Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I have to imagine you wanted to find an excuse to post that article? But, just to be abundantly clear: I wasn't even remotely serious and I don't expect GetWellGamers to break an NDA, especially in the very place where one of the guys that'd be affected posts.

Look up in the sky! Its a bird! Its a plane! No, its THE JOKE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Agean90 posted:

Huh? Where?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Agean90 posted:

I just didn't think it was a particularly funny/clear joke :shrug:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
So I bought the game kinda... okay REALLY late on the draw. Does that mean I'm locked out of early access for beta? It's not a huge deal, but it would be kinda cool to playtest the game. I'm really liking Wasteland 2 so far and I'm craving more Obsidian RPG goodness.

Also, I got to say I really love the take on Wizards being described more as scientists than well... wizards. :v:

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 14, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
As far as I know there's an upgrade you can buy on the Obsidian store to get a beta key.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
When you bought it you would have had to select the beta key as an addon, you can't just purchase an add on by itself I don't think. You may have to contact customer support to get them to add it or something ?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

So I was reading about the Disposition system and it seems cool. However, I wonder how getting a Deceptive disposition will work since the whole point of deception is that nobody knows you're doing it.

The way I'd guess is that you get them when you tell a lie that someone believes but that they will realise was a lie later on.

For example, you want to get rid of a guard outside a building so you tell him the mayor just got assassinated and he needs to get over there right away. He believes you but you still get Deceptive points to your reputation because once he gets over there and finds out that the mayor is fine, he's going to go through all the taverns talking poo poo about how the player is a lying scumbag.

I could also see you getting them if you try a lie but fail the check since that also shows you're deceptive, just not very good at it.

UrbicaMortis fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 18, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I'm personally digging "The Disappointer".

It and me are very similar.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 18, 2014

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
So... the E3 press embargo expires today/tomorrow/now (Thursday), correct?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
a bit over 7 hours I think

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Five hours fifty-two minutes. Can't wait.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

pre-typed that poo poo out son?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

GetWellGamers posted:

Five hours fifty-two minutes. Can't wait.

Hope you pretyped everything already and will be hitting :justpost: one second after embargo lifts.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Disco Infiva posted:

Hope you pretyped everything already and will be hitting :justpost: one second after embargo lifts.

Sure doesn't seem like it unless my math is all wrong.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I bet all the previews are going to suck and I won't get anymore hyped for this game!!!!1

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013
Some Previews are out.
(Kotaku has a spoiler for the start of Pillars of Eternity, So only read it if you want to know it)

http://kotaku.com/pillars-of-eterni...uter-1592836049

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...-Isometric-RPGs

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/06/19/pillars-of-eternity-brings-back-classic-dungeon-crawling/

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/19/obsidians-pillars-of-eternity-looks-old-and-thats-good-news/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2365287/pillars-of-eternity-preview-spiritual-successor-to-rpg-classics-turns-promise-into-game.html

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The screenshots in PC Gamer's article are decent-sized, by the way, in case you're wondering how the game looks up close. The areas shown in the E3 demo already received a paint-over pass if I recall correctly, so those should be more or less indicative of how environments might look in the final game.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The screenshots in PC Gamer's article are decent-sized, by the way, in case you're wondering how the game looks up close. The areas shown in the E3 demo already received a paint-over pass if I recall correctly, so those should be more or less indicative of how environments might look in the final game.

Those are some pretty pictures. Plus, I liked getting a look at one of the 'text adventure' screens. And I especially liked how one of the options was poking the problem with a stick to see what happens.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

People are already attacking the text adventure thing, but personally I think it's great.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GreyPowerVan posted:

People are already attacking the text adventure thing, but personally I think it's great.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard- what, reaaading is too hard for some people? Everything about P:E practically screamed 'this poo poo be wordy, yo', how could people start complaining about that?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

GreyPowerVan posted:

Snap. Am curious how the fullscreen text-adventure window opens without breaking continuity though.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

GreyPowerVan posted:

If they don't like the text adventure thing they should have donated enough money to reach the full CG cutscene stretch goal at $20 million :v:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

If they include that then it strays dangerously close to being a Visual Novel and we all know about those things!

I'm happy they're including the text adventure bits. Allows them to cram in cool scenes and actions into the game despite the limitations of its format and engine.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Those text screens look awesome. The art is great and it feels like a cooler way to use skills than just having a dialog box open, which is honestly the other option.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

It's pretty funny that most of these people don't know what real time with pause is.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I can't wait to play this game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Are we due an update soon or do we eventually get to see the demo after the press has done with it?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Are we due an update soon or do we eventually get to see the demo after the press has done with it?

I don't think we get to see that demo since they've said that they want to show backers a more polished and less spoilery bit of gameplay. I think an update about fighters and barbarians should be coming relatively soon though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

We won't get a video until closer to beta, apparently, because the places Obsidian chose for the E3 demo have spoilers and the other areas aren't as polished yet/the game in general isn't as polished as they want it to be to show to backers.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah it appears to be the prologue.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard- what, reaaading is too hard for some people? Everything about P:E practically screamed 'this poo poo be wordy, yo', how could people start complaining about that?
Yeah, another reason why I feel alarmed with the possible bigger crowd-funding project-wider audience means including less patient people.

coffeetable posted:

Snap. Am curious how the fullscreen text-adventure window opens without breaking continuity though.
I've been wondering the same thing since the approach had been shown in one of the older updates although I'm basically happy with it.

Sensuki posted:

It's pretty funny that most of these people don't know what real time with pause is.
The author at Kotaku sounds more like our kind. His descriptions feel precise, too: He uses micro/macro for tactical/strategic and the phrasing feels suitable for wider audience, for example. Talking of phrasing, "Honest, Diplomatic, Passionate, and Rational" sounds less subjective and, IMO, better, btw.

As UM and FBM state, "We will not be showing a video of the demo. The footage has quite a few spoilers in it and it isn't ready to show to the backers yet. We want to show you guys something much more polished and we aim to do that sometime between now and our backer beta. Just so you guys are aware, it will likely be closer to the backer beta." In any case, personally, I'm looking forward to the upcoming update about the classes.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

The german and italian articles are waaaay better than any of the english ones.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Sensuki posted:

The german and italian articles are waaaay better than any of the english ones.

I especially liked the italian one, although google translating them did add a level of surreal beat poetry to the usual preview form.

Also, since they haven't been posted in this thread:

Italian: http://www.everyeye.it/pc/articoli/pillars-of-eternity_anteprima_22815

German: http://www.gamersglobal.de/preview/pillars-of-eternity

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The biography system the PC Gamer article talks about sounds great.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the tip... yeah, I agree ones written in the other languages are somehow better (although I needed to rely on Google). Found another one (http://multiplayer.it/articoli/133643-pillars-of-eternity-i-pilastri-del-gioco-di-ruolo.html).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Wow, multiplayer.it's layout has gotten a lot worse since the last time I've been there.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Rats, overslept.

I'll go spoiler-free for now, since the demo was literally the opening minutes of the game.

To start with, you get to pick your own backstory through some of the opening dialogues, and they cover most of the major adventurer tropes, though there's also always the option when asked to just say "None of your business" and you can just keep it to being whatever you want their backstory to be in your head without the game insisting otherwise.

Some of the text adventure scenes aren't even multiple choice, they're just there to illustrate what's going on. And something I don't see anyone else mentioning is that they're slightly animated, and with sound effects added in. It really enhances the feeling of it, even if it's just a still picture of a waterskin being raised out of a river.

The game just looks, feels, and moves in a way that we all think the infinity engine games did, until we actually go back and play them. All the seams, the tiling, the same animations firing without variation over and over... It's all gone. the game looks organic and vibrant and alive, just gorgeous in every second of gameplay.

Allies can join, leave, or die at just about any time. When I left there were three members in the party, but Ropekid explained how with a few simple differences in choices up to this point it could be one companion or the other gone or even both.

There's tons of dialogue choices. One situation I saw had no less than five different skillchecks that could have resolved the situation, and a handful of "Normal" dialogue choices besides, each with their own personality indicators and influence degrees. They kept skipping through large chunks of dialogue, but I was able to read big chunks with Ropekid would stop to talk, and it's all pretty solid stuff from what I was actually able to process.

It's all just looking really, really, really well done, but I think from now on I can't actually read anything about it. Painful as it may be, I think I'm going to start my embargo before I learn too much more.

I'll leave you with one spoilery warning: Soul Winds will gently caress you UP, son.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
What's your opinion on the animations GWG? Sadly, it seemed to be the sore point for many previews, while the rest of the visual presentation was almost unanimously praised. Also, how busy did the the interface look in combat, considering there are apparently two bars hovering over the characters?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Fuckin' a right. The backstory thing sounds so good. There will be much roleplaying in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Do you recall the race/class of the other companions? Calisca is a vailian name I think.

What color were the selection circles ?

• Locked thread