Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

Finally we did it! Hayne should have just kept running

The second he caught that I was screaming at him to keep running till he got to the fence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

It, like the fireworks, had been in storage for a long time
It's great, haha

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
About bloody time

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Farah with (I assume) his dad, :3:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

-Spiffy- posted:

Whelp they actually did it. If anyone deserves this its Hayne and they will name the trophy after him or medal or whatever.

Facebook can now how its first batch of unbearable posts for NSW fans.

At least it's better than the :smug: NSW have taken for the past 8 years.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Intoluene posted:

At least it's better than the :smug: NSW have taken for the past 8 years.

I'm not going to miss the smugness.

Oh wait, it's still there judging by my Facebook wall.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
As a QLD supporter its easy for me to say, but that was the worst game of origin I have seen.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Yay nsw

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

iajanus posted:

The second he caught that I was screaming at him to keep running till he got to the fence

I thought he should have done a big swan dive try in his own in goal to finish it off.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

I thought he should have done a big swan dive try in his own in goal to finish it off.

Knowing our normal luck he would have dropped it and cost us the series and they would have won another nine

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Cherry Evans was totally invisible tonight. Made a big difference.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hayne man of the series

Aurora-Capitah
Apr 29, 2014

by XyloJW
Qld suck. NSW good.
Seriously though, pretty average game but gently caress you Thurston. Good job Hayne.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

loving hell. If Pearce had half a brain we'd all be posting about Qld's ninth series in a row right about now.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

ili posted:

loving hell. If Pearce had half a brain we'd all be posting about Qld's ninth series in a row right about now.

For the first time ever, thank you Pearce!

Aurora-Capitah
Apr 29, 2014

by XyloJW
hahah qld gay!

e: sorry perhaps that is insensitive to gay people.

Aurora-Capitah fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 18, 2014

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Dave loving Taylor.

Aurora-Capitah
Apr 29, 2014

by XyloJW
but that was a seriously lovely game, hopefully they'll (both) loosen up a bit now that te pressure is off for game 3.

(qld is gay)

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Aurora-Capitah posted:

but that was a seriously lovely game, hopefully they'll (both) loosen up a bit now that te pressure is off for game 3.

(qld is gay)

The man pyramids that kept forming in the tackle ruined it. Origin is always hosed when they just lay around the place, and it showed in that "fantastic attacking display".

gently caress Shane Hayne off, anyone else would be better at this point.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Just got back from the pub. Was a pretty poo poo game compared to the first one. Lots of errors on both sides, not to mention dog acts. But we finally got the win! :dance:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Someone at Channel 9 needs to tell Ray Warren how to pronounce 'Imparja'.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I would say well done to the winners but it was more about who deserved to lose less rather than win more. There were so many errors.

It's funny there are some university students who for the first time since primary school see their team win a SoO

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Well done NSW. It had to happen at some stage. Luckily I got some great football to cheer me up!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Listening to Mal/Cam's press conference, Cam looks like he would literally like to be anywhere else in the world and Mal is passive aggressively blaming the Thaiday "try" and Woods touching the kickoff for the loss whilst explicitly saying they aren't making excuses. Quite satisfying, although I would love for both coaches to come out and say that the teams had absolutely terrible attack and handling and pretty much entirely went out trying to start fights.

e: also, was reading the rules and was not aware that it's illegal to head the ball forward. The more you know.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 19, 2014

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

iajanus posted:

Listening to Mal/Cam's press conference, Cam looks like he would literally like to be anywhere else in the world and Mal is passive aggressively blaming the Thaiday "try" and Woods touching the kickoff for the loss whilst explicitly saying they aren't making excuses. Quite satisfying, although I would love for both coaches to come out and say that the teams had absolutely terrible attack and handling and pretty much entirely went out trying to start fights.

e: also, was reading the rules and was not aware that it's illegal to head the ball forward. The more you know.

To be fair both of those decisions were incorrect and would've made a massive difference.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Thaiday no try was the correct call, falling on the ball with your chest isn't the same thing as regathering it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The try was clearly a dropped ball and correctly ruled a no-try, and the ball touching Woods was physically impossible for the ref to rule differently about (he was directly behind Woods, and the ball didn't change direction/rotation at all after brushing him). Short of having x-ray vision the ref made as good a call as possible. Obviously awarding that try incorrectly would have made a difference, but that's not saying much, really. The other would have made for an interesting finish, but that sort of thing happens all the time so there's literally no point whining about it (eg. if in Game 1 Qld had scored on the back of the "knock-on" at the end of the game it would be a similar story).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

The Thaiday no try was the correct call, falling on the ball with your chest isn't the same thing as regathering it.

I like that they fixed that loophole, it was pretty stupid that you could lose the ball cleanly and so long as you landed on it you'd still be awarded the try. Just like if you drop the ball anywhere else on the field but land on it you get to keep playing oh wait that's right....

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Need to see it again to make sure, but Hayne played at the ball and dislodged it, Thaiday lands on the ball that's a try. It was 50/50 whether Thaiday regathered or not but it's irrelevant since Hayne knocked it out.

edit: similar to the 'controversial' Inglis try a few years back where Farah played at and dislodged the ball.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Need to see it again to make sure, but Hayne played at the ball and dislodged it, Thaiday lands on the ball that's a try. It was 50/50 whether Thaiday regathered or not but it's irrelevant since Hayne knocked it out.

edit: similar to the 'controversial' Inglis try a few years back where Farah played atk and dislodged the ball.

They referred to it last night but they closed that loophole: you need to actually regain control of the ball prior to forcing it for it to count. Thaiday only got his hands on it again as he hit the turf so it was correctly ruled off.

E: Section 10 rule 2 of the laws of the game to be specific. You have to regather possession before it touches the ground.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 19, 2014

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

They referred to it last night but they closed that loophole: you need to actually regain control of the ball prior to forcing it for it to count. Thaiday only got his hands on it again as he hit the turf so it was correctly ruled off.

No, when the ball is punched out by the defender it's play on therefore Thaiday doesn't have to do anything but fall on the ball over the line. They didn't change that rule during the week did they?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

No, when the ball is punched out by the defender it's play on therefore Thaiday doesn't have to do anything but fall on the ball over the line. They didn't change that rule during the week did they?

There's a difference between being intentionally punched out and having a loose enough carry so that the ball comes out when hit as part of a normal tackle. As usual whether that's the case is subjective but there's certainly a case that it was just jarred loose as part of a normal tackle. Anywhere else on the field that would have been called a knock on, so I don't think they erred considerably.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

iajanus posted:

the ball touching Woods was physically impossible for the ref to rule differently about (he was directly behind Woods, and the ball didn't change direction/rotation at all after brushing him). Short of having x-ray vision the ref made as good a call as possible.

Video ref should be able to call an audible to reverse the on field decision when it's as blatantly wrong as that. They had plenty of time before play restarted, no reason in the modern game for that not to happen. Absolutely ridiculous that they were able to get away with that...

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

iajanus posted:

There's a difference between being intentionally punched out and having a loose enough carry so that the ball comes out when hit as part of a normal tackle. As usual whether that's the case is subjective but there's certainly a case that it was just jarred loose as part of a normal tackle. Anywhere else on the field that would have been called a knock on, so I don't think they erred considerably.

The part that confused me was that they judged it a knock on in goal, because I remember the refs gave a 20 meter restart. The ball came loose (regardless of how it happened) in the field of play, so I assumed that play would have restarted from that point (or the 10)

Mootallica fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 19, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Th Broncos have decided I am a member and have been sending me member exclusive emails.

I'm so confused, I never asked for any of this.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Mootallica posted:

The part that confused me was that they judged it a knock on in goal, because I remember the refs gave a 20 meter restart. The ball came loose (regardless of how it happened) in the field of play, so I assumed that play would have restarted from that point (or the 10)

Yeah that was a bit surprising. Especially since they looked at it a few times, presumably to work out where it happened. Not the first time the video ref has made a strange call.

Saul Goode posted:

The only problem with that is that it leads to the players trying to delay the game as much as possible in the hopes of getting a call overturned. You see it already with them staying down in the hopes of getting a high shot called, and a couple of years ago they had it so that any knock on would cause them to check for a strip, which immediately got the game to slow down a heap. I don't know if the league wants to go down that road again. I do agree that it seems like it should be possible somehow, though.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I believe the video ref should gently caress the hell off except for obvious foul play and in try decisions. Anything else is up to the two Refs.

I also believe in a graded 5 / 10 / Off for all forms of foul play, from head highs to working the head and lifting, to being Braith Anasta. Your second head high pen? 10 in the bin. Third and your off.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

bowmore posted:

Th Broncos have decided I am a member and have been sending me member exclusive emails.

I'm so confused, I never asked for any of this.

:horse:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The image of Greg Bird bawling during Gnomeo and Juliet cracks me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

I believe the video ref should gently caress the hell off except for obvious foul play and in try decisions. Anything else is up to the two Refs.

I also believe in a graded 5 / 10 / Off for all forms of foul play, from head highs to working the head and lifting, to being Braith Anasta. Your second head high pen? 10 in the bin. Third and your off.

I agree with all points wholeheartedly.

• Locked thread