Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Or you could watch them in their released order, like a sane person.

I wonder how annoyed Lucas is that he hasn't re-released another Special OT after the PT just so that he could claim the episode numbers line up with order of release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I actually kinda like the 45236 order, now that I'm giving it some thought.

If you watch it in released order, the prequel trilogy just feels anticlimactic, because it's building up to stuff you just finished watching. It's like watching the second season of a two-season show and then watching the first season. If you watch it in chronological order, you get 5 movies of buildup and no real payoff (plus you have to slog through the PT to get to the really good movies).

45236 puts the franchise's best foot forward, basically, and uses the PT (other than 1) to expand on Empire's reveal and build up to RotJ.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I actually kinda like the 45236 order, now that I'm giving it some thought.

In addition to preserving the Vader/Emperor reveals, the Luke/Leia reveal at the end of 3 is a better one than in 6 IMHO.

I showed the movies to my 6-year old in this order about a year ago and it went rather well. It also tends to avoid questions like "why is Obi-wan pretending not to know C3PO and R2D2?" which you get if you watch them in 123456 order.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Justin Godscock posted:

Not TPM, but there was a strong rumor that N*Sync had a cameo appearance in Attack of the Clones before Lucas himself shot down that rumor.

IIRC this one started because one the Star Wars comics between Phantom/Attack of the Clones had an actual N*Sync cameo where the members' likenesses were used as part of a crowd shot.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

But 1, 2 and 3 are a prequel trilogy which are explicitly meant to be viewed with prior knowledge of the series? Seems a hell of alot of effort to micromanage 'reveals' whilst ignoring the actual substance of the films and when/why they were released.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

A Steampunk Gent posted:

But 1, 2 and 3 are a prequel trilogy which are explicitly meant to be viewed with prior knowledge of the series? Seems a hell of alot of effort to micromanage 'reveals' whilst ignoring the actual substance of the films and when/why they were released.

Except the prequels are mostly hot garbage and bad acting.

The only reason to give them any due is that they exist in the first place.

And having prior knowledge makes them worse because the movies do nothing to really elevate the stakes for its characters that actually survive to the original movies. Having the prior knowledge lets you in on some fan-service jokes and not much else.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Except the prequels are mostly hot garbage and bad acting.

The only reason to give them any due is that they exist in the first place.

And having prior knowledge makes them worse because the movies do nothing to really elevate the stakes for its characters that actually survive to the original movies. Having the prior knowledge lets you in on some fan-service jokes and not much else.

That's a good reason not to watch them at all, I just don't get why you'd sit down and watch five hours of films you hate and refuse to engage at all with what they're presenting (i.e. a farce about the rise of fascism where the role of mentor to the protagonist and all-round good egg is played by campy Space-Hitler).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just because I think the PT is hot garbage doesn't mean I don't engage with what they're trying to get across.

It stems more from Episode I being completely useless in the trilogy. It adds nothing to the later movies except the virgin birth background and everything else is covered again in Episode II.

So you're left with two prequel movies that really just detail the direct rise of the Empire and the fall of Anakin Skywalker. But they suck as an introduction to the universe and as standalone stories. Episode 4 does the former much better and you need the OT to fill in the gaps to make 2 and 3 complete.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Episode I is about Palpatine manipulating the Senate to further his goals, he's just not as overt with it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

...except you are watching them with prior knowledge in the 45236 order. The only OT movie you wouldn't be watching before the PT is Return of the Jedi, and it just acts as a natural wrap-up to the series.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Thwomp posted:

Just because I think the PT is hot garbage doesn't mean I don't engage with what they're trying to get across.

It stems more from Episode I being completely useless in the trilogy. It adds nothing to the later movies except the virgin birth background and everything else is covered again in Episode II.

Episode 2 only tells you (half of) the things Episode 1 actually shows.

I guess it can be considered 'useless' if we view movies as merely recitations of facts and histories.

It also contradicts many things the other films assert. Some people find this problematic.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So even though Episode I is terrible and everything in it that ever becomes important or is brought up again is immediately restated in Episode II, it should still be watched for the COMPLETE EXPERIENCE®

e: seriously though, it's useless because it's a bad movie. The fact that the other prequels retell everything important about it is just icing on the cake, the main reason not to watch it is because it's a pile of poo poo.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Episode I is about Palpatine manipulating the Senate to further his goals, he's just not as overt with it.

Except it doesn't matter how he got into the Chancellor's office. Yes, he manipulates galactic actors to put himself into a position to be voted in but that event doesn't lead into anything in Episode II other than him being in office.

I'd argue that II has all the important "making of space-hitler" moments. Systems are already talking about breaking away from the republic at the start of II. He's still shown to be manipulating everyone because its his apprentice whose stoking those resentments and allows him to be given emergency powers and an army.

sassassin posted:

Episode 2 only tells you (half of) the things Episode 1 actually shows.

I guess it can be considered 'useless' if we view movies as merely recitations of facts and histories.

It also contradicts many things the other films assert. Some people find this problematic.
Things Episode II establishes again that you no longer need Episode I for:
Anakin's slave origins - re-told in II.
Anakin's connection with his mother - explicitly focused on in II.
Anakin's piloting skills - Shown during Coruscant chase.
Anakin and Padme's prior relationship - only exists in the barest of forms in I, re-established at the start of II.

Things Episode I brings on its own that are totally unnecessary:
The Pod Race
Qui-Gon Jinn
Darth Maul
Anakin's great piloting skills when Obi-wan first knew him
Nearly all of Jar Jar's scenes.
All of the gungan scenes in general.
Midichlorians

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
How about just don't watch the prequels. It honestly saves a lot of time and frustration.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Uh the pod race was necessary for the genesis of an awesome video game.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Jehde posted:

Uh the pod race was necessary for the genesis of an awesome video game.

Only the one in the arcade.

The N64 one was inferior due to lack of life-sized handles.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Except it doesn't matter how he got into the Chancellor's office. Yes, he manipulates galactic actors to put himself into a position to be voted in but that event doesn't lead into anything in Episode II other than him being in office.

I'd argue that II has all the important "making of space-hitler" moments. Systems are already talking about breaking away from the republic at the start of II. He's still shown to be manipulating everyone because its his apprentice whose stoking those resentments and allows him to be given emergency powers and an army.

Things Episode II establishes again that you no longer need Episode I for:
Anakin's slave origins - re-told in II.
Anakin's connection with his mother - explicitly focused on in II.
Anakin's piloting skills - Shown during Coruscant chase.
Anakin and Padme's prior relationship - only exists in the barest of forms in I, re-established at the start of II.

Things Episode I brings on its own that are totally unnecessary:
The Pod Race
Qui-Gon Jinn
Darth Maul
Anakin's great piloting skills when Obi-wan first knew him
Nearly all of Jar Jar's scenes.
All of the gungan scenes in general.
Midichlorians

What about the Final Fantasy cutscene at the end where Portman hands Brian Blessed a plasma lamp from the 80s and he yells peace really loud and the crowd loves it that was vital

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

If you're watching the movies with someone who hasn't seen them yet, why not let them make up their own mind about Episode One? I'm a fan of the 451236 order. Four is the best introduction to the world of the movies, and Six is the climax of the entire story.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

45236 and time permitting 1.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

4, 5, Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure, 6

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DancinBrud posted:

If you're watching the movies with someone who hasn't seen them yet, why not let them make up their own mind about Episode One?

The same reason, ultimately, why they poo-poo the 123456 path:

If you give them the opportunity to make up their own mind on Star Wars, there's a chance that they will develop their own opinions on the Star Wars movies, which might even be different than your own.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

The same reason, ultimately, why they poo-poo the 123456 path:

If you give them the opportunity to make up their own mind on Star Wars, there's a chance that they will develop their own opinions on the Star Wars movies, which might even be different than your own.

Ugh. That's just the worst. If you haven't spent a sixth of your life defining and defending the films, then you don't get to 'claim' an opinion on them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thwomp posted:

I see this sentiment a lot in the Game of Thrones threads, the idea that anything that doesn't service the overarching plot is useless fluff. It's a dangerous idea because the endgame is just reading Wikipedia summaries instead of actually watching movies.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

I see this sentiment a lot in the Game of Thrones threads, the idea that anything that doesn't service the overarching plot is useless fluff. It's a dangerous idea because the endgame is just reading Wikipedia summaries instead of actually watching movies.

If Episode I was entertaining and not a dumpster fire of half-thought out ideas and characters, then I wouldn't recommend skipping it.

However, it is and should only be considered an footnote to the overall story.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'd watch Episode I because it's the one movie out of all the new ones that actually seems like they're trying. There's actually a bit of stake to the existence of Qui Gon if you just go in with a cursory knowledge of the old ones (familiar with names, Darth Vader being Luke's dad, etc) because for all anyone knows he could be an important character from the movies that they just forgot about or something. Like, for example, if you were to list off ten OT characters you probably wouldn't put Tarkin because despite being a cool character played by a great actor he kind of gets lost in the series by Episode VI (being dead and all). It's not too much of a stretch that someone who hasn't seen these movies would "remember" Qui Gon (probably just because he's played by a famous dude) then be a bit surprised when he dies.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

echronorian posted:

Ugh. That's just the worst. If you haven't spent a sixth of your life defining and defending the films, then you don't get to 'claim' an opinion on them.

I've heard people say this (or the general point) unironically/honestly. Not sure if you're being sincere, but I hope you aren't.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
4, 5, 6.

You don't recommend someone watch Godfather part 3 do you?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hhhat posted:

4, 5, 6.

You don't recommend someone watch Godfather part 3 do you?

So why are you including 6 in there?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

computer parts posted:

So why are you including 6 in there?

In my analogy the Prequels are Godfather 3. Or Major League 2. Or the final season of the Sopranos. Jedi is a solid bronze medal.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

hhhat posted:

Or the final season of the Sopranos.

Wanna hear the reasoning for this bad opinion

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Episode 1 is essential because it shows everything going absolutely perfectly for the Republic and the Jedi. It's the status quo that the rebels in the original trilogy wanted to restore and enforce - and there is no convenient excuse for how awful it is. Besides a mild concern over Darth Sidious chilling somewhere, the good guys are all pleased as punch with the way things are.

Episode 1 is the 'end of history', where things are as good as they're ever going to get, and only politics is a politics of administration. New races are assimilated into the Republic, and trade disputes are ended with humanitarian peacekeeping operations, but that's as far as it goes. Tattooine serves as this weird interzone that doesn't assimilate - but no-one talks about that. That's why it is the perfect sequel to Return Of The Jedi (where the Republic is restored, new races are assimilated, and Tattoine serves as this weird interzone that doesn't assimilate - but no-one talks about that...).

The recommended 45236 viewing order is therefore an obvious ideological trick. The reality of the Republic is erased, and the events of Return Of The Jedi are made a direct sequel-response to Revenge Of The Sith - rather than its cause. The message is 'thank goodness all that bad stuff is over!', and the fact that the hexalogy is cyclical is duplicitously obfuscated.

It's all the prequel-cake without having to eat it, in other words. It's the same old tactic of 'fixing' the prequels by making the liberals look cool and smart.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 18, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Watch all of them. It's okay. If someone is interested in Star Wars, they don't need to be "protected" from accidentally seeing the bad parts. Just stay away from the Christmas Special.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
IMO, which order to watch the movies in depends entirely on what you want to get out of watching them. Enjoyment: 456. "Narrative": 45236. Understanding the depths of bitter cynicism to which the prequels descended from the happy idealism of the OT: 456123. Missing the point: 123456.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hhhat posted:

In my analogy the Prequels are Godfather 3. Or Major League 2. Or the final season of the Sopranos. Jedi is a solid bronze medal.

Jedi is really boring for all of the parts on Endor or Tattooine (so, the majority of the film).

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jedi was awesome for Tattooine, I mean before they came back and hosed it all up of course.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
Both the Tatooine and Endor sequences in Jedi are really fun parts of the movie that some people mistake as boring because of the extraordinary throne room scene. Frankly I can't blame people who make this mistake, Luke throwing down his lightsaber is so stunning it would make any previous scenes seem weaker.

EkardNT fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 18, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Watch all of them. It's okay. If someone is interested in Star Wars, they don't need to be "protected" from accidentally seeing the bad parts. Just stay away from the Christmas Special.

How can you skip the first canonical appearance of Boba Fett? :D

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I remember the bizarre predictions and 'leaks' that never came true for the Prequels. I think they called Kenneth Brannagh to be in them for each film, each time. Nobody knew anything until that actual script leak. I have doubts that they'll be so cavalier with the materials this go-round considering. The news is going to trickle in verrrrry slowly. We still have a year or so before a teaser.

I feel bad for Harrison :( hope he recovers quickly!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bongo Bill posted:

Just stay away from the Christmas Special.

I watched the Rifftrax version of the Christmas Special with three baked friends, and watching their reaction to it is easily one of my favorite nights.

"Why does Lumpy have so many goddamn teeth? LOOK HOW MANY loving TEETH HE HAS IN HIS HEAD."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I watched the Rifftrax version of the Christmas Special with three baked friends, and watching their reaction to it is easily one of my favorite nights.

"Why does Lumpy have so many goddamn teeth? LOOK HOW MANY loving TEETH HE HAS IN HIS HEAD."

That beats the hell out of having it kick you in the teeth when you're ten years old.

• Locked thread