Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

What temperature is too hot to show up to the track?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Is the asphalt literally lava? Still not hot enough; dress appropriately, bring more water.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

More heat = more ice chests! We may get lucky at Buttonwillow this time, the extended forecast is showing 86/85/84 for next fri-sun.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
I just did BW with NASA last weekend. 100-105* all weekend. It was...taxing.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Race car or street car?

The number doesn't exist for a street car. And doesn't exist for a race car if you add a cool suit.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Race cars can have a/c too.

Depends on how good the cooling system is. A lot of stock sports cars are not going to be happy if you go out and thrash them on track in 110 degree weather.

Basic things that will really help:

-aftermarket radiator
-more water than coolant
-real working coolant temp gauge

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Don't turn your AC on. You'll be dumping water all over the track.

aventari posted:

Honestly it's still a hell of a lot safer than commuting to work everyday.

The safety regs are more than fine, poo poo just happens sometimes. Maybe I'll put a bit more effort into getting that roll bar for my track car sooner rather than later

Safety from the car perspective is probably OK. Cars are getting faster and faster, and safety equipment is keeping an equal pace. The issue I see is that track safety is not keeping an equal pace. When any knucklehead can pick up a 400hp rocket ship like a Corvette or this incident's GTO for pennies and launch off the track at ridiculous speeds, we might need to start thinking about changing the barriers that served us for decades of slower cars. Adding to the problem is that bikes and cars can have a dichotomy of safety requirements, and tracks need to cut one revenue stream to serve the other. I'm sure there is no good solution, but I'll continue to dream.

I think I'll add Summit Point to the list of tracks that I never want to run at. I haven't seen the layout, but it seems like a gross oversight to have unprotected trees in an area that can collect cars.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
LeMans cars actually require the ambient temp of the cockpit to be less than 90° or so, and are AC equipped, although they're not the traditional AC.

I'd say a good external oil cooler is more important than an aftermarket radiator, especially with turbo equipped cars.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I think I'll add Summit Point to the list of tracks that I never want to run at. I haven't seen the layout, but it seems like a gross oversight to have unprotected trees in an area that can collect cars.

Summit Point has a few tracks. This GTO incident was on Jefferson. Summit Point main isn't as dangerous; though it also has its spots. But they are in slow sections. There is runoff/escape road at the end of the main straight and the high speed sections.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

Race cars can have a/c too.

Depends on how good the cooling system is. A lot of stock sports cars are not going to be happy if you go out and thrash them on track in 110 degree weather.

Basic things that will really help:

-aftermarket radiator
-more water than coolant
-real working coolant temp gauge
And maybe an aftermarket oil cooler. My LGT's oil temps got pretty high at Thunderhill in the summer.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Man, I came in here stoked to announce that I made it through a rather intense weekend of instructor training. Passed the test and got an invite into the instructor corps. I haven't been this excited about something that happened at the track since I popped my track cherry. And you guys have to remind me that this hobby is dangerous. :mad: And that is why we got two full days of instruction on how to teach newbies and corral problem cases.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
Had a great day at Toronto Motorsports Park (Cayuga). First time doing a time attack event and I think I will be back. Did better in practice than in the time attack session but only ended up 0.5sec off my best practice pace. Only ~30 cars registered today and as much track time as you could stand from 9-2:30.

Since I had not driven this track before it took me a while to get the line dialed in. Thankfully there was an instructor there that I was able to have ride along for 20 laps or so and that really helped in sorting things out. Since the only other track I have driven is Mosport the flat, technical nature of this course was quite a change.

One issue was that when I ran below 1/2 a tank, one cornering direction would cause the engine to briefly cut out. I suspect this is due to fuel starvation caused by sloshing in the tank. This is in a BMW E46 330Ci. I have not had this happen on previous track days at Mosport. However, I suspect it is more due to this being the first time I have run R-comp tires with traction control off rather than the track. With traction control on, I couldn't accelerate out of the turns even though I had zero wheel slip. Will have to look at options to fix the tank issue or just keep it full...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I may show up to the Buttonwillow LeMons race this weekend, who here is racing there?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

We're heading there this weekend. We're in an 80's inspired volvo 780.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

ZincBoy posted:

This is in a BMW E46 330Ci.

You! I didn't know you were a goon. I was in the yellow E36. Since I saw you were on a square sticky setup, and I was as stock as it gets (OEM Sachs yo) you were my benchmark for the day.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

keykey posted:

We're heading there this weekend. We're in an 80's inspired volvo 780.

If I do come, it'll be early Saturday probably. Mind sending me an email? djcommie at gee male.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

You! I didn't know you were a goon. I was in the yellow E36. Since I saw you were on a square sticky setup, and I was as stock as it gets (OEM Sachs yo) you were my benchmark for the day.

ZincBoy posted:

Had a great day at Toronto Motorsports Park (Cayuga). First time doing a time attack event and I think I will be back. Did better in practice than in the time attack session but only ended up 0.5sec off my best practice pace. Only ~30 cars registered today and as much track time as you could stand from 9-2:30.

Both of you need to come lap at shannonville & calabogie! Next calabogie day is July 21st with MCO.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Ziploc posted:

Ha! I was using you as a benchmark as well as I thought your car was closest in capability to my own. Now I just need to learn to drive better to beat you :) My suspension has been refreshed but only with Bilstien HD shocks not coil-overs. I went with the Nitto NT01 in 255/40/17 as the Michelin PSS staggered setup I have on it was getting too expensive to keep replacing the front tires.

I have signed up for the next one July 6th.

TrueChaos posted:

Both of you need to come lap at shannonville & calabogie! Next calabogie day is July 21st with MCO.

Calabogie is about a 5 hour drive for me and I am camping that weekend so I can't make it. Shannonville is more reasonable at just over two hours away. Are there any dates planned for there?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Maaaan. 255. I think I'm lucky if I can get 245 square without rolling. I only just got the car. So I'm running with what it has. Unknown pads (which held up well) and staggered PSSs. Most of the bushings are newish but OEM. And they feel a bit squidgy.

I'm quite impressed with the performance/balance. It's really easy to drive. Considering this is as close as it gets to a 'new' E36 M3, I get why they're renowned. If it's this good bone freakin' stock, they're definitely a really nice platform.

I have my eyes on some K1s and RS3s/Dunlop Z2s.

Did you find your diff was holding you back at all that day? Thinking of an LSD? What city?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Octopus Magic posted:

LeMans cars actually require the ambient temp of the cockpit to be less than 90° or so, and are AC equipped, although they're not the traditional AC.

I'd say a good external oil cooler is more important than an aftermarket radiator, especially with turbo equipped cars.

The Corvettes have always used GM parts bin AC, actually.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

ZincBoy posted:

Calabogie is about a 5 hour drive for me and I am camping that weekend so I can't make it. Shannonville is more reasonable at just over two hours away. Are there any dates planned for there?

You can camp at the track at bogie! Shannonville I'm not sure about, St.Lac just does one event there per year and I haven't run with anyone else there yet.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Anybody coming to Pocono on July 12? Gonna do my first HPDE. :ohdear:

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Got a link to the event? Might be my birthday present

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.
If you're looking for a good group to go to Calabogie with you should go with 3Balls Racing on August 9-10th. Two days of open track with point by passing. Should be easy to get a good instructor if you ask. http://3ballsracing.com/events/event/28/Calabogie-Motorsports-Park-on-Saturday--August-9--2014 I'm hoping to have the funds for the trip but I have to get the Z repaired first.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Ziploc posted:

Maaaan. 255. I think I'm lucky if I can get 245 square without rolling. I only just got the car. So I'm running with what it has. Unknown pads (which held up well) and staggered PSSs. Most of the bushings are newish but OEM. And they feel a bit squidgy.

The 255 fits without spacers or rolling the fenders on the E46. I do have -3 camber in the front and if I had coilovers I would need spacers there.

I have been really happy with Pagid RS29 front and Pagid RS19 rear pads on the track. I have done 6 two day HDPEs, and the time attack session on them and they are still around 70%. No fade that I have noticed at all. The drawback is that they squeal like a dump truck and the rears rattle due to no retainer spring.

For the bushings, I found the FCABs were critical to upgrade to poly. I had heavy front end vibration when braking from >150kph at the end of straights on the track. It felt like a warped rotor but swapping out the nearly new Meyle HD FCABs (1 year old) with some UUC poly ones completely solved it.

Ziploc posted:

I'm quite impressed with the performance/balance. It's really easy to drive. Considering this is as close as it gets to a 'new' E36 M3, I get why they're renowned. If it's this good bone freakin' stock, they're definitely a really nice platform.

I have my eyes on some K1s and RS3s/Dunlop Z2s.

Did you find your diff was holding you back at all that day? Thinking of an LSD? What city?

I was looking for a E36 M3 when I found an excellent deal on the 330 and couldn't pass it up. Looking back, I wish I had stuck with the M3 as it would have been cheaper in the long run.

No issues with the diff, I have a LSD that I put in last year from diffsonline. It has a 3.38 ratio instead of the 2.93 stock ratio and that has made a big difference in the feel of the car.

I also think I got the swaybar setup fairly sorted out. On the staggered setup I had the front at medium stiff and the rear at full stiff to try to dial out some of the understeer. When I went to the square wheel setup, I put them back to full stiff front and medium rear. This lead to not being able to do anything but understeer on the skidpad. Putting them back to medium front and full rear seemed to be fine on the square setup and I had both over and understeer events on the track.

sig11 posted:

If you're looking for a good group to go to Calabogie with you should go with 3Balls Racing on August 9-10th. Two days of open track with point by passing. Should be easy to get a good instructor if you ask. http://3ballsracing.com/events/event/28/Calabogie-Motorsports-Park-on-Saturday--August-9--2014 I'm hoping to have the funds for the trip but I have to get the Z repaired first.

I will see if I can fit this in as I have those dates open right now. Looks like it would be a good opportunity to try Calabogie.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you have a 330, it sounds like it'd be the perfect candidate for a Spec E46.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

sig11 posted:

Yeah they're a good group. I'm looking in to going up on Saturday, we'll see. That's a phenomenal price for bogie, MCO days are like 350 for the day.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Anybody using oil coolers with thermostatic sandwich plates? I recently swapped my standard oil/water cooled turbo for a purely oilcooled one and it seems to take a lot longer to drop oiltemps than before.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

smelly cabin filter posted:

Anybody using oil coolers with thermostatic sandwich plates? I recently swapped my standard oil/water cooled turbo for a purely oilcooled one and it seems to take a lot longer to drop oiltemps than before.

Does your sandwich adapter have a thermostat in it? I know my Greddy adapter has one, and it warms up to about 78C before opening up.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

smelly cabin filter posted:

Yeah all I ever use are thermostatic sandwich adapter plates to add an oil cooler.

What do you mean it takes longer to drop oil temps? Drop them from what? As I'm sure you know the point of them is to let the oil heat up to proper temp quickly and then keep the temp there so you're not hammering on the thing with cold oil.

this is what I've run on a few cars, it open up at 180F
http://www.autotech.com/product/oil-cooling/10-117-304K.html?fromcat=

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Phone posted:

If you have a 330, it sounds like it'd be the perfect candidate for a Spec E46.

I had not heard of that before. Thanks for the suggestion! After looking at the rules, it looks like I would only need the suspension and the cage to be pretty much ideal for the class. All of the mods I have done fit in the rules although I guess I would need to confirm the 3.38 diff I have versus the 3.46 allowed in the rules. I would think that the lower ratio would be okay, but I don't really want to buy another diff...

I am still trying to decide if I turn this into a dedicated track car as I am building a Factory Five 818R. I suspect the 818R will not have a class to race in where it is competitive for quite some time. It will be fun for track days and time attack, but if I want to get into wheel to wheel then I think a more class based platform would be better.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

aventari posted:

Yeah all I ever use are thermostatic sandwich adapter plates to add an oil cooler.

What do you mean it takes longer to drop oil temps? Drop them from what? As I'm sure you know the point of them is to let the oil heat up to proper temp quickly and then keep the temp there so you're not hammering on the thing with cold oil.

this is what I've run on a few cars, it open up at 180F
http://www.autotech.com/product/oil-cooling/10-117-304K.html?fromcat=

When I meant dropping temp I meant on the cooldown lap and idle the oil seemed to take a lot longer to get cooler than with the old turbo. It didnt help that the indy circuit is a pretty short lap, so a cooldown lap pretty much does gently caress all.

Also oiltemps were going over 120c after 6 laps, so I was keeping sessions pretty short. Currently not running any oilcooler apart from the standard one on the block.

I'm going to go with a mocal cooler and have someone make some lines up. But they have the option of an inline stat along with the usual one built into the sandwich plate. So I just wondered if the inline ones were better?
http://www.mocal.co.uk/products.html#thermostats

Also crossposting some pics.

Not pictured, me getting murked by a GT-R and everything else not on street rubber. Also the fucker in the sti who spun off at paddock hill bend as soon as I started my last session causing a red flag which meant they just shut the track down and started to go home :argh:

I think im gonna go back soon because I realy want to try the GP circuit, but i've got to find a TDO that runs it. Also the fact that its less than an hour away from me appeals because i'm lazy like that.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

A thermostat will let the car's oil warm up quicker.

Get the biggest oil cooler you can fit.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Octopus Magic posted:

A thermostat will let the car's oil warm up quicker.

Get the biggest oil cooler you can fit.

+1

And if the sandwich plate has a tstat in it already it's pointless to get the inline one. Just go with the sandwich plate. I've used Mocal ones for 15 years with zero problems.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ZincBoy posted:

I am still trying to decide if I turn this into a dedicated track car as I am building a Factory Five 818R. I suspect the 818R will not have a class to race in where it is competitive for quite some time. It will be fun for track days and time attack, but if I want to get into wheel to wheel then I think a more class based platform would be better.

Would love to see some photos or build thread on the 818R. Looks like a great little toy.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Did my first time attack today. So much fun getting the track to yourself for a few laps. I was about 2s off a typical m3 with street tires time so I have lots of room to improve. Mainly hitting the apexes consistently leading onto the straights. Also need to come up with an in car mount, I don't like this one for track days.

http://youtu.be/X17gmfHmpQg

Also, dumbass story of the day. A guy was walking around asking for a spare lugnut...I never asked why. Then about an hour later I was talking to the tech inspector and he said the guy only had 4/5 lugnuts on each wheel. When told he needed all 5, he pointed at a miata and said "but that car only has 4!".

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Got a link to the event? Might be my birthday present

http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1868

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Check out these guys for serious business mounts for pretty much anything. Decent prices too. http://www.rammount.com/Products/CameraMounts/tabid/109/Default.aspx

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
Uploaded a few laps from one of my practice sessions at the time attack last weekend. I kept forgetting to setup one of the gopro, GPS, or datalogger so most of the laps did not turn out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH5LGwa_MPM

Ignore the lap counter, the GPS log seems to have gone nuts due to the starting point being right on the finish line. Only did about 70 laps at that point.

I mean to start an 818 build thread as that might force me to make progress on it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Heading to Thunderhill in the 510 to try the new extended 5 mile circuit on Friday. Anyone run it yet?