Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The anime trinity is complete we may signal the end of the world. Humanity shall ascend into the light of anime.

Yeah this is going to gently caress up the timeframe for Monster Hunter 4 U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
i dont think so tim

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Kewpuh posted:

i dont think so tim

Are YOU buying Capcom?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

at first i was like "who the gently caress would want to buy capcom, they're loving poison" then I thought "omfg NINTENDO!"

if there is a god, he/she/it would let this happen

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.
Smash Bros. vs. Street Fighter

"b-but.. it no balance :qq:"

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

sega has money?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

wait, capcom has value???

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Sega can't even buy a freaking clue ;p

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cosby Onahole posted:

Sega can't even buy a freaking clue ;p

Well duh because Hasbro owns the rights to it.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Kewpuh posted:

i dont think so tim

Can you ban discussion of business poo poo in games?

Because goons are super loving dumb about it.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Scyther posted:

sega has money?

Vocaloid does gangbusters.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

lesbian baphomet posted:

Vocaloid does gangbusters.

also their pachinko machines

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
apparently that key master prize machine sold really really well

Dec 26, 2012

al-azad posted:

at first i was like "who the gently caress would want to buy capcom, they're loving poison" then I thought "omfg NINTENDO!"

if there is a god, he/she/it would let this happen

i wouldnt wish capcom on nintendo personally

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

mighty number 9 selling tremendously and inafune taking the company would be pretty great

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Can you ban discussion of business poo poo in games?

Because goons are super loving dumb about it.

you want less things to laugh at?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Kewpuh posted:

you want less things to laugh at?

Good point, but you can only read "Nintendo should just make Pokemon for phones then they'd make a lot of money!" and "Sony can easily buy Capcom now by just buying half their stock!" before you start to break.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Good point, but you can only read "Nintendo should just make Pokemon for phones then they'd make a lot of money!" and "Sony can easily buy Capcom now by just buying half their stock!" before you start to break.

It's widely known that Pokémon Snap was originally not a pokemon game and it was just a game about taking pictures of things in a regular town.

At the eleventh hour they just slapped pokemon on it so it would sell.

They're doing the same poo poo with Hyrule Warriors. And they also did it with Starfox Adventures

These people are correct in their assumption that anything multiplatform branded with Nintendo would sell. Because Nintendo has taken sub-par games in the past and used their own branding to make them more appealing.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 18, 2014

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I will never tire of "there should be a Pokemon MMORPG for the Wii U" of dumbshits everywhere on the Internet

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

qnqnx posted:

I will never tire of "there should be a Pokemon MMORPG for the Wii U" of dumbshits everywhere on the Internet

I thought they upped the connectivity for the new remakes so that it's pretty much always online it's just everyone is in their own separate world until trading/battle.

A Console pokemon would still be good because the world itself is still pretty small and having pokemon visible in the field would be neat.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

qnqnx posted:

I got unfriended on facebook after someone made this sentiment and I said "oh god I hope not"

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Jumping into the mobile space, which they know nothing about, isn't going to suddenly turn their business around.

Going to third-party only would likely be a death knell.

They do have a decent amount of cash in reserve, but they can't afford to "just spend it to secure third party developers" because it would absolutely destroy their stock value.

They can't "just make a system with the same specs as the PS4 or XBox One" because they aren't going to be able to get the parts for the same prices as Sony and Microsoft do.

Killing the Wii U early (within 3 years of launch) would be a terrible move, regardless of how powerful their follow-up system is, because it would destroy consumer confidence.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Killing the Wii U early (within 3 years of launch) would be a terrible move, regardless of how powerful their follow-up system is, because it would destroy consumer confidence.

It's probably going to get a whole lot worse before it actually gets better. A big thing is that NOA is still tethered heavily to NOJ and can't operate independently like Sony and Microsoft.

This also ties into what games can and can't be localized. Because you have people at Sony working to bring stuff like Yakuza over or getting HD remakes of Grim Fandango. Granted neither are a big name title but having little interesting games between AAA 10/10 GOTY multiconsole releases really does help the system in the longrun.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Will be like when kmart "bought" sears when neither company had any value.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
how does pokemans on wiiu make less sense than smashbrothers on 3ds?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

BrettRobb posted:

Will be like when kmart "bought" sears when neither company had any value.

I think Sears acquired K-mart and the only ones that benefited were K-mart stockholders.

Edit: oops you're right

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 18, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's probably going to get a whole lot worse before it actually gets better. A big thing is that NOA is still tethered heavily to NOJ and can't operate independently like Sony and Microsoft.

This also ties into what games can and can't be localized. Because you have people at Sony working to bring stuff like Yakuza over or getting HD remakes of Grim Fandango. Granted neither are a big name title but having little interesting games between AAA 10/10 GOTY multiconsole releases really does help the system in the longrun.

Yeah they've put themselves in a lovely situation by misreading the market and reacting poorly.

They need to give NoA more autonomy since they clearly understand the market more and also the Japanese home video game market is dying.

These things aren't what people in that thread talk about, though. They talk about stupid poo poo like what I brought up or Nintendo buying Capcom.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Edit: oops you're right

my fav part about bringing this up is I always get "corrected"

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

BrettRobb posted:

my fav part about bringing this up is I always get "corrected"

Even when it happened people said it was Sears that started the merger thing because K-Mart was such poo poo and I don't think anybody thought they had any money at all.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Even when it happened people said it was Capcom that started the merger thing because Sega was such poo poo and I don't think anybody thought they had any money at all.

:thesperg:

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

So basically (lets dispose of all this jargon) Sonic is buying street fighter

Well im psyched

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001

Sir John Feelgood posted:

So basically (lets dispose of all this jargon) Sonic is buying street fighter

Well im psyched

Finally a post I can understand.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Nobody in ddrd thinks that though. That's Games.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

haha nobody is buying anybody. there's no money in games idiots.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

haha nobody is buying anybody. there's no money in games idiots.

Capcom is technically for sale but it doesn't mean anyone's going to buy it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

zen death robot posted:

Capcom just isn't playing defense against someone taking them over by buying up their own stock anymore.

Yeah, that's why I threw the "technically" in there, it's not like an EVERYTHING MUST GO!!! thing.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

ForeverSmug posted:

Nobody in ddrd thinks that though. That's Games.

Yeah, I was talking about games

I guess the moral of the story is that I should stop reading threads in games

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Yeah, I was talking about games

I guess the moral of the story is that I should stop reading threads in games

yes

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

dicks done right, daily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Pumroy posted:

dicks done right, daily

lol you posted in the wrong thread idiot.

Go repost in the rename ddrd thread

• Locked thread