Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lord Lambeth posted:

Telltale makes great games but their tech is a little lacking.

You mean Walking Dead wasn't supposed to erase your game every time a new episode came out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I don't like Syndicate's heavy class enemies. Usually you can hack a foe to stun them, attack their allies, or kill themselves but higher level enemies have an energy shield that you have to constantly hack to deactivate. Then you have a small window before the shield recharges to deal enough damage to keep their shields down so you can finally hack them to death. This would all be fine if you weren't confined to small arenas where you're just running laps around the place taking potshots at the enemy who's stalking you like Jason Voorhees.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Action Tortoise posted:

I don't like Syndicate's heavy class enemies. Usually you can hack a foe to stun them, attack their allies, or kill themselves but higher level enemies have an energy shield that you have to constantly hack to deactivate. Then you have a small window before the shield recharges to deal enough damage to keep their shields down so you can finally hack them to death. This would all be fine if you weren't confined to small arenas where you're just running laps around the place taking potshots at the enemy who's stalking you like Jason Voorhees.
I don't like Syndicate's lighting model, holy crap is everything blindingly blurry. It put me off playing after the second level. The edges of the screen being bloomed-out beyond all use was extremely annoying.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is a very minor nitpick and I wouldn't say its dragging the game down for me but, the x-rays in Mortal Kombat sometimes seem more brutal and violent than fatalities.

I just had someone violently snap my trachea and vertebra, how am I not dead? :stare:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Alteisen posted:

This is a very minor nitpick and I wouldn't say its dragging the game down for me but, the x-rays in Mortal Kombat sometimes seem more brutal and violent than fatalities.

I just had someone violently snap my trachea and vertebra, how am I not dead? :stare:

True. I would love to be able to turn those off.

ScreamingNinja
Oct 2, 2004
An Awesome Dude

Alteisen posted:

I like the characters getting stabbed through both legs then getting up and being perfectly fine again. Or Baraka shoving two giant blades through your brain via your eyeballs then getting up and continuing the brawl... but it's mortal Kom bat. The games have always been ridiculous.

ScreamingNinja
Oct 2, 2004
An Awesome Dude

Alteisen posted:

I like the characters getting stabbed through both legs then getting up and being perfectly fine again. Or Baraka shoving two giant blades through your brain via your eyeballs then getting up and continuing the brawl... but it's mortal Kom bat. The games have always been ridiculous.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
People have probably already bitched about this but jesus christ the final fight with Bane at Blackwater.

Having to fight off like 10 guys while the camera spins around wildly trying to track Bane running around doing his best train impression would be bad enough if him hitting you didn't take out 1/4 of your health. (That also doesn't even refill fully when you die and retry.) Its the fact you have to use the Arkham series's completely unreliable dodge mechanic to actually avoid it and the fact that if Batman dodges only just out of the way, Bane does what no other stupid charging boss gimmick ever does and actually homes in on you to hit you. :argh:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of boss fights, I really disliked the Iraq boss fight at the end of Act 3 of Watch Dogs. Mostly because guys kind of spawn in at random and if you die you're for some reason sent back to the start of the encounter where you're stuck listening to Iraq go on and on for a couple of minutes.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

Alteisen posted:

It's not so much the brutality of these that get to me, but rather the length of the animation. To have to sit through the entire thing every time (2 or 3 times per fight)gets super tedious, especially since any shock value quickly wears off after the first few times you see it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Some dumb idiot posted:

People have probably already bitched about this but jesus christ the final fight with Bane at Blackwater.

Having to fight off like 10 guys while the camera spins around wildly trying to track Bane running around doing his best train impression would be bad enough if him hitting you didn't take out 1/4 of your health. (That also doesn't even refill fully when you die and retry.) Its the fact you have to use the Arkham series's completely unreliable dodge mechanic to actually avoid it and the fact that if Batman dodges only just out of the way, Bane does what no other stupid charging boss gimmick ever does and actually homes in on you to hit you. :argh:

Origins managed to take all the worst boss fights from previous Arkham games and somehow make them worse.

Lamprotornis
Jun 28, 2004

My happy place~

ScreamingNinja posted:

Yeah, I always mentally justify this sort of thing by assuming their universe works like some sort of DBZ-style mechanic, where no matter how badly someone's injured, they mysteriously cannot die unless they're fatigued. Then the most basic, unimpressive thing can kill them.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Moacher posted:

It's not so much the brutality of these that get to me, but rather the length of the animation. To have to sit through the entire thing every time (2 or 3 times per fight)gets super tedious, especially since any shock value quickly wears off after the first few times you see it.

No you don't. Most players with a clue just juggle the crap out of you with ex move combos that also take forever and are used more often than X-Rays.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of boss fights, I really disliked the Iraq boss fight at the end of Act 3 of Watch Dogs. Mostly because guys kind of spawn in at random and if you die you're for some reason sent back to the start of the encounter where you're stuck listening to Iraq go on and on for a couple of minutes.

How about the fact that he's the only bullet sponge enemy in the game? It took me 4-8 or something grenade launcher rounds to kill him and he's not even wearing armor. It's so jarring in a game where literally every other enemy has a tight bullet to death ratio.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I actually didn't have any problem killing Iraq himself. I was actually kind of surprised when it happened since he just pops up out of nowhere. I hit him a bunch of times in the face with the ACR. His armor buddy was the annoying one. I got him by just trying to keep cover between me and him and throwing grenades.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alteisen posted:

Every Mortal Kombat game has had stuff like this though. Scorpion regularly throws a harpoon through his opponent's chests mid-fight, Sub-Zero freezes people solid, Rain causes people to be struck by lightning, Stryker shoots people with his gun, Nightwolf hits people with an axe. Mortal Kombat is just not very realistic.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I have chunks of his dialogue semi-memorized now because of this. :negative:

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Lamprotornis posted:

Yeah, I always mentally justify this sort of thing by assuming their universe works like some sort of DBZ-style mechanic, where no matter how badly someone's injured, they mysteriously cannot die unless they're fatigued. Then the most basic, unimpressive thing can kill them.

Adrenaline is a hell of an anesthetic.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Xoidanor posted:

How about the fact that he's the only bullet sponge enemy in the game? It took me 4-8 or something grenade launcher rounds to kill him and he's not even wearing armor. It's so jarring in a game where literally every other enemy has a tight bullet to death ratio.

I put a single bullet in Iraq's face and he died.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

I put a single bullet in Iraq's face and he died.

That just makes it even dumber. :psyduck:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Valve appear to have taken the George Lucas route and have removed the D3D renderer from the original Half-Life. Now you can only play the game in OpenGL, in a 640x480 window, or in software rendering where the game is in 16 bit colour and the graphics are as bad as System Shock.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Hey Super Mario 3D World, if I need the bell to reach a star or stamp, do me a common courtesy and have a loving bell on the level so I don't have to farm 1-1 for bells all the time. Thanks!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Talking about Watch Dogs reminded me of one of those terrible things that seems to be creeping into more and more games, the "Heavy Armor" enemy type. Basically any game that has semi realistic combat where a headshot takes a guy down instantly ends up introducing a guy who is nothing but a bullet sink.

You end up wondering why you don't just take that guy's armor since it seems to make him nearly invincible.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Talking about Watch Dogs reminded me of one of those terrible things that seems to be creeping into more and more games, the "Heavy Armor" enemy type. Basically any game that has semi realistic combat where a headshot takes a guy down instantly ends up introducing a guy who is nothing but a bullet sink.

You end up wondering why you don't just take that guy's armor since it seems to make him nearly invincible.

It's been a thing in games forever. They can work sometimes, but they need to have a way to circumvent the armor, so they are a challenge, rather than a slog. Headshots, or shots to the back, or assassination moves, or something. Even when done poorly, it is still better than enemies that are massive bullet sponges for no reason.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Far Cry 3 did heavy enemies well, since they could still be headshot, blown up, or set on fire, but posed a significant threat.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

What? Those guys died from an exploding fuse box and a goddamned baton, as well as IED's make short work off all of them that aren't the Iraq enforcer. That's some pussy-rear end armor. Also I think 90% of heavies can have coms disrupted, giving you time to throw explosives at them.

The worst are the guys with no obvious weaknesses to exploit other than sheer power (Batman games) or running through hoops to kill them via environmental kills only.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Uncharted games are pretty bad about this. I don't care what kind of armor you're wearing, an rpg or grenade round to the face will melt you. Excpet in Uncharted, where it only knocks off your football pads, leaving you free to walk around and keep shooting. You'd think you'd at least be a little dazed or woozy.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
In the vein of Bethesda games and their lovely maps, Skyrim is a horrible offender. The way the overworld map is done is a really cool idea in theory, but in practice, it's virtually impossible to see roads or paths on it, and so I'll often end up just running straight into a cliff that I actually need to take a really circuitous path around. Not only that, but also the fact that to see certain parts of the world on the map (looking at you, Markarth), you have to adjust the camera so that up is no longer due North.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

EXAKT Science posted:

In the vein of Bethesda games and their lovely maps, Skyrim is a horrible offender. The way the overworld map is done is a really cool idea in theory, but in practice, it's virtually impossible to see roads or paths on it, and so I'll often end up just running straight into a cliff that I actually need to take a really circuitous path around. Not only that, but also the fact that to see certain parts of the world on the map (looking at you, Markarth), you have to adjust the camera so that up is no longer due North.

If you're playing on PC, I have good news for you. If not, well, never mind. Either way, ya, Skyrim's default map is pretty much useless.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
The one thing that really stood out to me, especially in Fallout 3, was that Bethesda has no idea how to design dungeons in a way that works with their terrible local maps. It was most apparent in the Vaults, where the staircases that wouldn't lead to a new world space would often loop back around and you'd have to figure out whether the markings on the map referred to the floor you were on or the one directly above you, because there was no real differentiation between the two. Compare this to New Vegas where the vaults fill a lot more horizontal space and it's painfully apparent that literally anyone except Bethesda can work with their engine better than they can. :v:

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Recently finished Dark Souls II and Bioshock Infinite.

There were only a couple of things I disliked about DaS Dos, chief amongst them was the Old Dragonslayer boss fight, which I thought was really lazy. Actually, most of the bosses in the game were pretty loving unmemorable. The only fun fights in my opinion were The Rotten and the Undead Chariot. I had to look through wiki just now to remember the boss fights which should give some idea of how lame they were. I've heard NG+ is fun though so maybe I'll keep playing, but I doubt that I'll give it the same attention is gave to DaS.

Was anyone else annoyed at the ending of Bioshock Infinite? I liked LOST (PYF Terrible Things You Love) and still thought BI's ending sucked. It reminded me of a sappy, unfunny, illogical, and uninteresting Rick and Morty episode. Also, the only two guns I used the whole time were the carbine and the machine gun, and the only two Vigors I used were Murder of Crows and Shock Jockey; I thought most the other equipment was pretty boring. The game itself, art direction, and the plot up until like three hours before the ending was all very solid though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

EXAKT Science posted:

This is bad, but I think the worst is whoever had the bright idea to put cloud cover on the map. It's not the "fog of war" thing or anything, it's just randomly shifting clouds that make it look more like an outdoor scene rather than a map. Half the time I can't see what I'm looking for because it's covered in clouds.

I've also been dabbling in Oblivion again a little bit and that map is also loving terrible just because you can't ever see most of it. So good luck find your quest markers if you don't have at least a vague idea of where they are already!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Recently finished Dark Souls II and Bioshock Infinite.

There were only a couple of things I disliked about DaS Dos, chief amongst them was the Old Dragonslayer boss fight, which I thought was really lazy. Actually, most of the bosses in the game were pretty loving unmemorable. The only fun fights in my opinion were The Rotten and the Undead Chariot. I had to look through wiki just now to remember the boss fights which should give some idea of how lame they were. I've heard NG+ is fun though so maybe I'll keep playing, but I doubt that I'll give it the same attention is gave to DaS.

Lazy? It's an intentional callback to the previous game while hinting at the setting for the second game. It's also a great fight and you're crazy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Heavy Lobster posted:

it's painfully apparent that literally anyone except Bethesda can work with their engine better than they can. :v:

Best example is Divinity 2: DKS.

That game looks amazing and plays really well to the point you can't really tell it's Gamebryo. Heck the NPC animations alone are miles better than anything Bethesda's done.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

scarycave posted:

Yeah, that too. The vaults were really some of the best places in the games - except for the first two.
Those loving Raiders at the vault with the squatters. :argh:

I really like the whole Vault Tech aspect of the Fallout lore and its kind of a shame that its usually pushed to the side for some political grey vs grey vs Cesar/Enclave thing. I honestly could really care less for the whole power struggle thing between factions I'd rather just explore super hosed up places.

This was actually literally one of my least favorite parts of both games, granted I thought the entirety of Fallout 3 was a joke and it's easily one of the worst modern RPGs I played, but even New Vegas managed to repeat some of its mistakes despite having a significantly more competent team.
It's not really the idea of the Vaults, though as far as the lore goes I think they're really gimmicky and silly and stupid (though in effect they can probably make for some conceptually great dungeons), but it's the way they work, the endless tight corridors, the crappy leveled floors and annoying enemies in close quarters. Just looking in boxes over and over in too dark environs. The dungeons themselves suck rear end even if the lore is interesting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I liked Syndicate 2012 when I was still a part of the megacorporation running around delivering justice on the other lesser corps and innocent bystanders. Then they were like "nope. can't have you be a jackbooted thug forever" and you of course turn on your megacorp.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Len posted:

I liked Syndicate 2012 when I was still a part of the megacorporation running around delivering justice on the other lesser corps and innocent bystanders. Then they were like "nope. can't have you be a jackbooted thug forever" and you of course turn on your megacorp.

You are why video games are poo poo and will stay poo poo forever

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alouicious posted:

You are why video games are poo poo and will stay poo poo forever

I dunno, I haven't played Syndicate 2012, but I know I'm getting loving tired of video games throwing a betrayal into the second half or third act. For a while it felt like that was literally the only way video games knew how to change things up or raise the stakes. It was so bad that I specifically remember liking that Deus Ex Human Revolution didn't do that, despite being right in the middle of the trend and having ample opportunity to do so.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I dunno, I haven't played Syndicate 2012, but I know I'm getting loving tired of video games throwing a betrayal into the second half or third act. For a while it felt like that was literally the only way video games knew how to change things up or raise the stakes. It was so bad that I specifically remember liking that Deus Ex Human Revolution didn't do that, despite being right in the middle of the trend and having ample opportunity to do so.

Eurocorp doesn't betray you, you betray Eurocorp.

Because they're an awful, reprehensible corporation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alouicious posted:

Eurocorp doesn't betray you, you betray Eurocorp.

Because they're an awful, reprehensible corporation.

Um...isn't that the point? In the original Syndicate you played the thugs trying to make Eurocorp The Megacorp. Did you expect that to change for the FPS sequel?

I have Shadowrun Returns for fighting the megacorps. I thought Syndicate would let me be the megacorps thugs. Apparently not.