Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alouicious posted:

Eurocorp doesn't betray you, you betray Eurocorp.

Because they're an awful, reprehensible corporation.

That's still the exact same twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Cleretic posted:

It was so bad that I specifically remember liking that Deus Ex Human Revolution didn't do that, despite being right in the middle of the trend and having ample opportunity to do so.

Between that and the fact that its predecessor was one of the games that started the trend, it was practically a plot twist that you continued working for your boss to the end of the game.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Len posted:

Um...isn't that the point? In the original Syndicate you played the thugs trying to make Eurocorp The Megacorp. Did you expect that to change for the FPS sequel?

I have Shadowrun Returns for fighting the megacorps. I thought Syndicate would let me be the megacorps thugs. Apparently not.

I'm sorry you can't grasp a simple cyberpunk story and instead cry when it says "hey maybe this is actually bad"

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I don't think his issue is with the fact that they're presenting EuroCorp as the bad guy, but rather that he was enjoying being the bad guy? It was pretty clear that EuroCorp was a bunch of assholes from the beginning, it didn't really need a hamfisted "ALSO THEY KILLED YOUR PARENTS" and betrayal plotline to hammer it home.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I don't think his issue is with the fact that they're presenting EuroCorp as the bad guy, but rather that he was enjoying being the bad guy? It was pretty clear that EuroCorp was a bunch of assholes from the beginning, it didn't really need a hamfisted "ALSO THEY KILLED YOUR PARENTS" and betrayal plotline to hammer it home.

Yeah pretty much this. I went into the cyberpunk story knowing that I was working for a megacorp. I'm also fully aware that megacorps are the worst. But I didn't buy the game expecting to end up playing as a rebelling agent toppling the megacorp because of some hamfisted revenge plot.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
This is a tremendous amount of irony in the idea that a 'punk genre story needs to conform to a specific set of story beats.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

1stGear posted:

This is a tremendous amount of irony in the idea that a 'punk genre story needs to conform to a specific set of story beats.

There's actually no irony here at all and if you understood anything about the genre you'd know that

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Alouicious posted:

You are why video games are poo poo and will stay poo poo forever

Alouicious posted:

I'm sorry you can't grasp a simple cyberpunk story and instead cry when it says "hey maybe this is actually bad"

Alouicious posted:

There's actually no irony here at all and if you understood anything about the genre you'd know that

Did you write the story for this game or something? God drat dude

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ArtIsResistance posted:

Did you write the story for this game or something? God drat dude

No see, I'm a bad person because I thought I was buying "Megacorporation Thug Simulator 2012" instead of "Generic Cyberpunk Plot 2012"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Len posted:

No see, I'm a bad person because I thought I was buying "Megacorporation Thug Simulator 2012" instead of "Generic Cyberpunk Plot 2012"

Yes actually you are, if you bought Syndicate thinking you were going to be a Eurocorp Agent the entire time, you are a lovely person, I completely unironically believe that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alouicious posted:

Yes actually you are, if you bought Syndicate thinking you were going to be a Eurocorp Agent the entire time, you are a lovely person, I completely unironically believe that.

Then I guess I'm a terrible lovely Hitler of a person.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I guess I just don't understand why you're freaking out so hard at the idea that someone might enjoy playing the bad guy in a video game. Do you go ballistic when people play Grand Theft Auto, too?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Of all the things I expect people to have a meltdown about, Syndicate 2012 is pretty far down on that list.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I guess I just don't understand why you're freaking out so hard at the idea that someone might enjoy playing the bad guy in a video game. Do you go ballistic when people play Grand Theft Auto, too?

There is a sharp moral difference between playing a common criminal and playing what is essentially the futuristic version of the paramilitary groups paid by Coca Cola to massacre South American workers seeking unionization.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Alouicious posted:

There is a sharp moral difference between playing a common criminal and playing what is essentially the futuristic version of the paramilitary groups paid by Coca Cola to massacre South American workers seeking unionization.

I once blew up an entire town of fake people in Fallout 3 because a rich white dude thought it was ruining his view, does this make me a bad person y/n?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The thing bringing Syndicate down is that my kid played it and now he's a corporate jackbooted thug. Think of the children!

War Thunder is also being brought down by most tanks being unable to get up to speed to do sweet ramps. Also a lack of sweet ramps.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Alouicious posted:

No

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Alouicious posted:

Dude, it's just a video game, it doesn't necessarily reflect on the person as a whole

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inco posted:

Dude, it's just a video game, it doesn't necessarily reflect on the person as a whole

Hey since he posted that I joined one of those paramilitary groups and am currently phone posting while beating someone to death with a baby (that was first beat to death by a cat)

Edit: Another thing dragging the game down is that I'm currently on my way to the top of the building to destroy the corp or some poo poo. And I'm currently in an arena with wave after wave of enemies. The game features respawning health and there's a box full of infinite bullets. I don't get why I have to slog through this.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Len posted:

Hey since he posted that I joined one of those paramilitary groups and am currently phone posting while beating someone to death with a baby (that was first beat to death by a cat)

Edit: Another thing dragging the game down is that I'm currently on my way to the top of the building to destroy the corp or some poo poo. And I'm currently in an arena with wave after wave of enemies. The game features respawning health and there's a box full of infinite bullets. I don't get why I have to slog through this.

That reminds me. I just had to strangle a dude in the grocery store. He was buying Pepsi, and I needed to send a message to everyone there.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Verr posted:

War Thunder is also being brought down by most tanks being unable to get up to speed to do sweet ramps. Also a lack of sweet ramps.

T-50 Kyiv Drifting :whatup:

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
Speaking of War Thunder: I love Realistic mode far more than Arcade - the flight and damage models are way more fun to me - but the problem is instead of starting in the air with multiple respawns like in Arcade, you start at your airfield and have to spend 5 minutes climbing to altitude (which if you play a plane that requires boom and zoom tactics, like most of the US's or Germany's planes, is strictly necessary) and traveling to where you'll probably run into the enemy. The worst part is that some Realistic event missions/matches DO give you an air start and they're so much fun to play! Let us play with airstarts Gaijin :argh:

also lol at that one dude gettin' super buttroasted, jesus christ dude, as an avowed dirty leftist, it's just a loving video game, the guy can enjoy playing the douchebags if he likes.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Alouicious posted:

Sometimes I play Red Orchestra as the Germans. Am I Hitler?

Semi related: is there a game out there that is a secret police simulator? That might actually be a little interesting.

Also, for a thing bringing a game down, the explaination for where the Nazis got their technology from in Wolfenstein: A New Order. I could have dealt with any number of explanations, after all, it's Wolfenstein. Aliens, time travel, demons, ancient protohumans... Hell, I could have dealt with some sort of advanced something or other handing incredible technology down to ancient Israelites millennia ago. Instead, apparently Da'at Yichud, a small enclave of Jewish craftsmen, has been researching and building things centuries ahead of contemporary technology for millenia. Inventions include skin tight powered armor and a base on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean, both of which are from the 18th century. They then proceeded to do absolutely nothing with this technology when the Nazis started winning the war with tech taken from one of their bases described as a backwater. By the end of this revelation, I almost dislike the member of the enclave that joins your group more than the Nazis.

There's my awe inspiringly spergy rant.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 10:12 on Jun 19, 2014

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Thing bringing every newish Wolfenstein game down for me: Why am I not killing Mecha-Hitler as the final boss?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Semi related: is there a game out there that is a secret police simulator? That might actually be a little interesting.

Not a simulator so much as it is a rather unintuitive adventure-puzzle game, but Floor 13 has you heading a secret police department for the British PM.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Dr Christmas posted:

Thing bringing every newish Wolfenstein game down for me: Why am I not killing Mecha-Hitler as the final boss?

Have you played A New Order? You do. Well, kinda. It's Strasse in the mecha-Hitler armor from Wolfenstein 3D. He even shouts "Die, allied schwienhund!" when he spots you! :3:

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 10:19 on Jun 19, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like the new Wolfenstein takes itself way too seriously for its own good. On one hand, it should be a fun pulpy adventure with space Nazis and robot dogs and evil brain monsters, on the other, the main character gruffly reminisces about the horrors of Auschwitz, watches Nazis snatch babies and throw them off bridges or whatever, and has to watch his friends being tortured to death. Stop this

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Because you already killed him in Wolfenstein 3D.
(Blazkowitz has killed a lot of Nazis by this time)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I agree completely about New Order. The gameplay is excellent but the plot definitely takes itself way too seriously.

The tonal dissonance between the cut scenes and gameplay is baffling.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Sometimes I play Red Orchestra as the Germans. Am I Hitler?

There's Papers, Please, in which you play a border checkpoint bureaucrat for an oppressive regime. It is weirdly addictive. Pretty fun game, I met the guy who made it at PAX last year. He's a nice guy.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Len posted:

I liked Syndicate 2012 when I was still a part of the megacorporation running around delivering justice on the other lesser corps and innocent bystanders. Then they were like "nope. can't have you be a jackbooted thug forever" and you of course turn on your megacorp.

Some RTS games have a similar plot thing they do: As the story progresses, a new enemy is introduced and former enemies have to join hands to defeat it. Like in C&C: Tiberian Sun: Firestorm and Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Stick Insect posted:

Some RTS games have a similar plot thing they do: As the story progresses, a new enemy is introduced and former enemies have to join hands to defeat it. Like in C&C: Tiberian Sun: Firestorm and Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance.

This happened in Heroes of Might and Magic V (and possibly others, but V was the only one I played to completion). Which was really to its detriment because of the structure of the story; every faction's story is in one big chunk, in order. So the game starts with the humans, then the demons, then the necromancers, the dark elves, the regular elves, and the mages. But, since the overall story has to be resolved by the end, the balance of gameplay skews... weirdly.

Because they're effectively the tutorial, the humans get a piss-easy campaign that doesn't really let them showcase their good points.
The demon, necromancer and dark elf stories are all relatively solid, with each faction getting a pretty good run in terms of difficulty and power.
But the story starts reaching its climax around the elven campaign, and the stories have to start converging. So the elves get the second half of their campaign stolen out from under them, and the mages barely get any time in their own spotlight because they're so late to the party.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah I agree completely about New Order. The gameplay is excellent but the plot definitely takes itself way too seriously.

The tonal dissonance between the cut scenes and gameplay is baffling.
I think it took itself exactly the right amount of serious. :colbert:

I think I'm on the loving moon. :dukedog:

Stick Insect posted:

And again in RA2, C&C3, and again in RA3. :v:

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I feel like the new Wolfenstein takes itself way too seriously for its own good. On one hand, it should be a fun pulpy adventure with space Nazis and robot dogs and evil brain monsters, on the other, the main character gruffly reminisces about the horrors of Auschwitz, watches Nazis snatch babies and throw them off bridges or whatever, and has to watch his friends being tortured to death. Stop this
I thought it took a perfect path between total seriousness and juvenile comedy all the way through. I kept getting reminded of Tarantino's movies due to how smoothly the both 'styles' blended together, and still the writing remained very entertaining from beginning to end. Also it takes place in the continuity where BJ has already killed Mecha Hitler and like, a shitload of zombies or whatever, I can't even remember what went on in RTCW anymore. Plus there was the magic poo poo in Wolf2009.

ANYWAYS, content:
Watch Dogs on PS4 let me play online today for the first time in a month. Ubisoft really took that long to unfuck their network issues that straight up didn't let some people into multiplayer at all. And the funny thing is, the problems started when they made an update which was supposed to fix already existing network problems!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think Syndicate 2012 would have been better if we could have played Merit instead.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lotish posted:

I think Syndicate 2012 would have been better if we could have played Merit instead.

Merit was basically who I expected to be playing as. Instead I got Kilo the blank slate of a main character who just grew a conscious in chapter 17 of 20.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

smuh posted:

ANYWAYS, content:
Watch Dogs on PS4 let me play online today for the first time in a month. Ubisoft really took that long to unfuck their network issues that straight up didn't let some people into multiplayer at all. And the funny thing is, the problems started when they made an update which was supposed to fix already existing network problems!

I watched someone play Watch Dogs multiplayer recently and several times when they found a match it would just hang on a loading screen for probably 5-10+ minutes, then finally load in a few seconds before the match ended. Or it would just freeze to migrate hosts constantly. :psyduck:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The biggest thing holding down Watch_Dogs is uplay.

The invasions and etc all belong in the good version of this thread, because they are good.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

SpookyLizard posted:

The biggest thing holding down Watch_Dogs is uplay.

The invasions and etc all belong in the good version of this thread, because they are good.

Yeah the actual games themselves seemed pretty good, when you could manage to play them between the connections problems and the lag that makes cars/people teleport around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitpinecone
Sep 10, 2010

psychosis cat

Lotish posted:

From what I remember, nothing really changes when you have your whole moral reawakening, you just stop slaughtering rebels and other corporations and start ruthlessly slaughtering your own side instead.

Jackbooted thug forever