Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Darius Gaiden, R-Type Delta, Thunderforce III and LIGHTENING FORCE

Edit: Oh, and I hear Einhander is good and not too tough.

I love R-Type and all, but I'm not sure Delta is a good game for new players. I'd recommend Final over it as I found it a good deal easier.

Then again maybe I'm broken because I also find Super R-Type a lot easier than R-Type 3.

d0s posted:

Blazing Lazers/Gunhed is not very difficult and is also one of the best shooters ever made. Any caravan-type shooter is going to not be very hard because the goal is racking up huge scores more than really precise gameplay.

Blazing Lazers is awesome as poo poo, as are all of Hudson's TG16 shmups, and none of them are very hard so they're great for beginners. It's too bad the Star Soldier games are going for crazy amounts these days, especially Soldier Blade which is probably the best shmup on the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Soldier Blade on TG-16 and Wii/PSN is perfect for a beginner. Nice difficulty curve (I still haven't beaten the last stage, perpetual beginner that I am) and a fun weapon system and great soundtrack.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

McCracAttack posted:

Dear Livejournal,

Ever since I burned through all the Castelvania games I've been missing that sort of hard (but not impossible) challenge. Just to kill a bit of time I sat down to play some Gradius today and much to my surprise I made it all the way to the last stage on a single life. I almost 1-CC'd Gradius without even trying. I never really considered myself the sort of person who could do that...

Got to give a shout to Recca.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t_Ve4Ljs8I

How the crap did they make 8 bit Nintendo do that.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Allen Wren posted:

So, I am seriously hilaribad at shooters of the ilk being discussed---definitely the vertical bullet hell type, but I'm also hugely bad at the classic ones that are more sedate and usually side-scroll. Like, "plonking a dollar or two in just to get through a stage, let alone many stages with which you might 1CC." What would the thread consider the best starter shooters, where you might actually have a chance at A) beating it and B) maybe learning something instead of just getting steamrolled?

A lot of people had already brought up games I would mention, but I'd also add Raiden Project for the PSX. It's Raiden 1 and 2 on one disc. Raiden doesn't really get bullet hell until later games in the series (and even then not as bad as say Cave or Psikyo does with their games).

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Gun Nac is an easy and fun shooter if you want to emulate or drop a lot of money.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The latest Raiden game dropped on PSN a couple weeks ago for around $20, if you want something new that isn't a danmaku game.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A lot of Compile's shooters are generally fairly easy - Blazing Lasers, MUSHA, etc - but I find 'em kinda dull, you tend to spend a lot of time just holding down the fire button for ten minutes per stage while you watch enemies die to your huge, screen-filling shots.

The fun of these games is either in figuring out the combination of powerups to give you attacks like that, or doing the opposite and increasing the challenge by giving yourself the worst weapons. I think this flexibility is one of the best things about Compile's shooters, it's not like they immediately give you a fully powered up superweapon to annihilate the game with, you have to actively seek out stuff to build up like that.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Stoomie posted:

Is there an actual established "GBA mod" for busted DS Lites? Or is it just a hack-job of taking the top panel off?

Some people are content with just ripping the top screen off, some people do case work to make it look good. The only hardware mod you need to do is wire something to a pin where the top screen connects so it thinks the top screen is still there. It does a check at boot to see if the top screen is connected. It actually skips this check if you set it to boot directly to the game in the menu and only have a GBA game in, but if it ever "forgets" your menu settings it might stop booting when it starts checking again.

Other than that just relocate the speakers and make holes for them. you can do this with a phat, too, but lites are more likely to have a broken hinge in my experience. Please don't do this to a working system.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As if there aren't 100 million DS units floating out there

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

The fun of these games is either in figuring out the combination of powerups to give you attacks like that, or doing the opposite and increasing the challenge by giving yourself the worst weapons. I think this flexibility is one of the best things about Compile's shooters, it's not like they immediately give you a fully powered up superweapon to annihilate the game with, you have to actively seek out stuff to build up like that.

Really? I feel like a lot of 'em give you the big spread weapons pretty early on, and once you've got them it's hard to lose them.

More than anything, I think those old Aleste or Aleste-esque Compile games just have really poor pacing, they feel like they drag on forever sometimes, even compared to other Compile games like Zanac. I wouldn't say I don't enjoy them, and the stuff they made at Raizing is great, I'd just rather play something faster these days.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

ReverendHammer posted:

A lot of people had already brought up games I would mention, but I'd also add Raiden Project for the PSX. It's Raiden 1 and 2 on one disc. Raiden doesn't really get bullet hell until later games in the series (and even then not as bad as say Cave or Psikyo does with their games).

Aw hell yeah Raiden! Raiden II was the first vertical shooter I ever played way back when I was a kid staying at a hotel in Indiana on vacation. It still to this day gets a ton of play on my MAME cabinet and xbox and it has aged extremely well.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Tyson Tomko posted:

Aw hell yeah Raiden! Raiden II was the first vertical shooter I ever played way back when I was a kid staying at a hotel in Indiana on vacation. It still to this day gets a ton of play on my MAME cabinet and xbox and it has aged extremely well.

Does this mean Raiden 2 is finally playable in MAME? That game's had issues working properly forever.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Allen Wren posted:

Clearly, you are loving with me.

Hang on, let me get a screenshot of the last place I died in one of these things. Even better, I'm uploading video.

"Unlimited" being the extra crazy hard mode. Novice on world ignition is manageable. Believe it or not, it's substantially easier and more forgiving than, say, Zanac.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

iastudent posted:

Does this mean Raiden 2 is finally playable in MAME? That game's had issues working properly forever.
No, nobody's gotten to working on the board it's on. That screenshot is probably from the PC version.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Zeether posted:

No, nobody's gotten to working on the board it's on. That screenshot is probably from the PC version.

Tyson said he had it playing on his MAME cab, that's why I was curious.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

iastudent posted:

Tyson said he had it playing on his MAME cab, that's why I was curious.

I may have been going crazy, I was probably thinking of the first one or something. When I get home I'll check and see, you've got me doubting myself like crazy now but I know I played some Raiden game a 1000 times.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It probably wasn't Raiden 2/DX, those games are notoriously hard to emulate and even the ports aren't as accurate as people would like.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

al-azad posted:

Well the thing is if you got a working system, you can sell it off to buy a broken one and still have a good deal of cash left over. So you come out ahead that way.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

RZA Encryption posted:

Some people are content with just ripping the top screen off, some people do case work to make it look good. The only hardware mod you need to do is wire something to a pin where the top screen connects so it thinks the top screen is still there. It does a check at boot to see if the top screen is connected. It actually skips this check if you set it to boot directly to the game in the menu and only have a GBA game in, but if it ever "forgets" your menu settings it might stop booting when it starts checking again.

Other than that just relocate the speakers and make holes for them. you can do this with a phat, too, but lites are more likely to have a broken hinge in my experience. Please don't do this to a working system.

I'm confused, don't GBA games play on the top screen? Do you swap the video wiring as well?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
GBA games play on the touch screen (bottom)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You can put them on either screen, actually. It's an option in the menu.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuhg6LkLjsI

Yeah. I'm really bad at these.

I'll definitely consider the names you guys have dropped, some of them I have played before, I've always loved Raiden. I know I've got the PC port of Raiden II somewhere in stratified layers of backups. But, like, as you'll see in the video, what you guys consider easy and what I consider easy are really not the same thing. That's not a joke video, that's me actually trying. It just looks like a joke.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Is it wrong that I want to swim in that like scrooge mcduck?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuhg6LkLjsI

Yeah. I'm really bad at these.

I'll definitely consider the names you guys have dropped, some of them I have played before, I've always loved Raiden. I know I've got the PC port of Raiden II somewhere in stratified layers of backups. But, like, as you'll see in the video, what you guys consider easy and what I consider easy are really not the same thing. That's not a joke video, that's me actually trying. It just looks like a joke.

Nothing for it but practice. Memorization is a part of it too; learning the patterns and so on. In Gradius especially you want to mow down those straight lines of enemies at the start of the stages ASAP so you can power your ship up. Also, I'm absolute trash with a d-pad when it comes to shooters. I need a stick, even a cheap one will do.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
I got the gameboy everdrive from Acid today. Its missing the sd card I paid extra for and she did such a hackjob on cutting the SD card slot the case is cracked.

The label she said she would put on is of course missing as well. I am glad I got it though. It had Kirby dream land 2 loaded in it and man I love that game.

Now that that saga is over, anybody have a neo Geo mobo they want to sell? I need to complete my supergun setup!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I received my ACID package today too! My EDGB is in good shape, pretty case, no label of course.

The TurboED 3D shell is....not so much a shell as it is a front thing sitting on top of the PCB? I don't really know what this thing is.

I got a free Pokemon crystal GB case, though! And my MVS cart was in there too. Those things are big~

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Quidnose posted:

I received my ACID package today too! My EDGB is in good shape, pretty case, no label of course.

The TurboED 3D shell is....not so much a shell as it is a front thing sitting on top of the PCB? I don't really know what this thing is.

I got a free Pokemon crystal GB case, though! And my MVS cart was in there too. Those things are big~

That's exactly what the 3D shell is. There's not really a way to have a case for the TurboED but it at least protects your pcb and makes it look decent inside the case.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

:eyepop: yep

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Quidnose posted:

Yeah, that's how the one I ordered is too. It's mostly a cosmetic dust cover for the part of the Turbo ED that sticks out when it's inserted. Any more and the Turbo ED wouldn't fit.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I got my package from Acid, as well, but it was just my EDGB. The Turbo ED, PS2 SATA adapter and Free McBoot were all conspicuously missing. So was the SD card I paid extra for on the EDGB. So, YMMV, I guess.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Hoooooooly poo poo.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
The EDGB does not play nice with the GB Boy Colour. It hard locks the system. I'll have to dig out my extreme purple GBC to use this. Either that, or the card I am using might be bad.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I was supposed to get my GBED today too, but it wasn't in the mailbox so I checked the tracking number and it got updated as "Your item was undeliverable as addressed at 8:25 am on June 19, 2014"! Rad! So I went to the post office to see if I could grab it there, and it turns out no I can not. The manager said it was probably because the apartment number was left off and gave me a phone number to call at 7AM tomorrow to try and wrangle the package over to me. Fun.

This sure is some adventure.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Soon to be poisoning some unfortunate city in China...

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

trunkwontopen posted:

The EDGB does not play nice with the GB Boy Colour. It hard locks the system. I'll have to dig out my extreme purple GBC to use this. Either that, or the card I am using might be bad.

It works fine with the GB Boy Colour, it's your sd card.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
I've recently been starting down the path of buying up old NES, SNES, and Genesis games to build a collection. To go along with that, I ordered a Retron 5. It got in today, and I'm mostly liking it so far.

It outputs stuff cleanly to 720p over HDMI, which is the main reason I got it. You can apply filters and stuff if that floats your boat, but clean pixels are the way to go for me. It does a really good job of replicating the audio in the games I've tried so far. I think there were a couple off notes in the first couple levels of Sonic 2, but it was really hard to tell if it was just my imagination. Also, playing Genesis games with a SNES controller is a weird thing you can do because of the emulation and button mapping stuff.

The controller that comes with it is just weird. They would have been better off cloning a SNES controller and adding menu buttons. It's not terrible, just a bit unusual and not well suited to any particular system. It also has an analog stick despite the fact that none of the Retron supported systems used one.

The build of the hardware is pretty decent. There's some cheap plastic in spots, but otherwise it's fine. It does grip Genesis carts too hard though, you have to use quite a bit of force to pull them out. I really hope that doesn't cause extra wear and tear. I also heard that putting in multiple cartidges was hugely inadvisable, so I haven't tried doing that yet. Kind of sucks to not be able to do that though.

There's one HUGE issue with it however: It deletes battery saves. I bid farewell to my Metroid Zero mission save, which sucks. It has save states, but that's not a replacement for battery saves. It is supposedly just a firmware bug, so a patch will likely come out to fix it eventually. They also do seem to push updates pretty frequently, which is nice.

I suspect the opinion here isn't super high of the Retron due to it emulating instead of actually being a hardware replica, but I'm finding it as a pretty good way to play old games easily. The new TV at my workplace also only supports HDMI, so this is kind of ideal for that kind of environment.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

trunkwontopen posted:

I've head this before, but I never had a problem with the everdrive on my GB boy.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Well I've decided to downsize my Famicom collection. I've decided I'm going to keep 40 games that hold a special place in my heart (as one Cassette drawer thing holds that many) and I'm selling the rest. If anyone's interested I'll make up a list of the games I'm selling (at least 140 or so) and make an SA-Mart thread. Shipping from Australia to America is comparable to Japan to America, right?

I am keeping my copy of Super Monkey Daiboken though, sorry guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Quick question. Does anyone know the name of the SFC game about an intergalactic bounty hunter? About all I remember is that it was a platform game. It was based on the character from two movies, and possibly a comic too. She comes to Japan tracking an escaped space prisoner, and either she or the alien set up a trap zone with no one else in it to battle it out. Except two technicians get inadvertently trapped in the zone as well. Excitement, danger and hilarity ensue.

Any ideas, I know the first movie had an English release. Also the alien had a little white face that would come out of its head like a snake.

• Locked thread