Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Sober posted:

Mad Men also time jumps inbetween seasons but I guess that's mostly the virtue of not having to recast Sally and occasionally Glen (going back to the earlier seasons is really weird with them).

Does Mad Men really count as a time jump? I think it's pretty common for cable shows that air two months out of a year to have 1-1.5 years in between. Show is on its 7th season and 9 years have passed in show-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
They don't. Mad Men's 'time jumps' have been a marketing gimmick since the second season and have never impacted the plot in any significant way. They're only there to tease live viewers with the prospect of upcoming historical events. AMC wants viewers to ask "I wonder how Don will react to the moon landing?" or "how will an old warhorse like Burt view Nixon's withdrawl from Vietnam?" (as if both aren't incredibly dull).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wow, I can't even muster up the interest to watch the season finale to Game of Thrones. It really must have been a bad season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It was cool except for the plot of the dragon girl going absolutely nowhere.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
You know a show has gone off the rails when a minor character like The Hound gets more screen time than major characters like Jon Snow, Kelly C. and Tyrion. The episode literally spent 20 minutes of its runtime on some inane fanfiction-y showdown between Brienne and The Hound, but only 5 minutes depicting Tyrion's most pivotal, character-defining moment in the series.

edit: cutting Tyrion's escape also short-changed Jaime and his redemptive arc.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 19, 2014

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The Hound isn't really a minor character. Also, Jon Snow just had an entire episode about him, enough's enough.

Edit: other than people who've read the books, I don't see anyone complaining that Jamie's 'redemptive arc' is now bad and Tyrion killing his father wasn't a great scene because it was all too quick.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 19, 2014

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Mu Zeta posted:

It was cool except for the plot of the dragon girl going absolutely nowhere.

Problem is this has been happening for 3 seasons now :cheeky:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Has H&CF gotten any better after the pilot? That's the only episode I watched and it didn't make me want to watch any more.

It's gotten really boring and the punk girl gimmick is falling even flatter than it did in the pilot. I think I'm done with it.

Rarity posted:

Wow, I can't even muster up the interest to watch the season finale to Game of Thrones. It really must have been a bad season.

It's worth it if only to see how much the producers are playing it fast and loose with the book plots.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
There's also an argument about what Arya does or doesn't do before leaving the Hound, yeah?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rarity posted:

The season was good but the pacing was a little weird and the finale felt more like a traditional show finale rather than your typical GOT where episode 9 is more of the big shocking twist/reveal/mindfuck/<finale material goes here> and then the final episode is really a denouement. Don't know if that's the showrunners wanting a more traditional pace to the seasons now or trolling the audience or what-have-you. I've heard in general perhaps the book readers didn't like the finale as much as maybe just regular show watchers (like myself) did.

Irish Joe posted:

You know a show has gone off the rails when a minor character like The Hound gets more screen time than major characters like Jon Snow, Kelly C. and Tyrion. The episode literally spent 20 minutes of its runtime on some inane fanfiction-y showdown between Brienne and The Hound, but only 5 minutes depicting Tyrion's most pivotal, character-defining moment in the series.

edit: cutting Tyrion's escape also short-changed Jaime and his redemptive arc.
Having not read the books, but I suppose it's some weird balancing act Benioff/Weiss wanted to do. I heard they also pulled in stuff from the 5th/6th books or whatever (Don't really care on my end about the books). So I don't know if they felt like they spent already too much time in King's Landing or not and wanted to balance that off between what I now assume were "fan favourites". The whole episode devoted to Castle Black though, in that context, seems a little overindulgent when it could be that Tyrion's escape also happened in episode 9, giving that bit to breathe in episode 10 like it would have. I'm sure they'll devote plenty of time for it in the opener next season. Don't really want to know how the book executed it but I'm not running the show nor have read the books so for all I know that in the books it was mostly passive monologue/inner thought stuff not worth trying to show when the more important mechanical "X did Y" had to be shown.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Irish Joe posted:

They don't. Mad Men's 'time jumps' have been a marketing gimmick since the second season and have never impacted the plot in any significant way.

That's bullshit. The whole show is build around the concept of these characters living through a time of sweeping social changes and how they affect (or don't affect) them. In order to portray that, you kinda need time to pass "in universe".

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"Show us the hole in the wall" is a really terrible catchphrase for a gameshow.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Not if it's a gameshow where you give and/or receive sexual favors from strangers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Not if it's a gameshow where you give and/or receive sexual favors from strangers.

I can't wait for the Kinect version!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

I can't wait for the Kinect version!

You can enjoy the PC version in the meantime.
http://www.easylife.org/fufme/ (slightly nws)

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I'm not sure how many other people in this thread care about/follow TV criticism to the unhealthy extent that I do, but Todd Vanderwerff is leaving The AV Club to go to Vox. Which is pretty insane, especially considering how many of their best writers left to form The Dissolve last year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait, seriously? That sucks! What's a Vox?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
It makes sense. On the Dissolve he'd just be another guy critiquing movies and poo poo, but on Vox, he's the tv critic among the dozens of commie journalists/commentators on that site.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bown posted:

Wait, seriously? That sucks! What's a Vox?

Just from a quick peek at their page and seeing articles such as "17 Reasons not to trust Dick Cheney on Iraq" and "21 Charts that explain why the US is changing" I'd guess that it's Buzzfeed for "serious" news.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Just from a quick peek at their page and seeing articles such as "17 Reasons not to trust Dick Cheney on Iraq" and "21 Charts that explain why the US is changing" I'd guess that it's Buzzfeed for "serious" news.

There is a fair amount of click bait there, but there is a also a lot of excellent web journalism. Between that and the other newcomer FiveThirtyEight, it's the one that offers far more useful content.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

So I just powered through all of Broad City last night after reading a finale review of Playing House.

Holy poo poo is Broad City a funny show. I didn't know any of the actors (apart from some guest stars) but they sold me from the second episode onwards. The dynamic between the two leads was excellent and the supporting cast was rock solid, can't recommend it enough. Hope they get a second season.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Lugaloco posted:

So I just powered through all of Broad City last night after reading a finale review of Playing House.

Holy poo poo is Broad City a funny show. I didn't know any of the actors (apart from some guest stars) but they sold me from the second episode onwards. The dynamic between the two leads was excellent and the supporting cast was rock solid, can't recommend it enough. Hope they get a second season.

I haven't done any due diligence, but I'm 90% sure that the second season's already on the way.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Between those two shows this really is a good year for awesome funny female partnerships.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I couldn't get into Broad City myself. I didn't think it was particularly bad or anything, just that I never watched it and found myself saying "I want to see more of this."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lugaloco posted:

It's great, I was hooked from the moment I saw it. I went to NYC last year, and it captures the feel of the place better than virtually any other show set there.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uh, y'all can be pumped about this Unauthorized Saved By The Bell Story:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/unauthorized-saved-by-bell-tv-713208

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I'm gonna watch the hell out of the Saved by the Bell movie.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
That's not even the funniest movie announcement today.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh my god

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

itshappening.gif

This is amazing

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

You know what I could use right now? A gif of Key and Peele from Fargo, specifically the moment they come to the conclusion that "This is a dream!" because that pretty much sums up how I'm feeling about this.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

GreenNight posted:

Uh, y'all can be pumped about this Unauthorized Saved By The Bell Story:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/unauthorized-saved-by-bell-tv-713208

This is very surreal news because (at least those of us in our 20s-early 30s) grew up on this show- but I remember when TV used to show "Behind the Scenes TV Movies" of shows our parents used to watch. (I'm pretty sure there were Honeymooners and Brady Bunch ones in particular)

It's official- we've become old.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Who keeps funding these things, they keep losing shitloads of money every time then coming back for more. Either way, this is just too perfect.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Annakie posted:

I'm gonna watch the hell out of the Saved by the Bell movie.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

IRQ posted:

Who keeps funding these things, they keep losing shitloads of money every time then coming back for more. Either way, this is just too perfect.

This one was funded by a kickstarter.

Let that one sink in for a minute.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CaptainHollywood posted:

This is very surreal news because (at least those of us in our 20s-early 30s) grew up on this show- but I remember when TV used to show "Behind the Scenes TV Movies" of shows our parents used to watch. (I'm pretty sure there were Honeymooners and Brady Bunch ones in particular)

It's official- we've become old.

I'm so excited. I'm so exited. I am so scared!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I'm so excited. I'm so exited. I am so scared!

Speed will gently caress you up, Jesse.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I just finished the first season of Farscape yesterday, and I did not expect it to be THAT good. This show is better than Star Trek in all the ways that matter, holy poo poo. Better than all of the Star Treks, except maybe the original series. The characters drive the plot, and they are such strong characters, at that, multifaceted and dynamic. And, jesus christ, how did they make puppets so expressive? Rygel and Pilot are incredible feats of design. The Nerve/The Hidden Memory two-parter is as thrilling as anything I've seen from a sci-fi show, easily comparable to the Chain of Command two-parter from TNG.
Also worth mentioning, Farscape is unusually strong in terms of female characters, with Aeryn and Zhaan both being complex, rounded inviduals with agency, and from what little we see of Chiana in the first season, she seems that way as well. Also RIP PK Tech Girl. :smith:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
And the rest of the show is way better than the first season, which takes a while to find its legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And FarScape keeps getting better. The 1st season is easily the worst of the four and you need to watch Peacekeeper Wars for the finale.

edit: gently caress, beaten!

• Locked thread