Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tran posted:

You might be thinking of Linux Assassin.

ONLY HE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tran posted:

You might be thinking of Linux Assassin.
VINDICARI GRIM!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
God this is less greatest hits more greatest shits jesus that post

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That wasn't the only time Linux assassin did colossally stupid things, too

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Captain Foo posted:

That wasn't the only time Linux assassin did colossally stupid things, too

NERVE GAS

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
What? This needs further explanation.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I guess I dodged a bullet, 'cause I don't remember a single bit of this poo poo. Can we have storytime?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

*blows up a camper van*
*causes a total party kill*

"Sometimes you eat the bar, sometimes the bar eats you."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sion posted:

*blows up a camper van*
*causes a total party kill*

"Sometimes you eat the bar, sometimes the bar eats you."

Was I in that game? I think I was in that game. Was that Winson's Hunter: the Vigil game? I think it was. Wait, maybe there were two games that ended with a TPK caused by camper van explosion...

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Was I in that game? I think I was in that game. Was that Winson's Hunter: the Vigil game? I think it was. Wait, maybe there were two games that ended with a TPK caused by camper van explosion...

Yaeh it was a Hunter game.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Now I'm trying to remember the game that started with a suicide bomber in a space station bar, and ended with one or two of the PCs sitting back for a final round of drinks because another insisted on trying to tackle the bomber into submission.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sion posted:

Yaeh it was a Hunter game.

It was a Hunter game in which I played a thinly veiled Yvette Fielding pastiche called Yvonne Carling and it was a delight. No-one else would get that but you, sion. No-one else. . .

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Android Blues posted:

It was a Hunter game in which I played a thinly veiled Yvette Fielding pastiche called Yvonne Carling and it was a delight. No-one else would get that but you, sion. No-one else. . .

Hahaha, that's great.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bieeardo posted:

Now I'm trying to remember the game that started with a suicide bomber in a space station bar, and ended with one or two of the PCs sitting back for a final round of drinks because another insisted on trying to tackle the bomber into submission.

This was definitely a confusedus game but I forget who the tackler was

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

This was definitely a confusedus game but I forget who the tackler was

me, it was me as my sock puppet etherwind

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Was this prior or post-three dudes, one elf?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

grassy gnoll posted:

Was this prior or post-three dudes, one elf?

That's true named double dongs thanks. I think it was before.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Captain Foo posted:

That's true named double dongs thanks. I think it was before.

oh god you reminded me of it now i have to scrub my brain again

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If you peeps aren't reading the current Awful Survivor, you're missing Winson laying out treatises on child rearing that are as fantastic as they are typed frantically on a five minute time limit.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Maltose posted:

If you peeps aren't reading the current Awful Survivor, you're missing Winson laying out treatises on child rearing that are as fantastic as they are typed frantically on a five minute time limit.

Link?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Full thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632295

Winson's discussion on childcare and Fast Luck bullshitting about speedrunning for half an hour are on the last handful of pages.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

that is amazing and crazy

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Two days and the Betrayal at House on the Hill game is already full. There is no justice in this world.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Full thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632295

Winson's discussion on childcare and Fast Luck bullshitting about speedrunning for half an hour are on the last handful of pages.

IT IS THE FINAL SHOWDOWN

Should be good stuff.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

paradoxGentleman posted:

Two days and the Betrayal at House on the Hill game is already full. There is no justice in this world.

Don't worry, the game might be over soon enough, especially with a turn three haunt

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

TheNabster posted:

Don't worry, the game might be over soon enough, especially with a turn three haunt
haha good luck humans!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Whenever I play Betrayal, I always houserule that the haunt can't happen before an appreciable amount of the house is explored because of exactly this situation. God drat.

Edit: The zombie lord is one of the easier haunts, though.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 3, 2014

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

TheNabster posted:

That takes some serious bad luck. You guys are basically food for zombies.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

That takes some serious bad luck. You guys are basically food for zombies.

Bad luck indeed, this was the roll that triggered it

Mister Chuck(Traitor) ROLLS FOR THEIR HAUNT ROLL: 1. (0,1,0,0,0,0) Omens = 4

EDIT: On that note Green, what is the number of turns before you start rolling for the haunt in your house rule?

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 3, 2014

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

TheNabster posted:

Bad luck indeed, this was the roll that triggered it

Mister Chuck(Traitor) ROLLS FOR THEIR HAUNT ROLL: 1. (0,1,0,0,0,0) Omens = 4

EDIT: On that note Green, what is the number of turns before you start rolling for the haunt in your house rule?

With my group it's usually just a matter of seeing a Haunt trigger and all agreeing 'nope, way too soon for that bullshit'.

We also house rule that any time we'd get the treasure hunt haunt, we skip it for something else, because what is even the point in calling it Betrayal at House on the Hill if there's no betrayal?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

RandallODim posted:

With my group it's usually just a matter of seeing a Haunt trigger and all agreeing 'nope, way too soon for that bullshit'.

We also house rule that any time we'd get the treasure hunt haunt, we skip it for something else, because what is even the point in calling it Betrayal at House on the Hill if there's no betrayal?

Yep. It's generally by group consensus, aka "nope, this will be total bullshit without more of the house discovered." I'd say having between a third and half of the tiles laid out gives a decently-sized house usually? I haven't played Betrayal in a while. In one game we explored nearly the entire house because everyone kept rolling 2s on their haunt rolls.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Wow that was quick.

On that note though. Sign ups are open again for anyone interested!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

I was a little interested in joining up with a Mafia game.

But watching the Mafialike Civilization thread people are really taking it super seriously, like, geez, it's a game, why are you getting so worked up about it.

Still would join though, even if I took one look at the rules for that variation and went "Whaaaat?"

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

TheNabster posted:

But watching the Mafialike Civilization thread people are really taking it super seriously, like, geez, it's a game, why are you getting so worked up about it.

Still would join though, even if I took one look at the rules for that variation and went "Whaaaat?"

The Civ game is nothing like normal Mafia. There's a small game starting right now that is f_v's first game, no weird roles and no true assholes or shitposters have signed up yet (if you tell windshipper I said that, I will deny it completely). The game's here, and still has a few spots open if you're interested. There's also the Mafia discussion thread here.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Meanwhile in Betrayal, a turn three haunt triggers, but this time I slap it with the Veto button.

The game wants it, if I did it in the order that the turn orders were given to me, a haunt would have triggered on Zoric's turn. When I did it through turn order that haunt would have not triggered but a separate haunt entirely would trigger instead.

Clearly the solution is for everyone to stop all simultaneously revealing Omens on turn 3

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 10, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

TheNabster posted:

I've been playing SA mafia for like 4 years and the Civ game was particularly challenging for me to get into, to the point where the combination of me in a bad RL state and the game's unique factors meant I had to replace out.

Try a normal game, look for one that boasts a more standard setup.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

TheNabster posted:

Meanwhile in Betrayal, a turn three haunt triggers, but this time I slap it with the Veto button.

The game wants it, if I did it in the order that the turn orders were given to me, a haunt would have triggered on Zoric's turn. When I did it through turn order that haunt would have not triggered but a separate haunt entirely would trigger instead.

Clearly the solution is for everyone to stop all simultaneously revealing Omens on turn 3

I wonder: is this bad luck or bad game design? Are there too many omen rooms in this game?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

I wonder: is this bad luck or bad game design? Are there too many omen rooms in this game?

From what I can gather from the haunt list, there are over 13 Omens and 13 Rooms out of 45 that contain those Omens. So ideally, if you get 1 Omen per turn, and roll the average dice roll of 6 consistently on your 6 Dice Haunt Roll, the haunt would start around turn 7, which at that point the house would be mostly explored, and the explorers relatively well equipped.

So I think it is mainly just bad luck.

EDIT: I asked a guy I know on Skype to help me crunch numbers for a thought, with 6 players the chance for at least 1 Omen to be revealed is 87.1%, and the chance for it not to be is 12.9%
So as it goes down the list, the chances for multiple omen's being revealed are

2 Omens = 43.55%
3 Omens = 21.78%
4 Omens = 10.89%
5 Omens = 5.44%
6 Omens = 2.72%

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 10, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I've played Betrayal with 6 people IRL, and it's pretty surprising how quickly you can empty the stack of room tiles (and find every single omen in the process).

Imagine having a nearly completed house when the Blob Haunt is chosen, except that there are two different secret passages which allow the blob to completely surround the players
(blacktext to prevent current players from possibly being spoiled)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
I've only played Betrayal 2-3 times, but at an educated guess, it's less that there's too many omen rooms or anything, and more that the game has enough different variables going on that things can easily become unbalanced depending on how things are laid out and what haunt you get.

I remember one game where the house was sinking into a swamp or something, but the non-traitors were laughably close to the rooms needed to escape, and they sailed away laughing while the traitor had no chance to stop them. I can't really complain, it was fun anyway.