Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm honestly surprised that they let Courtney be a contestant considering she's a stripper. I mean I can't imagine that she'll win in many ways. Can you imagine the PR nightmare it would be to try and sell a cookbook when you have pictures of her engaging in mock lesbian sex on stage with multiple women as well as topless and gyrating on a literal 12 foot pink dick?

I mean I wonder if she lied about it and they discovered once it was already too late, or something similar. I really have trouble imagining that Ramsay, who is so careful with his image, would not only have agreed to let that girl cook knowing all of that AND treat her with favoritism the way she's getting treated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

ded posted:

She is always posing either for the judges or the camera.

It was pretty good when she called her out for being a fake bitch.

Courtney gets under my skin the same way Monti and Natasha did. It's just something with how they talk, act and carry themselves that just makes me want to smack them upside the head. Though equally this season Elise also annoys the hell out of me too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Courtney gets under my skin the same way Monti and Natasha did. It's just something with how they talk, act and carry themselves that just makes me want to smack them upside the head. Though equally this season Elise also annoys the hell out of me too.

Which one is Elise? The lady who escaped from a quirky indie movie?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
No it's the fat pie girl

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

1st AD posted:

No it's the fat pie girl

Who was a a nonentity last night as well.

They're all over the place drawing attention to some of the cooks, then completely ignoring them. In the past usually once a chef starts getting significant screen time it means they're going to stay around.

That might not necessarily be the case, but one of the main things I remember about season 2 was Ben Starr was more or less invisible for the first 8 episodes before he started getting constant attention from the camera.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

1st AD posted:

The fix is in but at least Ahran called it out for what it was, even though she seemed really intimidated by Joe challenging her, "well why do you think there's favoritism on our part?"

She should've just blurted out because she's a telegenic white girl, would've loved to see his reaction to that.
The one thing Joe is good at is being a tremendous loving douchebag. He would've shaken his head and said "And you're saying you're not pretty. Hope you can cook" while walking away.

I am legit surprised Leslie didn't suck, let alone that he did well. Mr. Malibu making donuts?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think he's a legitimately talented chef, it's just that he is incredibly thin skinned and takes offense to everything.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
He's not even remotely known for his cooking. I mean I'm sure he can cook better than me, but he's introduced as a "restaurateur" and even then it's because of his mom. The most that he's actually publicly proven is that if you give him a shitload of someone else's money, he can invest it in good restaurants. That's what he's known for.

e: or did you mean Mr. Malibu :downs: In that case I'm mostly surprised he blew everyone away at donuts and not at, I don't know, kale smoothies.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 18, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If you're like him and you want to maintain a trophy husband status that you're clearly not getting on looks, you drat well better be able to cook your rear end off.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I meant Leslie and yeah, he's really good at being a trophy husband.

raditts posted:

If you're like him and you want to maintain a trophy husband status that you're clearly not getting on looks, you drat well better be able to cook your rear end off.

idk dude is almost 60 and is fit and has good skin and has beautiful gray locks, if I was :gay: I'd hit it

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Leslie is an insufferable douche. Don't get me wrong, I don't like anybody this season but Malibu Sterling is a chief offender.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

M_Sinistrari posted:

I finished watching season 3 over the weekend and ugh, Ms. Mairym "Monti Carlo is totes my real name and this is so my everyday personality, not a shtick identity I've been using as a radio host for years!" Carlo was irritating every time she offered commentary. She might be a nice, normal, non-grating person when there's not a mic or camera around, but on the show, I was crossing my fingers every elimination she'd be going home.

pentyne posted:

They're all over the place drawing attention to some of the cooks, then completely ignoring them. In the past usually once a chef starts getting significant screen time it means they're going to stay around.

Hipster blender tattoo baker lady got maybe a couple of seconds of screen time, too. Weird for a baking elimination contest.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

1st AD posted:

I think he's a legitimately talented chef, it's just that he is incredibly thin skinned and takes offense to everything.

Joe on Jimmy Fallon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz7Bphw9jo

Joe doing a cooking demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xax0T396Ko

He's not an insufferable prick, it's just an act for the show. That'd be a shame since his mom is so awesome. But people loving up Italian food probably genuinely pisses him off.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Jesus people, I was talking about Leslie and not Joe.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So awhile back I watched Season 4 and then I went and read a blog from a contestant who had been on a previous season, since I personally find all the workings of reality TV to be pretty fascinating.

For example, the food usually sits there for an hour or so while camera crews go and photograph it, and only then does the judging start. The blogger also made a good point that as viewers, since we can't taste the food, they can easily pretend something is over/under-seasoned and ding it for that and we'd never know. So manufactured.

So I guess what I'm writing to say is, I wonder if Courtney's donuts were even salted? (Though if they were using an excuse to get her into the bottom 3, they should have made a better one, since I'd rather take an unfilled donut than a salty one.) Which is my other question -- how did both the contestants with filled donuts end up with donuts with no filling at all?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Clocks posted:

So awhile back I watched Season 4 and then I went and read a blog from a contestant who had been on a previous season, since I personally find all the workings of reality TV to be pretty fascinating.

For example, the food usually sits there for an hour or so while camera crews go and photograph it, and only then does the judging start. The blogger also made a good point that as viewers, since we can't taste the food, they can easily pretend something is over/under-seasoned and ding it for that and we'd never know. So manufactured.

So I guess what I'm writing to say is, I wonder if Courtney's donuts were even salted? (Though if they were using an excuse to get her into the bottom 3, they should have made a better one, since I'd rather take an unfilled donut than a salty one.) Which is my other question -- how did both the contestants with filled donuts end up with donuts with no filling at all?

The first time I made filled donuts I did the same thing. You really have to jam the pastry bag nozzle in there or you get a big glob of filling on the side and nothing in the middle.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
I can't even keep up with this season. They make it so loving obvious who's going home and who's not, they've been focusing on like 5 people since the very first episode. I couldn't even name you any of the other contestants beyond the drama bombs.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
And Willie, I guess.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
You guys do realize they film all of this cooking poo poo, the whole drat competition, before they go in to editing right? You really think they're looking, first and foremost, for personality, and not any actual cooking ability? Maybe all the people getting eliminated who we've never heard from would have just as much personality, but the editors didn't want to waste time including them because, turns out, they're not very good at actually cooking. Maybe the people who made it as far as they did are a little more polarizing, or fill a role in the "reality tv essentials," or maybe they made it far on their cooking ability and the editors decided to use the footage to reinforce specific traits in their personality to create that narrative after the fact. Also there's everything else that goes in to this show beyond what we see, the training and living in the house, so maybe some one who did really well at every other aspect failed the challenge, and maybe someone who's struggled the entire time and clearly doesn't belong there failed it as well, who do you think should go home? I know it's supposed to be each individual challenge is it's own elimination, but if you think there's no biases from previous displays of actual cooking ability, then you're completely ignoring every aspect of human nature. If the woman who got eliminated this week had performed well in the previous challenges, don't you think we'd have seen that before so that they could show a "surprise" early favorite go home? Why send home Courtney, who by all reports can actually really cook, if there's another competitor that hasn't separated herself from the pack at all?

Don't get me wrong, the editing makes the eliminations (up to a point) stupid, and telegraphs who's going to go far, but this thread is so full of :tinfoil: poo poo it's like you guys think it's aired live. Yes the focus on Courtney is annoying, and knowing there's no way someone with that much screen time is going home before someone I've literally never seen detracts heavily from the show, but it doesn't have to be because there was some grand plot during casting where they decided this big-nosed stripper girl is going to win it all. I mean do you really think that they'd go out of their way to cast, and then give disproportionate airtime to, a stripper and a rich old trophy husband if they couldn't actually cook?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
When they cast people I'm sure there is a minimum level of cooking ability they look for, otherwise the show would really come off badly. But once a person is over that bar, yea I do think personality/personal backstories becomes the #1 consideration. There is no shortage of people out there that can cook just as well as Courtney or Leslie, but if a thousand people are lined up to audition, why not look for people who have both the cooking and personality covered? I'm sure if someone completely blows them away with a Michelin Star quality dish, they're going to be on the show regardless, but they clearly are operating under the philosophy that the show needs a certain amount of personality to be appealing to the audience they're going for.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
But what makes you think that the people who have been shown on our tv to have more personality actually do, and don't just happen to have more cooking ability so they edit it to include more of their personality as well? What definitively says that brown-haired woman who mysteriously showed up for this challenge and didn't fill her donuts doesn't have any personality or any interesting back story? Maybe she's got something America would rather see than "fat church choir director with a big family" but she can't cook on the same level as Willie so we never learned her name before she got the boot. I mean poo poo plenty of the people who've made it far the past few seasons were stay at home moms, or students or whatever just every day boring poo poo you want to throw in there. You only started to learn their names because they were shown a lot, but here every one is attributing their being shown a lot/sticking around to the personality we see through editing, and not that they stuck around because they can cook and the post-process emphasized their personality to make a more compelling show. It's completely backwards thinking.

KettleWL fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 19, 2014

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
loving lol if you think a FOX reality show doesn't cast based on perceived camera readiness/personality first and foremost

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Grin and Tonic posted:

loving lol if you think a FOX reality show doesn't cast based on perceived camera readiness/personality first and foremost

I think it's pretty hilarious that someone could write that many words defending reality shows as being remotely on the same plane as "reality."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

KettleWL posted:

But what makes you think that the people who have been shown on our tv to have more personality actually do, and don't just happen to have more cooking ability so they edit it to include more of their personality as well? What definitively says that brown-haired woman who mysteriously showed up for this challenge and didn't fill her donuts doesn't have any personality or any interesting back story? Maybe she's got something America would rather see than "fat church choir director with a big family" but she can't cook on the same level as Willie so we never learned her name before she got the boot. I mean poo poo plenty of the people who've made it far the past few seasons were stay at home moms, or students or whatever just every day boring poo poo you want to throw in there. You only started to learn their names because they were shown a lot, but here every one is attributing their being shown a lot/sticking around to the personality we see through editing, and not that they stuck around because they can cook and the post-process emphasized their personality to make a more compelling show. It's completely backwards thinking.

They aren't concerned about the legitimacy of the competition beyond the minimum that is necessary to maintain the audience's immersion(for lack of a better word). As I said there is certainly a level of cooking ability that every contestant has to have, and exceptions are made I'm sure for people with truly exceptional talent, but in general the bottom line is personality.

Edit: Another point, its not like they film the whole season without ever looking at any footage. The editing may be done at the end but they definitely get a sense of who's personality is strong and who's is weak. There is no way eliminations aren't decided partially based on this.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 19, 2014

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
^I think you're partially right, that the stronger personality will win over a weaker one with relatively equal skill, but I think that will mainly come in to play when you're dealing with people on relatively equal ground, which doesn't seem to be the case so far. Of course they could be presenting Courtney to be better than she really is because they believe her personality to be that much larger a factor.

raditts posted:

I think it's pretty hilarious that someone could write that many words defending reality shows as being remotely on the same plane as "reality."

Except literally everything I said is that the "reality" of the situation comes mostly in post-process where it's edited to create narratives and fit roles by exaggerating, or selectively emphasizing, specific personality traits. Opposed to the :goonsay: thought of "THIS IS MANUFACTURED FROM THE START! FOX :argh:"

KettleWL fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 19, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

KettleWL posted:

Except literally everything I said is that the "reality" of the situation comes mostly in post-process where it's edited to create narratives and fit roles by exaggerating, or selectively emphasizing, specific personality traits. Opposed to the :goonsay: thought of "THIS IS MANUFACTURED FROM THE START! FOX :argh:"

Why don't you tell us how you think people are selected for the show in the first place?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Best of the remaining competitors having a meltdown.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

OmegaBR posted:

Best of the remaining competitors having a meltdown.

Ahhh, the Van Maneuver.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
:qq: I'm not happy :qq:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Ramsay doesn't handle tears well.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Master Yelper? :psyduck:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The preview made it seem as though Joy's breakdown was during service. For it to be during this challenge makes me feel a lot better. I'll be very surprised if she doesn't make the final 2.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

liltimshady posted:

3500 reviews is some serious e-cred. :lol:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

liltimshady posted:

:derp: :siren: :byodood: The Yelp Cabal! :siren: :derp:

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Pork lion cooked medium? Like, raw? :barf:

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Red team wins again...Thanks, Jason.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Yeah, Jason! :mad:

:ssh: I've been pulling for Red team anyway.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Fake press conference...can't you do better? :jerkbag:

Spalding
Jul 24, 2005
We have some important questions for you!!!..........UUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
ROCK!