Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

IRQ posted:

Bitching about commercials is their niche. The hate groups love to specialize, and remember there's BIG money out there to back these oxygen thieves in all their endeavors. But if we're tossing out weird theories, I often find it hard to tell if the people making bank running them are true believers or just amoral mercenaries.

Bitching about TV/movies/games is especially popular because it's a lot easier to just complain about how something is corrupting your innocent child's mind than to be a responsible adult and make sure they're not watching/playing poo poo they're technically/legally not allowed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Surprised it took this long for VH1 to finally finish reviewing the 2000s. I have a soft spot for the "I Love" series since it introduced me to comedians like Michael Ian Black and Patrice O'Neal, but I bet this new one isn't as good.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

VDay posted:

Bitching about TV/movies/games is especially popular because it's a lot easier to just complain about how something is corrupting your innocent child's mind than to be a responsible adult and make sure they're not watching/playing poo poo they're technically/legally not allowed to.
I'm sure that Louis CK skit where he pretty much accused parents being against it because they didn't want to have to explain why some people are gay or what-have-you because it's more work, or something, is on the nose.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Sober posted:

I'm sure that Louis CK skit where he pretty much accused parents being against it because they didn't want to have to explain why some people are gay or what-have-you because it's more work, or something, is on the nose.

I haven't seen that Louie bit, but that is almost always exactly their reason: "How am I supposed to explain this to my kid???"

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

raditts posted:

I definitely would not add 24 or Alias to any list of examples of "good" time jumps. Didn't Alias do it to distance itself from the previous season, because the previous season was just that bad?

Time jumps in 24 serve mainly to pass enough time between seasons for the next friend or relative of the Palmer family to become President, because democracy seems to work wildly differently in the 24 world.

I've never actually seen Six Feet Under, I guess I should fix that some time.

And you never will, because dimension jump.

1. No. In Fact Season 2 of Alias was it's best. The time jump was just a gimmick that turned out very "meh". Giving the main character amnesia didn't help matters.

2. Every season of 24 was essentially a time jump. Still counts :colbert: . In all fairness to comparing "democracy in the 24 world", we may be looking at a Clinton/Bush 2018 Election. Having relatives becomes successors isn't so far fetched.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CaptainHollywood posted:

2. In all fairness to comparing "democracy in the 24 world", we may be looking at a Clinton/Bush 2018 Election.

Ummmm....

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Congress decided to sync up our elections with The West Wing's to reduce confusion.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

RE: shows with time jumps, keep your dicks in your pants for GoT. It was supposed to have a time skip, but then didn't, and went totally to poo poo, literal poo poo, like the actual real meaning of literal. We'll see if the show follows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

RE: shows with time jumps, keep your dicks in your pants for GoT. It was supposed to have a time skip, but then didn't, and went totally to poo poo, literal poo poo, like the actual real meaning of literal. We'll see if the show follows.

Laugh out loud at anyone who thinks HBO would let their biggest moneymaker become hot garbage out of the artistic integrity of staying true to the source material. They can and will rewrite giant swaths of the story to prevent it from becoming terrible, because show watchers outnumber book readers like the Wildlings outnumber the Night's Watch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've already rewritten big chunks and said they don't have any problems killing other bits. The producers mentioned they might nix the entire "Lady Stoneheart" character completely.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
In the middle of catching up on Farscape, right at the start of season 3. drat, this poo poo gets dark at times. It's like it wasn't written in the early 2000s at all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

achillesforever6 posted:

Surprised it took this long for VH1 to finally finish reviewing the 2000s. I have a soft spot for the "I Love" series since it introduced me to comedians like Michael Ian Black and Patrice O'Neal, but I bet this new one isn't as good.

Are they actually doing new ones or are they just rerunning the ones they did a few years back? I can't remember how many years were still left in the decade when they decided they needed to do a flashback series on it.

CaptainHollywood posted:

2. Every season of 24 was essentially a time jump. Still counts :colbert: . In all fairness to comparing "democracy in the 24 world", we may be looking at a Clinton/Bush 2018 Election. Having relatives becomes successors isn't so far fetched.

That would be 24-level bizarre, since the next presidential election is in 2016. :haw:

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 18, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

They've already rewritten big chunks and said they don't have any problems killing other bits. The producers mentioned they might nix the entire "Lady Stoneheart" character completely.

That character is the only thing I've been spoiled about (that hasn't already happened) and I have to say, just from the very little I know, it sounds loving retarded.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

That character is the only thing I've been spoiled about (that hasn't already happened) and I have to say, just from the very little I know, it sounds loving retarded.

The interview I read mentioned that they thought the character is pretty useless.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Counterpoint: They are keeping the mountain around. Really should have cut that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WOOOO FARGO FINALE!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

WOOOO FARGO FINALE!

Seriously if you didn't watch this show for whatever reason, do so as soon as possible.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
It's not fair to compare the entire ten episode run of Fargo to the climactic eight episodes of Breaking Bad. Really, it's simply not fair.

It isn't.

Not fair at all.

But Jesus Christ if Fargo didn't just come shockingly close.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

IRQ posted:

Feast of Crows storylines are dropping like flies.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

It's not fair to compare the entire ten episode run of Fargo to the climactic eight episodes of Breaking Bad. Really, it's simply not fair.

It isn't.

Not fair at all.

But Jesus Christ if Fargo didn't just come shockingly close.

Nobody gives BB season 5a due.

It was pure gold from 501 until Granite State.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Well for one thing Fargo the show is too good for FX to let it end after one season.

So there will be more of it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hcreight posted:

Well for one thing Fargo the show is too good for FX to let it end after one season.

So there will be more of it.

This interview with Noah Hawley (which I will cross-post) just went up. In the end, he and Sepinwall talk season 2, and the sense I get is that FX is game for more, but is willing to wait until Hawley has a story worth telling.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

This interview with Noah Hawley (which I will cross-post) just went up. In the end, he and Sepinwall talk season 2, and the sense I get is that FX is game for more, but is willing to wait until Hawley has a story worth telling.

It must also be hard to get another stellar cast together. Pretty much everyone killed it--especially Billy Bob Thornton playing an awesome character well and Martin Freeman playing against type.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Gee, who would have thought goons impotently raging against their mothers would have brought conversation to a screeching halt?

In news unrelated to your latent oedipal yearnings, Martin Sheen is set to star in the now significantly less horrible sounding Jane Fonda/Lily Tomlin Netflix show, Grace and Frankie. His presence will no doubt add some much needed watchability to a show that, up til now, was the television equivalent of intestinal cancer. Yeah, its still a show about two old ladies trying to extend the definition of cougar to its logical extreme, but at least now you can fast forward past jokes about hot flashes and dry snatches to see Martin Sheen do his thing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh poo poo YES.

Michael McKean via Twitter posted:

Working with @mrbobodenkirk & Vince Gilligan is even more fun than it sounds.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Better Call Saul seems like a terrible idea to me.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just blasted through Fargo, holy poo poo that was loving great. Highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good sit down, serial drama.

Anyone watching Salem? Is it any good? What about Longmire? Anything else decent show up on the radar recently? Most of the stuff I've been watching went off for the season. I've got some Orphan Black saved up to marathon and a few episodes of Penny Dreadful but that's pretty much it.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 19, 2014

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Fooz posted:

I thought it was an awesome idea while Breaking Bad was airing, but now I'm not really interested. What made Saul interesting was that he was a foil to all the serious poo poo going on in BB. Vince Gilligan has earned a good amount of trust from me though so I'll give it a shot.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching through 3rd Rock From The Sun, and I'll be damned if I missed the boat on having a crush on Larisa Oleynik, she was adorable.

And after a quick Google, still is.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Just blasted through Fargo, holy poo poo that was loving great. Highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good sit down, serial drama.

Anyone watching Salem? Is it any good? What about Longmire? Anything else decent show up on the radar recently? Most of the stuff I've been watching went off for the season. I've got some Orphan Black saved up to marathon and a few episodes of Penny Dreadful but that's pretty much it.

Longmire is decent. It's not appointment television by any means but the acting is solid, the story is interesting enough and the scenery is pretty. The biggest mark against it is that some of the 'white people dealing with Native Americans' stuff is a bit cringeworthy but overall it's an enjoyable way to spend an hour every week.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Forgot to mention I'm also considering checking out Halt & Catch Fire, Silicon Valley, and Turn. How are those?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 19, 2014

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Dry and without merit, good and funny, and I don't watch that.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

-Blackadder- posted:

Forgot to mention I'm also considering checking out Halt & Catch Fire, Silicon Vally, and Turn. How are those?

As a Nikita fan, I'm liking Salem a lot since it reunites Michael and Percy. Otherwise it's a fair enough genre show if you're into that sort of thing, with plenty of witchcraft and zombies and demonic influences.

Silicon Valley was fantastic. I can't really recommend that enough.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Give Silicon Valley until episode 3 to try to hook you in. But it's only an 8 episode season, so it's not much of a time sink either way.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Fooz posted:

However, it's a terrible idea in the hands of Vince Gilligan and Bob Odenkirk. I think if it can escape it's Breaking Bad shackles and becomes "dark comedy about a shifty lawyer who plays both sides of the law for cash" there's some fun to be had, and I like the fun those two put together.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Has H&CF gotten any better after the pilot? That's the only episode I watched and it didn't make me want to watch any more.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Has H&CF gotten any better after the pilot? That's the only episode I watched and it didn't make me want to watch any more.

It got a little bit worse.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Manos del Sino posted:

As a Nikita fan, I'm liking Salem a lot since it reunites Michael and Percy. Otherwise it's a fair enough genre show if you're into that sort of thing, with plenty of witchcraft and zombies and demonic influences.

What's it comparable to? Supernatural/Sleepy Hollow or something more serious like American Horror Story? Is it episodic or serial?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 19, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

-Blackadder- posted:

Forgot to mention I'm also considering checking out Halt & Catch Fire, Silicon Valley, and Turn. How are those?

1. Great pilot, not so great followup, still eminently watchable if you're into the subject matter

2. Funny stuff, nothing amazing

3. Started out rather uneven, but nice period piece and by the end of the season was really pretty goddamn awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

-Blackadder- posted:

What's it comparable to? Supernatural/Sleepy Hollow or something more serious? Is it episodic or serial?

It lacks the goofy charm of either of those shows, unfortunately. It's very much serialized, with a plot that continues to unfold, and little "Monster of the Week" hoopla.

I'm not really sure what I'd compare it to. I guess it's more Vampire Diaries in tone than the other two shows you mentioned.

• Locked thread