Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Calling Mario Chalmers a "hit" when it projected him to be the fourth best player in the draft (and better than Derrick Rose, among others) seems, uh, a little generous.

It seems like an algorithm designed to highlight undersized high-motor players.

And that's not a terrible thing, everyone can get carried away with measurements once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The B_36 posted:

Just to be clear, I was responding to the people who were comparing Embiid to Olajuwon, specifically to whoever said that Embiid was going to become the next Olajuwon if he could avoid injury, and also specifically, I was saying the comparison was ridiculous. Don't want people to think I was comparing Embiid at all favourably to Olajuwon.

Don't worry no one will ever accuse you of thinking Embiid might be good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Uhhh woops

quote:

Joel Embiid, considered the front-runner to be the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft, has suffered a right foot injury, his agent and his mentor both confirmed to ESPN.com on Thursday.

"He suffered a foot injury to his right foot, sometime over the last few days,'' agent Arn Tellem told ESPN's Andy Katz by phone Thursday. "He's getting evaluations from various doctors and experts in the field. We'll know more Friday.''

One source told ESPN.com that Embiid "may have broken" his foot, but Tellem wouldn't speculate on the seriousness of the injury until he had heard back from doctors.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Smokescreens within smokescreens...

This is going to result in the Lakers somehow ending up with Embiid

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
@WojYahooNBA: As Jeff Goodman reports, Joel Embiid suffered a foot injury. Cavs want to workout Dante Exum for No. 1 spot now too

Cavs are going to be the Cavs and bust with Exum.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Yeah, that kind of stinks of being a smokescreen. Seriously, news like this should never be trusted this time of year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacebump posted:

Cavs want to workout Dante Exum for No. 1 spot now too

oh no

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I guess you could go with the dual ball-handler route if you want to be able to shrug off some of the more elite trapping defenses out there. And Kyrie has the shooting to play off-the-ball and Exum has the size to guard twos.

I mean obviously Embiid is out of the picture now. And Wiggins is maybe more raw than they'd like to wait on. And you can't draft Parker because LeBron is obviously coming over. So yeah, I support this move!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
In a draft with clear top 3 of course the Cavs will take the number 4 guy. You don't become the Cavs by accident. It takes work. You have to commit to being completely awful.

In hindsight it's sort of amazing they drafted LeBron. If he'd been born in Indiana they'd have probably taken Darko.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Son of a bitch.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Holy poo poo.

So how far will Embiid fall?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

the culminator posted:

Holy poo poo.

I heard he sits like an old man so probably pretty far

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

the culminator posted:

Holy poo poo.

Not very.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Not good news for Sixers fans I assume since they would want him to go 1 or 2.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hand Row posted:

Sixers will take Embiid and keep both him and Noel cryogenically frozen so that they can tank for one more season

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Hand Row posted:

Yup. This is pretty terrible. Only thing we can hope now is that Cleveland is willing to trade the pick and then choose between whose left of Parker/Exum at 3. Or maybe they still like Embiid enough that they'll trade the pick and get him at 3 anyway.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cleveland desperately trying to send out the smokescreen they fumbled the first time. I like how "sometime" he hurt it in a non-public workout. If nobody saw it why would his agent call ESPN to tell them? How is that good for his client? Especially before he knows if it is broken or not? I fully expect this trade with Philly to happen. Watch Milwaukee take Embiid and Cleveland still Clevelanding.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Ty1990 posted:

Yup. This is pretty terrible. Only thing we can hope now is that Cleveland is willing to trade the pick and then choose between whose left of Parker/Exum at 3. Or maybe they still like Embiid enough that they'll trade the pick and get him at 3 anyway.

Don't underestimate the opportunity for Cleveland to screw this up.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My client, whose interest I look out for, "may" have injured his foot "sometime" over the last few days "may" be broken. I'm telling you this before I even know the nature of the injury because it is in my client's best interest to have full disclosure on everything. Is this thing on? He has a vague injury so totally don't draft him, Milwaukee. You don't want an injury prone big man do you? Of course you don't!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

WhyteRyce posted:

Sixers will take Embiid and keep both him and Noel cryogenically frozen so that they can tank for one more season

Hitting the floor for Okafor!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
At this point I expect the Cavs to have "decapitated" Embiid by next Tuesday.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Draft Express has already updated their mock draft. Wiggins first, Exum third, Embiid fourth. Hello Orlando, may I interest you in a Rajon Rondo?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I know the Sixers supposedly want to trade up but who or what are they going to get rid of? Thad and the third + some second round picks? MCW? There's not a lot of potential trades.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

welp, if it is true bring on team canada, cavs!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I wonder how long it will be until the Sixers have 10 NBA worthy players on their roster. 20017? 2018?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So....is this draft deep enough for the Raptors to get a useful player?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So....is this draft deep enough for the Raptors to get a useful player?

yes

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WEREWAIF posted:

I wonder how long it will be until the Sixers have 10 NBA worthy players on their roster. 20017?

Surely they'd luck into it within the next 18000 years.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Am I missing something? If you think Embiid is the best in the draft why do you give a poo poo if his foot is broken?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My smokescreen conspiracy may be wrong.

@WojYahooNBA: Cleveland doctors discovered right foot injury in exams and passed info onto Embiid reps, sources tell Yahoo. Fear is a right foot fracture.

@WojYahooNBA: Embiid's consulting w/ orthopedist Dr. Richard Ferkel in L.A.; determination on fracture and possible surgery expected soon, sources tell Y.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I ask because mocks have Toronto drafting Ty Ennis and I'm sure he's decent but the Raps have Lowry and Vazquez is quite capable. I'd prefer a SF and other than the guys in the lottery I don't recognize any of the SF listed in mocks. Any SF sleepers?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

morestuff posted:

Am I missing something? If you think Embiid is the best in the draft why do you give a poo poo if his foot is broken?

It doesn't matter how good you are at basketball if you're unable to play due to an injury.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

morestuff posted:

You fear it will be recurring and/or impede his development

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

morestuff posted:

Watch Kevin McHale walk

Not that that's inevitable or immediate or anything but foot injuries are bad. Yao :(

chunkles fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 19, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I ask because mocks have Toronto drafting Ty Ennis and I'm sure he's decent but the Raps have Lowry and Vazquez is quite capable. I'd prefer a SF and other than the guys in the lottery I don't recognize any of the SF listed in mocks. Any SF sleepers?

PJ Hariston is a 2 but same deal. He's good. James Young could be there. And then I guess it depends on how you feel about Jerami Grant and KJ McDaniels. I don't like either. Unless the Spurs draft one of them and then they will probably be awesome.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 19, 2014

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

morestuff posted:

Am I missing something? If you think Sam Bowie is the best in the draft why do you give a poo poo if his foot is broken?

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

The Sixers went from having the easiest choice in the draft to being in a potentially rough spot. Instead of just taking whoever is left of the top three, they're going to have to pick between a guy who may be turn out to be too injury prone to reach his full potential or the mysterious hyper athletic foreigner who may or may not have other skills. Either way there's a good chance that it's going to work out fine, but I wouldn't want to be the Sixers GM if the guy they take busts and the other turns into a star.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Or they just pick the guy they're supposed to pick and not trust a bunch of bullshit on the internet

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'd be happy with Exum at 3. Over Parker.

I'd be happy with Embiid there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yo soy fiesta
Feb 6, 2005

Are you fucking shitting me, dude!?

If the Sixers draft Exum I'm gonna have a meltdown

• Locked thread