz was on staff and told that story on Julie Klausner's podcast last year.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Oh, I meant like "the bullshit that goes on in hollywood" where a dude can have a job for two years writing on a show without even knowing the main characters.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Is Todd Glass supposed to be funny? I keep hearing him on radio shows but he never says or does anything that makes me laugh.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If there's one thing this podcast has taught me, it's that I loving hate Jash and Getting Doug with High or whatever it's called.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

If there's one thing this podcast has taught me, it's that I loving hate Jash and Getting Doug with High or whatever it's called.

Me too brother

Performula
Apr 7, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

If there's any funny content from those Jash or Doug shows I don't see it in their commercials.

Then again, maybe the point is to be high to enjoy watching Getting Doug With High.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Getting Dough With High is unintentionally funny just because Doug Benson is the worst host in the entire world. Whenever the guest is talking he stops listening and starts playing with all the poo poo on his desk, or just interrupts them to say something about weed. The Anthony Jeselnik one is funny because he spends the whole time calling Doug out on being so bad at his job.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
I was so bummed to see Todd Glass had a Part 2 but this might have ended up being my favorite one yet. All because of Norm. Funny poo poo includes:

1. The Brokeback Mountain story

Norm: Can I guess who it is?
Todd: Well let me finish first.
Norm(looks at Adam): Boy, it'd be fun to guess.

3. The entire Holocaust denial and Adam thing.

4. "I mean there are some great gypsies"

5. My neighbors are Jim and Ellen Ping. Nice folks.

6. The Canadian Psycho thing once again.

7. The sadomasochistic story gave me a headache I laughed so hard.
"Somebodies drilling something up my loving rear end and you gotta have a safe word and my safe word was 'booooring'"

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, it was a great one. Probably the one that gave me the biggest laughs actually.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I love the way Norm pretends to be a deaf old man when someone puts him on the spot.

Eh?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It was in bad taste of Todd Glass to make Norm laugh with all that weed in the middle of the holocaust lecture. How is Adam Eget supposed to learn if people are getting in Norm's way?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

kolby posted:

I was so bummed to see Todd Glass had a Part 2 but this might have ended up being my favorite one yet. All because of Norm.

Yeah, Norm was running double duty because God knows Glass wasn't giving him anything to work with.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Todd: So how did you guys meet?
Adam: Oh god, not this again...

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, Norm was running double duty because God knows Glass wasn't giving him anything to work with.

But you get peak Norm when things are not going well, so it all works out.

I don't like Doug Benson much either, it's all weed jokes and pothead humor that pretty much requires you to be stoned to enjoy it. He seems to be genuinely awkward, while somebody like Norm is being expertly awkward. If that makes any sense.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

AxeManiac posted:

But you get peak Norm when things are not going well, so it all works out.

I don't like Doug Benson much either, it's all weed jokes and pothead humor that pretty much requires you to be stoned to enjoy it. He seems to be genuinely awkward, while somebody like Norm is being expertly awkward. If that makes any sense.
Doug Benson is only funny if Cheech and Chong never existed. Pot humor was done far better 40 years ago.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

kolby posted:

I was so bummed to see Todd Glass had a Part 2 but this might have ended up being my favorite one yet. All because of Norm. Funny poo poo includes:

1. The Brokeback Mountain story

Norm: Can I guess who it is?
Todd: Well let me finish first.
Norm(looks at Adam): Boy, it'd be fun to guess.

3. The entire Holocaust denial and Adam thing.

4. "I mean there are some great gypsies"

5. My neighbors are Jim and Ellen Ping. Nice folks.

6. The Canadian Psycho thing once again.

7. The sadomasochistic story gave me a headache I laughed so hard.
"Somebodies drilling something up my loving rear end and you gotta have a safe word and my safe word was 'booooring'"

"Jim Ping to conclusions" "What?"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You know, Glass wasn't funny or anything, but he grew on me. He seems to be a pretty cool / likable guy who just doesn't fit the bill of a usual comic when put into a talkshow situation. Still, his chemistry with Norm was better than that of mot guests.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Todd Glass's humor seems to mostly be the theoretical "wouldn't it be funny if I was a comedian" sort, where he spends all of his time analyzing jokes he's not actually telling. I've listened to his podcast for a long time and never found him to be a particularly funny, but he has a good understanding of comedy if that makes any sense. He's at his best when he's coaxing humor out of other comedians, which was probably why this episode was one of the best ones Norm has done.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

It may just be me remembering wrong, but I thought Todd's podcast used to be really funny. Something seems to have happened in the last year or so and he's gotten so up in his head/high and afraid of offending literally anyone that he just won't relax long enough to be funny and let people around him be funny. Maybe he was always like that and I'm just starting to notice it though. Also that drat "to George Carlin" safe word, what's the point of having a safe word if you use it every 5 minutes?

I couldn't get enough of Norm giving him poo poo in these two episodes. This was one of the best episodes yet.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
To me Todds podcast is real funny and I think his appearance on Norms show was good. He was being really funny during the pot stuff and Nazi stuff, I thought. When he was commenting on what Norm was doing I thought it helped Norm keep the jokes going.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUezSHFz4Ps

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Norm is kind of a genius

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Everything about the Todd Glass episodes owned.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I forgot about Todd Glass's tattoo. What a bad tattoo.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It may just be me remembering wrong, but I thought Todd's podcast used to be really funny. Something seems to have happened in the last year or so and he's gotten so up in his head/high and afraid of offending literally anyone that he just won't relax long enough to be funny and let people around him be funny. Maybe he was always like that and I'm just starting to notice it though. Also that drat "to George Carlin" safe word, what's the point of having a safe word if you use it every 5 minutes?

I couldn't get enough of Norm giving him poo poo in these two episodes. This was one of the best episodes yet.

Todd seems like one of those Artie kind of guys, interesting, fun to listen to, tons of great stories, hangs out with lots of interesting people, but not really a "funny" guy. I liked the shows with him on them, he plays well against comedians. He would be a good Adam Eget.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The big change that happened was Daniel Kinno and Katie moving on to greener pastures - Daniel was great at wrangling Todd in the right direction when he started to wander off topic and both of them were really on-point when he got the crew involved in bits. Since they left nobody in the studio's as willing to call him out on stuff, so I've just been listening when I'm a fan of who he has on - the PFT/Jen Kirkman/Andy Kindler/James Adomian/Jake Fogelnest episodes after the crew change have still been great.

I really like Todd and loved these episodes for pretty much the same reason.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Power of Pecota posted:

The big change that happened was Daniel Kinno and Katie moving on to greener pastures - Daniel was great at wrangling Todd in the right direction when he started to wander off topic and both of them were really on-point when he got the crew involved in bits. Since they left nobody in the studio's as willing to call him out on stuff, so I've just been listening when I'm a fan of who he has on - the PFT/Jen Kirkman/Andy Kindler/James Adomian/Jake Fogelnest episodes after the crew change have still been great.

I really like Todd and loved these episodes for pretty much the same reason.

That and he also sees himself as some social advocate since coming out, and it fills up the front of the show with the social justice hour. Back in the day with Daniel, Rory, Blake, and Katie, it would hit it's groove and just be amazing the whole time. Now it's hit or miss depending on the guest. Todd is a genuinely funny guy though when he finds that groove, and with the right group around him can make them all funnier.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I forgot about Todd Glass's tattoo. What a bad tattoo.

That's a sleeve. Not a sleeve tattoo, an actual sleeve. It's a joke that he wears because it's ridiculous that he would have such a thing. Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNgqcLJRzlY

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Yeah I miss Daniel Kinno :( The biggest thing that I've noticed on Todd's show lately is he just won't let bits play out anymore. He'll spend 10 minutes setting them up and just when someone's starting to riff and get into something funny, he'll stop the whole thing and bail on it, then spend another 5 minutes deconstructing what they just did. He's really smart about comedy, but he does stuff like that all the time now, and asking Norm with a straight face if Adam Egat's actually a Holocaust denier. Which ended up being really funny on Norm's show, but a good way to just deflate all the humor. It just makes me sad because I know how funny he can be, I've heard it in the past.

Apoplexy posted:

That's a sleeve. Not a sleeve tattoo, an actual sleeve. It's a joke that he wears because it's ridiculous that he would have such a thing. Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNgqcLJRzlY
Holy poo poo, I had no idea. He's done a really good job at selling it, I listened to his podcast when he first got it, and he always just tells everyone he got it done on a radio show. He hasn't To George Carlin'ed himself on that one yet.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Nope, that's a sleeve to cover up his awful, real tattoo.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.379815492097318.98044.125852747493595&type=3

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Whoa, that's pretty crazy!

Eb
May 6, 2003
I don't find Todd Glass particularly funny and only moderately interesting but god drat that episode owned. I think it helps that he doesn't seem to know when he's being made fun of.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Todd Glass is an unbearable, sententious moron and Norm handles him expertly. He aids Glass in coming across as a meandering, myopic child; but mostly Glass gets there on his own.

For all Glass' confused diatribes about comedy he certainly misses a million hilarious jokes (mostly at his expense).

"To George Carlin," Jesus Christ, Todd.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Someone doesn't 'get' Todd Glass, and that's sad. He's missing out on something great. It's like not finding Norm's bit at the Bob Saget roast funny, or Gilbert Gottfried's one for that matter.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Apoplexy posted:

Someone doesn't 'get' Todd Glass, and that's sad. He's missing out on something great. It's like not finding Norm's bit at the Bob Saget roast funny, or Gilbert Gottfried's one for that matter.

Then elucidate what Todd Glass is all about. I listened to his podcast on two separate occasions and it was rife with reverb hi-jinks and spontaneous singing. I don't think he made a single funny joke (to me, at least. I realize comedy is subjective). Admittedly, to George Carlin, I haven't seen his stand-up because I was so disgusted by his podcast.

or don't, as that's not what this thread is about. I guess I don't 'get' what there is to get.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Oh god there are layers to this. Now it makes sense. I think.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Fly McCool posted:

Then elucidate what Todd Glass is all about. I listened to his podcast on two separate occasions and it was rife with reverb hi-jinks and spontaneous singing. I don't think he made a single funny joke (to me, at least. I realize comedy is subjective). Admittedly, to George Carlin, I haven't seen his stand-up because I was so disgusted by his podcast.

or don't, as that's not what this thread is about. I guess I don't 'get' what there is to get.

One thing I find, is if a joke enough funny enough, you just gotta explain it enough times until people understand, then boy howdy, will they be laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Comedy is always at its best when you work within the parameters of language restrictions.

• Locked thread