Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"The screwdriver remained inconspicuous, however, as evidence of its existence throughout the next 300 years is based primarily on the presence of screws." Yeah unlike these days when screwdrivers are celebrated on stage and screen at every opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

moller posted:

The can was invented like a hundred years before the can opener. You had to stab them with whatever was handy, which might have been a screwdriver.

But not a Philips screwdriver, which was invented in 1934

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_F._Phillips

The wiki on different scrw types is quite interesting and guaranteed to make you a hit at parties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
The wikipedia page for Screwdriver sort of seems like a Canadian-penned propaganda piece pitching Robertson screws, which are apparently the Avro Arrow of screws.

I find it interesting that several hundred years of screwdriver development was solely due to firearms though.

spog posted:

But not a Philips screwdriver, which was invented in 1934

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_F._Phillips

A phillips would just poke round holes in your can. I suppose you could pour some liquid out or whatever, but if you need to get to some sausages you'd be better off hitting it with a sharp rock.

spog posted:

The wiki on different scrw types is quite interesting and guaranteed to make you a hit at parties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

Ah, so a "spanner driver" is what I need if I get the urge to disassemble a restroom. Good to know.

vvv

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you poke enough round holes in your can, you can open it! (:rolleyes: looks like someone has never had to open a can with a Phillips driver. What a nube.)

Never leave home without your Leatherman. Also I didn't specify how sharp my sharp rock was.

Poking enough holes with a phillips head to open a can reminds me of thompson submachine guns in old cartoons, cutting an outline in a wall.

moller has a new favorite as of 11:37 on Jun 18, 2014

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

moller posted:

The wikipedia page for Screwdriver sort of seems like a Canadian-penned propaganda piece pitching Robertson screws, which are apparently the Avro Arrow of screws.

I find it interesting that several hundred years of screwdriver development was solely due to firearms though.

A phillips would just poke round holes in your can. I suppose you could pour some liquid out or whatever, but if you need to get to some sausages you'd be better off hitting it with a sharp rock.

If you poke enough round holes in your can, you can open it! (:rolleyes: looks like someone has never had to open a can with a Phillips driver. What a nube.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Most of the new screw heads are nice enough - torx is good, Allen/unbrako/hex is fine ... apart from being annoying to find drivers for, even triwing and pentalobe seem like they would be ok to use. I really do wonder why there are so many Philips head screws out there still.

Hell, even posidrive is way better when the driver and screw match, and that's a really small upgrade from Philips .

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Jun 18, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

indoflaven posted:

Was this posted? The P38 can opener.

We had those when I was a kid in scouts and they 'worked', but were still loving terrible.

Thankfully we realised that you could do exactly the same thing with an ordinary spoon and not have to worry about finding a loving razor blade with your hand whenever you reached into your pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lCQDUDRxJQ

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

*opens a can of pears*

"Voila! Peaches!"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
The P38 owns bones. I bought a big bag of them from an army surplus store years ago for next to nothing and I just toss 'em out when they get too dull. gently caress all those stupid twisty-handle can openers that barely work the day you buy them.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The P38 owns bones. I bought a big bag of them from an army surplus store years ago for next to nothing and I just toss 'em out when they get too dull. gently caress all those stupid twisty-handle can openers that barely work the day you buy them.

Side-open/Safety can openers are obviously superior to anything that goes in from the top.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You need yourself a can opener made in the old USA Swing-a-way factory. After Swing-a-way outsourced their production and became lovely, the factory remained open and still manufactures good can openers using the old molds under various "Made in USA" brands. I have one and its the first twisty can-opener I've ever used that didn't fight me when I tried to use it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zonekeeper posted:

You need yourself a can opener made in the old USA Swing-a-way factory. After Swing-a-way outsourced their production and became lovely, the factory remained open and still manufactures good can openers using the old molds under various "Made in USA" brands. I have one and its the first twisty can-opener I've ever used that didn't fight me when I tried to use it.

My parents have one of those. Built like a tank.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My theory is that Phillips head screws/drivers persist because you don't need precisely the right size driver to operate them, only to prevent them from stripping (they will anyway though). So you can pretty much snag any screw driver and it will work well enough, whereas for torqs, Allen, pretty much anything else besides flathead you have to use exactly the right one and therefore carry a million screw drivers with you for the various sized screws you'll encounter.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

^^

It's the opposite. I build furniture for a living so I literally put screws into and out of things all day. I can say for certain that I have 7 different flavours of Phillips floating around in my case and still manage to never have the right one not to strip the loving screw. However I have three sizes of robertsons - one which gets used for 90% of new stuff I build and the other two are barely used except for someone using oddball hardware.

My one single Robertson S2 bit has seen me through six months or more, has never been stripped, and never stripped a screw that wasn't already damaged.

Also I think it might be in my genetic code as a Canadian to defend robertson screws from blasphemy, sorry.

e - Screws can be serious business. Our furniture supplier switched screw suppliers, and as a result everything shipped with hardware had these wood screws without a shovel point. They were so bad that the company switched back and personally sent reps out to EVERY new build job site in North America with a bag of old screws until they were back in circulation with new product. They showed up with a bag of 500 and spent ten minutes apologizing for the inconvenience. A mind boggling amount of money was spent correcting that mistake.

Caedus has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Jun 19, 2014

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
You're going to end up with the whole collection of drivers eventually anyway.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Caedus posted:

Also I think it might be in my genetic code as a Canadian to defend robertson screws from blasphemy, sorry.

Robertson screws are fine in theory, absolutely useless in practice, because the guy refused to let anyone make or use the drat things.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

moller posted:

Side-open/Safety can openers are obviously superior to anything that goes in from the top.

Any regular wheel-type can opener is a side-opener. Hold it in your left hand and position the cutting wheel on the outer edge of the can. You just have to use it horizontally to the top of the can instead of vertically.

titties has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Jun 19, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keiya posted:

Robertson screws are fine in theory, absolutely useless in practice, because the guy refused to let anyone make or use the drat things.

I'da killed my dad if he made me help rebuild the kitchen floor with Philips heads. What's availability like in the States for woodscrews with torx or hex socket heads?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
My girlfriend has no idea how to use a normal can opener, because she grew up in Finland where they use those weird little blade things as standard. They seem to be more efficient than a can opener, as long as you know how to use them.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

moller posted:

The rock doesn't even need to be sharp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbxKbI9Ik4o

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
An impact driver makes Phillips head screws about a billion times easier to drive in without the bit camming out. You need much less pressure down on the head than with a typical driver drill. Still far from perfect, though. I'd much prefer it if Robertson was more prolific.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

sirbeefalot posted:

An impact driver makes Phillips head screws about a billion times easier to drive in without the bit camming out. You need much less pressure down on the head than with a typical driver drill. Still far from perfect, though. I'd much prefer it if Robertson was more prolific.

It's people using impact drivers to insert phillips heads and holding the trigger down "just to make sure" after they're well in that strips phillips heads in the first place. I would like to impact drill more then one persons hands, because it's always me that has to undo their hamfisted work to extract a switch from a rack or open a case. It's a pre-threaded hole you grubs, use a hand tool.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What's the advantage of Robertson vs Allen? They seem pretty similar apart from being 4 vs 6 points.

I'm personally a fan of Torx, at least for applications where getting grime into the heads isn't an issue.. But I guess that's a problem for Robertson and Allen as well.

But Philips can go gently caress itself, and take Pozidriv with it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Creature posted:

My girlfriend only knows how to use a normal can opener.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sir_Substance posted:

It's people using impact drivers to insert phillips heads and holding the trigger down "just to make sure" after they're well in that strips phillips heads in the first place. I would like to impact drill more then one persons hands, because it's always me that has to undo their hamfisted work to extract a switch from a rack or open a case. It's a pre-threaded hole you grubs, use a hand tool.

I'm talking about thread forming screws only, sorry. Driver drill with a clutch or a hand tool are better for machine screws, of course.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm talking about thread forming screws only, sorry. Driver drill with a clutch or a hand tool are better for machine screws, of course.

To be honest, I've never had a problem hand-screwing self-tapping screws either, but I can understand that if you did it all day that poo poo would get old real fast. Provided you're doing it into wood or something else that can deform to take the power of the driver, it's not such a big deal, but any situation where you are screwing into something non-deformable please pay attention to what you're doing, don't just hold the trigger down till it starts slipping.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I remember trying to teach two wizened old librarians up at a public school in the Bronx how to use PFS:File on their Apple ][ Plus as part of a NYC Board of Ed contract job just five or six years ago.

They didn't tell me exactly what I was going to do, just some 'general database tutoring,' I was expecting like some old lovely Access or Filemaker Pro setup on a 386 or some such animal.

When I saw their equipment my jaw hit the floor, the situation was straight out of a Community episode. They had found a bunch of unopened boxes in their basement and it turned out to be all never-used 20th century computer equipment. It was a bunch of Packard-Bell Apple ][s, with some Imagewriter printers, paper, and a handful of programs like Stickybear Bounce, PFS: File, AppleWriter //, Math Blaster, The Print Shop, Reader Rabbit, and a fistful of Sunburst programs like Incredible Machine, and of course the old standard Oregon Trail.

They were told their school couldn't expect any computer funding for at least two/three more years, but somehow they found money to pay me to teach them.

PFS:File was pretty decent for a program written in Apple Pascal; of course entering data was a nightmare because you had to hit control-A to Add a record, making fields was unwieldily and only supported upper case, and for some reason their machine didn't have an 80 column card so everything was in 40 columns. They'dve been better off with a dumb terminal and a IBM 360. Apple floppies only held 143 K (yes, K) of data so they went through a bunch of them, I believe they were Elephant brand. A case of them was found in the unopened trove.

They even got an old Color Imagewriter II in the bunch, and they had these visions of printing endless photos of their grandkids on their reams of pin-fed 10-pound paper, but the ribbons had dried out and I had to find a source for new ones. They weren't happy with the quality, but hey it was free.

Edit: considering the school was one of the underachieving ones, I think they're still using these same machines for adult education classes last I heard.

Binary Badger has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Jun 19, 2014

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

Binary Badger posted:

When I saw their equipment my jaw hit the floor, the situation was straight out of a Community episode. They had found a bunch of unopened boxes in their basement and it turned out to be all never-used 20th century computer equipment. It was a bunch of Packard-Bell Apple ][s, with some Imagewriter printers, paper, and a handful of programs like Stickybear Bounce, PFS: File, AppleWriter //, Math Blaster, The Print Shop, Reader Rabbit, and a fistful of Sunburst programs like Incredible Machine, and of course the old standard Oregon Trail.

Unopened boxes, eh? I bet they could've sold those things to collectors and easily made enough money to buy modern equipment.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I used to use PFS: Professional Write on my XT; it was the poo poo. I loved it so much I refused to stop using it until I upgraded to Win95 and gave in to the siren call of long filenames.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
You know what I just caught myself doing?

Using Win7 at work, I needed to edit a build file, and I was in a command prompt.

> edit buildfile.build

I miss MS-DOS EDIT more than I thought I did, apparently.

I used to use it all the time, it was great for those constant autoexec.bat / config.sys tweaks. Someone port it to Win7!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Mr. Beefhead posted:

Unopened boxes, eh? I bet they could've sold those things to collectors and easily made enough money to buy modern equipment.

Apple II listings on ebay

Look at some of the sold prices. I need to keep an eye out at yard sales.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
BlackBerry, the company that gives on giving, has given us a unique look into obsolete tech of the future...today!

And yes...that last one is real:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DrBouvenstein posted:

BlackBerry, the company that gives on giving, has given us a unique look into obsolete tech of the future...today!

The gently caress is with that keyboard?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Binary Badger posted:

And you just opened it to use it? It belongs in a museum!!!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

They had already opened most of the boxes and packaging so they could shove everything they could (except the machines and printers) into file cabinets. Mostly everything had already been set up by them, except for a few System Savers and 16K cards. Nooooo, they didn't want to open up any equipment. Boxes, yeah, computers themselves no.

I think there were some Videx 80 column cards sitting unused but I didn't feel like hunting for the wire needed to do the Shift Key Mod, I think it used to be included with the cards but there was nothing but the card.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

That actually looks cool as hell. Wish it ran something besides the poo poo Blackberry OS.

Shades of how I imagined the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy back when I first read the books as a kid.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I was reminded of this bizarrely fascinating documentary : Gizmo, which appears to be an assortment of newsreels inventors trying to show off their inventions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaVwqraUKxA.

There's some dreadful untended double entendres. "I was in my backyard, entertaining my friend with my hands, and I decided to create a device that could do this faster....I will now play Dixie".

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Collateral Damage posted:

What's the advantage of Robertson vs Allen? They seem pretty similar apart from being 4 vs 6 points.

I'm personally a fan of Torx, at least for applications where getting grime into the heads isn't an issue.. But I guess that's a problem for Robertson and Allen as well.

But Philips can go gently caress itself, and take Pozidriv with it.

I come across torx and and allen heads often, and they're easy to use with a drill or hand driver. My main complaint is whoever thought phillips wood screws should be included with something without pilot holes. If I put a robertson, torx, or allen on my drill then have to operate it upside down with one hand, any one of those will stay on the bit until it catches. I have met no such phillips that allows me to do that and irritates me when they are included in stuff where that is clearly going to be a problem. I end up just keeping a small supply of my own hardware with me to avoid the hassle if it comes up.

However I admit that as a tool that every person owns and can operate, most everything consumer friendly will use Phillips and for 98% of the planet it's good enough to get by on.

Keiya: That may have been true, but it isn't anymore. They're as widely available as any other type now, and have become the standard in my industry and others.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Caedus posted:

If I put a robertson, torx, or allen on my drill then have to operate it upside down with one hand, any one of those will stay on the bit until it catches. I have met no such phillips that allows me to do that and irritates me when they are included in stuff where that is clearly going to be a problem.

This is because phillips are designed to cam out as torque increases. I used to service Japanese photo printers that used JIS (Japanese industrial standard) head screws that are the opposite - designed to not cam out as torque load increases. You could put the driver into a vertically mounted screw and it wouldn't fall out. Technically they aren't phillips head screws but the tips are cross-compatible between the two (and you actually do get a bit of extra purchase when driving phillips screws with a JIS driver.)

Of course you aren't going to find JIS wood screws, and I've had yet to find a JIS tip for a drill driver...

Geoj has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Jun 20, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

DrBouvenstein posted:

Basically a Sony Z2 with an inferior keyboard and useless screen dimensions. I don't know how Blackberry ever got popular, I always hated them even though it was my patriotic duty to own one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WebDog posted:

I was reminded of this bizarrely fascinating documentary : Gizmo, which appears to be an assortment of newsreels inventors trying to show off their inventions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaVwqraUKxA.

There's some dreadful untended double entendres. "I was in my backyard, entertaining my friend with my hands, and I decided to create a device that could do this faster....I will now play Dixie".

Gizmo is pretty great, yeah.