Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The 76ers are putting insane pressure on themselves by coveting Wiggins so highly so openly.

Apparently Embiid's failed medical was a clever ruse by the Cavaliers to acquire picks and still draft Embiid: http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/17301146-embiids-medical-red-flags-could-be-a-smokescreen-by-cavaliers

So I guess he's good to go and will be the #1 pick?

The "Embiid had a bad workout" meme was put out by Tony Rizzo, a Cleveland sports radio persona who's been very anti-Embiid. Everything probably depends on how much the Cavs/Bucks want to win in the next 2-3 seasons. There's also been a couple of stories floating around about how the Bucks wouldn't mind pairing up Antetokounmpo and Wiggins so I think teams/agents are just floating poo poo out there in the media to see what they can get.

The only thing anyone knows is that no one knows anything.

Oh god, I'm channeling Donald Rumsfeld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The "Embiid had a bad workout" meme was put out by Tony Rizzo, a Cleveland sports radio persona who's been very anti-Embiid. Everything probably depends on how much the Cavs/Bucks want to win in the next 2-3 seasons. There's also been a couple of stories floating around about how the Bucks wouldn't mind pairing up Antetokounmpo and Wiggins so I think teams/agents are just floating poo poo out there in the media to see what they can get.

The only thing anyone knows is that no one knows anything.

Oh god, I'm channeling Donald Rumsfeld.

Embiid definitely qualifies as a known unkown

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It seems like white big guys always have short arms

Holy poo poo

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 18, 2014

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

WEREWAIF posted:

Holy poo poo

Chad Posthumus?

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
RIP chad and his t-rex arms.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WEREWAIF posted:

Holy poo poo

There's a lot to deconstruct here.

WhyteRyce posted:

Ailene Voisin: Kings GM Pete D'Alessandro, Mike Bratz and Chris Mullin meeting with prospects Doug McDermott and Nik Stauskas right now in Chicago.

The Kings are probably giving strong consideration to these guys at #8. I think their draft board is probably something like:
1) Vonleh (Bratz raved about him)
2) Gordon (Bratz thinks he'll come in as a 3 yikes)
3) McDermott
4) Stauskas

This is my Lakers board:

1)Gordon
2)Vonleh
3)Randle
4)McDermott
5)Saric

But I kind of think Vonleh and Gordon don't make it that far.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The "Embiid has red flags" report is especially hilarious because when it first came out it stated that Embiid's red flags were a result of him not recovering from back surgery as well as hoped.

Um, what back surgery are you referring to here? :allears:

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Chad Ford also reported that Cleveland was "blown away" by Embiid's workout.

He's going to be the #1 pick and I'm fairly certain that a lot of people in this thread were on his bandwagon before the rest of the national media was. So props to those guys.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ty1990 posted:

Chad Ford also reported that Cleveland was "blown away" by Embiid's workout.

He's going to be the #1 pick and I'm fairly certain that a lot of people in this thread were on his bandwagon before the rest of the national media was. So props to those guys.

I might have called him going number 1 like a week before Ford (and even then I thought and still think Wiggins is a slightly better prospect), but pretty much everyone eventually had him there before he hurt his back. And he was always in the Top 5 or so.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

This is obvious, but whoever grabs Wiggins (and I'm hearing the Bucks will take Parker if Embiid is not available) is going to be getting great value at their draft slot.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chad Ford has the Kings taking Elfrid Payton, which...uh...kind of makes sense given what the FO and coaching staff is always saying/doing. Please someone tell me he's not just an Iman Shumpert who can pass

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

WhyteRyce posted:

Chad Ford has the Kings taking Elfrid Payton, which...uh...kind of makes sense given what the FO and coaching staff is always saying/doing. Please someone tell me he's not just an Iman Shumpert who can pass

Shumpert can pass. What he can't do is have anything resembling a consistent offensive game. He's MKG in SG form.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

From what I've read, he's a scorer that can't shoot. He's athletic, gets to the line a lot (but can't make the shots), and gets a lot of transition opportunities. He seems to be everything wrong with the modern draft process. But he's a tall point guard so he'll play for 15 years.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Speaking of tall PGs, ESPN the Mag had Kyle Anderson's ceiling as Boris Diaw in shape and his floor as Boris Diaw out of shape. Heh

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
For people wary of Dante Exum, I don't think he looks great in this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TncQcm7gmxk

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Boosh! posted:

Speaking of tall PGs, ESPN the Mag had Kyle Anderson's ceiling as Boris Diaw in shape and his floor as Boris Diaw out of shape. Heh

Man that comp joke is old news and has been around at least since Shawn Kemp

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pylb posted:

For people wary of Dante Exum, I don't think he looks great in this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TncQcm7gmxk

I am one of the people wary of him, but that game is a dumb reason to be. He rolled his ankle and played like 10 minutes. And still scored 7 points, even though he was the only decent player on his team and Team USA was loaded. He was really good in the tournament as a whole.

e: I will say his FT stroke is turrible. Arc, Dante!

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 18, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

FT shooting seems like it should be the easiest thing to fix and yet

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

I might have called him going number 1 like a week before Ford (and even then I thought and still think Wiggins is a slightly better prospect), but pretty much everyone eventually had him there before he hurt his back. And he was always in the Top 5 or so.

Not sure if this got much play on the national scene but the first guy to call it was Rick Pitino. He said Wiggins and Embiid were both prospects for the number one pick before Embiid ever got to Lawrence. UK fans laughed roundly if I recall.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Exum's jumper is really flat and busted but that's fixable. The majority of those mistakes were mental and I don't know a single 18 year old that plays a solid mental game. Even on a bum ankle he completely blew by two guys for a layup. Are we entirely sure that he has the handles for a point?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lmao "this video should make you wary" *first possession beats an elite perimeter defender off the dribble and slams it home easily*

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
As a Canadian, I'm gonna laugh if Wiggins isn't taken first. Literally since before the 2013 raft media/people have been saying "a Canadian is getting picked No. 1 in the 2014 draft" like it's a sure thing. People were excited, Harper was congratulating him on twitter, etc. So to me there's a whole lotta irony if the Canadian no. 1 pick legacy is Anthony Bennett.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

attackmole posted:

As a Canadian, I'm gonna laugh if Wiggins isn't taken first. Literally since before the 2013 raft media/people have been saying "a Canadian is getting picked No. 1 in the 2014 draft" like it's a sure thing. So to me there's a whole lotta irony if the Canadian no. 1 pick legacy is Anthony Bennett.

This is a hilarious video in response to this sentiment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lt3Xw_8oMI

some "highlights" at :57, 1:27, 4:12 smh

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That video didn't do much to make me think one way or the other about Exum but Smart's defensive technique is really refined.

Randle's workout with the Lakers was impressive according this to Kentucky website: http://kysportsconnection.com/julius-randle-nba-draft-workout-la-lakers/

Rick fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 18, 2014

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

That video didn't do much to make me think one way or the other about Exum but Smart's defensive technique is really refined.

Randle's workout with the Lakers was impressive according this to Kentucky website: http://kysportsconnection.com/julius-randle-nba-draft-workout-la-lakers/

Here is the jumpshooting portion of his workout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4KhsqCdOvw

I do love that the Lakers are letting so many cameras into these workouts, so we can see past some of the BS

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
He has a weird little hop in his shot but his upper form is right which is the important part.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rick posted:

He has a weird little hop in his shot but his upper form is right which is the important part.

He's got a fat man jumper that will only become fatter and less jumpier as he ages ala Big Al

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

Search Is Down so I can't find it or nothing but I asked for a survey of centers when Wiggins/Randle were the only names that'd been seen on ESPN and you been high on Embiid for a while now.

If Search Wasn't Down I might look for the first time anyone had to deny the Embiid Is Already Olajuwon because it went together with being called at #1 and that was a raccoons age ago.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

EvanTH posted:

Search Is Down so I can't find it or nothing but I asked for a survey of centers when Wiggins/Randle were the only names that'd been seen on ESPN and you been high on Embiid for a while now.

If Search Wasn't Down I might look for the first time anyone had to deny the Embiid Is Already Olajuwon because it went together with being called at #1 and that was a raccoons age ago.

The old thread is still out of the archives but it didn't get started until January 6th and ESPN had him way up there for a while.

If you're curious the first person to mention Olajuwon in the thread was me and the first person to compare Olajuwon and Embiid was The B_36 (on a name basis) and the first person to seriously compare the two was NBADraft.net lol

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Can someone explain Kevin Pelton's 'analytics big board' to me? I have no acquaintance with draft prospects beyond hype but this really seems like a, uh, ambitious ordering.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Can someone explain Kevin Pelton's 'analytics big board' to me? I have no acquaintance with draft prospects beyond hype but this really seems like a, uh, ambitious ordering.

It uses WARP weighting previous seasons more than the current season so naturally Marcus Smart (who was really good last season) looks like a top prospect because it's only using statistical measures rather than incorporating them alongside physical measurements and observational data

Also WARP doesn't use linear weights in basketball which is stupid and dumb and retarded

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

It uses WARP weighting previous seasons more than the current season so naturally Marcus Smart (who was really good last season) looks like a top prospect because it's only using statistical measures rather than incorporating them alongside physical measurements and observational data

Also WARP doesn't use linear weights in basketball which is stupid and dumb and retarded

I get that he's just ranking by statistical output but those seem like the sort of results where, if I was trying to construct a 'big board', I would conclude with "and there are some serious problems with my model."

e: With Smart and some Swiss guy at the top, and Wiggins way down at 19th, it reads like he's trying to provide a reductio of someone else's model.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hand Knit posted:

It weighs stuff like steal rate really high which is why it really loves Smart.

EvanTH posted:

I was talking him up back when lots of people here were doing silly stuff like comparing him to Thabeet, but I don't think I started calling him a potential top pick until after Ford did. I was wary at him to start the season, but then he had a long stretch at the start of conference play where he routinely looked unstoppable and I jumped on board. I think the reason it looked like an outlier here is because most people who post in the draft thread don't watch any college basketball so they were going off his preseason scouting report where he was supposed to be super raw. And he is raw in terms of basketball IQ, but he wound up being crazy advanced in terms of his skill level, especially for someone that age/experience level.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 18, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

I get that he's just ranking by statistical output but those seem like the sort of results where, if I was trying to construct a 'big board', I would conclude with "and there are some serious problems with my model."

e: With Smart and some Swiss guy at the top, and Wiggins way down at 19th, it reads like he's trying to provide a reductio of someone else's model.

My guess is that ESPN is trying to embrace debate

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

My guess is that ESPN is trying to embrace debate

Is this an American political neologism?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hand Knit posted:

Is this an American political neologism?

It is a dumb internal ESPN motto related to stupid poo poo like First Take and the like.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Pelton's been using WARP for years in the Basketball Prospectus. It's all kind of wonky bullshit, but they've had some interesting hits in seasons past if you ignore all the times they're wrong.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Calling Mario Chalmers a "hit" when it projected him to be the fourth best player in the draft (and better than Derrick Rose, among others) seems, uh, a little generous.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The 76ers potentially getting Wiggins and Randle is insane. I knew Randle would drop but 10th? Can't imagine that. Randle is claiming that his foot is fine and that a team may have "leaked" that to hurt his stock.

This draft is surreal. A lot of shenanigans going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

The old thread is still out of the archives but it didn't get started until January 6th and ESPN had him way up there for a while.

If you're curious the first person to mention Olajuwon in the thread was me and the first person to compare Olajuwon and Embiid was The B_36 (on a name basis) and the first person to seriously compare the two was NBADraft.net lol

Just to be clear, I was responding to the people who were comparing Embiid to Olajuwon, specifically to whoever said that Embiid was going to become the next Olajuwon if he could avoid injury, and also specifically, I was saying the comparison was ridiculous. Don't want people to think I was comparing Embiid at all favourably to Olajuwon.

• Locked thread