Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bisty Q. posted:

Double edit: the link is live. Google Music is winning by a landslide, as I think anyone would expect. Why "milk music" whatever that is was picked and Google Play wasn't is.... worrisome, like the guy below posts.

I'm glad Google Music is winning but I kind of hope Amazon gets in too, especially now that they have free Prime music.

Also,
http://www.businessinsider.com/john-legere-profanity-2014-6

quote:

Everyone expected some f-bombs from Legere, but the following quote is extreme. Speaking about AT&T and Verizon, the two largest carriers in the U.S. by a wide margin, Legere said:

"These high and mighty duopolists that are raping you for every penny you have...the f---ers hate you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Speaking that way got him a news story he might not have gotten otherwise, and when the statement is re-printed, people read something negative about ATT & Verizon. Clever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Why does it have to be all of them? If they cover the most popular ones then that works as a benefit for the majority of people.

Not stating from a consumer perspective, more from an open Internet perspective.

I have RDio right now, but if I was tmobile customer I would consider switching because of that. So basically it's the same slope that Netflix is fighting Verizon and the others over. Just because tmobile is being nicer over it doesn't mean it won't set a standard that other companies won't abuse.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm already in the hole with data overages on ATT due to streaming. Even if I swap and they don't support my music service, i'll still have unlimited with throttling (which is hell of a lot better than getting charged 10 bucks a gig) But I agree though, this is a net neutrality issue and i'm (selfishly) not seeing the bigger picture. Net neutrality as a concept should go both ways.

I guess i'll not break my contract.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

John said that we would like to get all services on not hitting your cap. I think they started with the top 6, and will add more as time moves on. I think from a technical standpoint it takes time to whitelist each service and T-Mobile has to talk to each company to do that. I think in a month you will have a bunch more added to be included not touching your data cap. You can vote to see which they will add next.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don't see not counting certain services against your datacap as same as throttling "bad" services or putting them in a slow lane or giving preferential performance treatment to certain types of traffic. If you want to use some other service, it would still perform the same as before this and it would just against the cap that would have already been there if they weren't offering this. T-Mobile is footing the bill for this, I don't think they are charging these services for it at all

As as mentioned above, they'd like to get all of them but that takes time and they have to start somewhere, so start with the most popular ones.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 19, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's definitely a tricky situation, though - even if they aren't spinning it as such, they're effectively incenting their users to utilize the services that don't count against their bandwidth quotas instead of the services that do.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's definitely a tricky situation, though - even if they aren't spinning it as such, they're effectively incenting their users to utilize the services that don't count against their bandwidth quotas instead of the services that do.

I can see it turning dangerous if Verizon does something similar with their own services and they use it as an excuse to never raise data caps or lower prices. But it's not like they ever need an excuse or reason not to do that, so I'm not really bothered by this.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 19, 2014

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Anyone on the $30 nerd plan check out your tethering / personal hotspot. I tried using mine on a whim today and it's working (iPhone 5). No separate tethering data allotment listed on my account, it appears to just be using the normal 5GB.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Oneiros posted:

Anyone on the $30 nerd plan check out your tethering / personal hotspot. I tried using mine on a whim today and it's working (iPhone 5). No separate tethering data allotment listed on my account, it appears to just be using the normal 5GB.

I just tried it on my Nexus 5 and it works where a few months ago it asked me to put a tethering plan on my account

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Oneiros posted:

Oh sweet Jesus. That's the only reason I was considering switching to cricket. If tethering is allowed off the same bucket I'll save my money and keep paying T-Mobile.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Oneiros posted:

On the most current Android you hit the paywall no matter what you do. The only way I've been able to get around is easytether plugged into USB. On current Android your phone tells the carrier it's tethering.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Oneiros posted:

Tried this about a week ago and it worked on my iphone 5S. So far I'm still 0/100MB on my Hotspot allocation. I guess it comes out of the 5Gb now.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is definitely bad for business for any company not on the list and can definitely suppress competition. As a selfish customer though, holy crap I am going to stream so much music and its going to be awesome (assuming they whitelist all access).

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

MycroftXXX posted:

This is definitely bad for business for any company not on the list and can definitely suppress competition. As a selfish customer though, holy crap I am going to stream so much music and its going to be awesome (assuming they whitelist all access).

Legere did say they'd like to extend it to all music services.

I'm not sure why they're holding a vote instead of just doing it if that's really the case, but that's what he said. Even assuming it requires providers to flag their packets somehow, you don't need customer input to get that ball rolling.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there a video of the whole thing?

the last s0n
Aug 12, 2013
I'm considering switching from Verizon to T-Mobile. I searched the forum and Google and couldn't find my answers. Two questions:

1. T-Mobile's plan buyout program requires that you present them with your final bill. I'm currently on a family plan and, while I would try to convince everyone else to switch with me, I don't count on everyone switching over with me. Am I still eligible for this program if only my line of the former plan is canceled?

2. In the event the above is a positive, is there any way to purchase a Moto X, while still appeasing the T-Mobile requirement of buying a phone through them?

Thanks!

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
The entire family would have to switch.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'm reasonably sure you can get reimbursed for ETF on any line in a plan.

I don't actually think you can get a Moto X through T-Mobile stores. Your only good bet is to buy a phone that resells well from T-Mo, pay it off, resell it, then buy a Motomaker Moto X.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 20, 2014

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

b0nes posted:

Is this just for monthly plans? I'm on prepaid. If this extends to prepaid I have another reason not to leave t-mobile

Edit: it does! I've been streaming for a while now and it hasn't counted against my data allocation.

can you re-verify a day or two later? by reading the release they seem to be touting their post-paid?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Oneiros posted:

Confirming this.
Nexus 5, up to date, nerd plan. Same setup that got a paywall prompt a month ago works fine now.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
How the gently caress do I get this new streaming stuff to work? I have the nerd plan, even asked customer service if my plan qualified and they said it did. But any time I try to use it with any of the music apps it acts just like I'm a normal free user.

And I turned WiFi off, so it's not that.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The bandwidth from streaming services don't count against your cap. You still have to pay for the service.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

nerve posted:

How the gently caress do I get this new streaming stuff to work? I have the nerd plan, even asked customer service if my plan qualified and they said it did. But any time I try to use it with any of the music apps it acts just like I'm a normal free user.

And I turned WiFi off, so it's not that.

I'm pretty sure it isn't for the nerd plan:

Who can get Music Freedom and when is it available?

Music Freedom is available starting June 18th to new and existing customers with a qualified Simple Choice Plan.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I checked the website.

For new customers, the Music Freedom deal has a cheap Simple Choice plan for $50/mo which includes 1 gb 4G LTE data which is pretty drat good. Of course you have to buy a new phone, so it'll be more, but after 2 years, $50/mo for 1gb data + free music streaming + unlimited talk and text is pretty drat good. If you do have a compatible phone with the Tmobile network, then it's $50/mo right away. There are more expensive service plans (for more data) for this deal which looks like it's separate from actual data plans.

For existing customers, we can switch to Simple Choice Plan: Unlimited Talk + Text which is $50, does NOT include any data unlike for new customers.

My Unlimited Value service plan contract ends in 2 days, so I'll probably switch to the $50 Simple Choice service plan, since it's exactly the same as my current $49.99 plan. I currently have a $20 Unlimited Nationwide 4G data plan which I hope they don't try to force me out of. So it'll be $70/mo for unlimited 4G data, text, talk, and music streaming. That is if Tmobile doesn't gently caress me over somehow, which they've done in the past.

ijii fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 20, 2014

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

The bandwidth from streaming services don't count against your cap. You still have to pay for the service.

Ohhhh wow I thoroughly misunderstood this

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Molten Llama posted:

Legere did say they'd like to extend it to all music services.

I'm not sure why they're holding a vote instead of just doing it if that's really the case, but that's what he said. Even assuming it requires providers to flag their packets somehow, you don't need customer input to get that ball rolling.

I'm assuming that it takes some time to do so they'd prioritize the ones that are more popular first

Now if only we can convince them that Plex traffic is totally only for music streaming

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Did some checking, it seems that I can't switch to the $50 Simple Choice plan and get Rhapsody for free, I have to move to a more expensive unlimited data plan. My unlimited plan is too old and won't be grandfathered in. Was hoping to avoid the crappier free apps.

Also it looks like new tmobile users have to get the $80 simple choice unlimited plan to use rhapsody for free. The other cheaper plans will only allow you to use rhapsody at a discount.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm assuming that it takes some time to do so they'd prioritize the ones that are more popular first

Now if only we can convince them that Plex traffic is totally only for music streaming
As cool as it would be, I doubt we'll ever see streaming services that don't use a centralized service whitelisted.

I was thinking it was cool that my music streaming (mainly pandora) wouldn't count against me, but I'm on one of the old value plans, and it doesn't apply. I'd be paying more if I migrated no matter what, but I rarely approach my 2GB limit anyway.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Updated the OP with new test drive info and music streaming info.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
It says on their prepaid plan page that you get the streaming deal http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Dunno about the $30 plan though since a lot of stuff doesn't seem to apply to it. Also it starts on the 22nd so you guys can stop trying to see if it works until then.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Issue resolved, sorry to clutter your thread. Carry on.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 21, 2014

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

Oneiros posted:

Awesome, hopefully this isn't a fluke. Was thinking switching over to cricket for better coverage but this definitely keeps me on the nerd plan.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Burden posted:

Updated the OP with new test drive info and music streaming info.

You should update it to change the 500MB of data on Simple Choice to 1GB.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Oneiros posted:

It says in my account settings I am allowed 100mb of hotspot data out of the 5gb they give me.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

b0nes posted:

It says in my account settings I am allowed 100mb of hotspot data out of the 5gb they give me.

Fwiw: I have the $30 plan and have never seen that number change, even after tethering.

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

b0nes posted:

Been tethering like crazy the past few days and it still says 0/100 for me (nerd plan).

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

b0nes posted:

I don't have that quota listed anywhere I can find. I've seen screenshots of it but my account page just looks like this:

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Oneiros posted:

I don't have that quota listed anywhere I can find. I've seen screenshots of it but my account page just looks like this:

I think it may only show up in the mobile app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

So I bought an HTC One and went to walmart to buy the nerd plan. The SIM would not scan right at the register, they grab another one and the same thing happens. They end up just pushing it through and the T-Mobile associate tried to activate it for me. He calls and gives them the sim number and they tell him the system is down, but the activation is on hold and will go through once the system comes back up. The associate tells me that it should be up by tomorrow, but gives me his cell number and tells me to call him with my numbers tomorrow so he can make sure it all when through.

Well tomorrow came and my service was still giving me bullshit errors and no phone number. I call the guy and he checks it there. Apparently because they couldn't ring it up right it didn't get activated. So the guy tells me to bring the receipt and card to walmart(a different walmart, one hes at today). So I bring it in, but it turns out that they are out of them at that store and aren't getting any in for 2-7 days. Welp. He told me that the sim cards that are stocked are getting replaced with another color scheme or something and he well call me when they come it.

They guy was really cool but wow. worst part is, all the walmarts closer to me were out of stock, so I had to drive pretty far to get one. I can only guess that they were out of stock because they don't work anymore(can't get activated by walmart so you can activate the service) till the new and improved color schemes come in. Perhaps the old ones are off walmart inventory. :iiam: